shape
carat
color
clarity

If a diamond ring is 250 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am sorry to hear this Kaleigh, I can tell how much you love and admire her and what a great lady she is. Hang in there. What a beautiful and special gift too.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks cymbrie and Lorelei. I did take the ring to the jewelers today. The surrounding stones are indeed single cuts. The center stone is a cross between an EC and an asscher. He had never seen anything like it.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2005 2:16:54 PM
Author: kaleigh

The center stone is a cross between an EC and an asscher. He had never seen anything like it.
The description sound intriguing...

On this forum, ''Asscher'' and ''square emerald cut'' are used for slightly different proportions of the same step cut model. What makes your stone resemble both while being neither? Older Asschers are often a bit rectangular (say, 1.1:1 or whereabouts). Is this what you mean by saying that the stone in your ring is somewhat in between?

I thought step cuts are more recent than that, but could easily be wrong with this.

Can''t wait to hear about the jeweler''s opinion on the piece and hopefully to see some pictures
2.gif

Any chance it may resemble a ''French cut''? The name corresponds to a later style, but the cutting solution (twisting the table 45 degrees on a square cut) may be earlier. See a line up of modern French cut diamonds HERE.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Ana,
No it doesn't resemble the french cut either. I am wrong to say asscher. It's an EC with a square emerald look to it. Like if you combined the two. Pics will be up some time on Friday. It's really a cool stone. I could also be wrong about the age too. Could be 300 plus years old?? Not positive.
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond jewelry that old would be quite a find. Anything can happen, but...

For once, I think you would recognize such a piece in a breath. The diamond cuts earlier than 1800 are very much unlike what is done today, especially not counting the early versions of the brilliant cut. Here's what I mean (link to ref. and example of table cuts - on an even earlier piece!). The cluster design would be unusual too.

I really don't know much about these at all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is that old, trust me... Anyway the more I think of it I would describe it as more of a primitive halo ring with a EC/ Square emerald cut center stone in 18K yellow gold. My grandmother is 94, and this would have been my great, great, great grandmothers ring. When I have time, I will take it to an antique expert that specializes in this type of jewelry. But pics will be up on Friday, hopefully.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait to see the pics. I am so curious
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh: I just PMed you...I''m absolutely DYING to see the pics of this treasure!!
3.gif

widget

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh -- so sorry to hear of your Nanny''s illness. My grandmother was so special to me. I grew up two houses away from her. She passed away nearly 2 years ago and there isn''t a day that goes by that I don''t think about her. I really miss her, and I unfortunately wasn''t there for her last days. I know you will treasure this time you have to spend with your Nanny.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the PM widget thanks. Pebbles wow you must really miss your grandmother. I will be a wreck when Nanny dies. We are so very close. But this time has been very special and I hope to have a little more time with her. I found out the stones are all single cuts and the center stone is a single cut as well. Even though it''s a different shape than the surrounding stones. I believe it was made in England that''s where my great, great, great grandmother came from. Nan comes Friday, can''t wait. We''ll take tons of pics and get all the angles for you guys!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Sweetie, what an amazing gift she has given you! I''m so sorry that she''s still not doing well. At least you have some time to spend with her, and lots of treasures to remember her by. Are the kids handling her illness okay? I hope so
1.gif

You are so lucky to have your nanny in your life still. I think she would love seeing you with her ring on.

I can''t wait to see the pics as the ring sounds absolutely beautiful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks researcher!! Ashley is handling it well. Rob is in denial, but that''s ok. He is so tender hearted and it''s what I expected of him. He went with me this afternoon and got to spend some time with her. She falls alseep mid sentence so you have to wait for her to wake up and then she finishes what she was going to say. I spend the mornings there and then take a break and go back in the afternoon. I have a private duty nurse during the night.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 5:51:20 PM
Thanks researcher!! Ashley is handling it well. Rob is in denial, but that's ok. He is so tender hearted and it's what I expected of him. He went with me this afternoon and got to spend some time with her. She falls alseep mid sentence so you have to wait for her to wake up and then she finishes what she was going to say. I spend the mornings there and then take a break and go back in the afternoon. I have a private duty nurse during the night.
2.gif

