shape
carat
color
clarity

I- Yeah, I just need help

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Okay, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, I'd like to say hi! I've been a follower of this forum for a while now. Pretty much everything I've learned about diamonds is from this forum. I'm not a master or anything, but I know more than any of my friends lol.

I'm a 26 year old man, and I'm about to propose to my girlfriend of over three years. I just asked for her mother's blessing (her family is very, very close) and was given it, and that's made me pick up the pace more on the search. She's about to graduate with her Master's degree in May, and I'd loooooove to have it all ready to go by then (I wanted to have it for our first date anniversary on New Years, but that's clearly not happening lol). I love this woman more than anything in the entire world, and I'm willing to save for the next few months (I've been doing research for around a year now) to get that perfect ring.

I've been picking up information for the passed year. She knows I intend on asking her at some point. We've discussed marriage at length (we've lived together -- hundreds of miles away from friends/family -- for a year and a half now). But she wants to be surprised by the ring I get, and doesn't want to tell me what to get.

Because I've been casually finding out what she likes for a year (maybe more), I have a pretty good idea of the style of settings she likes. They're expensive. She likes filigree, antique-ish style -- with a modern twist. She's really had a thing for Tacori and Verragio settings, although she really doesn't have a clue how much they cost. She's not about the cost. She just likes a certain style. It's not about the brand.

She doesn't have much of a preference on stone cuts. There are a few that aren't her personal style. Heart is one in particular. But she doesn't wear heart necklaces, heart rings, heart bracelets, heart anything. It's just not her thing. She thinks they're lovely for other people just not for her lol.

Everything else seems pretty much fair game, but the ones I've seen her like the most, when seen, were round, cushion, princess, and pear.

She's not one for a huge diamond. I was thinking somewhere along the .5-1 carat mark, with the 1 carat mark being the absolute MAX that I could see her wearing.

She works in a lab, with dangerous microbial infectious diseases (lol), so she won't be able to wear it at work anyway(it will tear her gloves). But she's got very slim fingers and anything bigger than 1 carat she might think is too flashy for her.

I'm a professional ghost-writer for a publishing company. So I don't make a LOT of money. I make probably a touch above average.. That's it. So I don't have a huge budget. I'm already in a fair amount of student-loan debt from college, so I don't want to go very far in debt with this. I want something that will only take a couple of months for me to pay off.

And I know you guys are probably going to shun me for mentioning eBay, but I've been on there quite a bit. There are a fair amount of sellers that are selling either their engagement rings, or GIA certified engagement rings.

The individuals selling Verragio have them for around 1,000 dollars and some a little less...And I've found decent prices on Tacori as well.

I get nervous spending that kind of money on eBay, but I've NEVER had a bad experience buying from trusted sellers. I bought my ridiculously expensive computer off eBay and all worked out. So I'm feeling a LITTLE more confident doing so this time around.

My issue with that, is some of the verragio rings (halo style, in particular) are VERY made-to-order. Meaning whatever diamond was stuck in it, is the size you need to keep, otherwise you're sending it to Verragio to get repaired -- which can get expensive. The others (like the two she fell in love with VENETIAN-5013R or P and the INS-7074R or P) can still accommodate a little more freely, but they typically run a tad more expensive. Which is fine. But I have to buy a diamond separately, and that's where the majority of cost comes in to play.

I know that I've been looking at H color and SI-SI2 clarity to lower the cost, but it still gets pretty dang pricey going that route. And I've found a seller that sells GIA certified rings, for a pretty decent price and he has 100% feedback. And I was wondering if it'd be too much work to buy one, take them both to a jeweler, get the diamond out of it, put it in a Tacori or Verragio setting that I know she'll like, and then sell the white gold solitaire band (that's mostly what he sells -- solitaires) and have a nice ring for around 2,000 bucks (which is definitely on the high side of my budget. Don't kill me... I know that's a low budget)

Or do any of you have any ideas on similar style rings, or sort of intricate designed rings that aren't so expensive?

I just have so many ideas; and I'm trying to find one of the more cost effective ways.

Any comments or suggestions at all honestly would be appreciated.

I just want her to have a ring she wants. I love solitaires, and I know she'd like any diamond ring I got her. But I know she likes design -- just not over the top design. And at the end of the day, she's who I'm trying to please. Not myself. Or my wallet lol....

