shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to make my own harvest strand!

SparklyBandit

Rough_Rock
yes, I must be crazy. I want exactly what I want. So how hard can it be?
I have one source of neat single pearls on Etsy, and I have heard of wan on Etsy.

Where does one by Tahitian baroque pearls? quality....

bandit

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you mean Wen pearls ?
She does seem to be highly regarded around here

I look forward very much to you documenting your ongoing creative process with this creation and i wish you much luck

I would like to make an ombre strand, so although different to yours i shell still be watching and learning from you :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to assemble a harvest strand now too. Hehe.

I got some circles from cmw pearls.
809257 809258

I mixed in some blue akoyas I had already
M

And now waiting for some gold 4-5mm keshi as accents! And 4 Edison pearls from Kong’s pearls which may or may not go in depending on how I like them as these will be my first Edison pearls.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m trying to assemble a harvest strand now too. Hehe.

I got some circles from cmw pearls.
809257 809258

I mixed in some blue akoyas I had already
M

And now waiting for some gold 4-5mm keshi as accents! And 4 Edison pearls from Kong’s pearls which may or may not go in depending on how I like them as these will be my first Edison pearls.

Ohhhhh very interested in seeing these Edisons that are coming !!!!

I see the 'Edison type' of pearl as my best home for Wilma Flintstones and maybe to go into my graduated whitby jet necklase that im still dreaming about restringing options for

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
As my 15 month old would say, “Ooowee!” I’m excited to see all these harvest strands! I’ve seen some nice pairs at ROLAY on Etsy.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I just snagged this (pre-assembled) harvest bracelet from Kamoka....looking forward to see what you guys come up with! :kiss2:

1612238885820.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, however it is my understanding that a harvest strand is a strand of mis-match pearls from a single pearl farm that cultivated a particular type of pearls from the same harvest.

Therefore, although one may create a similar looking strand of pearls by mixing different types, colours and shapes of pearls, the resultant strand is strictly not a "harvest strand".

As I have said, I could be wrong.

DK :))

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I could be wrong, however it is my understanding that a harvest strand is a strand of mis-match pearls from a single pearl farm that cultivated a particular type of pearls from the same harvest.

Therefore, although one may create a similar looking strand of pearls by mixing different types, colours and shapes of pearls, the resultant strand is strictly not a "harvest strand".

As I have said, I could be wrong.

I believe your understanding to be correct, @dk168 That said, we can dream! :D

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Years ago I fell in love with Kamoka's harvest strands which were way outside my budget at the time, so I patiently collected a variety of pearls and created my own "harvest-style" beauty.

I collected pearls from Druzy on eBay, and from a variety of other sellers that I no longer recall. If I recall correctly, most came from Druzy. The Tahitians are mostly Robert Wan pearls, and all are lovely! There are larger WSS and some small silver baroques that I haven't a clue where they're from. LOL!

The strand is 32" or maybe a bit longer?

As so often happens, the camera didn't at all capture the lustre and lovely overtones.

Here's an older photo of them:

IMG_8723.JPG

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dk168 is correct. A proper harvest strand is exactly that. A selection of pearls from a single farm, selected by the farmer according to any criteria he or she may adopt.
Most harvest strands are simply a good way of using up spare left-over pearls.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harvest strands do not appeal to me as I prefer the more uniform in size and colour look, hence I am not into multi-colour strands for the same reason.

Each to their own and all that.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess we could call them medley strands?

The ones I see online don’t necessarily claim the pearls are same harvest but rather that they represent what can be found in a harvest, and I wonder if the original definition has given way to people using it to describe the style.

Language is cool in that way. If the new usage is incorrect but the vastly more common usage, it sort of becomes correct itself because the ultimate point of language is to communicate. So if we all use it wrong in the same way and understand the wrong definition together, it’s right! Haha.

Certainly what I am building is a medley/mixed strand since I’m using more than just Tahitians. But I think it’s fair to call a Tahitian strand of mix n match shapes and colors a harvest strand since it seems consistent with how trade is using the term.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just snagged this (pre-assembled) harvest bracelet from Kamoka....looking forward to see what you guys come up with! :kiss2:

1612238885820.png

I look forward to seeing this lovely bracelet, Cerulean. I have such love for Kamoka pearls. Look at that saturated green! It's one of those "syrup" pearls that looks like something shiny and viscous was poured over it (according to my weird brain). My sister has one and I covet that pendant.

SparklyBandit

Rough_Rock
Where does one get quality individual pearls? What are Robert Wan pearls? I have ordered them from a Etsy vendor mentioned here and have been disappointed with the color. The website color is way more vivid then real life.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where does one get quality individual pearls? What are Robert Wan pearls? I have ordered them from a Etsy vendor mentioned here and have been disappointed with the color. The website color is way more vivid then real life.