you're breaking my heart, kaleigh... i am so sorry to hear you are dealing with this. it must be breaking your heart as well. i wish you and your family strength through this difficult time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, didn''t mean to do that jcrow!!! It''s always been the two of us. My mom isn''t close with her and is in FLA for the winter. I am used to it. I closed my heart to mom years ago. So Nanny and I have always considered ourselves mother and daughter. She has given me so much love and support over the years. I am the one who is blessed, really.
5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 6:14:15 PM
Oh geez, didn''t mean to do that jcrow!!! It''s always been the two of us. My mom isn''t close with her and is in FLA for the winter. I am used to it. I closed my heart to mom years ago. So Nanny and I have always considered ourselves mother and daughter. She has given me so much love and support over the years. I am the one who is blessed, really.
5.gif

i know what you mean. for me it''s my cousin (my grandma''s neice) who i am close to. she''s helped me through all of life''s ups and downs. right now she''s helping plan a wedding.

((((hugs))))

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh- I have thought about this post for the past few days...My grandmother (Baba) died during the Christmas season five years ago..Before she died, she gave me her diamond earrings and pin. They were carried over from Russia by her mother when she was a little girl. I loved getting the earrings and pin. They are the prettiest/nicest diamonds I will ever own, but I loved her so much its hard to have them sometimes...I wear them for her.

I wish you the best during this hard time...I know what it is like to go through. I will keep you in my prayers/thoughts.

UCLABelle aka Dani

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dani, I''m sure you miss your Baba. Sounds like she gave you some beautiful pieces. I think it''s great you can wear them and think of her. jcrow, sounds like your cousin is a wonderful person to you and will enjoy helping you plan your special day.
1.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh,

Sorry to hear your nanny is not doing well. She must love you a lot yo give you such a family treasure. I''m sure she will be very happy to see you wear the ring. The ring sounds very interesting. I''m looking forward to seeing pics.

An

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa I am sorry to hear about your grandma.....

I know how she is important person in your life.
I hope you and Nanny share more and more wonderful moment together.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Art Noveau and Flower. She got to see it on me today. She had a big smile on her face. I will treasure it as I treasure her.
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, I''m so sorry that your nanny is ill. You have both been blessed to have had so many years together.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lisa- I am so sorry to hear that your nanny is not doing any better! Is she still having problems with her breathing? Losing family is so tough.. But the how lovely of her to give you such a special ring to remember her by! It sounds absolutely beautiful... I can''t wait to see the pictures. I''ll be back in Philly soon, by the way
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree MB, we have had many great years. Icekid, no she isn''t getting better. The breathing is very poor and she is just failing. I look forward to seeing you when you get home.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nan will take pics tomorrow, but they won''t be up till she gets home. We want to spend the day away from the computer.
2.gif
3.gif
9.gif
35.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited to see Lisa tomorrow. I hope to have a swell time
41.gif

And I will have the honor of meeting her grandmother.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2005 8:18:51 PM
Author: sevens one
I am so excited to see Lisa tomorrow. I hope to have a swell time
41.gif

And I will have the honor of meeting her grandmother.

Have a drink for me!
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh
sorry to hear about your grandma , but sure sounds like a neat ring. yeah...tell Nan to work on the pictures.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nan got some great pics, after she sobers up she will post them. Probably tonight.
3.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Ahem....yoohoo, Nan....we''re waiting...
3.gif

(Kaleigh...sober up?? Were you girls naughty this afternoon?
31.gif
)

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah we were good. Nan took awesome pics. We made sure to get them from every angle. After all this build up we didn't want to let you guys down. Patience peeps!!!
11.gif
Also I took Nan to visit Nanny. Nanny adored her , they had a nice chat!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results