shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas to set this John Dyer cushion topaz?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Electric indeed! What a colour. And I love the perfect concave cut.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not the same. I just assumed yours was electric blue as it looks so... electric. Here is an overview of Topaz colours excluding London Blue. They look different once cut. Mine is an electric blue but it resembles yours in terms of colour.
7C7D4331-4FEC-4FDA-8608-EF41856AABFA.jpeg
@Acinom

It is sold as Swiss blue. Is that the same as electric blue? Sorry total noob I just got it cos I loved the cut and color

23C8EA79-F90C-409D-AB3B-C8C5C0B85652.jpeg

One more pic in daylight
AA3C57C4-0207-47C6-8D1D-4B7CED6B31C9.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s not the same. I just assumed yours was electric blue as it looks so... electric. Here is an overview of Topaz colours excluding London Blue. They look different once cut. Mine is an electric blue but it resembles yours in terms of colour.
7C7D4331-4FEC-4FDA-8608-EF41856AABFA.jpeg

Oh thanks! Electric blue looks fab. Will love to have some one day too.

I think the cut really helps the Swiss blue topaz “pop” and probably gives more contrast? Not sure I’ll appreciate the cut as much in a much smaller stone or in much darker colors (like dark blues or reds) but it’s really really nice on the Swiss blue.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I just got my cad for the convertible ring/pendant setting. Does it look fine or anything that can be refined/improved on?

FEC14D43-21AE-476A-B123-12E867E58362.jpeg

I am asking for the bail part to have some diamonds too:
E8364DFF-450E-45B6-A7F5-580CFA7552E9.jpeg

Any recommendations re:
- shank width
- ring thickness
- basket
Or anything else?

Is the halo fine? Or too boring?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Crystal_Dreams this is the convertible design i’d suggested in my paraiba pendant thread. Maybe you can consider since you can’t decide on making a pendant or ring? ;)2

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooooh that’s gorgeous!!

Caysie and I have been researching convertible ideas for my blueberry sapphire :) I would love to see how this turns out!! I am very tempted for my Paraiba too!

I’m a little worried the halo for my blueberry is going to end up too big... (I got a suite of OMCs from Caysie for the halo), but I suppose I’m a PSer at heart. Too big? What?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just got my cad for the convertible ring/pendant setting. Does it look fine or anything that can be refined/improved on?

FEC14D43-21AE-476A-B123-12E867E58362.jpeg

I am asking for the bail part to have some diamonds too:
E8364DFF-450E-45B6-A7F5-580CFA7552E9.jpeg

Any recommendations re:
- shank width
- ring thickness
- basket
Or anything else?

Is the halo fine? Or too boring?
I think it looks great. :geek2: I think the halo here is supposed to look "boring" because your blue topaz is such an interesting cut that any halo would be fighting a losing battle to command attention. The focus of the eye should be on the topaz and not halo.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question; if you put diamonds on the bail, and that part is a moving part, might that also mean that you make that part more structurally delicate? I mean, considering they gotta drill holes in that to set the diamonds, you could be looking at loss of metal where structurally, it may be worth thinking about.

I have not done rings like this before so I could totally be talking out of my ass...lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the design, certainly not boring by any stretch! This will allow the amazing stone to be the star of the show!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh that’s gorgeous!!

Caysie and I have been researching convertible ideas for my blueberry sapphire :) I would love to see how this turns out!! I am very tempted for my Paraiba too!

I’m a little worried the halo for my blueberry is going to end up too big... (I got a suite of OMCs from Caysie for the halo), but I suppose I’m a PSer at heart. Too big? What?

How big are your omcs? I think should be fine? I’ve seen big halos that looks fab. Can’t wait to see yours too. :)

I think it looks great. :geek2: I think the halo here is supposed to look "boring" because your blue topaz is such an interesting cut that any halo would be fighting a losing battle to command attention. The focus of the eye should be on the topaz and not halo.

Ah true.

Question; if you put diamonds on the bail, and that part is a moving part, might that also mean that you make that part more structurally delicate? I mean, considering they gotta drill holes in that to set the diamonds, you could be looking at loss of metal where structurally, it may be worth thinking about.

I have not done rings like this before so I could totally be talking out of my ass...lol

Nono. That’s a good question. Stuff i’ll never think about...
I wanted the bail to match the halo if it makes sense?

I love the design, certainly not boring by any stretch! This will allow the amazing stone to be the star of the show!

Thank you. Hope it turns out well.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My jeweller said the shank is 3mm. Is that too fat?

Also does the shank look too thick from the side?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think a 3mm shank sounds right. You want this ring to be structurally sturdy, and 3mm will not look too fat given such a large center stone!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I looked at all of John Dyer’s topaz, and this is the one I wished I could have! Good choice. I personally think the color would look great with white gold, but otherwise your design is great.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a 7.8mm round.. and the OMCs are 2.8mm :oops:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think a 3mm shank sounds right. You want this ring to be structurally sturdy, and 3mm will not look too fat given such a large center stone!

Ok... so my jeweller says must have thick band cos the stone is so big. And the bottom band must be wider (5mm) so that the ring won’t spin. A bit worried I won’t be used to the thick band but I think probably should take expert advice over comfort concerns...

I looked at all of John Dyer’s topaz, and this is the one I wished I could have! Good choice. I personally think the color would look great with white gold, but otherwise your design is great.

Thanks! There is a slightly smaller cushion that’s still available if you are interested? I was considering that too but in the end I decided to get the bigger cushion to see how I feel about wearing big stones. Anyway I think all his stones are so interesting. The stone is really mesmerizing irl.

It’s a 7.8mm round.. and the OMCs are 2.8mm :oops:

I think it will be fine and look great. Can’t wait to see yours. :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ok... so my jeweller says must have thick band cos the stone is so big. And the bottom band must be wider (5mm) so that the ring won’t spin. A bit worried I won’t be used to the thick band but I think probably should take expert advice over comfort concerns...

Woah, I thought the shank width would be the band width. Your jeweler may be right, but that will take some getting used to, I imagine. I usually wear 1.5mm-2mm, but lots of men wear 5mm bands, so as long as the fit is comfortable it may not be too bad?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could do a double band like @whitewave instead of a single thick band. Would look lovely with the halo.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg....wow

That is spectacular!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHOA!!!!:eek2: Who's your jeweler! I want one like THAT!! :mrgreen2:

I'm sure you're going to take lots of pictures but please please for me take pictures of the underside. I would love to see how he got that to work!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous result!!! Your ring is stunning!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I love the finished ring. Gorgeous. :geek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results