Robert Wan is a well-known brand and/or wholesaler of Tahitian pearls, and his pearls fetch a premium because this.

Not sure I would trust any Etsy vendor claiming it stocks "Robert Wan" pearls as I believe they are tightly controlled.

I could be wrong about this, in that I recall low grade Tahitian pearls are not supposed to be sold but crushed/destroyed, so as to protect the exclusivity of Tahitian pearls and its market.

However, I believe some low grade pearls do get through, and are sold via eBay/Etsy etc...

Pearls are very difficult to photograph, like Opals, and it is not uncommon for photos to be manipulated to make them more vivid, just like CSs.

Good quality individual pearls can be obtained from the likes of PP, POJ, Kojima Pearls, and some eBay vendors that I have purchased from in the past, such as Agustus-Collection.

Wen Pearls on Etsy is my go-to for cheap and cheerful pearls, however, their quality could be a bit hit and miss. They are fine for fun projects and practices such as stringing and wire-wrapping purposes.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I look forward to seeing this lovely bracelet, Cerulean. I have such love for Kamoka pearls. Look at that saturated green! It's one of those "syrup" pearls that looks like something shiny and viscous was poured over it (according to my weird brain). My sister has one and I covet that pendant.

YES! Totally the green is as luscious IRL as I was hoping - I had to send it back to exchange the clasp and restring - but soon! I posted pics in this thread in case you are curious!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
YES! Totally the green is as luscious IRL as I was hoping - I had to send it back to exchange the clasp and restring - but soon! I posted pics in this thread in case you are curious!

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. I have no idea how I missed it! I am glad it is as beautiful in real life. Several years ago on another forum, a lady there bought the most amazing ultra saturated blue pearl with the same "wet" look. I still remember it... yummy Kamoka.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The laws for exporting of Tahitians were relaxed several years ago. Pearls with less than .8mm nacre no longer have to be destroyed.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for pointing me to the thread. I have no idea how I missed it! I am glad it is as beautiful in real life. Several years ago on another forum, a lady there bought the most amazing ultra saturated blue pearl with the same "wet" look. I still remember it... yummy Kamoka.

I am a sucker for blue pearls, I am learning. Favorite color....

And one day when I win the lotto - I will buy the necklace version! So stunning...I am hooked!

SparklyBandit

Rough_Rock
How about individual pearls? Most of the websites sell finished necklaces. If one wants to source individual pearls, is it possible to do so on line?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about individual pearls? Most of the websites sell finished necklaces. If one wants to source individual pearls, is it possible to do so on line?

I’ve gotten single Tahitians from Andrew/Moline pearls. Pearl paradise also sells singles. And cmw sells smaller “lots” which might be useful for this kind of project

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Robert Wan the person is known as the father of Tahitian Pearls. He's been growing them for longer than just about anyone still going.
They are renown for quality throughout the pearl world - he has a reputation to protect.
On a practical level they drill like a dream compared to a lot of other Tahitian pearls.
To obtain Wan (not Wen -perhaps that is the confusion?) pearls you either have to buy direct from Robert Wan or from a seller who buys from him at one of the regular Wan auctions.
It may be something to do with the general genetics of Wan pearls but I've never seen a genuine Wan which is really blue. Their blues are blue/green.

SparklyBandit

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, man, I have expensive taste. This pearl project may end up costing me more then just buying a custom strand.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harvest strands do not appeal to me as I prefer the more uniform in size and colour look, hence I am not into multi-colour strands for the same reason.

Each to their own and all that.

They are not uniform enough for me - which is kind of their point !
I would never be able to make one because my mind just wouldn't be able to mix without trying to match !
But i totally get the look and they are very beautiful

Me too regarding multi colour strands but ombre is something im craving because the colour graduation makes sence in my mind

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Haha I rationalize that pearls are a bargain compared to diamonds and gems. Imagine trying to make a diamond and sapphire necklace this length!

MTG... you keep teasing me with your ombre strand in your picture. I know I want one....I know I want one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are not uniform enough for me - which is kind of their point !
I would never be able to make one because my mind just wouldn't be able to mix without trying to match !
But i totally get the look and they are very beautiful

Me too regarding multi colour strands but ombre is something im craving because the colour graduation makes sence in my mind

I like the look of ombre strands, however, not for me personally.

Colours are very personal, and that applies to pearls too, like I prefer silvers to roses and ivories; greens and blues to peacock and browns; and lavender has to be blue and not peachy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results