shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a ROCK! More lost than a model in a supermarket

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to reach out to this community for some honesty in the jewelry business....for a change. I've been to every store and website I could find over the last 3 months with almost no luck. I'm sure I've met some honorable people, but the majority seem to just tell me what I want to hear and force me into something I don't want. I was hoping to get some honest direction from all you good people :)

This is basically where I'm at:

I had a band and halo custom made at robbin brothers. This was for a 2 ct Pear Diamond that I bought off James Allen. (https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/2.04-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-960384)

Great diamond with the exception of a very strong bow tie effect. Yesterday, I had robbin brothers remove the center diamond and I mailed it back to James Allen. I will receive 100% refund. Now I need a new one.

My budget is up to 20k but would like to stay around 17k if possible. Looking for something around 2ct that doesn't have such a prominent bow tie. Can you guys help me out? I can't seem to find this diamond anywhere. Do I need to change my expectations?

Thank you all in advance for your help
-Adam

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. So many problems.

Are you locked into the setting?

Because pears aren't anything like rounds. 2 carat pears dramatically fluctuate in terms of measurements. So unlike a round where a 2 carat stone is 8mm. And a setting for that is automatically going fit any 8mm stone. Pears do not have a standard dimension by carat weight.

So if you are locked into the setting. Then we have to get you a two carat pear with the same dimensions as the last one. And that's not going to be easy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew, if you can't return the setting, then you should have kept that diamond. Some pears are better than others, but most have some bow tie.

Just for future reference and for lurkers reading, never have a setting made until you have decided on a definite diamond. We can help you, but it still may end up that the diamond you chose is the best available with those exact measurements.

Please post a picture of the setting.

Just out of curiosity, did she express that she wanted a pear cut diamond most of all?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1471657866|4067896 said:
Whew, if you can't return the setting, then you should have kept that diamond. Some pears are better than others, but most have some bow tie.

Just for future reference and for lurkers reading, never have a setting made until you have decided on a definite diamond. We can help you, but it still may end up that the diamond you chose is the best available with those exact measurements.

Please post a picture of the setting.

Just out of curiosity, did she express that she wanted a pear cut diamond most of all?

Very good point.

Are you sure the lady wants a pear?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I'd ask that before we went any further. We need to back track and start the whole thing over. I think the stone he had was not bad compared to a lot of the pears I am seeing. Plus, it has the advantage to fitting the setting...that is, if she wants a pear in the first place.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, depending on how much that setting cost (Custom pave setting through Robbin Brothers? Oh boy) if he really didn't like the stone and/or fiance doesn't love pears then it might be best to save that thing for a birthday and have a custom cut gemstone (garnet or something) and present it to her as a RHR.

20k budget.

More questions: Does she have a pinterest account? If so please link us.

And are you sure she wants a halo setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Previous stone is 11.12 x 7.40 because it was SUPER shallow. So I'm not surprised at all it had the mother of all bowties. Many shallow pears and ovals show stronger bowties than ones that are cut slightly deeper.

But that means it's BIGGER than a regular 2 carat. So in order to find a matching size you will need a larger stone than a 2 carat.

This one would fit that setting: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P216-360871921 And its a nice stone but it is over budget.

To any lurkers. Please do not buy fancy stones without our help. Please.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My exact thought, save the setting and have a colored stone cut for an anniversary or something unless she absolutely wants a pear above all else.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone -- Wow! Thank you for the responses. Signed on to check and couldn't believe how many truly concerned responses. I'll try and answer everything quickly:

She basically picked out the band before hand. As well as the shape (Pear). I made some tweaks to the band to add some element of suprise as well as going from a 1.5 carrat to a 2. I talked with Robbin Brothers and they said they will rework the halo to work with the new diamond as long as it's close enough with the original (approx 1.5 ratio).

These are the parameters I've been searching under but am open to anything:

Pear shape
1.8-2.2 ct.
H and above
SI2 and above

An in the attached I've been following the Class A "Ideal Cut" measurments.

I've also attached pictures of the band and halo for reference. Also one where Robbin Borthers layed one of their diamond in the setting that they're trying to sell me. A 2.06ct SI2 G for 20k.

Thank you again for all the help. I'm really stuck on this and I'm trying everything I can to get her the perfect ring. So again, thank you.

-Adam

_5378.jpeg

_5380.jpeg

_5381.jpeg

_5379.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do NOT follow, those measurements. Sheesh, no wonder you are fumbling around in the dark. You really have no clue what you are doing.

There is no "rework" of a pave halo to fit a different sized stone! That is just wrong. Ask them what they mean and if they say anything other than: we'll laser off the current halo, make a new one that fits the new stone and then laser weld it back onto the shank, then RUN!

You do NOT buy fancies by the numbers. Anyone's numbers. You only buy fancies based on performace and faceting. Oh boy.

Find out from Shane Co what they mean by re-work. Cause I have a strong suspicion (based on having been to Shane Co before and talking to their staff) th they mean to just stick some extra metal or put an airline in there, and neither of those is okay.

You are going to need a new halo. Where are you located??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pears that perform well are rare as hen's teeth. I found only one in your budget and spec range. And that's after looking at all of three vendor's stones.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/2.03-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1105455 This is what a well cut pear looks like. It sparkles and the facets reflect the light, and look, no bowtie.

You will probably have to pay for them to redo the halo properly. Do it. And do not accept anything less.