Oh, and I really don't want to buy a ring now, just to upgrade later. The sentiment will be on this ring, and I want it to be the ONE. And I've never been the kind of guy to buy low, and upgrade later. I would rather take the plunge and spend a little more now than have to go back and spend it later, when I've already bought one ring.

Thanks guys

Oh, and if anyone is interested in checking out this seller (the one I mentioned above), I'd be welcome to feedback on if you think this is legit. Looks good to me, but a lot of you know a LOT more than I do.

His/her eBay name is: dschwartz2880

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you taken a look at Gabriel and Co settings? The list MSRP is always the max, so you can always do better if you purchase one through a PS vendor.

If you are working with a tight budget, I would reach out to ID Jewlery and work with them. They also sell Gabriel and Co settings.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
For starters, what is your budget?

hayzing

Rough_Rock
As I said, I really want to keep it below 2000 -- but that's almost a little too much. I'd really like around the 1,000 dollar mark for ALL - setting and diamond. Which is why I was trying to find preowned... but if I have to, I'll spend up to 2,000. I just want to be able to pay it off in a few weeks.

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
I can't really help you much (there are people on here who know WAY more than I do), but what I can tell you is that you should not be embarrassed or ashamed of your budget in any way. You're being smart by going in with a budget and you should not buy more than you can afford. An engagement is not about the ring - it's about the commitment you and your significant other are making to each other.

Yes, it's always nice to have a big, flashy ring that other people drool over but it's more important to have a solid foundation & a great relationship. Most people will be more jealous of a good relationship than they would be about a piece of jewelry.

Some people can afford huge stones, others cannot. You're not less of a person if you can't afford a big rock, and you're not more of a person if you can. You are lucky to have found the one and I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect engagement ring and your upcoming engagement.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
$1k budget will be nearly impossible. Even at $2k the settings you mentioned already exceed that. You could perhaps find a nice .5ct stone and a simple setting. Or you could get an elaborate setting and perhaps a synthetic/simulant diamond and replace it down the road when your budget permits.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1450112393|3961270 said:
Have you taken a look at Gabriel and Co settings? The list MSRP is always the max, so you can always do better if you purchase one through a PS vendor.

If you are working with a tight budget, I would reach out to ID Jewlery and work with them. They also sell Gabriel and Co settings.

I haven't tried them yet, but I will definitely check them out. I've seen Gabriel and Co settings with diamonds being sold on eBay for around 900 bucks. I liked a couple of them for sure.

psywzrd|1450114558|3961291 said:
I can't really help you much (there are people on here who know WAY more than I do), but what I can tell you is that you should not be embarrassed or ashamed of your budget in any way. You're being smart by going in with a budget and you should not buy more than you can afford. An engagement is not about the ring - it's about the commitment you and your significant other are making to each other.

Yes, it's always nice to have a big, flashy ring that other people drool over but it's more important to have a solid foundation & a great relationship. Most people will be more jealous of a good relationship than they would be about a piece of jewelry.

Some people can afford huge stones, others cannot. You're not less of a person if you can't afford a big rock, and you're not more of a person if you can. You are lucky to have found the one and I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect engagement ring and your upcoming engagement.

Thank you very much. Sometimes it is a little embarrassing. But out of all the guys I know that has proposed over the last few years, I've put in more thought and care -- so I guess that should be worth something. Most of them went to their nearest malls and grabbed whatever was on clearance, without giving any thought on what the woman wanted. Luckily it worked out that they all liked the rings they were given lol. But I really do want to try my best to get something that she will be happy with -- without hurting us with more debt.

solgen|1450116846|3961307 said:
$1k budget will be nearly impossible. Even at $2k the settings you mentioned already exceed that. You could perhaps find a nice .5ct stone and a simple setting. Or you could get an elaborate setting and perhaps a synthetic/simulant diamond and replace it down the road when your budget permits.

That's why I said I needed help. Going the preowned route makes this not impossible, and very doable. But I wasn't meaning just those settings. I asked if anyone knew of anything similar for a little less. She just likes design on the band.

Also, no to synthetic and simulant diamonds. That was her only request when we discussed rings over a year ago. She didn't care about size. She just wanted a genuine diamond.

hayzing

Rough_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's her ring size, hayzing? That info will enable us to give you more focused suggestions re pre-owned rings & jeweler close-outs; depending on the style, it might be costly, or even not feasible, to resize an existing ring/semi-mount to fit her finger.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
hayzing|1450114407|3961290 said:
As I said, I really want to keep it below 2000 -- but that's almost a little too much. I'd really like around the 1,000 dollar mark for ALL - setting and diamond. Which is why I was trying to find preowned... but if I have to, I'll spend up to 2,000. I just want to be able to pay it off in a few weeks.

