shape
carat
color
clarity

I- Yeah, I just need help

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did GRRREAT -- and I too think she will be thrilled with it because it has the same kind of intricacies as the Verragios you posted (but a more practical shank for resizing now, and in the years ahead if that's needed). :appl: :appl: Plus, it wasn't made for a much bigger center stone than suits your budget. so that eliminates a big headache (and additional money).

Congratulations, bet you will sleep well tonight with a great sense of accomplishment! :))

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Ask around with the retailers you're looking at for stones - you can likely bring/send the setting to whichever jeweler you buy the stone from and they will set and resize for a fairly small fee. It looks right up her alley from what you've described as her taste - great job!!

hayzing

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1450236057|3962120 said:
You did GRRREAT -- and I too think she will be thrilled with it because it has the same kind of intricacies as the Verragios you posted (but a more practical shank for resizing now, and in the years ahead if that's needed). :appl: :appl: Plus, it wasn't made for a much bigger center stone than suits your budget. so that eliminates a big headache (and additional money).

Congratulations, bet you will sleep well tonight with a great sense of accomplishment! :))

Awesome. I'm glad it's a good deal. I felt like it was; just got a little worried. I know she'll love it.

FightGravity|1450238731|3962130 said:
Ask around with the retailers you're looking at for stones - you can likely bring/send the setting to whichever jeweler you buy the stone from and they will set and resize for a fairly small fee. It looks right up her alley from what you've described as her taste - great job!!

Thanks! I think it definitely is her taste. And do you know of any retailers for stones that would set and resize for a small fee? I'm looking to do this the cheapest way possible, so that I can get the best darn half to .6 carat diamond that I can get with the rest of my budget.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you live, hayzing; maybe one of us knows of a good neighborhood jeweler (not, e.g., Jared's or Kay) in your area who wouldn't charge an arm and leg to do a good job for you.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1450240706|3962141 said:
Where do you live, hayzing; maybe one of us knows of a good neighborhood jeweler (not, e.g., Jared's or Kay) in your area who wouldn't charge an arm and leg to do a good job for you.
Springfield IL

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is St. Louis too far for you? Think longtime PSer ame lives there; I bet she could give you some recommendations (and tell you who should be avoided)

hayzing

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1450243068|3962154 said:
Is St. Louis too far for you? Think longtime PSer ame lives there; I bet she could give you some recommendations (and tell you who should be avoided)

Nah, just an hour and a half. I have a friend that commutes every day for school. She lives in St Louis. So I could always send her with the ring if it's too obvious to my girlfriend, or get her to pick it up for me ... etc. But there are Tacori authorized dealers in Springfield. I could check around -- see what costs are. However, if anyone can recommend places in St Louis, I'd be willing to travel or get my friend to check it out.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am part of your "silent" cheering squad :)) . When I clicked on the eBay link there wasn't a specific ring, but I know what the Tacori Dantela ring looks like and it's a stunner. That being said, I would really suggest you take it to a reputable jeweler and see if they can safely size it down from a 7 to a 5.5, especially since there is a small amount of detail in the shank around the 4 o'clock position. And I would do this within the return period because if it can't be sized, then while you could do the sizing beads, unless she has worn a ring with sizing beads, I just wouldn't recommend it because some cannot stand sizing beads and well, she may be one of those people. I don't want to be a debbie downer at all, but I'm sensing how much effort and care you're putting into this ring and of all things, I think it should be comfortable for her to wear!

hayzing

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1450245730|3962162 said:
I am part of your "silent" cheering squad :)) . When I clicked on the eBay link there wasn't a specific ring, but I know what the Tacori Dantela ring looks like and it's a stunner. That being said, I would really suggest you take it to a reputable jeweler and see if they can safely size it down from a 7 to a 5.5, especially since there is a small amount of detail in the shank around the 4 o'clock position. And I would do this within the return period because if it can't be sized, then while you could do the sizing beads, unless she has worn a ring with sizing beads, I just wouldn't recommend it because some cannot stand sizing beads and well, she may be one of those people. I don't want to be a debbie downer at all, but I'm sensing how much effort and care you're putting into this ring and of all things, I think it should be comfortable for her to wear!

