• Definitely too big and gawdy!

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Large size but still lovely!

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely take a break and spend a few months observing how you feel about your ring (it will ebb and flow) and also how you feel about other ring designs. Research, research, research!
And enjoy the journey. What ends up on your finger is only a very small fraction of what a jewellery afficianado appreciates.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baguette halos have a MUCH higher chance of turning out wrong than they do right.

THIS is what you get when they go wrong, and nobody wants that:
file.jpg

And yes, they are very expensive because of all those custom cut baguettes.

My advice is something like this: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/art-deco-platinum-engagement-ring-pid-1056-44.html

Or this:
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/art-deco-platinum-engagement-ring-pid-1056-44.html but with the asscher.

If you wanted baguettes in there AFFORDABLY, this is what you should do:

file.jpg

OR an airline halo like this:
ring_modified.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want a double halo, instead of the bright cut pave, you would want to do two v-cut pave halos with 1/2 point melee. Trust me on this.

It will give you this look, but in the right proportion for you center (the 1/2 point melee)

_15201.jpg

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1393141854|3621033 said:
If you want a double halo, instead of the bright cut pave, you would want to do two v-cut pave halos with 1/2 point melee. Trust me on this.

It will give you this look, but in the right proportion for you center (the 1/2 point melee)
Gypsy, that is an amazing example of a beautiful double halo option. :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Since you've already had major issues with customization, maybe research a setting/semi-mount, so that you avoid not knowing what you're going to end up with. I'm glad to hear that your jeweler is willing to work with you and I hope that you get a ring that you can be happy with.

cctiny

Rough_Rock

If there is anyone I would trust, Gypsy! It would be YOU! Thank you so much!

cctiny

Rough_Rock

Do you by any chance have the profile view on this ring? I would love to see more pics

So I should tell the jeweler "I would like 2 v-cut pave halos with 1/2 pt melee"

How many points did I have before?
What is 1.15 and 1.6?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Points are units of measure.

So one carat is 100 points.

I don't know what the melee on your current halo are. You would have to ask him. Likely they are about 1 pointers.

Your stone is around 6x6 right?

This is my single halo with v-cut pave -- the melee in my halo are 1/2 pointers. My stone is also about 6x6. With my halo the ring is about 8x8 (little bigger). If you add another halo are you adding about another 2mm (even with 1/2 pointers) which would bring you to about 10x10. Which is where you want to be.
1/2 point halo just right to double:
Green%20Stack%201.jpg

If you get a double halo with the same proportions it will be very nice in proportion to the center. One pointers in a double halo, even with the v-cut (which will cut down the bulk considerably over the bright cut you have now) would still be too large. 1/2 pointers are 1mm in diameter. 1 pointers are 1.3.

How I know that 1 pointers would be too large is because my OLD halo used to have 1 pointers. As you can see... if you added another halo to this it would be way too big, proportionally. And would again, overpower your center.
One point halo: Too big to double.
Layla%20new%20halo%20garden.jpg

It's all about proportionality.

I do not have additional images of that halo. But if you want profile design suggestions I can post some.

1.15 and 1.6 might be the millimeter size of you melee. I don't know. Where did you get those numbers?

Here is a chart that shows you how many millimeters correspond to how many points. http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Update/dia04.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What you should say to your jeweler is that you want a halo with the same style of pave seen below:

_15201.jpg

With 1/2 point melee.

cctiny

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1393220778|3621688 said:
What you should say to your jeweler is that you want a halo with the same style of pave seen below:

_15201.jpg

With 1/2 point melee.
LOVE this ring...You don't think this style of pave (without milgrain) will take away from the octagonal shape of the asscher?

Since the stone faces up on the smaller side, do you think I should do a claw setting instead of bezel, too?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bezel will add bulk. Also will compromise performance of a not so well cut asscher. Putting it in prongs will allow it to look brighter and will also cut down on bulk. So yes.

Here is an idea for the profile:

01702fafb736a431eba745a337e8bef7.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cctiny|1393288430|3622302 said:
LOVE this ring...You don't think this style of pave (without milgrain) will take away from the octagonal shape of the asscher?

