shape
carat
color
clarity

I- Yeah, I just need help

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is perfect, now you just have to find a diamond! since May is your timeframe you can take a step back and take your time. I would not have IDJ do the diamond setting since you are close to a Tacori retailer, I think it's fine to get the diamond from IDJ or another online retailer and have Tacori set it.

If you are seriously considering the first OEC perhaps Erica can work with you on price and layaway program. You can also send the setting to her for mounting...she can arrange that and she's a dream to work with. We got my set from her (when it was Jewels by Erica Grace).

metooplease

Rough_Rock
I have no doubt it's perfect.

I would trust Tacori to know what size would fit. And it's possible they are erring on the side of caution with a heads up about what may need to be done....Perhaps they see a lot of settings that the diamond has been pulled out of that possibly need more work than yours does. So I wouldn't worry about that so much.
You have time to find a stone. I am sure that more will come up after the holidays. You may even have to have more luck after March or so (after the holiday/Valentines consumer dust has settled)

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to count myself in as another follower of this thread. I'm on the edge of my seat here. Good luck, OP! Can't wait to see how the final ring looks!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hayzing|1450298752|3962383 said:
Alright, I spoke with the Tacori dealer close to me and was told that it'd cost around 45 bucks to size the ring down one full size, and it'd be better if I brought it in person to see if it could be sized down even more than that.
It's also supposed to cost 50 for them to set a diamond, as long as the head wouldn't need to be replaced. He said that would be the only reason they'd ever charge me more than 50, but most likely it won't need to be replaced. He just wanted to give me forewarning.
So once I get the ring, I'll take it in and see what can be done! * * *
Those fees are very reasonable imo, hayzing, especially coming from a jeweler with whom you don't already have an established relationship, and did not buy the setting from.
And YAY for the eBay seller who took care to send the ring in that wooden box rather than a super cheap, generic, cardboard ring box!

Looking forward to your next chapter :))

P.S. I agree with mrs-blop that you should not consider an OEC unless your future wife has seen them & expressed enthusiasm. Just because many of us here on PS love them doesn't mean everyone does. My niece, for one, thinks "the center holes are weird" & so has no interest in stones with a culet.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely late to this thread. Seems like you're doing ok for a newbie. ;)) That's a great setting you picked & even better that the price was so awesome. :appl:

Here's a stone I found on Adiamor. I would give ID Jewelry a call about it & see if they can locate it for you. They will price match. But not only that, you will get an honest answer if the stone is eye clean or not. As for the J colour, I have 4 J's & none of them are as tinted as the stone from JA that someone posted. Ask ID to evaluate the stone. I would absolutely give it a chance, especially that the size & price are spot on for what you need. Twinning whisp is the primary clarity grader but most times they are a non issue but again, the vendor can take a look at it & let you know if it impacts the stone. HCA- 1.7, XXX,VG.
$1285
wire: $1266
http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/J-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D26706627
GIA # 2186829562

Congratulations & all the best to you & your future fiancé. :))

hayzing

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1450501389|3963384 said:
hayzing|1450298752|3962383 said:
Alright, I spoke with the Tacori dealer close to me and was told that it'd cost around 45 bucks to size the ring down one full size, and it'd be better if I brought it in person to see if it could be sized down even more than that.
It's also supposed to cost 50 for them to set a diamond, as long as the head wouldn't need to be replaced. He said that would be the only reason they'd ever charge me more than 50, but most likely it won't need to be replaced. He just wanted to give me forewarning.
So once I get the ring, I'll take it in and see what can be done! * * *
Those fees are very reasonable imo, hayzing, especially coming from a jeweler with whom you don't already have an established relationship, and did not buy the setting from.
And YAY for the eBay seller who took care to send the ring in that wooden box rather than a super cheap, generic, cardboard ring box!

Looking forward to your next chapter :))

P.S. I agree with mrs-blop that you should not consider an OEC unless your future wife has seen them & expressed enthusiasm. Just because many of us here on PS love them doesn't mean everyone does. My niece, for one, thinks "the center holes are weird" & so has no interest in stones with a culet.

