• Definitely too big and gawdy!

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Large size but still lovely!

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cctiny

Rough_Rock
Please be honest and tell me if this ring looks ridiculous to you? I have a 1.24 ct asscher, that's always looked smaller (than I like).
So I thought a double halo would be the perfect way to increase the finger coverage on my size 5.5 fingers. The face of the ring now measure 14.5mm all around.

I just finally got it from the jeweler and I'm embarrassed to wear it. The center stone still looks small but now the halos just make the face of the ring too big. What do you think? Am I just one of those people who can never learn to be happy? Is it pretty and not gawdy?

Thanks in advance (for your honest opionions!)

_15037.jpg

_15038.jpg

_15039.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I think it looks very elegant! looks beautiful!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cctiny, I think your ring is very pretty, so that's why I chose "lovely". However, to be honest, I would probably wear it on my right hand and not as an ering. Hope that doesn't offend you. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I didn't vote because while I think that it's too big, that doesn't mean that I think that its gaudy. I agree with you that the double halo is simply too large for the center stone. It takes away from the beauty of your asscher. To be honest, I think that you would have been much better off with a single halo because it would have increased finger coverage without changing the look of the center stone entirely. I think that this is one of those cases where bigger is not always better and I am sorry that you are unhappy with your upgrade. I know how difficult the upgrade process can be and many of us have had to make decisions without truly knowing what the final outcome will be.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
LLJsmom|1392679645|3617305 said:
cctiny, I think your ring is very pretty, so that's why I chose "lovely". However, to be honest, I would probably wear it on my right hand and not as an ering. Hope that doesn't offend you. :)

+1
It has a great Art Deco quality.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feel is that the proportions are somewhat off; a bit too much halo, not quite enough center stone. I agree with the poster who mentioned a single halo - I think that would look great.

Good luck!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a single halo would be lovely.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the workmanship looks wonderful.. I think it is now what I would call a dinner ring.. or fancy ring.. it's truly stunning!!! if it were you engagement ring I would either look for another stone and wear it on the left, or change it to something smaller.

:love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1392680577|3617325 said:
My feel is that the proportions are somewhat off; a bit too much halo, not quite enough center stone. I agree with the poster who mentioned a single halo - I think that would look great.

Good luck!

+1

I think the stones in the second halo look like they should have been a little smaller. That being
said, it still looks like a lovely ring. I would be more apt to wear it as a RHR and just wear a band
On my left hand.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need a 3rd options which says it depends what you are wearing it for. As a dinner ring or a Right hand ring it's awesome, I'd rock it exactly as it is. If you are wearing it as a engagement ring and you want it to be elegant it needs a smaller halo that is all...

cctiny

Rough_Rock
I just recently discovered PS, and I'm obsessed! Probably because I'm having so many doubts about my ring I've been on this site nonstop for the last week. I really appreciate all the responses. I guess I will have to live with yet another ring that falls short of my "dream". My poor husband, he really wanted me to love my engagement ring after being married for 8 years and getting a ring that I never loved...which was a poorly executed single halo.

I had seen double halos that I thought were tasteful, hence my decision. But I guess everyone thinks its not so great for an e-ring. I have no choice now. Not unless I win the lottery and secretly have it re-done for the 4th time! :)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
The workmanship on the ring looks great and it's a very pretty piece. Like the others have intimated, it seems more like a cocktail, right hand ring to me though, rather than an engagement ring. I'd still be proud to wear it. I might prefer a single halo though to really show off your rock. The double halos seem to detract from the main star a bit too much.

You should also know you'll probably get used to the "largeness" of it eventually. If not, then definitely time for another reset. You should feel comfortable with your bling. You don't want it to sit in a box.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I wrote gawdy but its not gawdy but I would rather wear as right hand ring and not an Eriing. It would have been perfect in a simple Ritani single halo......but hate is a strong word. Sorry

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I think it's larger than I'd like, I don't think it's gaudy at all. :)) Are the halos just thicker than you'd like?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
to me, I think the ring looks more like a cocktail ring for the right hand. But i am a solitaire kinda person.

