shape
carat
color
clarity

I Want to Cry! Don't Like My Vatche Royal Crown Settng.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My initial thought is that your stone is much bigger than the stockbone and therefore it looses some of the effect you liked.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the size of your stone makes a huge difference! I'd see it in person first, though - looks can be deceiving in pictures. I recently had my AVC reset, and in pics from the vendor the setting looked much more "bulky" than it does in person.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I would get it first before you panic. That being said, I've had the Vatche Royal Crown for a different diamond (in yellow gold- the pictures are posted here on PS) and now I have a Vatche X-Prong Classic for my current diamond. One thing I love about the Vatche solitaires is that the "shoulders" of the ring extend seemlessly up to the prongs. Your's more extend up and UP as opposed to extend up and into the head.

I'm running out the door but later on I'll post a side shot of my ring to explain.

Still though, your ring looks gorgeous, I do think it's a Vatche, and you should see it on your finger before you have your jeweler send it back.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1306646234|2932959 said:
wanted to show you this photo i found online ... this ring has a larger diamond but is still able to keep the elegance of the head (this is a vatche royal crown with 6 prongs but wanted to show you how the culet of the diamond dips 1/3 below the upside down V)... so my advice is, don't give in and get what you want !! :appl:

royalcrown.jpg

Yes! That's why I don't think it has anything to do with Fancy Diamond's stone being bigger, because I've still seen the Royal Crown look great and swoopy with 2+ carat rounds. So just keep being persistent with what you want, FD! Good luck. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1306686126|2933150 said:
frankiextah|1306646234|2932959 said:
wanted to show you this photo i found online ... this ring has a larger diamond but is still able to keep the elegance of the head (this is a vatche royal crown with 6 prongs but wanted to show you how the culet of the diamond dips 1/3 below the upside down V)... so my advice is, don't give in and get what you want !! :appl:

royalcrown.jpg

Yes! That's why I don't think it has anything to do with Fancy Diamond's stone being bigger, because I've still seen the Royal Crown look great and swoopy with 2+ carat rounds. So just keep being persistent with what you want, FD! Good luck. :)

But that is a 6 prong and hers looks to be a 4 prong, right? Plus, am I wrong, the diamond in question is also MUCH larger than 2 cts, no?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I see your issue - the trellis on your ring has two clear inflection points, on the rings you like there is just one:

Vatche%20Royal%20Crown%20Solitaire.jpg

I do agree with Dreamer though, take a look at it and see how you feel in-person. You can always tell your jeweller that you're uncertain if you'll be happy with it, and you're waiting to see it, so that he/she knows more work may be needed.

I actually really like yours - way more than both inspiration pics. Your stone is large - in the 6prong pic that stone is sitting really high off the finger, do that to yours - which is both deeper and wider, I believe? - and I rather think the whole thing will start to resemble a birdcage with a budgie perched somewhere inside - rather than as it is now, w/ the stone being cradled by the prongs..

Here's what I mean, excuse the crude paintjob - can see, give or take, how much higher yours would need to sit to preserve that ~43deg angle (it's exaggerated a bit, couldn't get the angle quite right), if trellis is concave throughout (instead of switching from concave to convex at the two points in the earlier pic - w/ and w/o on-screen protractors

royalcrown_0.png

Vatche%20Royal%20Crown%20Solitairesss_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, you are a genius. I think that often but I just wanted to tell you! :appl:

I think the shape and size of this stone dictated the head. There is no way to make it look like the others. To set it higher would make it really look odd.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just my two cents, if it is Vatche, they did not follow their own style of smooth lines. They should have these ring designs worked out for any size of stone that they recommend. The style should not be compromised because of the stone size if they are willing you use that size. Your setting is not as smooth as they show on their website and that is what most people are going to use top pick a setting.

I hope it isn't as noticeable in person because until you see in, you won't know it if it bothers you or not.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pancake|1306637590|2932840 said:
I think it's an issue of proportion - your stone is MUCH larger in comparison to ring size than the sample photo.

I agree - think this is due to larger stone. Sad that it isn't a "swoopy" as you wanted though.... perhaps try another style?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Just my 2¢, I think it looks like the "modifications" suit your stone beautifully. If the swoops were like a smaller center stone, it would look off.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not understand why raising the stone slightly would not work. To show how the modification would look, I did the followings:
1. Print a copy of my current ring.
2. Cut the stone with its "cradle" and move it up slightly.
3. "Collapse" the shanks so they "move in" towrads the diamond.
4. Add swoop.

Here are the resulting look and side-by-side comparison with current design.

The level at which the stone sits in the modified photo will be the highest I would do to keep the ring from being too "top heavy".

