shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-Scope and ASET Scope deserve a far larger audience

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A quick search on one of the two largest diamond selling sites shows a 3.01 F/VS1- strong blue. Spreads 9.21 *9.08 ( even though it's still a deep one at 63.6) Priced at $50,510. It is a VG cut grade ( Wink's example made GIA EX)- but that aspect impacts the price far less than the strong blue.

David, perhaps you didn’t notice, but the 3.00 which I identified sold at retail for more than $80,000. I linked a screen-shot to the details page, back when it was available. In fact all three of the case studies in that article were eventually confirmed sold to consumers for what many in this business would consider outrageous prices. Why? Because “3” was the first carat-weight digit, at the expense of spread and complimentary angles.

I regularly spot diamonds just hitting critical weights that have these issues. So they’re not outliers to me. And even if you believe this one to be an outlier does that make it any less egregious? A consumer was charged $80,000 for a 3 carat F VS1 SB that only has the vertical spread of a 2.80. Furthermore, forcing it to weigh over 3-carats called for angles which reduced its brightness to the AGS 4-5 level. A lose-lose proposition for the consumer and his or her $80,000.

For me, as a professional, it’s hard to fathom. And yes, ideal-scope or ASET would have shot this turkey down.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink!
The screen shot shows an asking price. Asking price is pretty much meaningless. Unless I'm missing something ( totally possible) we have no clue whatsoever when, and if the diamond sold- and for what price. Such information is generally not made available to the public- or even the trade.

I agree that ASET would have illustrated deficiencies in that stone. To the original point of the thread- I don't think the handheld tool is sufficient for a purchase of such import.

I also agree that stones which just make a carat weight ( 3.00 versus 2.99) are more likely to have cutting deficiencies. I agree that $80k for such a stone is far higher than fair market value.

One area where we differ is using numbers that are not applicable.
Looking at online offerings today, on the site from your screenshot, it would seem a rough average is about $50k+- for a 3ct Med or Strong blue EX cut grade. As many of us know, a diamond in this category with None or faint fluorescence trades at a price of possibly 20% higher than one with Strong Blue.
The other area where we disagree is the issue of how it does indeed cost more to cut- and or buy a stone cut to the most exacting standards.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink!

The screen shot shows an asking price. Asking price is pretty much meaningless. Unless I'm missing something ( totally possible) we have no clue whatsoever when, and if the diamond sold- and for what price. Such information is generally not made available to the public- or even the trade.

You are missing the fact that these were case studies. The author of the article followed them through retail sale, in cooperation with the facilitators of those sales.

I also agree that stones which just make a carat weight ( 3.00 versus 2.99) are more likely to have cutting deficiencies. I agree that $80k for such a stone is far higher than fair market value.

Excellent. I rest my case. Those are the very points I hoped to make with that illustration.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink-
So we're taking the word of the vendor who claims the stone sold for $80k.
I am not in the camp that finds that to be a reliable source- not speaking specifically about the vendor- but in general.
I am in no way critiquing an article on your site. ( I do not see it)
You're making statements in this discussion- which is what I base my points on.

And still the point about costs.......

My position is that this forum is a great tool for consumers- we all agree on that point. But if it's used to unfairly promote something someone is selling, we get way off track.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do I hear 70% Depth GIA EX anyone?:eek2:
That is just....sad

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results