But you have to be comfortable with the look and feel of it.
Wear it for a while (every day for a few weeks) to see how you go with it.

Considering that $ is an issue: what you may find is that the more you wear it; the more CONFIDENT you become with wearing the ring.

Good luck in this process.
Dust!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a beautiful, elegant ring that looks well- made and looks pretty on your hand - definitely not gaudy! I do think, though, that the thick halo does swallow your center stone a little.

I'm just curious - were you aware that the ring was going to be this wide? Did you discuss with the jeweler beforehand the dimensions of the ring, the style, etc? (I'm assuming this is a custom-made ring?) I was just thinking that if this is not what you expected or specified, maybe you could speak to the jeweler about your concerns. Just thinking out loud.

Since you say you have no options about changing it, and if this is what you commissioned, I would wear it and enjoy it! It's a really pretty ring. And you will get used to the size the more you wear it.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1392685698|3617424 said:
I think it is a beautiful, elegant ring that looks well- made and looks pretty on your hand - definitely not gaudy! I do think, though, that the thick halo does swallow your center stone a little.

I'm just curious - were you aware that the ring was going to be this wide? Did you discuss with the jeweler beforehand the dimensions of the ring, the style, etc? (I'm assuming this is a custom-made ring?) I was just thinking that if this is not what you expected or specified, maybe you could speak to the jeweler about your concerns. Just thinking out loud.

Since you say you have no options about changing it, and if this is what you commissioned, I would wear it and enjoy it! It's a really pretty ring. And you will get used to the size the more you wear it.

I bolded certain quotes hoping that you will answer, but I do agree with Junebug about how pretty and well-made it looks. Looks like very fine diamonds and quality, it's just the design that doesn't scream e-ring, but I wouldn't be ashamed to wear it! Wear it proudly if you have no choice. Give it a chance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just give it 6 months...DSS will set in and it will feel just fine on your hand!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's too big honestly.

I have a double halo e-ring, but my halo is angled and my stones are smaller. I think the issue with yours is the halos need to be angled, but they are not so they add a lot of size and bulk for lack of a better word. They are overpowering your asscher IMHO.

cctiny

Rough_Rock
Now I just feel sick to my stomach. Thanks everyone for your honest opinion. I did ask.

I will try to wear it a little longer to see if it will grow on me. It was a custom made ring by an independent jeweler. He didn't do the work himself. We discussed the dimensions...but it turned out a lot bigger. I specified 11-12mm, and it measures 14.5!
I already paid him and I'm pretty sure he would not be willing to make any changes at this point. I will have to look at this ridiculous ring and continue to tell my husband I love it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely go back to the jeweler and tell him it is larger than you agreed to and you are very unhappy. Find out if they can remove the outer halo. I am not optimistic about that idea, but I would not hesitate to try whatever is necessary to get it to where you like it better. Maybe you can pay extra but not the full amount for a redo. The inner halo is really wide enough that it would have made a great increase in the size. I am really sorry and I would not be happy with that width, either, especially for an engagement ring. It is beautiful and not gaudy at all, but like others, I see it more as a dressy, cocktail style ring for the right hand.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
cctiny said:
I just recently discovered PS, and I'm obsessed! Probably because I'm having so many doubts about my ring I've been on this site nonstop for the last week. I really appreciate all the responses. I guess I will have to live with yet another ring that falls short of my "dream". My poor husband, he really wanted me to love my engagement ring after being married for 8 years and getting a ring that I never loved...which was a poorly executed single halo.

I had seen double halos that I thought were tasteful, hence my decision. But I guess everyone thinks its not so great for an e-ring. I have no choice now. Not unless I win the lottery and secretly have it re-done for the 4th time! :)

Uh oh, as much as I love PS, I think you may want to take a break from the site for a little while and give yourself a chance to enjoy your new ring. I'm afraid that you're possibly taking more time to compare it to pics of other rings, etc vs spending that time focusing on how gorgeous your ring looks on YOUR hand in different situations (under different lighting, in the mirror, sitting on the dresser, in direct sunlight, in indirect sunlight, etc etc).