Not a Debbie Downer at all! Thanks for the heads up. And I did think about that. Although I don't know her exact size, I already contacted a Tacori dealer in my area to see how much they could size the ring. I'm thinking she may be closer to a 6 than a 5.5. I know she wears her mom's old engagement ring on her middle finger, and it's too large on her ring finger -- and it's a 7. It does fit well on her middle finger, though. So I'm thinking around a 6, very likely.

But I want to see if it can be done before keeping the ring, just in case.

And if they say the lowest they can go is a 6. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get her dang ring size lol.

http://www.tacori.com/39-2cu65 This is the ring from Tacori's website, except I got the smaller version lol. The .5 -.6 one rather than the 1 carat one.

I've had rings sized before, and this does look doable -- so I'm hoping it is.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, the one I was thinking about is slightly different but yes, I've seen the one you purchased and it's gorgeous! So right, no detail at the 4 o'clock position so that's good, but there are diamonds on the shoulder so that could be an issue if sizing down, so just make sure about safely sizing it and it sounds like you are doing just that. ;))

As far as sizing, I'd really try and get her true ring finger size. Other fingers really have no bearing on sizes of neighboring fingers if that makes sense, lol. Since you two are so close and she's put forth some thoughts into what style she likes and you both know you are going to spend the rest of your lives together, I might just ask her! I know that is totally unromantic and all, but it's not like she has no clue that you are going to propose at some point in the near-ish future. Some guys go to great lengths to estimate finger size and you could certainly do this, but I say just ask. Others may disagree ::) . Or if her mom or sister if she has one can find out exactly then that's another good way.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1450247360|3962169 said:
Ah, the one I was thinking about is slightly different but yes, I've seen the one you purchased and it's gorgeous! So right, no detail at the 4 o'clock position so that's good, but there are diamonds on the shoulder so that could be an issue if sizing down, so just make sure about safely sizing it and it sounds like you are doing just that. ;))

As far as sizing, I'd really try and get her true ring finger size. Other fingers really have no bearing on sizes of neighboring fingers if that makes sense, lol. Since you two are so close and she's put forth some thoughts into what style she likes and you both know you are going to spend the rest of your lives together, I might just ask her! I know that is totally unromantic and all, but it's not like she has no clue that you are going to propose at some point in the near-ish future. Some guys go to great lengths to estimate finger size and you could certainly do this, but I say just ask. Others may disagree ::) . Or if her mom or sister if she has one can find out exactly then that's another good way.
Lol, no I have asked her. She has no idea. She doesn't have any rings that she wears except her mother's old engagement ring on her middle finger. So we'll have to go together to get it done; or I'll get a ring sizer. However, I do plan on asking just how far this ring can be sized down without issues.

And yes, I was between a couple of the Dantela styles. I personally like the more simple banded ones, or the ones with design all around the ring -- but I know that this one she'll like better. It screamed her. And it was too good of a deal not to run with, since I think I can get a nice diamond and still be under max budget.

The only thing I'm sad about (although, I don't know why) is that I don't think the original box comes with this, even though the ring is technically "new". That blue box is absolutely gorgeous.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you are so on top of things!! Well, she can go to any jewelry store and can try on sizers there and then tell you as one option.

And I understand about the beautiful blue box. But she sounds like she won't mind not having it, so what about something like this? It's sweet and sentimental and she can store it in it if she's not wearing it. I like the one that says "Marry Me? with the heart." :))

https://www.etsy.com/listing/186781079/mini-wedding-ring-box-engagement-ring?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ring%20box&ref=sr_gallery_29

hayzing

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1450248536|3962175 said:
Oh, you are so on top of things!! Well, she can go to any jewelry store and can try on sizers there and then tell you as one option.

