shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help in finding lil sis'' e-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
So my lil sis' bf FINALLY formally asked for my help in picking out my lil sister's e-ring! proposal is next month...
The only info he gave me is that his budget is $3-4K. He's clueless on the rest.

SOOO i'd LOVE your help in finding a great stone!
My sister's only guidelines are that she wants a rb and a 4-prong setting.

She's totally not into jewelry at all, so I think most of the budget should go towards a gorgeous stone since she probably will never upgrade.
Though I think a platinum setting will probably be best since it'll also probably never be upgraded.

I really appreciate any help & guidance!
Looking forward to seeing the beautiful stones that you all always manage to find!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here's a stone if your sis isn't too color sensitive. Lots of Js and lower on PS and they can be gorgeous. 1ct J SI1. This leaves $500 for a simple white gold setting.

Here's another. 0.838ct I VS1

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice work ladies!!!

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
woo those look lovely! thank you.

so he can squeeze a little more into the budget; up to $5k.
i''m thinking maybe put the extra toward a nicer &/or custom setting? or just go bigger/better stone?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
bigger stone
31.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Custom might be time constraint though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 4:05:29 AM
Author: alloamie

i''m thinking maybe put the extra toward a nicer &/or custom setting? or just go bigger/better stone?
I would put the extra into the diamond.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:05:29 AM

i'm thinking maybe put the extra toward a nicer &/or custom setting? or just go bigger/better stone?

i'm with the stone camp too.. would this stone and this setting or this setting make a good combo for a $5k ring?

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
if he were to put the stone in a simple WG setting (cheapest one available), then have my sister pick her own setting later-on, do vendors allow an exchange if they know he will be back for the stone''s permanent setting?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she''s not much of a jewellery person then I''d spend less than the entire $5K budget, unless you think that she''d turn into a jewellery person once she got the ring. There were some great choices for up to $4K posted!

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
OK so i''ve been doing some research today and I think I may try to push the 1ct J-SI1 from GOG: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5511/
(thanks, swingirl!)

I tried to find some pics of J color stones in settings, but am having trouble. Does anyone have pics of their e-ring with a j diamond?

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:18:23 PM
OK so i''ve been doing some research today and I think I may try to push the 1ct J-SI1 from GOG: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5511/
(thanks, swingirl!)

I tried to find some pics of J color stones in settings, but am having trouble. Does anyone have pics of their e-ring with a j diamond?

Excellent choice! I have a J SI1 from GOG and I absolutely LOVE it!!!
30.gif

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the links, Deelight! The J''s look great to me!!

I actually called GOG earlier today to ask them about the 1ct, J.
He didn''t recommend that diamond at ALL and told me to definitely go for the .8 ct with higher color grade rather than the J-color...
He said it''s obviously a personal thing, but to him, J''s are crossing the line for him on showing color.

I''ve never seen a J-color stone IRL, so it''s really hard for me to gauge anything now!

How does it work if I want to see the stone before purchasing? I''m in Hawaii and my future bro-in-law is in san francisco. there''s no way we could go out to NY to see this stone!
Do you think GOG would be willing to ship the stone out? Or would I have to buy the rock & then return if I don''t like it?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would trust Jon or Sarah's judgement 110%, FI bought my rock sight unseen (with just a vid) and it turned out beautiful, the video I have to say is really good at showing what the diamond is like except I found mine looks better IRL then it did on the vid. Does he have another J he might think is better?

I think the only way to see it is to pay for it get it shipped out to you or an appraiser and then get it shipped back if you don't like it, I could be wrong though.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:10:42 PM
How does it work if I want to see the stone before purchasing? I'm in Hawaii and my future bro-in-law is in san francisco. there's no way we could go out to NY to see this stone!

Do you think GOG would be willing to ship the stone out? Or would I have to buy the rock & then return if I don't like it?
You have to buy the stone first and if you don't like it, return it. No vendor ships out their stones before you pay. But they are good about returns since they know people don't always like in person what they thought they liked from a photo.

Princess cuts do show a bit more color. I'd accept GOG's recommendation because they do this all the time and probably know when a bride isn't picking out the stone herself it's better to go more towards white than yellow.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links, Deelight! The J''s look great to me!!

He didn''t recommend that diamond at ALL and told me to definitely go for the .8 ct with higher color grade rather than the J-color...
He said it''s obviously a personal thing, but to him, J''s are crossing the line for him on showing color.

I''ve never seen a J-color stone IRL, so it''s really hard for me to gauge anything now!