OK, I missed that, sorry. Another option is to go to one of the PS vendors and get the nicest stone you can in the simplest setting. That way, she can upgrade the setting down the road as finances allow.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1450119969|3961335 said:
What's her ring size, hayzing? That info will enable us to give you more focused suggestions re pre-owned rings & jeweler close-outs; depending on the style, it might be costly, or even not feasible, to resize an existing ring/semi-mount to fit her finger.

She's around a 5.5, I believe

Andelain|1450120079|3961337 said:
hayzing|1450114407|3961290 said:

OK, I missed that, sorry. Another option is to go to one of the PS vendors and get the nicest stone you can in the simplest setting. That way, she can upgrade the setting down the road as finances allow.

Yeah, I really don't want to go that option either. As I said, even if I have to wait a little longer to propose, I want this to be the only ring. If you guys don't think 2,000 and under is enough to get something quality, then I can always just wait a while to propose. My girlfriend is a very sentimental person. She's already mentioned how she'd be unable to upgrade due to the sentimental nature of her ring. She talked about her aunt getting rid of the original engagement ring she had, so that she could get something a lot bigger -- and she said she didn't think she'd ever be able to do that because she'd want to wear the original.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'd like to propose sooner than later, maybe you could propose with the wedding band now, Whcih buys you more time to save, and then during a significant anniversary, surprise her with the e-ring?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really liking some of those choices on Loope Troop! Most are close to here size, so a size adjustment would be minimal. Also - quite a few are very smooth and I think could be worn under gloves at a lab. (Notice some are white gold, and I think 1 or 2 are platinum). However, these are very SPECIFIC tastes to me. A suggestion - show her 3 you like (without prices) and see if she has a favorite. Might that work??? Just tossing it out there! You should NOT NOT NOT make a pressured decision, but if you go pre-loved route with someting you both really love it could be on her hand by New Years!!!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like you ::) You sound like a nice guy who is sincerely trying to make his significant other happy :)) I wish I could say I felt that way about all new buyers who find us here on PS.

Is she definitively set on a diamond? If she's open to coloured stones your options open considerably. I also like the idea of proposing with a diamond band, or perhaps a pair of bands - Blue Nile is having a 15% off sale at the moment and they have some lovely eternities, and an engraved band to pair it with would lend that vintage feel... Bands scream "taken" to me, and they almost always have more "presence" for the dollar on the finger, and a delicate eternity would flatter her slim finger. Bonus - a low channel-set band, for example, would fit under a glove no problem should she want to wear it to work on less... dangerous?... days.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I also love the idea of proposing with a band now and giving yourself some time to save up for a more intricate setting.

Preowned is a great way to go, but none of the ones posted above have the same vibe as a verragio/tacori with scrollwork and/or filigree. I would wait for the right thing to pop up and jump on it with her approval sometime in the next year.

You could also get a stone in your budget in a basic temp setting now if you think she will want something engagement-y to wear right away.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of proposing with a band as well. I know you said she wants you to pick the ring but buying a band would give SO many options! It could be her e-ring if she likes that idea. (I have a friend that has a gorgeous eternity ring as her e-ring and then a plain band as the wedding band. very unique and it fits her lifestyle.) Or you could have more time to save up for/find that perfect e-ring ring. . The band would be something she could wear all the time as opposed to many traditional e-rings. IDJ has some beautiful bands in your price range, i was looking at them very closely recently.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
farrahlyn|1450127076|3961393 said:
I love the idea of proposing with a band as well. I know you said she wants you to pick the ring but buying a band would give SO many options! It could be her e-ring if she likes that idea. (I have a friend that has a gorgeous eternity ring as her e-ring and then a plain band as the wedding band. very unique and it fits her lifestyle.) Or you could have more time to save up for/find that perfect e-ring ring. . The band would be something she could wear all the time as opposed to many traditional e-rings. IDJ has some beautiful bands in your price range, i was looking at them very closely recently.

