shape
carat
color
clarity

IDOL, Do you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Brooke had my vote. Of course, I grew up humming "You''re So Vain".
20.gif

Perfect song choice, beautifully done!
36.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the wig guy looks like Taylor Hicks under there!
23.gif
I''d wear the wig, too!!

I really didn''t love any of the guys this week. The guy with the dreads has a good voice if I don''t look at him. I can''t stand the dreadlocks. (bad experience with a waitress once
14.gif
)

I love Ramiele.

Is it just me, or did Paula seem a bit more sober??

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 11:52:02 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Maybe the wig guy looks like Taylor Hicks under there!
23.gif
I''d wear the wig, too!!

I really didn''t love any of the guys this week. The guy with the dreads has a good voice if I don''t look at him. I can''t stand the dreadlocks. (bad experience with a waitress once
14.gif
)

I love Ramiele.

Is it just me, or did Paula seem a bit more sober??
OMG! I thought the exact same thing! She was actually coherent and made a lot of sense for once.

Somebody write this day down!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No real surprises tonight...I did feel bad for Alexandrea, and Alaina...and was a wee bit surprised that Luke, who is one of my hometown favorites, stuck around...

It was a strange week. Honestly, not one of these singers has really "stuck out" besides David Archuleta...the rest have really been "meh" to me. fortunately no one''s teeth have been messed up this year, LOL!

I did really hate it when Alaina got cut and threw sort of a hissy fit. I felt bad for her but WOW! I''ve never seen so much crying from a contestant who got cut on this show. It was .... weird!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I missed the results show.

So Alexandrea got cut and Cruella stayed?

Alaina threw a hissy? I''m trying to imagine. "No. I won''t go! It''s not fair" ???

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
She got cut, and then didn''t want to sing cuz she was "embarrassed". HELLO,take it fair and square - all the other fallen Idols in the past 6 seasons had to do the very same.... hasn''t she seen the show?!?! LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly, I think it''s crappy they ask them to sing after being cut in the first place. Who feels like belting one out on air after the nation just voted you off? I''ve said it since the first season, I think that''s asking a lot. Having said that, I was suprised she cried that much...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I didn't think Alaina was throwing a fit, she seemed truly shocked (as was Kady, did you see her stunned look when they called Alaina's name instead of her own?) and was afraid she'd sound terrible if she sang. She's a hormonal 17 year old and I didn't think it was a terrible tantrum so much as an I'm not ready to go and I'm embarrassed that I'm standing up here crying uncontrollably. She said as much to Ryan, very quietly, when he hugged her.

This year overall is just plain strange. There are some good singers, but not the same pop star quality as in past years.

There's something about the rocker chick I dig, maybe it's that she isn't always trying to get camera time, she just sings and then backs away; you can see the others scrambling to be directly behind the singer who gets kicked off while he/she sings and she's just hangin' out in the wings. I think Carly, David A, Syesha and Hernandez are going to do well.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I also think it is difficult for them to sing after being cut, but I find they often seem to give their best performance on their way out the door. Sometimes I sit there and think that if they had just sung that well while they were competing, they might''ve stayed a little longer!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, I agree, I wouldn''t call it a fit. I think she just got taken by surprise, as did a whole lot of people.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I agree, it was weird.

I think some of the contestants are a bit too big for their britches, especially considering so many have had failed deals thus far.

I''m quite disappointed so far, hopefully when it''s down to the top 12, we''ll see some better performances (although I really don''t care about the "performance", I''d much rather here a good singer)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 1:27:46 AM
Author: monarch64
I''ve never seen so much crying from a contestant who got cut on this show. It was .... weird!

You know ... I think I''m more surprised that it hasn''t happened BEFORE now. What a hard task for someone who is *not* a professional yet ... and a teenager to boot. Glad she ultimately sang & got it together about 1/2 way through the song. Have there been other 17 yr old girls on & cut?? Just that one who made it to 2nd place ...

ANYHOO

Re: the season as a whole. Though the "performances" have been uneven .. I actually think the VOICES of this 24 (ha, 23 -- not Amy Davis) are the best ever. Seems like they chose almost entirely on VOICE & control & range rather than star-quality/charisma etc.