What do you all think? Do you like the ring as is or the modified look? Do you see any potential problems?

Modify.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us what size this stone is? Weight and diameter? The size has a lot to do with whether I think it could be set higher or not.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1306797898|2934028 said:
Can you tell us what size this stone is? Weight and diameter? The size has a lot to do with whether I think it could be set higher or not.
9.6x9.5x6.3

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I imagine they set the stone as low as possible because of it's large size.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FD - if you're okay with a high setting then you could certainly get the look you're going for, raising the shoulders sufficiently.. you'd have to be okay with the considerable height though. Your stone is no little thing!! :sun:

diamondseeker2006|1306708698|2933304 said:
Yssie, you are a genius. I think that often but I just wanted to tell you! :appl:

I just saw this :bigsmile: funnily enough the tea rack I spent *hours* rigging up instead of just buying the darn thing just fell to pieces not ten minutes ago, I'm getting a giggle out of the timing :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you actually seen it in person yet Fancy? Really, the wheels are spinning unless you see it first.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306822342|2934294 said:
Have you actually seen it in person yet Fancy? Really, the wheels are spinning unless you see it first.

agreed. Are you getting it today?

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1306846957|2934376 said:
Dreamer_D|1306822342|2934294 said:

agreed. Are you getting it today?

The jewelry store opens at 10:30AM. After I discuss with my jeweler, then I shall know if I would see the ring in the store today or receive it at home tomorrow. Will keep you posted. I may have more questions then.

I know that it is important to see and try the ring first instead of spinning wheels. I just want to prepare myself for all possibilities. More importantly, I want to confirm my assessments and preferences, and understand options and limitations.

bendlikeawillow

Rough_Rock
I'd really love to know how this all worked out!

It looks to me that the maximum size recommended for this setting is 2.99ct. This stone is about 4.5ct, right? Maybe it's time to find a new jeweler :sick:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
FD was this ever resolved??

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Others have touched on this but the real issue here is the proportion of your stone and the one in your inspiration photo.

Look at them side by side, I've put a red line where the culet of your diamond and the one in the inspiration photo sit. You can see that it's phenomenally different. Your diamond is proportionally wider, longer and higher. Sitting the diamond higher will help but it won't solve the problem because I suspect the ring needs to be scaled up and the head needs to be remodelled so that it is larger. However, that means that it will sit very high off your finger - would that be okay for you?

I know this is a silly question but is the setting suitable for the size of your diamond? Do Vatache recommend a diamond range for it or is it supposed to be adjustable to fit most sizes (within reason of course)?

Vatache ring comparison.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wonder what happened with this. Did you keep the ring or change it, FD?

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious too! I remember this thread...hope it worked out!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for caring. Before, I did not respond because I believe that if one does not have good things to say, one better not bother. Besides, I am afraid of being attacked by all the fans of the jeweler. Now, since more of you asked, I feel obliged to give some answer without lots of details.

When I received the ring, I found some additional workmanship problems with the ring. I remember someone said something about modifying an existing setting that was originally made for a smaller diamond. There are certainly some signs. I was going to settle with the existing version but with the workmanship problems fixed until I saw the diamond in person under my kitchen’s skylight in late morning and afternoon. Unlike what I was told to believe, the diamond (very strong floro) looks hazy to me. I kept cleaning the diamond many different ways, using Dawn and JetSet Steam, but in vain. Tried to work out problem with vendor, but the situation is like arguing about acceptability of eye-cleanliness of an SI2 clarity diamond. At the end, I gave up and with lots of efforts, minimized my loss to about $900. Although I lost money, I was glad that I would not continue losing more money with additional purchases from the same vendor.

Now, almost a year has gone by, I look back with clearer thoughts. My conclusions now are
1. As a consumer/customer, when purchasing $$$$ diamonds (especially not round), it is best to examine the diamond in person FIRST before committing to a setting. The extra $200 shipping charge is worth the "insurance".

2. Never lose my guard when dealing with a vendor first time, even if they are highly recommended vendors with lots of rave reviews. Customers tend to give good reviews and skip bad experience. Additionally, just because I have excellent experience with other PS vendors (namely WF and BGD) before does not necessarily mean that the other PS vendors are great. That is, don’t take their words for it. Take time checking out all concerns.

I feel being misled and do not appreciate running into walls when problem arises. I can only take consolation in thinking that my monetary loss put an end to a painful and frustrating experience.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear you were unhappy :(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, so sorry you had such a bad experience, what an upsetting episode. It must have been very draining for you. :blackeye:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

New ER pics in (happy) other thread, why was this thread resurrected?? :confused:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results