And I understand about the beautiful blue box. But she sounds like she won't mind not having it, so what about something like this? It's sweet and sentimental and she can store it in it if she's not wearing it. I like the one that says "Marry Me? with the heart." :))

https://www.etsy.com/listing/186781079/mini-wedding-ring-box-engagement-ring?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ring%20box&ref=sr_gallery_29

Love that!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well done, what a beautiful setting! :love: You've got a nice budget for a diamond, i can hardly wait to see the finished product!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the setting you ended up with. Just lovely! And a good price I think for a designer setting. Be sure to find out the millimeter measurements of the CZ in the setting so you can get a good sense of the size diamond to buy. Not all 1/2 carats are the same size in mm and will fit into the same setting. You can get a free ring sizer from Blue Nile that they just mail to you even if you don't buy anything from them (as far as I know). Does she have any rings that fit her left ring finger? If so, you could buy a ring mandrel and find out the size of that ring in secret.

Also, there are a million options for lovely ring boxes - vintage and otherwise - on Etsy and eBay that will blow that blue Tacori box out of the water. You could also shop around for people selling a Tacori box on those websites, although I feel like getting a keepsake will be so much more valuable. You're doing such a great job!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to this thread, but wanted to say that I absolutely love the Tacori Dantela line, I think you've done a great job!

For ring boxes, I'm digging the ones from Weft & Whimsy on Etsy (they are kinda like the Mrs. Boxes but not nearly as expensive): https://www.etsy.com/shop/WeftandWhimsy It would also be lovely to have one of these if you do engagement photos.

Let us know if you need help finding a center diamond for the setting! :appl:

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
Joining your cheering section.

I haven't read every post, but I found a great vintage ring on Ruby Lane last year well within your budget. Timeless Antiques was the seller, and I would absolutely buy from that shop again.

I'm all about value when buying; sometimes shiny and new is the best value, but frequently pre-loved and well-cared for gives you much more buying power.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Alright, I spoke with the Tacori dealer close to me and was told that it'd cost around 45 bucks to size the ring down one full size, and it'd be better if I brought it in person to see if it could be sized down even more than that.

It's also supposed to cost 50 for them to set a diamond, as long as the head wouldn't need to be replaced. He said that would be the only reason they'd ever charge me more than 50, but most likely it won't need to be replaced. He just wanted to give me forewarning.

So once I get the ring, I'll take it in and see what can be done!

Loving these ring boxes you guys are showing me, by the way. The ebayer said they are including a "nice wooden box" so we'll see if I like that one. But I kind of like the idea of either the Tacori box (which I don't get), or a unique one from etsy or something.

And I will probably be pestering you guys on a diamond. I talked to the ebay store that sold me the ring and they said the CZ currently in it is 0.5 carat and 5mm.

EDIT:

The Tacori dealer also said they should be able to work something out with a box as well! So I may actually be getting one :)

Q

Queenie60

Hi Hayzing - beautiful Tacori ring you chose. As for the ring box, I received yesterday a ring box that I purchased on etsy at gatsbysjewelry.etsy.com Sorry, I don't know how to post the link as I 'm not tech savvy. I purchased a beautiful dark blue vintage style ring box for $19.99, total of $24.94 with shipping. I have a few others from Mrs. Box and Julia B and this one is made just as well. Gatsby's Jewelry on Etsy. I wish you well on the completion of the ring - :love:

hayzing

Rough_Rock
I like the ideas of all these boxes.

Tacori messaged me back and said that the mm measurement was 5mm to 5.6 mm for the ring. So I'll be keeping an eye out.

The Tacori retailer I talked to scared me a little, talking about rebuilding the head... but that it "shouldn't need it". It just scares me because I never thought that was even an option if I got the correct size diamond.. lol. I really don't want to spend a lot just getting a diamond mounted. Ahhhhh

I know she loves this ring, though. She saw it on an advertisement on the side of my browser, while I was on my computer browsing LOL (dang it, Google). She said it was the most beautiful ring ever.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
So excited for you. I love your enthusiasm. Congrats!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
What about this diamond? I think a sweet little OEC would be perfect!
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-66ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-g-si2/

hayzing|1450413546|3962913 said:
I like the ideas of all these boxes.