This is my set as well - eternity band, plain band ::) I love the combo! A low-maintenance, classic alternative to the traditional "centerstone" E-ring that I used to wear.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
you seem like such a nice guy! wishing you a lot of luck on your search! I personally love ebay for trying to find a deal but you MUST ( as you know already) only look for reputable sellers with strong return policies- this is even more important with jewelry. That will help narrow things down and give you time to (if you like something) have it checked out before firmly committing to keeping it so you dont get ripped off. All of these suggestions are below you max budget and have 14 day return period.

here is an ebay auction for a verragio ring with an antique diamond center, pics are crappy but it has the return policy and the diamond faceting seems crisp for this type of older stone. I would even email them directly and ask if they would close the auction early for you (if you like this ring) for X amount of dollars, keeping the return policy in place. Ring would need to be sized down:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERRAGIO-1-65-CARAT-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-PALADIUM-DIAMOND-RING-/121839861783?hash=item1c5e38c017:g:miUAAOSwcOFWbhX8

if you want a solitaire verragio, this could leave you enough for a stone, need to find out what size stone it fits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verragio-diamond-Engagement-used-ring-/291633036872?hash=item43e6aefe48:g:bf8AAOSwyQtVnUU4

In the photos of this one the center stone looks quite tinted (WELL beyond a J) and cant tell the cut, but again if it's no good you can send it back:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verragio-Engagement-Ring-14k-WG-90ctw-Size-4-75-Couture-0381-/201484844900?hash=item2ee96ebf64:g:nUwAAOSwl9BWGcvC

classic tacori with a .50 center stone, looks white and clean but no info on cut: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tacori-18K-White-Gold-0-50ct-Natural-Diamond-Engagement-Halo-Ring-Size-6-5-/381489021327?hash=item58d284818f:g:gAwAAOSwWKtUwtTK

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also grace does have a nice selection of diamonds under 1CT and you can look for a used setting on ebay. If she likes that elaborate/ vintage style setting these types of stones look really nice. And she is in the middle of her holiday sale, so if you see something you like you may be able to get a better deal on it! just ask her, she is super sweet!

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct

everstone

Rough_Rock
hayzing|1450111870|3961266 said:
Okay, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, I'd like to say hi! I've been a follower of this forum for a while now. Pretty much everything I've learned about diamonds is from this forum. I'm not a master or anything, but I know more than any of my friends lol.

I'm a 26 year old man, and I'm about to propose to my girlfriend of over three years. I just asked for her mother's blessing (her family is very, very close) and was given it, and that's made me pick up the pace more on the search. She's about to graduate with her Master's degree in May, and I'd loooooove to have it all ready to go by then (I wanted to have it for our first date anniversary on New Years, but that's clearly not happening lol). I love this woman more than anything in the entire world, and I'm willing to save for the next few months (I've been doing research for around a year now) to get that perfect ring.

I've been picking up information for the passed year. She knows I intend on asking her at some point. We've discussed marriage at length (we've lived together -- hundreds of miles away from friends/family -- for a year and a half now). But she wants to be surprised by the ring I get, and doesn't want to tell me what to get.

Because I've been casually finding out what she likes for a year (maybe more), I have a pretty good idea of the style of settings she likes. They're expensive. She likes filigree, antique-ish style -- with a modern twist. She's really had a thing for Tacori and Verragio settings, although she really doesn't have a clue how much they cost. She's not about the cost. She just likes a certain style. It's not about the brand.

She doesn't have much of a preference on stone cuts. There are a few that aren't her personal style. Heart is one in particular. But she doesn't wear heart necklaces, heart rings, heart bracelets, heart anything. It's just not her thing. She thinks they're lovely for other people just not for her lol.

Everything else seems pretty much fair game, but the ones I've seen her like the most, when seen, were round, cushion, princess, and pear.

She's not one for a huge diamond. I was thinking somewhere along the .5-1 carat mark, with the 1 carat mark being the absolute MAX that I could see her wearing.

She works in a lab, with dangerous microbial infectious diseases (lol), so she won't be able to wear it at work anyway(it will tear her gloves). But she's got very slim fingers and anything bigger than 1 carat she might think is too flashy for her.

I'm a professional ghost-writer for a publishing company. So I don't make a LOT of money. I make probably a touch above average.. That's it. So I don't have a huge budget. I'm already in a fair amount of student-loan debt from college, so I don't want to go very far in debt with this. I want something that will only take a couple of months for me to pay off.

And I know you guys are probably going to shun me for mentioning eBay, but I've been on there quite a bit. There are a fair amount of sellers that are selling either their engagement rings, or GIA certified engagement rings.

