shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal setting for an asscher- need some input! pave versus plain platinum band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diana682

Rough_Rock
hey everyone! i am new to this website but have been lurking around for quite some time. my boyfriend and i are in the very beginning stages of looking at engagement rings (yay!) and i have just been browsing online to figure out what i like. we are going to go looking in the diamond district in the next few weeks to look in person

i think i am in love with asschers. they are very me- i dont like overly sparkly/shimmery rings from what i''ve seen in person. (which surprised me, because i thought i would love them. but overly shimmery rings just dont jive well with my own personal style) i am so in love with the clean simplicity of the asscher and i think they are very mesmerizing.

now- i am a little torn on what kind of a band i would pair with an asscher. a part of me has always loved pave settings (a single row) and a part of me feels that a simple platinum band really displays the asscher well and allows it to shine. i wonder if a pave setting will compete with the beauty of the asscher. another idea i had was to do a platinum band and then for the actual wedding band do a nice clean simple pave band. thoughts?

a little background about me- if i had to describe my style it would be clean, classic, understated. i rarely wear jewelry and if i do- simple stud earrings or a pendant necklace. i am really a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal :)

i want to go look in person and see how they look on my finger, but i am wondering if any experienced asscher owners or people in the diamond profession have some input as to how asschers should be set?

thanks!
diana

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Diana!

I personally don''t own an asscher but I LOVE THEM! I''m also more of a BLING person BUT the reason I''m posting is that I know many ppl who sound a lot like you. They all have gone for the simple clean lines of a plain band.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
this Daniel K. For something simple and stunning, Laurenthepartier's bezel asscher is beautiful and classic:
asscher.71.JPG

Also, welcome!
35.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a nice little
2.gif
asscher for ya! I like the plain white gold/platinum bands with asschers. To me you dont want
to distract from the mesmerizing stone. Clean, simple and no distractions!

EC%20flower%20shot.jpg

Edit - BTW, this little beauty belongs to DiamanteBlu!

diana682

Rough_Rock
wow! gorgeous! do you know how many carats that is? it looks huge!

yeah- i feel like deep down i do love a simple platinum band. i think whats confusing me is that everyone else in the world seems to love pave, sidestones, etc. i really dont have much experience with this sort of thing...

i think i also need to see what looks great in person

does anyone have experience with the diamond district in nyc? will there be asschers set in pave/plain bands readily available to try on?

thanks!
diana

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun project! I adore Asschers.

Here''s what I''d suggest if you went the pave route. Hands down my favorite.

lovey4.jpg

If you want a cleaner, simpler look where the stone is the star, here''s my square emerald cut Aqua.

Aqua7821.JPG

There''s many settings on here, just type "Asscher setting" in the search box, you''ll get lots of threads with pics!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Musey''s thread about her ring. I hope she doesn''t mind. I know it''s a favorite among the PS community.

diana682

Rough_Rock
wow! i love them all! why are diamonds so addicting? ever since my boyfriend and i have started talking about getting engaged, i just cant stop thinking about rings rings rings! and all of these forums are so much fun.

i have yet to see an asscher in person. i really hope i love them as much in person as i love them on the web. can i expect that its going to look 1000X more amazing in person?

oh and do other people obsess about diamonds the way i obsess about asschers? :)

-diana

diana682

Rough_Rock
oh- and the square emerald is gorgeous- but lacks the octagon shape that i love- is this because of the prongs or is it more squarish to begin with?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:05:24 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Here is Musey's thread about her ring. I hope she doesn't mind. I know it's a favorite among the PS community.
Thanks, Beach
1.gif
There are some better pictures of it (once I learned how to photograph my ring much better) in my wedding band thread.

Date: 3/6/2009 12:17:04 PM
Author: diana682
i have yet to see an asscher in person. i really hope i love them as much in person as i love them on the web. can i expect that its going to look 1000X more amazing in person?
It really depends on you and your own eye... it will be 1000x different in person, for sure. Looking at pictures of any cut doesn't really give an accurate picture of its 'personality' in real life. Just go with an open mind
1.gif

Here is a video comparison of 5 asschers in pretty comparable ct. weights. Even more videos here.

As for settings, I personally tend to like something a little more unique than diamonds-in-the-band or no-diamonds-in-the-band, but that's my personal preference.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:18:31 PM
Author: diana682
oh- and the square emerald is gorgeous- but lacks the octagon shape that i love- is this because of the prongs or is it more squarish to begin with?
Thanks diana. It''s the cut that makes it square. SE cuts don''t have the wide pronounced clipped corners the Asscher cut does.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love that flower shot of Ellen's square aquamarine. Simply stunning!

diana682, my advice would be to see as many Asscher + setting combos as you can...get a feel of what works for you. But you also need to know what carat-size Asscher are you planning to get as certain settings work better with larger center Asschers. I had orginally planned on getting an Asscher for my GF who finds Round Briliiants too common but budget constraints limit me to the smaller ones which tend to get overwhelmed by the paved setting that my GF loves. Eventually I picked a Daussi-cut cushion in a classic paved halo setting.