Oh yeah, their prices aren't worrying me at all. I think they're great. I'm worried just because I don't want the head replaced. That sounds scary expensive if that needs to be done. He said it shouldn't need it, but just in case.

And she's seen OEC before and thought they were pretty... but I don't think she cares either way....

ccuheartnurse|1450503733|3963388 said:
I'm definitely late to this thread. Seems like you're doing ok for a newbie. ;)) That's a great setting you picked & even better that the price was so awesome. :appl:

Here's a stone I found on Adiamor. I would give ID Jewelry a call about it & see if they can locate it for you. They will price match. But not only that, you will get an honest answer if the stone is eye clean or not. As for the J colour, I have 4 J's & none of them are as tinted as the stone from JA that someone posted. Ask ID to evaluate the stone. I would absolutely give it a chance, especially that the size & price are spot on for what you need. Twinning whisp is the primary clarity grader but most times they are a non issue but again, the vendor can take a look at it & let you know if it impacts the stone. HCA- 1.7, XXX,VG.
$1285
wire: $1266
http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/J-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D26706627
GIA # 2186829562

Congratulations & all the best to you & your future fiancé. :))

Ahhh, everyone has found such good stones. I feel like I want to buy them all lol.. this one is pushing the boundary a little bit. Tacori said .5-.65, 5mm to 5.6 mm -- Do you think this would be a problem? It's riiiiight there on the boundary.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, it may be. I'd ask Tacori. You could give them the exact dimensions and see what they say.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hayzing|1450510596|3963411 said:
* * * Oh yeah, their prices aren't worrying me at all. I think they're great. I'm worried just because I don't want the head replaced. That sounds scary expensive if that needs to be done. He said it shouldn't need it, but just in case.
Ahhh, everyone has found such good stones. I feel like I want to buy them all lol.. this one is pushing the boundary a little bit. Tacori said .5-.65, 5mm to 5.6 mm -- Do you think this would be a problem? It's riiiiight there on the boundary.
The local Tacori jeweler (not Tacori's corporate headquarters or us random Internet strangers) will be in the best position, once they have the ring in hand, to advise you re the dimensions of diamonds most suitable in this particular case. :))

Re the head: Much could depend on whether the CZ has been "soft set" or "hard set" (i.e., actually seated into the prongs). Because CZs typically have a thicker girdle than diamond counterparts of the same face-up, mm dimensions, a diamond set into a CZ's "seat" ordinarily won't be held as snugly-securely as the CZ was... and that is not a good thing. So that could be a reason why the local jeweler was unwilling to say -- over the phone, without seeing the ring -- that a new head would not be required.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
If you're interested in old cuts, Grace at jewels by grace usually (always?) has a bunch of smaller OEC/transitional/OMC that aren't up on the website (often uncerted, but she is trustworthy and her appraiser's estimated specs should be right on). I'd email her with the range of specs you want (dimensions in mm, color, clarity) and see what she has - she has an amazing eye and is lovely to work with! I'm sure she would have her bench resize and set for you for a very reasonable fee if you bought the stone from her.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread! Following with interest.

I know you are already secure in your plan, but just to be another cheerleader: my husband and I picked my e-ring together. We had $100k in student loans. The e-ring we chose is gorgeous and cost $175. Two years later, our student loans are down to $6k. So, yay! I can totally get behind your and your gf's goals and values. $1000-2000 is a ton of money and you're spending it wisely :)! She will looooove the ring you're making for her!

Also: if you get exact measurements of what size diamond can fit in that head, there will be no need to rebuild the head. Worry not! :)

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check with Grace. I have to take it to the jeweler when I get back home, and get it sized and see EXACTLY which measurements (although Tacori themselves already gave me one) and see if they have any deals at all (it's a local jeweler. Not a chain, so I figured they MIGHT have something).

I want to really do my homework on this...