The individuals selling Verragio have them for around 1,000 dollars and some a little less...And I've found decent prices on Tacori as well.

I get nervous spending that kind of money on eBay, but I've NEVER had a bad experience buying from trusted sellers. I bought my ridiculously expensive computer off eBay and all worked out. So I'm feeling a LITTLE more confident doing so this time around.

My issue with that, is some of the verragio rings (halo style, in particular) are VERY made-to-order. Meaning whatever diamond was stuck in it, is the size you need to keep, otherwise you're sending it to Verragio to get repaired -- which can get expensive. The others (like the two she fell in love with VENETIAN-5013R or P and the INS-7074R or P) can still accommodate a little more freely, but they typically run a tad more expensive. Which is fine. But I have to buy a diamond separately, and that's where the majority of cost comes in to play.

I know that I've been looking at H color and SI-SI2 clarity to lower the cost, but it still gets pretty dang pricey going that route. And I've found a seller that sells GIA certified rings, for a pretty decent price and he has 100% feedback. And I was wondering if it'd be too much work to buy one, take them both to a jeweler, get the diamond out of it, put it in a Tacori or Verragio setting that I know she'll like, and then sell the white gold solitaire band (that's mostly what he sells -- solitaires) and have a nice ring for around 2,000 bucks (which is definitely on the high side of my budget. Don't kill me... I know that's a low budget)

Or do any of you have any ideas on similar style rings, or sort of intricate designed rings that aren't so expensive?

I just have so many ideas; and I'm trying to find one of the more cost effective ways.

Any comments or suggestions at all honestly would be appreciated.

I just want her to have a ring she wants. I love solitaires, and I know she'd like any diamond ring I got her. But I know she likes design -- just not over the top design. And at the end of the day, she's who I'm trying to please. Not myself. Or my wallet lol....

Oh, and I really don't want to buy a ring now, just to upgrade later. The sentiment will be on this ring, and I want it to be the ONE. And I've never been the kind of guy to buy low, and upgrade later. I would rather take the plunge and spend a little more now than have to go back and spend it later, when I've already bought one ring.

Thanks guys

Oh, and if anyone is interested in checking out this seller (the one I mentioned above), I'd be welcome to feedback on if you think this is legit. Looks good to me, but a lot of you know a LOT more than I do.

His/her eBay name is: dschwartz2880

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7092
with

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.50-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-779962

773dianeb

Rough_Rock
My fiance purchased a 9 stone platinum ring and then I have a thin 2.5 mm platinum wedding band. I just love the simplicity and look of the rings together. The cost was much less than purchasing a larger diamond traditional engagement ring.

photo_9_9.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Higher than your budget but you could make an offer. Nice option with a sapphire. Made by a reputable PS vendor. Good feedback on the seller? Has the Verrigo look and it is platinum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Platinum-Oval-Blue-Sapphire-Diamond-ring-Size-5-hand-engraved-/191612265079?hash=item2c9cfb2277:g:CKEAAOSwT6pVjYcq

One more really nice option a bit above your budget but may go on sale during the holidays. Ask Grace. This setting is made by a respected vendor and is lovely.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/new-additions/44ct-old-european-cut-diamond-van-craeynest-solitaire#.Vm98MHo8KK0

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
:(( disagree

Yssie|1450125587|3961383 said:
I like you ::) You sound like a nice guy who is sincerely trying to make his significant other happy :)) I wish I could say I felt that way about all new buyers who find us here on PS.

Is she definitively set on a diamond? If she's open to coloured stones your options open considerably. I also like the idea of proposing with a diamond band, or perhaps a pair of bands - Blue Nile is having a 15% off sale at the moment and they have some lovely eternities, and an engraved band to pair it with would lend that vintage feel... Bands scream "taken" to me, and they almost always have more "presence" for the dollar on the finger, and a delicate eternity would flatter her slim finger. Bonus - a low channel-set band, for example, would fit under a glove no problem should she want to wear it to work on less... dangerous?... days.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Wow, everyone has given me a lot to think about lol.

I appreciate how much time you've all spent. Keep it comin' if anyone has anymore suggestions. I hope I'm not being too difficult, or picky. I just want to get this right.

Like I said, keep em coming, and let me look finish looking through, and researching all these suggestions! And then Ill let you guys know what I'm thinking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results