shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a ROCK! More lost than a model in a supermarket

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. The shanks are already made, right? You are just having him add a halo on top of existing shanks.

Also that halo is way, way, ,way too thick. I mean, just overpowering. What is the melee size on that?

I thought your lady wanted a nice delicate halo? That aint it. The halo should be no more than 1.3mm thick. Also the halo should be tilted outward 20 degrees (he'll know what that means).

As for the way the head is connecting to the shank. Yeah. Ask David to put a small donut in there between the two shanks and lower the head into it. And to change the struts from convex to concave like the below (no pave on the donut).

halo_profile.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way. How do you like the new pear? Is it brighter and nicer than the last?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Lost_Groom_2B|1473888788|4076590 said:
Thanks Gypsy, I look forward to it!

Lauren, I'm not sure exactly... Amy at the jewelry store just said they would be flush together and not show any metal. Any suggestions?

Ok Gypsy is fab with CAD help. I'll attach my pear so you can what your halo would look like if using half pointers. I feel
this is the perfect delicate accent to my pear, and honestly wouldn't want bigger, but that's a personal choice.

Also I have no idea why my pictures are sideways, let me know if you'd like any more.

_5847.jpeg

_5848.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
laurenk|1473926803|4076832 said:
Lost_Groom_2B|1473888788|4076590 said:
Thanks Gypsy, I look forward to it!

Lauren, I'm not sure exactly... Amy at the jewelry store just said they would be flush together and not show any metal. Any suggestions?

Ok Gypsy is fab with CAD help. I'll attach my pear so you can what your halo would look like if using half pointers. I feel
this is the perfect delicate accent to my pear, and honestly wouldn't want bigger, but that's a personal choice.

Also I have no idea why my pictures are sideways, let me know if you'd like any more.

I agree. But not every bench can do 1/2 pointers well, unfortunately. As long as it is under a full point (3/4 for example) I think it will be fine. But over a point is WAY too big.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, your advice is so amazing. What an asset you are to this board! I can't even imagine how many rings you have made the best they could possibly be by your expertise. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in here to help people!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1473974946|4077070 said:
Gypsy, your advice is so amazing. What an asset you are to this board! I can't even imagine how many rings you have made the best they could possibly be by your expertise. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in here to help people!

Thank you luv2sparkle! =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy gave you great comments on the changes needed on the CADs. I would just add that I would maybe skip pave on the struts and doughnut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1473977033|4077089 said:
Gypsy gave you great comments on the changes needed on the CADs. I would just add that I would maybe skip pave on the struts and doughnut.

I should have said that! No pave on struts and donut.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
I'll pass these instruction on. THANK YOU!

That's correct, the shank I know she already likes so we're keeping that. And since Robbin Brothers botched the halo and pretty much everything else, we're cutting off their halo and turning that into a birthstone necklace (as was creatively suggested here :clap: )
Attached is that emerald if you're curious.

I'll see what they come back with and let ya'll know. THANK YOU AGAIN GYPSY!

-Adam

aqua_2_.jpg

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Oh and Gypsy, the new stone looks AMAZING! I can't wait to show everyone the final results :)

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about compressing the two shanks when they connect at the top so they pass through each other instead of over? I was thinking this may look better versus crossing over/under each other. It almost looks bent from certain angles. Also I'd imagine this would lower the setting some and help that issue as well? I attached a picture with some sloppy edits to try and explain this concept further. I guessed that the shank height is currently 1 mm when crossing but the point is it would lower whatever it is in half. I'd imagine the jeweler could do this?

shank_compress_example.jpg

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
I noticed in your CADs that there are only 3 prongs. Gypsy had previously mentioned having 5 prongs for a pear of your dimensions. You may want to check to see what adding another 2 prongs would look like.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thinking the exact same thing.. lucky us here!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lost_Groom_2B|1473984525|4077167 said:
What do you guys think about compressing the two shanks when they connect at the top so they pass through each other instead of over? I was thinking this may look better versus crossing over/under each other. It almost looks bent from certain angles. Also I'd imagine this would lower the setting some and help that issue as well? I attached a picture with some sloppy edits to try and explain this concept further. I guessed that the shank height is currently 1 mm when crossing but the point is it would lower whatever it is in half. I'd imagine the jeweler could do this?

Ask for a CAD of this and we'll see what it looks like.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lost_Groom_2B|1473982555|4077157 said:
Oh and Gypsy, the new stone looks AMAZING! I can't wait to show everyone the final results :)

Yay!!!!!'

You need 5 prongs on that stone, too. ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tekate|1474052308|4077443 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.. lucky us here!

Thank you both. :oops:

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I received the revised CAD today. What do you guys think?

_38318.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MUCH better. 2 changes:

1. I would have him angle the halo 20%.
2. I would do 5 prongs on the center.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy... He says that the halo is angles 20 degrees but doesn't show very well on that CAD. I'll let him know about the 5 prongs and that should be that! :)

Thank you again for everything. Can't wait to see and show you how it comes out.

Forever grateful,
Adam

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait either!!

So happy for you!

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Regarding the prongs, below is David's response:

"The stone has two prongs on the top sides and three on the tip. Do you want small claws?"

What do you think?

Thank you,
Adam

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Lost_Groom_2B|1474580116|4079687 said:
Hi Gypsy,

Regarding the prongs, below is David's response:

"The stone has two prongs on the top sides and three on the tip. Do you want small claws?"

What do you think?

Thank you,
Adam

I don't want to speak for her, but I think Gypsy means another set should be added between the widest part of the pear and the tip, as in this picture, marked in red. Yes, they will look nicer if they are small claws or double claws.

pear_halo.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Victor set my pear with three claws. I do agree that 5 is going to be more secure. I have a claw on the tip, the same type of claw as the other two, not a big prong as I don't like the look. Claws are dainty and so pretty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
"delicate claw prongs" exactly in the orientation above.

Lost_Groom_2B

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I received pictures from the jeweler of the finished ring. I think its looks great but I obviously have an untrained eye. What do you all think? There is still time for changes! The one aspect that bothers me are the top prongs aren't angled symmetrically. Is that common? Is there anything I can do about it?

Also, here is what the jeweler mentioned about the ring:
"The ring is now solid 14k white gold weighing 3.1 grams, and we added .20cts of G color, VS clarity round brilliant diamonds. The setter got the tip of your pear stone protected by the halo so you do not really need another prong there. If you want a fifth added for the look you can, but it looks nice with less metal."

newhead5.jpg

newhead7.jpg

newhead8.jpg

newhead10.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Overall spectacular!! Well done to you!! I also see the top right prong is at a different angle to the left, but maybe I can't see your picture clearly.

The prongs also look just a tiny but large- again it may just be the pic and not a true reflection

I adore the double band!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask him to make sure the two sides of the ring are mirror images of each other.

Other than that, it looks fabulous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results