Tacori messaged me back and said that the mm measurement was 5mm to 5.6 mm for the ring. So I'll be keeping an eye out.

The Tacori retailer I talked to scared me a little, talking about rebuilding the head... but that it "shouldn't need it". It just scares me because I never thought that was even an option if I got the correct size diamond.. lol. I really don't want to spend a lot just getting a diamond mounted. Ahhhhh

I know she loves this ring, though. She saw it on an advertisement on the side of my browser, while I was on my computer browsing LOL (dang it, Google). She said it was the most beautiful ring ever.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Wow, that's gorgeous.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hayzing -

I think I recall you saying that this ring is for a proposal in May, yes?

Please take that time to put together as much money as you can for a nice center diamond. You said her fingers were tiny - but then mentioned a size...5.5 I think? That's pretty standard for Pricescope and not considered small - though it may, of course, seem that way in comparison to your hand. Either way, it's not like your ring will be large in any way. So aim for something in the .6ct or above category so she has something nice; it won't be a big, flashy ring, but it would be nice for it to look proportionate to her hand, and .6 is about as low as I'd want to go, aesthetically.

It's a nice setting, but personally, I have concerns about sizing down ANY ring with side stones more than one full size, as it puts a strain on the metal. So do be careful that you don't start popping side stones if you have to - say - go down to a size 5 or something similar.

And for the record, I definitely wouldn't get an OEC (or any old cut) for a girl not familiar with them, or who hasn't expressed a specific desire for one; they DO look different, which can be off-putting if you're not familiar with them.

Keep in mind, this may well be the most important piece of jewelry she will ever own. Err on the side of generosity.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Hayzing, can you remind us what your budget is for the stone? I want to do a search for you, but wasn't sure how much the setting took out of your budget.

Also, I wonder if you should call ID jewelry. They have a great reputation on Pricescope. I haven't used them, but Yuketiel (maybe not spelling that right) and his staff have been able to find really great high quality, PS-standard diamonds for people with budgets. I am not sure if it would be possible, but they might even be willing to set the stone for you if you sent them the setting.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
If she likes vintage she will love an OEC! I have a .57 OEC and even this small size people notice the beautiful flower pattern and the uniqueness. Plus it will pair well with Tacori. Also, a large diamond doesn't appeal to everyone. I only wanted a half carat diamond because I have small fingers and I didn't want something too flashy. Sounds like Hayzings lady is similar.

Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace have a good revolving inventory of diamonds so if you want to wait you can. However, they usually carry larger OECs and it's not often for these vendors to have smaller stones. I also checked GOG and the only August Vintage Round diamonds in the smaller size within budget are very included.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1450440628|3962972 said:
hayzing -

I think I recall you saying that this ring is for a proposal in May, yes?

Please take that time to put together as much money as you can for a nice center diamond. You said her fingers were tiny - but then mentioned a size...5.5 I think? That's pretty standard for Pricescope and not considered small - though it may, of course, seem that way in comparison to your hand. Either way, it's not like your ring will be large in any way. So aim for something in the .6ct or above category so she has something nice; it won't be a big, flashy ring, but it would be nice for it to look proportionate to her hand, and .6 is about as low as I'd want to go, aesthetically.

It's a nice setting, but personally, I have concerns about sizing down ANY ring with side stones more than one full size, as it puts a strain on the metal. So do be careful that you don't start popping side stones if you have to - say - go down to a size 5 or something similar.

And for the record, I definitely wouldn't get an OEC (or any old cut) for a girl not familiar with them, or who hasn't expressed a specific desire for one; they DO look different, which can be off-putting if you're not familiar with them.

Keep in mind, this may well be the most important piece of jewelry she will ever own. Err on the side of generosity.