Buy that stone. Get a new halo make for it and go from there.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy! Thank you!!!! I knew I was being misled. I hate buying something so expensive with almost no knowledge or widsom. Thank you for yours. I will do exactly as you said. My only question is regarding the girdle. It says medium to extremly thick. From what I've read doesnt that make the diamond look significanlty smaller because the weight is in the wrong place? Also the table seems on the small size. I've asked my future fiance in the past what matters to her most, and size seemed pretty important. Do you think this will look more like a 1.5ct?

Thank you again. And again!
Adam

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I live in Pasadena California.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Small table and high crown are good things tbey mean more fire in terms of performance.
Girdle is fine. There is no set size.on pears. The halo will make it look huge.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Got it. Thanks Gypsy... My last question, everything I've been told is that the symmetry is very important to performance. However the diamond you recommend is only "Good". The diamond they showed to me was "Excellent". So does that not matter as much as I've been told?

Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the table has zero to do with the size appearance of the diamond. You look at the diameter measurements only, not weight and not table size.

That is a really beautiful pear that Gypsy found, and I concur with her that pears are rarely well cut. If more people understood that, they probably wouldn't choose one for an engagement ring!

If you buy this one (which is a very good idea), you will be telling Robbins Brothers that you need a whole new ring made to fit this diamond. They cannot rework the halo on this one, as Gypsy said. Finding a great diamond to exactly fit that setting is basically impossible. As Gypsy said, we might look through 100 stones and only find a couple worth buying. I wish you had come here before buying anything , because we could have likely steered you to a higher quality setting as well. Be sure you get insurance on this ring effective the day you pick it up, because one whack with those three little prongs could definitely mean loss or damage to your diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Facet symmetry is not the.same as optical symmetry. What GIA lists is facet symmetry. For some shapes (step cuts) that symmetry is very important. For ovals, pears, and marquise that is not the case. It ia very confusing, I know. But no, its not that important for a pear.

BTW they should do 5 prongs on a pear this size.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy and Diamond Seeker. I'm going to purchase the diamond that you suggested. It looks beautiful! I also told Robbin Brothers that I'll be making some changes. They did their best to talk me out of it but I held strong haha. I told them I'll be keeping the band but replacing the halo. They said they will have to still charge me full price for the halo but that's fair. That was my mistake for not coming to you guys sooner. Do you recommend any particular halos?

Thanks,
Adam

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, and be sure that stone is set down right at the halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. David Klass is in LA. Give him a call. Affordable and nice quality.

He'll make you a nice halo in platinum.

Also, what is her favorite color? You can make that other setting into a halo pendant with David. That would be a great holiday gift.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI you want 5 prongs on your diamond. Like this:

_5388.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are forcing you to keep the old pear halo setting, you could ask if they would buy it back, since I assume they still have that pear, list the setting only for sale in preloved on loupetroop or DiamondBistro or keep it and get a coloured stone specifically cut to fit into it for an anniversary or something. Glad you went with Gypsy's choice, she is seriously the best when it comes to fancy cuts!!!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent advise Gypsy!! I must say that Gypsys confidence toward when I was looking at a pear hands down sealed the deal and made me 100% sure that my pear would be fabulous.... And it is!!!! You can't go wrong.

I'm sorry that your already made halo is going to cost you money but you could definitely set it with something else (and sell it as a whole if you don't want another pear halo....)

I also wanted to chime in as my pear has very similar dimensions to yours and I had mine set in a halo with half pointers in platinum. If you're unsure about melee size then I feel half pointers are perfect to boost the pear but not overwhelm it. It's very dainty.

I look forward to seeing how your ring progresses!! Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
laurenk|1471764987|4068288 said:
Excellent advise Gypsy!! I must say that Gypsys confidence toward when I was looking at a pear hands down sealed the deal and made me 100% sure that my pear would be fabulous.... And it is!!!! You can't go wrong.

I'm sorry that your already made halo is going to cost you money but you could definitely set it with something else (and sell it as a whole if you don't want another pear halo....)

I also wanted to chime in as my pear has very similar dimensions to yours and I had mine set in a halo with half pointers in platinum. If you're unsure about melee size then I feel half pointers are perfect to boost the pear but not overwhelm it. It's very dainty.

I look forward to seeing how your ring progresses!! Good luck!

Aww, what a lovely thing to say. I still plan to steal that puppy away from you one day, though. :Up_to_something:

Lost Groom: lauren has a glorious old cut pear in the most perfect single cut (to match the old cut pear) halo, so you may want to look hers up, especially as the dimensions on her pear are very similar to the one above though hers is a tiny bit (.2mm) chubbier. Hers is 10.23 x 7.39

Thank you both Lauren and arkeib!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:)

Do not make the shank too thin. Use platinum. And if you need someone to review.the CADs just post them. Shank should be 2mm.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy and everyone,

Moving along nicely on this engagement ring. Took your advice, bought the James Allen rock, went down to David Klass (great guy and Amy is amazing!) and here is their CAD. Any suggestions? My fiance to be likes a more simple style. She also liked rings where the diamond didn't sit too high. I explained this to David so he tried to make that work. Please give any feedback, nothing set in stone yet (no pun intended.)

Below is what was mentioned in the CAD email from David.The band I provided (previously purchased from Robbin Brothers) and they are adding the halo.

"Here is a structural drawing of a new head design sunk a bit further down in your shank. There will be diamonds all around the halo and on the three struts. Let me know if I have started in the right direction?"

Thanks!
Adam

34727.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. That needs work. I'll comment on this later tonight.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Adam, so your pear dimensions are almost identical to my pear. I'm not too good at CADs but wondered what size diamonds you plan to use in the halo?

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy, I look forward to it!

Lauren, I'm not sure exactly... Amy at the jewelry store just said they would be flush together and not show any metal. Any suggestions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results