carat
color
clarity

I think it's safer to NOT order take out from restaurants

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't pack lunch. I work in a hospital and eat there. I have for >30 years. Essential staff working in hospitals appreciate when food is brought because they can't get a break to get out and eat.

cheers--Sharon

A local community group has been collecting money and sending breakfast/lunch/dinner/midnight snacks to all "essential" workers and they never turn down delivered food! Every time I get a paycheck I donate!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They obey their government because their government will kill them and/or their families to keep them in line, without hesitation. In that context count me as a proud spoiled American! In a time like this it may seem easier to justify removing freedom in order to secure health or safety but you seem to be willing to stretch that line really far.
Yup, Kenny don't seem to understand the Chinese communist government. There are missing reporters who was reporting the truth about the Wuhan virus outbreak but somehow they have had disappeared! , and if a family member question about their disappearance he/she will disappear too.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, Kenny don't seem to understand the Chinese communist government. There are missing reporters who was reporting the truth about the Wuhan virus outbreak but somehow they have had disappeared! , and if a family member question about their disappearance he/she will disappear too.

Don’t forget the people who were locked into their homes and apartment buildings from the outside if officials thought anyone inside might have the virus. If they did have it they didn’t get out for medical care or anything else. Yup, that’s one way to make sure the virus doesn’t spread. I can’t believe anyone would call for that here...or suggest that Americans are spoiled for not accepting such draconian methods of containment.

Regardless, the article above stated there is not significant increased risk wether you have food/groceries delivered and may in fact be less risk than going to the grocery store. After 5 days at home I’m pretty sure we are ordering food tonight. I’m pretty happy about that!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kind of food..:lickout: salt and pepper ribs, crab and (fun see) vermicelli?

Yes!!!! It was so so so yummy!

This was a our local haunt before the virus. Little hole in the wall restaurant but it did a roaring trade and the food was/is very fresh.

We'd hate to see it go under so we're committing to one meal a week from here at minimum. Plus it's absolutely delicious!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Don’t forget the people who were locked into their homes and apartment buildings from the outside if officials thought anyone inside might have the virus. If they did have it they didn’t get out for medical care or anything else. Yup, that’s one way to make sure the virus doesn’t spread. I can’t believe anyone would call for that here...or suggest that Americans are spoiled for not accepting such draconian methods of containment.

Regardless, the article above stated there is not significant increased risk wether you have food/groceries delivered and may in fact be less risk than going to the grocery store. After 5 days at home I’m pretty sure we are ordering food tonight. I’m pretty happy about that!
You suspect but cannot prove the bolded statement. Yes they were locked in from the outside, but they got free food delivered to them, and they did have a system to move some people to hospitals. Otherwise, how did the hospitals swell up with patients? My cousin, a nurse, volunteered to be transferred to a hospital in Wuhan to help, and law enforcement brought in people who needed hospital treatment. I don't doubt that the Chinese government censors and jails journalists who differ from the state narrative, but you make it sound like nothing was done for any of the people locked into apartment buildings, so they were left to die outside hospitals, which is just not the case.

I'm just sick of people stating their suspicions and opinions as fact. This is the third coronavirus thread where I noticed it happening.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
You suspect but cannot prove the bolded statement. Yes they were locked in from the outside, but they got free food delivered to them, and they did have a system to move some people to hospitals. Otherwise, how did the hospitals swell up with patients? My cousin, a nurse, volunteered to be transferred to a hospital in Wuhan to help, and law enforcement brought in people who needed hospital treatment. I don't doubt that the Chinese government censors and jails journalists who differ from the state narrative, but you make it sound like nothing was done for any of the people locked into apartment buildings, so they were left to die outside hospitals, which is just not the case.

I'm just sick of people stating their suspicions and opinions as fact. This is the third coronavirus thread where I noticed it happening.

I didn’t say that ”nothing was done for any of the people locked into apartment buildings, so they were left to die outside hospitals”...you came up with that on your own. There are plenty of reports that some people didn’t get out to the hospitals and the very harsh punishments for those who didn’t comply With forced confinement.
Perhaps you keep seeing people “stating their suspicions and opinions as fact” because you read things they didn’t actually write.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t say that ”nothing was done for any of the people locked into apartment buildings, so they were left to die outside hospitals”...you came up with that on your own. There are plenty of reports that some people didn’t get out to the hospitals and the very harsh punishments for those who didn’t comply With forced confinement.
Perhaps you keep seeing people “stating their suspicions and opinions as fact” because you read things they didn’t actually write.

What you wrote was "If they did have it [the coronavirus] they didn't get out for medical help or anything else."

No qualifying language like "some" or "probably" or "I think" or "I believe", but you did say "didn't get out for medical help or anything else". Therefore it read as a factual statement. My apologies if your statement was meant to be read as an opinion. It didn't come across that way to me.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know something I can appreciate that not everyone shares the same opinion about getting food out however can we just consider for a second that not everyone has the same capacity for handling a crisis. It's become apparent that in any of the COVID threads any suggestion that you are leaving the house for any reason that is not to get groceries (and even that is judged because you can order online) or for a medical appointment prompts all these negative responses.