Part of me thought that if I could get it all done by New Years Eve that I'd propose then, since it's the anniversary of our first date as a couple. That being said though, I doubt it'll happen that way lol. I doubt I'll be able to get anything back by then, even if I do find a stone. I'll probably be waiting for a little while.

I can't wait to see the finished product. The ring is BEAUTIFUL. I finally got to see it in person and it looks so much better in person than in pictures.

I also want to take it to the jeweler to have them look at it and make sure there's no damage or anything like that... but it looks brand-spankin'-new from what I can see. It looks awesome.

But I'm super excited to keep you guys in the loop on what I find, and like I said, I'll prob be coming to you guys for advice on which diamonds I should choose when I have a few picked out.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know of any online places that also set diamonds into your own setting for a reasonable cost?

I really don't want to work with the jewelry store here anymore. They haven't been as helpful as I first thought them to be. They don't want to answer questions unless I'm in the store, and that's a little irritating to me. It's very difficult for me to go back and forth to a jewelry store without raising suspicions since I do live with my girlfriend and we are on the exact same schedule.

The only other stores in town are chain stores -- except for one other place. But I don't have a relationship with that place either, and I don't know how their work is.

I just wondered if anyone had any good success stories about sending off their settings to have their diamond set?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you buy the diamond? I'd probably have the diamond vendor set it. Or send it to Tacori if they will do it. You should have the diamond and setting insured before you send both off though.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hayzing|1452215059|3972384 said:
Does anyone know of any online places that also set diamonds into your own setting for a reasonable cost?

I really don't want to work with the jewelry store here anymore. They haven't been as helpful as I first thought them to be. They don't want to answer questions unless I'm in the store, and that's a little irritating to me. It's very difficult for me to go back and forth to a jewelry store without raising suspicions since I do live with my girlfriend and we are on the exact same schedule.

The only other stores in town are chain stores -- except for one other place. But I don't have a relationship with that place either, and I don't know how their work is.

I just wondered if anyone had any good success stories about sending off their settings to have their diamond set?
Bring us up to date, please: what did the local Tacori jeweler say -- once they saw it in person (am assuming they have seen it since your Xmas Eve post) -- about the semi-mount & the dimensions of diamonds well suited for the head? Have you purchased the center stone in the interim; if so, was that an online purchase?

Just so you know: Tacori would decline to accept a semi-mount & diamond from you; they do business only with their retail partners.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
No, I know Tacori wouldn't do it. It was a miracle for them to give me measurements for the diamond I needed for my setting.

I've contacted a few other retailers of Tacori close-ish by to see if they could be of assistance. And the jeweler of the first place didn't see any issues with the ring when I brought it in. Said it was good to go and Tacori was right about the measurements.

I haven't bought a diamond yet, but have a few possibilities. Still making my decision. I'm just stressing out about where to take it once I get the diamond.

As I continued the shopping around for loose diamonds, the Tacori retailer wouldn't even answer some basic questions. I even asked about what they had in-stock,as far as loose diamonds were concerned. They told me they would be glad to assist me if I came into the store. But I really wanted to know before I went back to the store, if I should purchase a diamond elsewhere for them to set, or to just go through them for all of it. I mean, if they had a good deal on something, or were similar in price, I'd rather just get it done there..... But all they said was "we will work with all budgets." But they wouldn't go into specifics with me. That normally would be fine (well, not FINE necessarily, but it would be fine enough for me to just take the plunge, and go since it's close-ish by) but my girlfriend is getting suspicious and I'd rather not make more trips than necessary. Besides, I'd be really annoyed if I made an excuse to go to the jewelry store and got there for them to only have diamonds way out of my budget.