I don't think it's gaudy and I'm sure it gives off a dazzling sparkle, so please enjoy it by focusing on the things that you love about it - the more fun you have with it, the more fun you'll have with it ;)).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS. I would not have the 'too bad, so sad' attitude toward my ring. I would go back and discuss this with the jeweler. Proportion is everything in terms of a setting and maybe two thin halos would have worked but the twin halos look almost as wide as the stone itself. There is not enough tilt to the halos either which give it a flat, large look. He might say he made what you wanted and you could say he should have had the expertise to know whether it would look good so you both might be at fault. That's all water under the bridge now and hopefully he will want you to be happy and will work with you to that end.

I am sorry that you are disappointed. The ring does look to be well made so I'm guessing he certainly has the skill to pare it down a bit so that you can be happy and proud of your ering!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, the workmanship is fantastic so your jeweler seems great! I can't see the side of the ring but I think if they reworked it and removed the outer halo ... it will be GORGEOUS!!! If you are ready for a remake, a 3 stone may work too.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Agree with DS option of talking to the jeweller as it seems like they have made the ring that is not with your specs.

Good luck with that.
dust
hugs

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cctiny|1392687670|3617473 said:
Now I just feel sick to my stomach. Thanks everyone for your honest opinion. I did ask.

I will try to wear it a little longer to see if it will grow on me. It was a custom made ring by an independent jeweler. He didn't do the work himself. We discussed the dimensions...but it turned out a lot bigger. I specified 11-12mm, and it measures 14.5!
I already paid him and I'm pretty sure he would not be willing to make any changes at this point. I will have to look at this ridiculous ring and continue to tell my husband I love it.

Cctiny, that's a decent difference! I agree that speaking with the jeweler is definitely worth a try - You have a valid argument, the ring wasn't made correctly and not what you expected.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks distinctive...not unlike Scarlett Johansson's engagement ring. Big and blingy with lots of coverage. I think you're staring at it too much possibly. Wear it for awhile and see...but if you still dislike it then consider resetting it. Not worth wasting a pretty diamond like that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. I don't think you are wrong. That's a massive and cocktail ring-like setting. And I don't think it is attractive or wearable.

I would feel the same way.

Did you order an existing setting of theirs? Or did you take pictures in and ask him to do his best? And if you took pictures in then: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/[/URL]
I think that since it is so much larger than you ordered you should take it back and have them re-make it.

There is no WAY on earth I would spend hundreds on a ring that isn't exactly as I specified. AND you have a legitimate re-work complaint.

What you had with the jeweler was a contract. The contract specified (even if it was verbal, but I DO hope that even if you used a non-PS jeweler you did at least get everything in writing) that the ring would have certain dimensions. They breached that. SIGNIFICANTLY. And that means that the contract is void. So either you get a refund, or they re-work it. Most jewelers will want to re-work at least once. And so I would march right back in there and tell them that the ring does NOT meet the specifications that you agreed to, and that they have to make it right. They will either re-do it, or re-fund you. If they re-do it, you get EVERYTHING IN WRITING-- all the dimensions, everything. And then you ALSO get in writing that if the ring does NOT meet your specifications you get a FULL refund immediately.

Now, you said that the jeweler did not use an in house bench. This is another mistake you made because of your inexperience. IF the jeweler tries to get out of re-working your ring by saying that it is not HIS fault, because the bench he worked with didn't follow his instructions-- that's PURE BS. The outside bench is his sub-contractor, and HE is liable TO YOU regardless of who made the mistake. DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT.

Okay?

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually quite love it, but I've been into art deco dinner rings lately. That being said, if you think you hate it, you probably hate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT advice, Gypsy! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results