Okay well maybe coffee is not necessary because I can make it at home but it is some degree or normal. Some people need that or they need to take a walk or get dinner out because it's what keeps them sane and no I am not exaggerating. I'm not saying that we should be deliberately ignoring the "stay home" orders but if someone wants to get a takeout and they are doing it with some degree of safety then I don't think they should be judged for that.

Also doing so does not make someone selfish, it does not mean they don't care about their family, to the contrary maybe it helps them to stay home the other 99% of the time which makes them just the opposite IMO.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are things different in the states? In my neighborhood people are going for walks all the time.

Certainly not in groups and everyone crosses the road when they see you but people are very much walking around at various times exercising.

Are people not leaving their houses in other countries?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl, this really depends on the particular state you are in. My state has a "stay safe, stay home" which seems to be a lot looser than an actual quarantine or lockdown and many businesses considered essential are still open, the list of what qualifies is pretty extensive. Restaurants are open for take-out only.

When I tell you my kids go out everyday in the yard for the past 2 weeks and there are no other kids out, it's not an exaggeration. It seems that according to data Connecticut is doing a relatively good job of staying home overall, I still see a lot of people in the stores but they need to get food so it is what it is.

There are a lot of people on PS and otherwise who are not leaving the house at all, ordering groceries online, no take/out etc. obviously that is the very safe way to go.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn it is very confusing the "stay home" order.

I interpreted it as don't associate with anyone outside the household (although hubby drove out for take out which is still legal right now) and I went to the shops once for milk.

I didn't think it meant stay indoors because you can catch it from the air.

Can you catch it from the air? Like walking down the street if the street is empty? I didn't think you could.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl, yes it is rather ambiguous if it's not a straight lockdown or quarantine. Here they more or less are just encouraging people to limit time in public, keep six feet apart, don't go visiting or gather. All the entertainment type venues are closed and have been for some time.

I don't know if it's airborn, maybe someone else can answer that?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have read no less than 3 separate news reports today of groceries stores/markets being closed due a CV +ve staff member. Community spread is very real. People are infected, are asymptomatic, and carry on with their jobs, everywhere, markets notwithstanding. Then they become symptomatic.

While I can agree that the fewer people who handle your food the better, buying your own food and preparing it provides "no guarantee" .

cheers--Sharon

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it's airborn, maybe someone else can answer that?

I heard a report on the news last night that scientists from Princeton, NIH, & UCLA said the virus could remain airborne for 3 hrs which, if true, is darn scary. I haven't followed up on the story to see if it has been corroborated.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are things different in the states? In my neighborhood people are going for walks all the time.

Certainly not in groups and everyone crosses the road when they see you but people are very much walking around at various times exercising.

I live in a small wooded gated community, so people are out but we stay away from each other.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't even have grocery delivery in my city. It used to exist, but not now. Even pick up service is taking longer and longer. Currently at 8 days. By the time we get milk, it is almost past it's expiry. So we don't have a lot of options. Plus the produce is the worst I've ever seen. I'm okay with it, it is what it is, but it's stressful times.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, I'm so sorry that you're having such a tough time getting food, there really should be more options available especially for the immunocompromised and getting poor quality or expired items is unacceptable.

I would send you food if I could! Maybe not milk but most definitely anything else.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn We're fine, don't worry. It's just kind of disheartening to read that so many people in the US can have everything delivered without much delay even. Whereas our systems are overloaded. People are awful, and continue to hoard when we shouldn't have any issues at all with our food supply.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Huh?
I'm well aware of all this.

All I meant was the social/cultural/political systems in China and Singapore do a better job, than more- free countries do, of controlling their people, and therefore this virus.
Of course lack of freedom is bad in many ways, but it's good for combating a pandemic like this.

I didn't say their systems are perfect or nothing bad happens there. :roll:

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We did Chinese pick up today for dinner.
My area has a low number(8 in the county) of active cases so we rolled the dice.
It was yummy!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn We're fine, don't worry. It's just kind of disheartening to read that so many people in the US can have everything delivered without much delay even. Whereas our systems are overloaded. People are awful, and continue to hoard when we shouldn't have any issues at all with our food supply.

Which country are you in Lyra?

Indeed people can be awful.

I was out for milk. Miraculously there was a tonne of mince and eggs. However I did not buy any because I do not need mince and eggs right now. Leave it to someone else.

Where are the hoarders even keeping all their stuff? How much pasta can you eat?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have zero cases in our county. The state has had regulations in place for two weeks (schools have been out for 2 weeks) and the governor just ordered "stay at home" with all but essential businesses closed through April 29.