Anyway... something about them made me feel uncomfortable... their unwillingness to help if I didn't buy a diamond through them, or answer questions unless I'm face-to-face seems sort of.... off-putting to me. Idk. Maybe I'm being ridiculous.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any particular diamonds you are currently interested in? I saw you were thinking about an old cut from Jewels by Grace possibly. I would see if any of the diamond vendors you are considering will mount the diamond you purchase in the setting you have. If so, that would be another reason to go with them. IDJ comes to mind as a vendor who would probably mount it and they have a trustworthy bench. They can also source all kinds of stones for you and will also work within your budget.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have been in contact with Grace. I wanted to see if she had anything for less than 1,000. She didn't, but that she could do 1200 (which is getting to be the top end of my budget considering setting the stone and resizing the ring will cost me over 100). So that might be a possibility. She was lovely, so I really might consider going back to her if I can't find anything cheaper. IDJ -- I've contacted them once before, but with an 800 dollar request. I may try contacting them with an upped budget.

I have found a few diamonds from Diamond Zone (which I've seen some people here on Pricescope have had positive experiences from) and they're based out of Chicago which isn't too far away. And I actually found a place that I could go through near St Louis (not online lol) and a few other bookmarked possibilities online. There's even a stone at James Allen that I might be interested in.

I'm still narrowing things down and trying to do as much research as possible. I will ask what you think of this one from Diamond Zone. I've had a good experience speaking to Amanda and Ilya thus far. They took a video of this one for me(it's one of the few I was looking at from them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpYl8O6ZbM&feature=youtu.be

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Update:

I spoke with another Tacori retailer in the area, and they seem a lot more accommodating. They've answered every single question without asking me to "come in". I'm still not sure I want them to set the diamond or not, because they're quite a bit more expensive than the other place.... Double, in fact.

Edit:

They just contacted me again and told me that they spoke to Tacori on my behalf, and Tacori wants to help so they would size and set my ring for free! XD

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are near STL, you could start a thread calling out to Ame to chime in on this thread. Ame is a perfectionist, and could have some feedback on jewelers in STL.

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
hayzing|1452288621|3972869 said:
They just contacted me again and told me that they spoke to Tacori on my behalf, and Tacori wants to help so they would size and set my ring for free! XD

That's so great! So excited for you!

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to ask everyone about this.

I lost out on the diamond in the video I showed a link to a few posts up :( because I couldn't make the decision on my own haha.

But the jeweler I've been dealing with that's pretty close-by. They didn't have much within my budget, and what they had, I wasn't sure about. The lady did say that there was one diamond that I may be interested in, but she was going to have to order it into the store so that she could see for herself.

It was .48 carat but it measured 5.03 X 5.07 X3.04. I gave her a 1500 dollar budget... it's only 900 (she had three things within that budget and none of the others came close to fitting the bill). But I did want something at least half a carat. So in that respect, I was a little bummed.

She also said the cut was excellent and the color was G... but she said the clarity was I1... which made me really nervous.

She said she wanted to at least have a look at it and that way she could know for sure if it'd meet my standards because one I1 could be different from another I1. Which I understand, but I thought I1 usually meant that you could see them with the naked eye, and that's not what I want.

I told her to go ahead and get it in... but what do you guys think, should I even bother with it? I mean, I'll have a look at it regardless. But is it something I should consider, or put any stock into at all? Or should I just continue my search, knowing that this will probably be a flop?

I just feel like for just a few hundred extra dollars I could get a diamond from Grace that will meet all of my specs...Thoughts? Am I being ridiculous for thinking I should write it off without seeing it?

Oh, and I might try to get ahold of Ame for St Louis vendors. Can we not direct message on this forum?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
How will your fiance feel about getting an I1 stone? They tend to have bad connotations associated with them. We've even seen some instances of people getting flack for eye clean SI1 stones. If JbG can deliver the diamond you want for a few hundred more then I'd probably just go with them.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JBG has a great reputation. Her items are known for being beautiful and good value.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
solgen|1452476971|3973936 said:
How will your fiance feel about getting an I1 stone? They tend to have bad connotations associated with them. We've even seen some instances of people getting flack for eye clean SI1 stones. If JbG can deliver the diamond you want for a few hundred more then I'd probably just go with them.