Re: the other eliminations. THANK GOODNESS WIGGY is gone -- so we never have to see that explained or -- see him BALD!
32.gif
No wonder they were questioning his "authenticity". Keep it Real WIGGY. Ditch the piece. Heck -- it''s not even a "piece" -- It''s a friggin PILE o''Fake Hair. Blech. And that other eliminated dude -- three words: statutory rape accusations. According to the tabs -- he fathered a kid with a 14 yr old when he was 17/18. Bet IDOL is glad to see him & his burgeoning scandal LONG GONE. Alexandrea had a bad night. Too bad because she could have gone farther with the right song. I think similar looking/demographic/category singers are (unfairly?) judged against each other and Syesha is a bit prettier & Asia is a stronger singer/more personality/sassier. She suffered only in comparison. (Lemmie say I don''t agree with that kind of "profiling" AT ALL - but my hunch is it exists -- just like the incredibly similar looking blondes are all judged against each other .. and the groovy/funky/wackjobs are judged against each other ... and the dreamy, hearthrob boys and the edgy rocker dudes)

I am not sold on David Archeletta being unbeatable. Agree he is special/talented/born to do this. But think its too early to tell. He could make a mistake or have a voice-cracking Brady Bunch style horrorshow or just become cloying. Is America ready for Earnest Idol? Or do we still crave SIZZLE?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Actually I think she didn''t want to sing because she was crying SO hard and it was interrupting her voice with sobs, and she was embarrassed that she was having such a hard time getting that under control.....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 11:16:42 AM
Author: Ellen
Kim, I agree, I wouldn''t call it a fit. I think she just got taken by surprise, as did a whole lot of people.
Ditto.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 12:56:43 PM
Author: decodelighted

I've never seen so much crying from a contestant who got cut on this show. It was .... weird!
You know ... I think I'm more surprised that it hasn't happened BEFORE now. What a hard task for someone who is *not* a professional yet ... and a teenager to boot.
Um, ditto. I don't think any non-performers (especially non-teenager non-performers) have room to judge her. That is not an easy situation to be put in, and I really felt for her.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 1:08:45 PM
Author: musey

I''ve never seen so much crying from a contestant who got cut on this show. It was .... weird!

You know ... I think I''m more surprised that it hasn''t happened BEFORE now. What a hard task for someone who is *not* a professional yet ... and a teenager to boot.

Um, ditto. I don''t think any non-performers (especially non-teenager non-performers) have room to judge her. That is not an easy situation to be put in, and I really felt for her.

While I understand the sentiment, I respectfully disagree. We may not have "room to judge her", but she''s there to be judged. Did she know what she was getting into, really? Maybe not, but if she''s seen the show..ever..she knew about this part. Does that make it easier? I''m sure not. But it is what it is.

I think they have found some amazing singers who are quite young, and I''m glad that they were discovered so early and that they have amazing careers ahead of them. But, I think the age limit needs to be set at 18. I know it''s not a magic number or anything, but maybe if the contestants aren''t wondering what their classmates are going to say if and when they''re cut, they won''t have such a hard psychological battle.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 1:58:04 PM

While I understand the sentiment, I respectfully disagree. We may not have 'room to judge her', but she's there to be judged. Did she know what she was getting into, really? Maybe not, but if she's seen the show..ever..she knew about this part. Does that make it easier? I'm sure not. But it is what it is.
She was there to be judged on her performance ability. Not on how well she handles getting kicked off a reality show
20.gif
I'm sure she knew how the show worked (um, duh), but she still cried. Frankly, I can't believe how few people do cry onstage. I don't think that the fact that she was on TV gives anyone the right to harshly criticize her over her reaction (which she obviously could not control).

Then again, I obviously can sympathize with these people, and I'll never think that criticizing those in the spotlight over things they can't control is justifiable. I just cannot understand what purpose it serves. I think that's sort of a fundamental difference between people, though, so obviously I'm not trying to "convince" anyone of anything, just trying to explain my point of view.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 2:18:11 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/29/2008 1:58:04 PM
she''s there to be judged.
She was there to be judged on her performance ability. Not on how well she handles getting kicked off a reality show
20.gif
I see both sides ... people have the right to opinions about it but I do think its UNKIND to judge her too harshly. What people *think* they can handle or how they *think* they''ll react is very different from what ACTUALLY happens in a situation. She agreed to the competition because she thought she could handle being kicked off & do what was expected of her (cruel or not). Unfortunately she didn''t know herself that well -- GASP -- she just turned 17!

Re: the singing after they get kicked off .. DH & I fast-forward through it everytime. WHY OH WHY do producers think we want to see the MOST AWFUL performances AGAIN??? Is it just the "dance sad monkey dance" aspect of it??? I''d much rather see the BEST performances again -- but I guess that would give away who the front-runners are. Find another time-killer SADISTIC PRODUCERS.
20.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I think the idea behind it is to give them a last chance to make an impression on someone (in theory, a head-hunter for a record label). I don't think it's worth that off-chance, though. And really, let's be honest... they probably do it in the hopes of something dramatic happening, like Alaina's exit last night. And that people will talk about it. Like we're doing right now.
3.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I always kind of imagined it was for the purpose of someone thinking

How did I get kicked off? I''m good. Give me another chance.
This one''s for all those record producers out there.