How does it work if I want to see the stone before purchasing? I''m in Hawaii and my future bro-in-law is in san francisco. there''s no way we could go out to NY to see this stone!
Do you think GOG would be willing to ship the stone out? Or would I have to buy the rock & then return if I don''t like it?

GOG will ship the stone to an independant appraiser. However, I think if shes not a jewlery person, I''d stick with the J in color. I think this mostly because its a nice sweet spot. If its cut well, it will still face up white. Check out the links above, you''d never know that it wasnt a higher color grade! Have jonathan compare a I color stone and the J color stone face up for you in a video and let you decide for yourself.
Here is another one to consider
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982360.htm

in either this or this or this or this or this or this

hope this helps! i bought my stone from GOG and i love it! mine is I in color and it doesnt show a hint of yellow, and i think i could go with a J!

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the links, Deelight! The J's look great to me!!

He didn't recommend that diamond at ALL and told me to definitely go for the .8 ct with higher color grade rather than the J-color...

He said it's obviously a personal thing, but to him, J's are crossing the line for him on showing color.

I've never seen a J-color stone IRL, so it's really hard for me to gauge anything now!

How does it work if I want to see the stone before purchasing? I'm in Hawaii and my future bro-in-law is in san francisco. there's no way we could go out to NY to see this stone!

Do you think GOG would be willing to ship the stone out? Or would I have to buy the rock & then return if I don't like it?
Hey there!
I bought my stone at GOG and they were absolutely FANTASTIC to work with. They will ship the stone to an appraiser for you to see it. I would also agree with GOG and go with higher color smaller stone. Even if she is not a jewelry girl she might really appreciate a higher color stone. But, there are some really beautiful J stones on here... also the video idea is perfect!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Whoa, did Jon say that? From what I''ve heard on this board and his videos, he''s usually a big proponent of Js! A few of his videos on color show how difficult it is to tell the difference between J and higher colors when face up, even on a gray background.

Am I going crazy, or is the "he" you''re referring to not Jon from GOG (goes by "Rhino" on these boards)?

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
i'm pretty sure it wasn't jon. i didn't catch the person's name though.
i spoke with jon years ago when i bought my setting from GOG. wasn't the same person i spoke with today.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 10:33:44 PM
Author: swingirl

You have to buy the stone first and if you don''t like it, return it. No vendor ships out their stones before you pay. But they are good about returns since they know people don''t always like in person what they thought they liked from a photo.

Princess cuts do show a bit more color. I''d accept GOG''s recommendation because they do this all the time and probably know when a bride isn''t picking out the stone herself it''s better to go more towards white than yellow.
Ditto

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
wanted to post some comparison pics from GOG:

gogcomp2a.png

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
and another

gogcomp1a.png

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the J is beautiful! I''d go with that one and get a little bit more size. I know many women who like to say, I have a carat. When people ask me how many carats mine is I kinda look at it funny and say...its not one! LOL! Not that I mind, my stone is beautiful, but I wish I could say it was a carat!

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
woo i've added that .92 ct to the running! thanks, diamondseeker!
i really like the 1ct J - and am trying to push that one!
my mom called earlier when I sent her some of the links and she told me that it may not be "appropriate" for someone as young as my sister (25) to wear a 1 ct diamond! HAHA i would LOVE to have a 1 ct stone, no matter what age i am! she also thought the 1 ct may not be practical since my lil sis is just about to graduate from nursing school...but i'm still going to push the 1 ct to my sister's bf!

quick question that may show how much of a newbie i am:
that stone has strong flouresence. is this the same as when stats state "strong blue"? is there a difference?

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
i am a nurse and i feel it is very appropriate for her to have a 1 carat diamond. mine is close to a carat and is set as low as possible. sometimes i have trouble getting gloves on and off, but you get used to it. i''m glad my husband picked out a plain setting though. if i were to have diamonds or side stones, i would think i would get into trouble. the soap and lotion get caked into the head and i have to clean my ring everyday. i never take my rings off at work to wash my hands, there just isn''t time, and god forbid, i would forget to put them back on. my husband would kill me. i do take the time to clean them everyday though. i would get her a solitaire setting to see how it goes. if she doesn''t plan on wearing it to work, then anything goes. just my 2 cents.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 6:53:20 PM
Author: pixley
Date: 3/5/2009 6:46:56 PM

Author: diamondseeker2006

Here''s my pick:

.92 H VS2 H&A, almost a carat, nice color and clarity for an e-ring!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5234/

Oooooo-la-la!
30.gif
Me likey diamondseeker''s choice.

I like that one as well it is a lovely balance of colour and clarity and when set you would be hard pressed picking the size difference between this and a 1ct diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results