So as others have said, there is basically no difference in getting a take out hot meal and going to the grocery store. Both carry risk. However, I think that walking in or driving thru to pick up a food order results in less people contact (maybe 1-3 minutes) than the time spent in a grocery store, which might 5 times longer (10-15 min). It's hard to have enough food for 6 weeks, although if it were the actual plague, I think we could manage eating pasta or rice and canned goods for that long if we had to. But for now, we go to the store if we need a few things (my pantry is usually well stocked and I do have some frozen organic veggies since fresh is not guaranteed), and we get take out meals twice a week for a break. I wash my hands after opening the take-out package, remove the food to a clean plate, throw away the packaging, and wash hands again before I eat. I don't go anywhere around people otherwise. Our grandchildren live 10 minutes away and we have to facetime. If my area starts to get cases, then I will likely revise what we do. If I get it, which I certainly hope I don't, I will know that I did all I reasonably could.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh?
I'm well aware of all this.

All I meant was the social/cultural/political systems in China and Singapore do a better job, than more- free countries do, of controlling their people, and therefore this virus.
Of course lack of freedom is bad in many ways, but it's good for combating a pandemic like this.

I didn't say their systems are perfect or nothing bad happens there. :roll:
Nope, not true. Had the chinese government lock down Wuhan and acknowledge the virus to the world in Dec. a lot of lives would had been saved.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are not supposed to in France.

You can get your groceries, can go to work and back if WfH isn't possible or your job is essentiel to the community, can help people in need, can go out for medical reasons. And you can go out for exercising within 1 km of your home for one hour max each day.
You need to print out a form, fill in your adress , name and tick the box with the reason why you go out. Sign the passage with "sworn statement" and keep on your person.
If going to work, your employer needs to stamp the form as well.

Fines start at 135€, go up to 500€.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are not supposed to in France.

You can get your groceries, can go to work and back if WfH isn't possible or your job is essentiel to the community, can help people in need, can go out for medical reasons. And you can go out for exercising within 1 km of your home for one hour max each day.
You need to print out a form, fill in your adress , name and tick the box with the reason why you go out. Sign the passage with "sworn statement" and keep on your person.
If going to work, your employer needs to stamp the form as well.

Fines start at 135€, go up to 500€.

I think probably we need to do this sooner vs later. In the states (at least the states I am living in at the moment) we are allowed to exercise outdoors as long as we practice social distancing. I think that is going to have to change mainly because people are not being responsible about this and not following the 6 foot rules. We received an email yesterday from one of our PCPs and she urged her patients in the email to exercise outdoors but make sure we are 6 feet apart. I was surprised she is advocating outdoor exercise still given the exponential rising of cases but I get it. Some people are going stir crazy and for their mental well being perhaps exercising outdoors is critical as long as they are being responsible about it. The problem here (as I see it) is many people are *not* practicing 6 foot distancing and that is going to hurt many who are following the rules more closely. It is a difficult situation made worse by irresponsible people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it makes you feel any better it is near impossible to get food delivered in our area. We must go out to the grocery stores/supermarkets to get food. And for those who are hoarding (and I don't think PSers are the issue) shame on them. The elderly and the ill cannot get the supplies they need because of the hoarders. I would be interested in the statistics...what % are ruining it for everyone else?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have zero cases in our county. The state has had regulations in place for two weeks (schools have been out for 2 weeks) and the governor just ordered "stay at home" with all but essential businesses closed through April 29.

So as others have said, there is basically no difference in getting a take out hot meal and going to the grocery store. Both carry risk. However, I think that walking in or driving thru to pick up a food order results in less people contact (maybe 1-3 minutes) than the time spent in a grocery store, which might 5 times longer (10-15 min). It's hard to have enough food for 6 weeks, although if it were the actual plague, I think we could manage eating pasta or rice and canned goods for that long if we had to. But for now, we go to the store if we need a few things (my pantry is usually well stocked and I do have some frozen organic veggies since fresh is not guaranteed), and we get take out meals twice a week for a break. I wash my hands after opening the take-out package, remove the food to a clean plate, throw away the packaging, and wash hands again before I eat. I don't go anywhere around people otherwise. Our grandchildren live 10 minutes away and we have to facetime. If my area starts to get cases, then I will likely revise what we do. If I get it, which I certainly hope I don't, I will know that I did all I reasonably could.

Yes you can only do the best you can do. Hoping everyone stays well and safe @diamondseeker2006.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard a report on the news last night that scientists from Princeton, NIH, & UCLA said the virus could remain airborne for 3 hrs which, if true, is darn scary. I haven't followed up on the story to see if it has been corroborated.

Technically it is an airborne virus but (so far) practically speaking it is rare to get infected that way. But it is possible.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is going to have to change mainly because people are not being responsible about this and not following the 6 foot rules.

Yep, the (sorry, but true ) young idiots doing "résistance" , partying in cafés and in the streets did that to EVERYONE.

The closing of all parks and the city forests end of last week as well.
All the trapped city kids are forever grateful for this lost opportunity I am sure. Just because some thought they were so smart "playing the system" and getting together in groups in parks.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it very crowded where you live @missy ?

Because the only way you wouldn't be 6 feet from someone here is if they chased you down on purpose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results