I won't lie to you, even with 2 melee in each corner of my halo (as I specified) my halo is more cushion than octagonal. So yes, I it will have that effect. You can ask him to do his best to make the halos as octagonal as possible. But it will not be as defined as the brightcut lines he was able to get on your existing halo.

It's a trade off.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1393142177|3621034 said:
Two more options.

Gypsy where did you find the second setting? Id love it for a right hand ring.

And please point me to the post on your set! Your three rings are perhaps the most beautiful set I've ever seen, proportionately and the styles - how you made an asscher halo work with a diamond band and an emerald band. Abso frickin lutely GORgEoUS.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redroze|1393297268|3622408 said:
Gypsy|1393142177|3621034 said:
Two more options.

Gypsy where did you find the second setting? Id love it for a right hand ring.

And please point me to the post on your set! Your three rings are perhaps the most beautiful set I've ever seen, proportionately and the styles - how you made an asscher halo work with a diamond band and an emerald band. Abso frickin lutely GORgEoUS.

Etsy: Quite a few sellers have it.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/154619211/asscher-cut-morganite-halo-hsi-diamonds?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=jewelry_mid&gclid=CLKVhtOq5rwCFURsfgodnQoAEg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119087778/palladium-asscher-morganite-engagement?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=jewelry_high&gclid=CKvAruOq5rwCFU1bfgodxSkAlQ

http://www.etsy.com/listing/164985798/asscher-cut-morganite-halo-hsi-diamonds?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=jewelry_mid&gclid=CISEtfCq5rwCFQVafgodyj8A5w

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1393220620|3621686 said:
Points are units of measure.

So one carat is 100 points.

I don't know what the melee on your current halo are. You would have to ask him. Likely they are about 1 pointers.

Your stone is around 6x6 right?

This is my single halo with v-cut pave -- the melee in my halo are 1/2 pointers. My stone is also about 6x6. With my halo the ring is about 8x8 (little bigger). If you add another halo are you adding about another 2mm (even with 1/2 pointers) which would bring you to about 10x10. Which is where you want to be.
1/2 point halo just right to double:
Green%20Stack%201.jpg

If you get a double halo with the same proportions it will be very nice in proportion to the center. One pointers in a double halo, even with the v-cut (which will cut down the bulk considerably over the bright cut you have now) would still be too large. 1/2 pointers are 1mm in diameter. 1 pointers are 1.3.

How I know that 1 pointers would be too large is because my OLD halo used to have 1 pointers. As you can see... if you added another halo to this it would be way too big, proportionally. And would again, overpower your center.
One point halo: Too big to double.
Layla%20new%20halo%20garden.jpg

It's all about proportionality.

I do not have additional images of that halo. But if you want profile design suggestions I can post some.

1.15 and 1.6 might be the millimeter size of you melee. I don't know. Where did you get those numbers?

Here is a chart that shows you how many millimeters correspond to how many points. http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Update/dia04.htm

Nice set Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you greg!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
THeadjack for one question to gypsy.....

Scruples question for you.. Would you consider upgrading your asscher to an Octavia; if $ allowed for it to be upgraded? :tongue: :Up_to_something: :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1393300963|3622460 said:
THeadjack for one question to gypsy.....

Scruples question for you.. Would you consider upgrading your asscher to an Octavia; if $ allowed for it to be upgraded? :tongue: :Up_to_something: :wavey:

I personally could not. I promised by DH I would never upgrade or change out my center stone voluntarily (not in cases of left or loss, in other words). But if I COULD... I'm a bit of a size whore when it comes to asschers. So my priority with my funds would be to go larger... and for the money a generic asscher would let me do that more affordably. BUT if the funds were there and I was chosing between a 6.5 or 7mm (ideal size for me) generic or a 6.5 or 7 mm Octavia, then yes I would pick the Octavia.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, your set does look great with the emerald band in the center!

Also, that design you posted above is gorgeous..the one with the baguettes for the 4 long sides and then rounds on the corners.That is my favorite of all the rings posted because it is more unique and very deco looking to me.

I am personally not so fond of double pave halos for an engagement ring. They just look more like right hand cocktail type rings to me with a few exceptions when very well done. And I also think they can really make the center stone look smaller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results