shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reddragon

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m a new member and searching for engagement ring for my girlfriend. I tried some local store here, and they recommend the 60% table and 60% depth. Is this combination will produce the most reflecting light? And could anybody tell me what online store I should try for. I''m a little convervative so I don''t mind to pay a little higher for peace of mind. Buy the way, I''m looking for a one carat diamond in colorness range, with VS1 or better. Thanks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Reddragon, welcome to the forum
1.gif

:

"There is a strange fallacy that if a diamond has proportions of 60% depth and 60% table then it will be a beautiful diamond. It’s a great idea, but it simply does not work.

Here are two extreme examples of bad proportion combinations. Both are 60:60.

sixty.gif

The pavilion angles on these vary from 36 degrees to 45 degrees and this range of variance actually exists out there. Of them all only the very small range between 39.7 degree and 40.4 degree pavilion angles would be worthy of consideration."

for more info regarding cut or simply ask more question here.
1.gif
[/u][/u]

reddragon

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the info about 60:60. It helps us out a lot. But could you answer one more question for us. What online store should we trust with our engagement ring? I know most of them are reliable, but as nervous as we are, we are looking for the most respectable one. Is Blue Nile is a good one to start with? Thanks.

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Funny how everyone asks about Blue Nile first. Its been my experience that their diamond prices are a bit higher than what is found here.

I bought my diamond from Barry at www.superbcert.com and the deal was flawless. I felt very comfortable buying from him, and I spent a lot of $$$ for my stone.

2nd runner up was Jonathan at www.goodoldgold.com. Very helpful, great service.

Sticking to one of the vendors who post on these forums is a good idea. There is a certain amount of accountability inherant in being a participant here.

banzai

Rough_Rock
I recently bought my stone from Robin and Todd at niceice.com. They were helpful and responsive and everything arrived just like they promised. I spent alot of money on it too.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Those are good choices. I'd also put in a plug for Jan and Brad at www.diamondbrokersoffl.com. I've used them a number of times and have always been happy. When I bought my mom's ring, I asked them for an unbranded H&A in a certain size, price range, and color/clarity combo, and they found one that was just perfect.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Reddragon, welcome to the forum,

I will make this easy for you. Go to the top of this page. Right under the A Cut Above banner you will see a number of areas you can go to here on pricescope. Click pricescope, it will take you to a page where you can search for your diamond by cut grade (near the top right hand side). Click on that and fill in the information to the right and click. If too many diamonds turn up, narrow the choices and you will see many diamonds from many on line dealers which are all pretty honest. The best of the best will be AGS Ideal cut with H&A and the next best will be GIA ex ex with ideal proportions.
If you have any questions, call any number of us and we can answer your questions.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Red Dragon, the other contributors to this thread have already debunked the 60/60 ideal cut theory. We would like to debunk the Hearts & Arrows theory... The fact that a diamond exhibits a pattern of Hearts & Arrows does not necessarily mean that it is going to outperform a super ideal cut diamond that does not. We have seen plenty of super ideal cut diamonds outperform comparable diamonds that exhibited H&A patterns and vice versa. Thus each diamond needs to be considered on it's own merits... We sell ideals, super ideals and H&A's so this is not a statement that we make lightly... We suggest expanding your search on the PS search engine to include standard ideals as well as H&A cuts... We recommend restricting your search to a table diameter of 55 - 56% with a total depth between 59 - 61.8% with AGS or GIA grading.

We STRONGLY recommend that you only consider diamonds offered by dealers who actually have the inventory on-hand because they will be able to provide you with clarity photographs, pictures of the actual H&A patterns if there is a pattern, and verify that the diamond being sold does match the characteristics described on the lab report and that the lab report is accurate in their opinion. The odds are that if you see the same diamond listed by 5 - 6 dealers that none of them actually has the stone, they will probably just drop ship it to you from their supplier... This is not good because sometimes diamonds get mixed up in the parcel papers when being shipped from the cutters and a good dealer is the only thing standing between you and this dilemma. This thread is another good example of why you want to work with dealers who only sell diamonds that they have personally evaluated. Dealers that we know to carry an inventory and provide this type of permission include GoodOldGold, WhiteFlash, SuperbCert and ourselves... And any one of us can source the other diamonds listed 5 - 6 times by the other dealers and evaluate that for you if you find something there that is of interest...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results