May at the latest. I'd thought about a few occasions, but May is when she's graduating with her Master's degree so I know it'd be a good time to do it.

And she's probably a 5.5 - 6. The ring I purchased is a 7. I think she's closer to a 6. And it looks like she has tiny fingers because I'm a size 10 and her hands are just as long as mine LOL. She's a really long girl. She is taller than me. So her fingers look thinner than they actually are. Anywhere from .5 - .7 is what I was thinking initially, so now it all depends on what quality diamond I find in a size .5 - .6 that I can afford lol.

rubybeth|1450449777|3963004 said:
Hayzing, can you remind us what your budget is for the stone? I want to do a search for you, but wasn't sure how much the setting took out of your budget.

Also, I wonder if you should call ID jewelry. They have a great reputation on Pricescope. I haven't used them, but Yuketiel (maybe not spelling that right) and his staff have been able to find really great high quality, PS-standard diamonds for people with budgets. I am not sure if it would be possible, but they might even be willing to set the stone for you if you sent them the setting.

2000 was the TOP of my budget, and I didn't want quite go that high. But I spent 655 with shipping and all on the setting. And I received 50 dollars back in eBay bucks, so let's just say I'm at 600.

I am really thinking about trying to work with ID Jewelry.
Part of me got scared because the retailer I talked to said that it was a possibility of replacing the head if a diamond didn't fit quite right.... and that made me wonder if i should just go through them. But I KNOW that I won't get anywhere near as good of a deal through them as I would on eBay, ID or WF....

I'm just scared. I want it all to work out without damaging the ring or causing me to spend a lot more money than I anticipated. Do you think that'll happen as long as I stay in the measurements Tacori gave me? Oi... I trust you guys more than I do myself. So any information or advice you guys can give, would be highly appreciated.

mandasand|1450451524|3963020 said:
If she likes vintage she will love an OEC! I have a .57 OEC and even this small size people notice the beautiful flower pattern and the uniqueness. Plus it will pair well with Tacori. Also, a large diamond doesn't appeal to everyone. I only wanted a half carat diamond because I have small fingers and I didn't want something too flashy. Sounds like Hayzings lady is similar.

Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace have a good revolving inventory of diamonds so if you want to wait you can. However, they usually carry larger OECs and it's not often for these vendors to have smaller stones. I also checked GOG and the only August Vintage Round diamonds in the smaller size within budget are very included.

I really like the looks of these. And just for giggles, I looked up Tacori rings with OEC diamonds and I found that the look is really cool. I don't think she knows what OEC is. She knows a lot less about diamonds than I do. She would think it was pretty, I know.

And the one that's out of budget is beautiful, but I really don't want to spend that much...

She really would kill me.
Our money is already together, and she'd die if she knew how much I was spending already. The other day she literally looked at me and asked if I was spending money when she saw me on eBay, and she knows the alert sound when I've won an auction (I do buy a lot online haha) and her head snapped to look at me and she was all, "Are you spending money?" haha
So really, I don't want her to get mad. I want her to have a nice ring, without going much over the budget I allotted myself because I know I'll be able to pay it off fairly quickly.

I am curious, though. I looked up this eBay seller that sells OEC diamonds, and people on PS were talking about him once upon a time.

What do you guys think.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/401041963428?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The seller in general, but I liked this?? I'm not sure about what to look for with this kind of cut....

Sorry for my ignorance, guys T_T

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice score on.the setting! You are doing great!

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Had it sent to my buddy's house in TN (I'll be there tomorrow. That's where my family is from and we'll be heading down to the holidays tomorrow morning) and he just got it. He said it looks GREAT. He says brand new(which is what it was supposed to be).. no scuffs from what he can see... nothing looks like it's missing. He says it looks great.

Now I'm sure I'll be nervous until I have it looked at by a jeweler... but at least him saying it looks good calms my nerves a little bit.

939302_10205589328629355_912982450_o.jpg

12400266_10205589330389399_135343420_o.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results