If I had to pick a setting for an Asscher, it will be a delicate paved band. But this antique setting also rocks and was my no.2 pick. http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2100

Don't rush the process. The right combo will 'speak' to you...and you would have found your ring! It won't be easy but it's gonna be FUN! I never looked at diamonds until now and now that I had... I'm hooked! Lucky GF...
19.gif

diana682

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice! i cant wait to go look at lots of rings in person. i have read that you need to go up in cut and clarity for an asscher which means you may not get as large of a diamond as you would in different cuts given a certain budget. i am not sure what size we are going for. probably between 1.5-2 carats i would guess. i do think that a simple band lets more budget go towards an amazing center stone. i think trying on lots of rings will really help...

and your gf is a lucky girl! i do not know how my boyfriend will take to the ring shopping. he is very much a guy''s guy and i dont know if he is as fascinated by diamonds as i am :) he is very much of the mindset that i should pick out exactly what i want and prob wont have much of an opinion! haha!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
As a former asscher solitiare owner, I strongly advise that you go with a pave band. I really wanted a plain platinum solitaire setting, with an asscher. After trading through 3 different asschers, I finally ended up switching to a round diamond.

I felt that the step-cut asschers didn''t have a lot of sparkle on their own, and they looked flat/boring in a simple solitiare setting in most lights. I think an asscher in a pave halo setting like Lovey''s is the perfect setting for an asscher, because it adds sparkle all around the stone that step cuts lack on their own.

Since I wanted to stick with a solitiare setting, I switched to a round brilliant to get sparkle instead of putting my asscher in a different setting, and it was the right choice for me.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 4:26:37 PM
Author: vespergirl
As a former asscher solitiare owner, I strongly advise that you go with a pave band. I really wanted a plain platinum solitaire setting, with an asscher. After trading through 3 different asschers, I finally ended up switching to a round diamond.

I felt that the step-cut asschers didn't have a lot of sparkle on their own, and they looked flat/boring in a simple solitiare setting in most lights. I think an asscher in a pave halo setting like Lovey's is the perfect setting for an asscher, because it adds sparkle all around the stone that step cuts lack on their own.

Since I wanted to stick with a solitiare setting, I switched to a round brilliant to get sparkle instead of putting my asscher in a different setting, and it was the right choice for me.
While I agree that Asschers don't have excessive sparkle on their own, I do believe a well cut Asscher can be gorgeous in a simple classic metal setting.

Diana, I would just go look around, and see what appeals to you. I love my solitaire Asscher, and I know many others with solitaires would agree. Still, there are those that need that extra oomph of pave. Try them on, see how they feel, and there's always the possibility of pairing the ring with a blingy diamond wedding band.

I used to just wear a plain band next to my ring, but have now moved onto a mixture of small baguette bands, or a bezel set round band. What I like about the plain solitaire is that I can mix it up, but there are certainly those who prefer matchy-matchy. Your best bet is to go try everything on!

Plain set

original.aspx

With teeny baguette bands

original.aspx

With the bezel band.

IMG%20915a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you''ve gotten a lot of good advice and images to help you choose, but I think I''ll put in my $0.02 anyway. I personally ADORE asschers! I also prefer the understated, not-overly-sparkling look of the step cut diamond cuts. To me, an asscher has an old-fashioned quality to it, and pave completes the look so nicely. A basic solitaire is always clean and classic, but usually IMO they work best with the sparkly-type cuts. An asscher would look beautiful in almost any setting for sure...but I''m partial to pave.

Good luck, and have FUN in the diamond district!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think asschers are one of the most visually entrancing shapes for me. I get lost in the steps and the subtle shimmer - it''s just so beautiful.

It sounds like you''re leaning towards keeping the whole thing clean and simple, and maybe minimalistic? But are torn on the sparkle part. I would keep the asscher in a thin plain setting, and pair it with the pave wedding band. Or even get a plain wedding band, and an additional pave band to wear when you want to dress it up, or want a little more shimmer - you can mix and match according to your mood, but always keep that simple elegance there.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call me crazy, but I think asschers are sparkley!!
30.gif
My friend has a RB and I don't think my stone suffers in the sparkle department as compared to hers. Then again, it is a different kind of sparkle (big, broad, bright flashes instead of smaller flashes and pinfire), so maybe that's where the difference comes in.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:04:41 PM
Author: DiamondFlame

Wow! I love that flower shot of Ellen''s square aquamarine. Simply stunning!
I forgot to say thank you DF!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting my ring Gypsy, hope that helps Diana!
1.gif

Hi Ellen
35.gif
Thank you so much! And I love love love your Leon aqua. Next time I upgrade my asscher I''m toying w/ the idea of having Leon reset it as well - either a simple solitare or a bezel w/o pave, we shall see. If I can get a big enough asscher, I may not need any pave
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:00:33 PM
Author: asscher_girl
Thanks for posting my ring Gypsy, hope that helps Diana!
1.gif

Hi Ellen
35.gif
Thank you so much! And I love love love your Leon aqua. Next time I upgrade my asscher I''m toying w/ the idea of having Leon reset it as well - either a simple solitare or a bezel w/o pave, we shall see. If I can get a big enough asscher, I may not need any pave
31.gif
This would work!
9.gif

And thank you!

diana682

Rough_Rock
WOW! i absolutely love asschergirls ring, thanks for posting it gypsy. it IS the perfect pave band- sparkly but perfectly compliments the asscher in the center. very simple and clean. asschergirl- can you give me some specific details about your ring?

i cant wait to go check out rings in person. soooo amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results