shape
carat
color
clarity

Icy blue stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m wondering what my options are for an icy blue stone around 6-7mm?

I know some sapphires (especially the montana ones) have that icy, steel blue color. (I love Icekid''s avatar color!)
Does spinel? I''m aware that cobalt blue spinel of kashmir color is really rare and expensive, but is icy blue hard to come by as well?
I thought about zircons, but all the blue zircons I''ve seen actually look kind of warm in color (they''re usually kind of teal/pool color)
London topaz tends to be a little too saturated and "electric" blue, while aquamarines are generally too pastel/sky blue (and both aquas and topaz are commonly treated for their color, and I''d rather it be untreated).

Any obvious ones that I''m overlooking? I really like that cold, icy blue color, but I''m not familiar enough with colored gems to know what my best options are.

Thanks!
(Here''s a pic of Icekid''s sapphire for reference, hopes she doesn''t mind!)
s-1989ng_742.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:56:30 PM
Author:MakingTheGrade

(Here''s a pic of Icekid''s sapphire for reference, hopes she doesn''t mind!)
I definitely don''t mind... I still don''t get tired of seeing my sapphire. I think that means it was a good buy
1.gif

I haven''t personally seen any spinels that are similar color to my sapphire, but they are probably out there! The best blue spinels are pretty pricey too, as you mentioned.

I think you would probably be well-served to drop an email to a cutter or two (I''m thinking Jeff White, maybe Barry at ACStones) if you want precision cut. Alternatively, Wink Jones or Richard Wise are also great sources for colored gems. They have access to a lot more than we do and will be able to tell you if what you''re looking for is even possible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love icekid's sapphire - it's a very unique and beautiful color.

Here's a picture of Love In Bloom's spinels. Spinels appear to have some beautiful icey blue colors to them as well. The one all the way to the left is an amethyst, but the rest are spinels.

LIB_BB_stones_1172.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I recommend spinels and sapphires. However, blue spinels tend to be dark and blue sapphires tend to be "warm". The search might take a while. You probably would want to look for something with a lighter tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see gem 744 on Precisiongem.com sapphire page? It might be the color you're looking for - a steel icey blue violet stone. It's an Umba sapphire, and they also have a tendency to change color depending on the light. Gem 770 is more of a steel blue (he describes it that way as well).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this will help, but lighter shades of tanzanite tend to look icy.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:56:30 PM
Author:MakingTheGrade
I'm wondering what my options are for an icy blue stone around 6-7mm?

I know some sapphires (especially the montana ones) have that icy, steel blue color. (I love Icekid's avatar color!)
Does spinel? I'm aware that cobalt blue spinel of kashmir color is really rare and expensive, but is icy blue hard to come by as well?
I thought about zircons, but all the blue zircons I've seen actually look kind of warm in color (they're usually kind of teal/pool color)
London topaz tends to be a little too saturated and 'electric' blue, while aquamarines are generally too pastel/sky blue (and both aquas and topaz are commonly treated for their color, and I'd rather it be untreated).

Any obvious ones that I'm overlooking? I really like that cold, icy blue color, but I'm not familiar enough with colored gems to know what my best options are.

Thanks!
(Here's a pic of Icekid's sapphire for reference, hopes she doesn't mind!)
s-1989ng_742.jpg

Did someone say icy blue? This is a sapphire I found a number of years ago. It is 2.08 cts. I am sure there are a few others around but seem to be kind of tough to find. I have seen some spinel pictures posted around the web with sort of this color but as noted they often have much more tone. Aquamarine may be an option also.

Sorry I can not provide a kink to any at the moment.

icy blue.JPG

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
I bought a very pretty sapphire from customgemstones that is icy blue. I''m not sure if it was an Umba or not (too early). It was a little lighter in color than the one you posted. The sad part is that I can''t find it right now
7.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 8:14:57 AM
Author: joy2theworld
I bought a very pretty sapphire from customgemstones that is icy blue. I''m not sure if it was an Umba or not (too early). It was a little lighter in color than the one you posted. The sad part is that I can''t find it right now
7.gif

Oh no! I hope you find it soon :/
Thanks for the input guys.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about an aqua? They tend to be very icy blue - a little on the steely looking side.

I''m not a topaz fan but if you''re looking for a good size at a reasonable price, topaz might be an idea.

Here are two aquas - are these the colour you''re looking for or are you veering more towards something with a lilac/blue tone? This one is a warmer tone ......