Honestly, she doesn't even know what I1 is. She won't care as long as it doesn't have imperfections she can see.
I'm not going to go around telling everyone the specs of her ring, and she won't either.
I just want something that looks good and something that's genuine -- and I know thats all she wants. But yeah, I thought that too. I1 to ME is a little off-putting, and that's not because of its reputation. It's moreso because every single I1 I've seen has visible inclusions.

pearaffair|1452481919|3973975 said:
JBG has a great reputation. Her items are known for being beautiful and good value.

For sure! She was very accommodating when I spoke to her. I would see myself being pleased with a purchase from her.
I'll see what the other jeweler's diamond looks like, but I really might go with Grace, IDJ, Diamond Zone (they do have some really good prices on OEC), or James Allen instead.

If I compile a list of things, will you guys help me? I feel like people are losing interest in this thread lol. I just really need help picking something.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have pretty specific requirements (mm size, budget, etc.), which of course is completely fine but could mean that it may take you a little longer to find THE ONE. I get the fear about I1 stones, but they aren't all created equal. I think most I1s are not eye clean, but your jeweler may have stumbled upon a great stone or perhaps the imperfections will not bother you or be visible to you. I would give it a look in person if it's not a lot of trouble for you. Otherwise, I would also make a list here of all the specs you are looking for so that people can find you some options. You could also post links to the stones you like and have people chime in. It sounds like you're leaning toward an older cut?

hayzing

Rough_Rock
ihy138|1452535373|3974269 said:
It sounds like you have pretty specific requirements (mm size, budget, etc.), which of course is completely fine but could mean that it may take you a little longer to find THE ONE. I get the fear about I1 stones, but they aren't all created equal. I think most I1s are not eye clean, but your jeweler may have stumbled upon a great stone or perhaps the imperfections will not bother you or be visible to you. I would give it a look in person if it's not a lot of trouble for you. Otherwise, I would also make a list here of all the specs you are looking for so that people can find you some options. You could also post links to the stones you like and have people chime in. It sounds like you're leaning toward an older cut?

Not necessarily. I just think they look cool, and I saw some good prices on a few.

My mm size is 5-5.6mm and my budget is less than 1400 dollars, but I'd rather go less.

I have found a lot within that budget. I'm only wanting G-H and around an SI1-SI2 (I mean, of course better if I can) and I want as good of a cut as possible. I don't want anything less than "Good". I just need someone to help me pick, because beyond the 4 C's I know nothing.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hayzing|1452555088|3974467 said:
ihy138|1452535373|3974269 said:

Not necessarily. I just think they look cool, and I saw some good prices on a few.

My mm size is 5-5.6mm and my budget is less than 1400 dollars, but I'd rather go less.

I have found a lot within that budget. I'm only wanting G-H and around an SI1-SI2 (I mean, of course better if I can) and I want as good of a cut as possible. I don't want anything less than "Good". I just need someone to help me pick, because beyond the 4 C's I know nothing.

That setting really is begging for an older cut, if you ask me! ;-)

Here's what I would do - since you know exactly the specs you want, I would contact various vendors and see if they can cherry pick you a stone. Since Grace does not have what you want, I would probably contact Old World Diamonds (http://oldworlddiamonds.com/contact.php) and My Diamond Zone ([email protected]) to see what they have. Both of these vendors could send you a video of the stone so you could see it in action. Keep in mind that OECs are often uncerted or do not have GIA certs. When you say you want G-H, you probably mean GIA G-H. Make the vendors aware of that so they won't be liberal with the color. Once you have an option or two, I would start a new thread (with a link to this one) and ask for opinions on the options. You'll probably get more attention that way. :)

ETA if you end up going modern, ID Jewelry will be able to pick you something lovely.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another suggestion to relieve stress, save you time: reach out to Pro Diamond Advisor, a free to-you service recently launched by respected Trade members of PS, Neil Beaty & John Pollard, who are also valued for their kind, helpful, informative contributions to this forum:
http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/experts/neil-beaty/
http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/experts/john-pollard/

They are currently partnered, transparently, with 3 fine vendors: Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, and B2C. More info on these pages:
http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/about-us/
http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/why-pda/
http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/faqs/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results