"Hopelessly devoted to Hooooooowwwwwwllllll. Howl. Howl. Hoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I agree she is there to be judged on her performing/singing ability and not her reactions. But, that is reality television. I don''t think it''s kind to judge her harshly, and all I said was it was "weird" to see. This is why I don''t watch many reality shows, I think the producers try their hardest to achieve these circumstances.

Part of my reaction is because I don''t understand why someone would get so upset over being kicked off. I get that this is their "big chance", but really, for the truly talented, there will be more chances if they continue to put in the effort.

Completely agree on the "dance monkey" deco. Having said that, I remember some of my favorite performances have been their farewells. Sometimes when the stress is off (assumingly), they really step up their game. Josh Gracin was a contestant years ago, had a phenomenal last performance, immediately got a contract and released several songs on country radio. So, I see how it can work for a few.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 4:57:21 PM

Part of my reaction is because I don''t understand why someone would get so upset over being kicked off. I get that this is their ''big chance'', but really, for the truly talented, there will be more chances if they continue to put in the effort.
Yes and no. I know many extremely talented and extremely hard-working actors and singers, who are still struggling to find opportunities 10, 15, 20 years after initially beginning their careers. The business is about a heck of a lot more than talent and effort.

The great thing about American Idol, in my opinion, is that it gives an opportunity to singers who would otherwise be deemed "unmarketable" by record labels. Not that that necessarily applies to this Alaina girl, but it''s true for many of the contestants. People like Taylor Hicks, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, etc. etc.... they would never have found success without the show, and had they been kicked off early, their opportunities would have been severely stunted. Every additional week on the show gives them more of a chance to endear themselves to "America" and create a fan base, and the greater their fan base while on the show, the higher their chances for scoring gigs or a record deal outside of the show.

One of my acquaintances was on the third season of American Idol, and made it to the top 12. He was being courted by a record label with a promise of a record deal if he made it to the top 4. When he didn''t, they dropped the deal.

So, considering that Alaina is/was more talented than several people who are still contestants, and the fact that her opportunities will be that many fewer after having been kicked off in the second week (as opposed to the third, sixth, tenth)... I can''t say I blame her (or anyone else) for crying.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock

You know ... I think I''m more surprised that it hasn''t happened BEFORE now. What a hard task for someone who is *not* a professional yet ... and a teenager to boot. Glad she ultimately sang & got it together about 1/2 way through the song. Have there been other 17 yr old girls on & cut?? Just that one who made it to 2nd place ...

I am surprised there haven''t been more break downs too. Idol has had lots of young Top 12 contestants, and they have probably had quite a few more in the top 24 that I can''t recall.

Let''s see...young top 12ers:

*Dianna Degarmo was about 15 or 16 (and came in 2nd). She seemed to be grateful just to have made it that far.
*Paris Bennett was 16 and made it to the top 5 or 6. She took her news with a LOT of poise.
*Sanjaya was 17, and well that''s all I''ll say about that.
*Jordin, last year''s winner was 17, so obviously she didn''t get emotional about being kicked off.
*Jasmine Trias from Season 3 was like 16 or 17. She cried pretty hard one night when she got a bad review from the judges.
*Camile, the other girl from Hawaii was 18 maybe, and she did cry quite a bit when she was kicked off. I remember she had quite a time with her farewell performance of "goodbye yellow brick road"
*That Josh Stevens kid was 16
*That Mikalah Gordon girl a few seasons back was 16 or 17. I don''t remember whether she cried, but my goodness was she ridiculous sometimes.
*Kevin "Chicken Little" was 16
*Lisa Tucker was 16

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH EEEEEMMMMMMMMMM GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So many IDOL scandals this week -- not enough time to recount them all! "Lez" pix (puh-leeze--standard Myspace fare), Male Stripper
6.gif
, Jessica Alba''s PUNK TIRADE against a) Your Mama -and- b) Santa Claus

But

It''s 80''s night and I''m feeling ... okayish.

Here''s the rumored lineup of songs ...

1-Everytime you go away
2-what about love
3-tainted love
4-the greatest love of all
5-father figure
6-open arms
7-rebel yell
8-the rose
9-bette davis eyes
10-celebration
11-call me
12- always something there to remind me
13-whats love got to do with it
14-hurts so good
15-we built this city
16-every breath you take

Who will sing what? Will there be lap-dancing? ONLY TIME WILL TELL ...