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I consider to be a true icy blue ....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD!
The first one seems a bit warmer than what I'm looking for.
The one in the second photo seems more baby/sky blue to me than icy. The tone is maybe a little too light.
I'm not sure what it is, but aqua always looks really "soft" to me, doesn't quite have that hardness to it's look (I sound crazy, I know)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 9:22:51 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
This is what I consider to be a true icy blue ....
Breathe Gailey, breathe!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 9:37:31 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks LD!
The first one seems a bit warmer than what I'm looking for.
The one in the second photo seems more baby/sky blue to me than icy. The tone is maybe a little too light.
I'm not sure what it is, but aqua always looks really 'soft' to me, doesn't quite have that hardness to it's look (I sound crazy, I know)
Aquas also have a low RI. What I also like about icekid's stone is not just the color, but the way light plays off the facets and disperses into different colors, so that might be what is appealing to you as well. However, some saturated aquas are ice blue, but you won't find the dispersion there, as beautiful as they may be.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Icekid''s sapphire too. However, I definitely wouldn''t call it icy blue. It has sky blue and lilac tones. It''s gorgeous. Is that more the colour you''re looking for MTG?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 10:01:44 AM
I love Icekid''s sapphire too. However, I definitely wouldn''t call it icy blue. It has sky blue and lilac tones. It''s gorgeous. Is that more the colour you''re looking for MTG?

Yeah, I guess my idea of "icy blue" is sky blue+lilac+dispersion, lol. But icekids does look very "''cold" to me, which I like. :)
So yeah, sapphires and spinels are probably my best bet. I''ll definitely keep in eye out, I''m not in a particular rush at the moment, I just really liked the color.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a sapphire I found that has what I think is a cold, steel blue color, but the pear proportions are kinda wonky I think, I''m not sure the cut would work in person.

steelyblue.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t it funny how colour perceptions are different? The pear I would call a navy/grey/steel colour but not icy!!!! Have you got an opportunity to ask for more photos of the pear? It''s the angle of the photograph making it look wonky I think. The cut still may be "off" but I''d ask for more photos before discounting it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess what MtG is calling icy has something with a gray undertone aka steely. I''ve seen a lot of PSers call spinels with some gray as "cold" and like it a lot.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 10:13:51 AM
Isn''t it funny how colour perceptions are different? The pear I would call a navy/grey/steel colour but not icy!!!! Have you got an opportunity to ask for more photos of the pear? It''s the angle of the photograph making it look wonky I think. The cut still may be ''off'' but I''d ask for more photos before discounting it.
Haha, definitely, I guess that''s why photos are worth a thousand words right?
Here''s a blue topaz for comparison. To me it doesn''t have that same cold, crispness to it (which is probably the grey undertone that Chrono mentioned) but it probably looks icy blue to some people. :)Personally I find it too pale/pastel.

topazblue.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here are more pics of the pear. It''s a nice color, just an odd shape

arraypear.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that pear! Imagine it surrounded by a white diamond halo - ooooooooooooooooooooh! YES!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 11:46:49 AM

Date: 3/28/2009 10:13:51 AM
Isn''t it funny how colour perceptions are different? The pear I would call a navy/grey/steel colour but not icy!!!! Have you got an opportunity to ask for more photos of the pear? It''s the angle of the photograph making it look wonky I think. The cut still may be ''off'' but I''d ask for more photos before discounting it.
Haha, definitely, I guess that''s why photos are worth a thousand words right?
Here''s a blue topaz for comparison. To me it doesn''t have that same cold, crispness to it (which is probably the grey undertone that Chrono mentioned) but it probably looks icy blue to some people. :)Personally I find it too pale/pastel.
That''s a blue topaz MTG - serious! Wow, never seen one like that before.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I definitely think what you''re looking for should be a gray undertone. I think that is what you''re defining as that icy coldness.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey, the topaz in the picture I posted is untreated, which is probably why it doesn''t look like what you normally think of as "blue topaz", it''s pretty though :)

Just a question on logistics because I"m new at this. Say I contact 3 different cutters to look for something of this color, I really only want 1 stone, so what happens if 2 of them find something at roughly the same time? If you ask that they custom cut something for you, would you still be able to return it if the color wasn''t quite right in person, of if you liked another cutter''s stone better by comparison?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:10:14 AM
Here''s a sapphire I found that has what I think is a cold, steel blue color, but the pear proportions are kinda wonky I think, I''m not sure the cut would work in person.
I rarely venture in this part of PS but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color on that pear.

Mind if i ask where you found it?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
MTG

I know of a cutter that regularly cuts un-treated blue topaz. It''s Sacred Geometrics

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 10:06:24 AM
Author: elle_chris

I rarely venture in this part of PS but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color on that pear.

I don''t mind, but I''m currently asking the seller for the price. Once I know it''s out of budget (as I''m sure it will be), I''ll be happy to let you know :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 3:46:41 PM

Date: 3/29/2009 10:06:24 AM
Author: elle_chris

I don''t mind, but I''m currently asking the seller for the price. Once I know it''s out of budget (as I''m sure it will be), I''ll be happy to let you know :)
Good luck!
9.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:09:55 AM
Gailey, the topaz in the picture I posted is untreated, which is probably why it doesn''t look like what you normally think of as ''blue topaz'', it''s pretty though :)

Just a question on logistics because I''m new at this. Say I contact 3 different cutters to look for something of this color, I really only want 1 stone, so what happens if 2 of them find something at roughly the same time? If you ask that they custom cut something for you, would you still be able to return it if the color wasn''t quite right in person, of if you liked another cutter''s stone better by comparison?
I shouldn''t think so, particularly if the stone or cutting style is not very commercial and they found the rough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results