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
It''s the first commercial break, so I thought I''d kick off the comments on tonight''s performances.

I have NO IDEA why Luke picked that song. I thought he sounded horrible and it was just as cheesy as Wham''s version, which I only like for the cheesy George Michael 80''s factor...doesn''t translate as modern.

I actually really liked David''s performance and didn''t think it was too gloomy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay ... so, for starters, my song spoilers were ALL KINDS OF WRONG. Those peeps are getting clever with faked leaks hmmmmmm????

Also: I think I''ve gone crazy. Still high on the fumes of my Taylor-Hicks-4-Da-Win longshot victory, I entered into a bet with my DH last night. The odds: 10 x 1. The bet: $40 My pick to win: JASON CASTRO. With everyone & their brother predicting a David Archeletta win, this is clearly cuckoo -- but I''ve got a FEELING about it. I just don''t see America picking, say, Josh Groban as their IDOL. Let''s remember: Clay lost to Ruben. Whatshername lost to Fantasia. Katherine lost to Taylor. It''s not always THE BEST SINGER. There''s more to it -- a kind of magnetism/star quality/sizzle/sumptin sumptin. We''re not electing a POPE. Its a POP STAR.

Anyhoo. Just putting it out there. I''m NUTZ. And if I''m right -- $400 smackers closer to some studs or snuggies!
3.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
So many IDOL scandals this week -- not enough time to recount them all! "Lez" pix (puh-leeze--standard Myspace fare), Male Stripper , Jessica Alba''s PUNK TIRADE against a) Your Mama -and- b) Santa Claus

deco, pleeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseee, I''m not as smart as you - What does this mean? I''m not ''connected''

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Deco, I''m with you. I just love Jason Castro. My bf has quite an ear for music and me not so much, I just know what I like... He thought that Jason has a voice similar to Damien Rice and tht he would be one of those guys who could make a CD that could be listened to start to finish with a great mellow tune. I just think he''s adorable. DOn''t get me wrong... I do love David, but I think you may be right about how the voting doesn''t necessairly go for the best singer...
Interested to see the girls tonight. Not many are standing out to me. But I do like Brooke...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 8:15:23 AM
Author: Starset Princess
So many IDOL scandals this week -- not enough time to recount them all! ''Lez'' pix (puh-leeze--standard Myspace fare), Male Stripper , Jessica Alba''s PUNK TIRADE against a) Your Mama -and- b) Santa Claus
deco, pleeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssseee, I''m not as smart as you - What does this mean? I''m not ''connected''
LOL. I think what you mean is you "have a life" and a "full time job"! Will try to find links for you but the summary/translation:

"Lez" pix -- someone found Ramilie''s myspace page and there were pix of her grabbing the hooters of some other sushi waitresses. Fully clothed, just "honk honk" funny web pix.

Male stripper -- turns out David Hernandez was both a bartender at a gay club --AND-- a male stripper (for mostly male clientele). Idol producers have commented on this & said "no big deal" -- Nikki Mckibbon from season one was a stripper and whatevs. People say Simon commented "Pretty good for a stripper" last night under his breath after David''s performance but I didn''t notice it.

Jessica Alba Punk Tirade -- Whathisname, the guy that looks like a lady, has some offensive video on You Tube telling people he hopes their mom is, um, attacked by Santa Claus. Haven''t seen it but it doesn''t surprise me. Kids today do all kinds of stupid stuff. Who can predict a 20 million peep audience?

Hope that helps!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 7:58:55 AM
Okay ... so, for starters, my song spoilers were ALL KINDS OF WRONG. Those peeps are getting clever with faked leaks hmmmmmm????

Also: I think I''ve gone crazy. Still high on the fumes of my Taylor-Hicks-4-Da-Win longshot victory, I entered into a bet with my DH last night. The odds: 10 x 1. The bet: $40 My pick to win: JASON CASTRO. With everyone & their brother predicting a David Archeletta win, this is clearly cuckoo -- but I''ve got a FEELING about it. I just don''t see America picking, say, Josh Groban as their IDOL. Let''s remember: Clay lost to Ruben. Whatshername lost to Fantasia. Katherine lost to Taylor. It''s not always THE BEST SINGER. There''s more to it -- a kind of magnetism/star quality/sizzle/sumptin sumptin. We''re not electing a POPE. Its a POP STAR.

Anyhoo. Just putting it out there. I''m NUTZ. And if I''m right -- $400 smackers closer to some studs or snuggies!
3.gif
I''m with you on this deco. Though I have to rewind the tivo and watch his performance twice to actually hear what he sounds like (I''m so hypnotized by his eyelashes during the closeup shots, that I completely zone out and can''t hear a thing).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results