shape
carat
color
clarity

I Like Big Diamonds and I Cannot Lie - $3000 Budget

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Questions while the clock is ticking (diamond from James Allen on hold for 40 more hours)

1. Any issues with this stone? Protect the points and I'm good to go? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404

2. What James Allen setting would YOU put it in? Bonus points if it's not a custom creation. And budget can be flexible for setting. Bf is going to buy me the stone and I'm going to buy the setting. But I certainly wouldn't mind if you don't pick the most expensive one!

3. Anyone know anything about insurance? Should I insure this ring? Right when I get it?

Thanks!!!!!!

I might do this one, with the condition they make the prongs claw-shaped - https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

Or this one gives a lot of finger presence with it's split shank - https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-band-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-50003

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
PS - I am wondering if Blue Nile might be able to access this stone? I like some of their settings better, as they often do a V prong.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - I am wondering if Blue Nile might be able to access this stone? I like some of their settings better, as they often do a V prong.
I doubt it. I actually much prefer how JA sets their stones, especially in halos. OP, I would definitely get a halo. The one I posted previously is still my top contender. I really like halo only, plain shank. It will give you a great presence on the finger. I get that it will be non-returnable and yoga can be scary, but $600 for a halo setting is pretty good! Worst case, you don’t love it and wear it for a couple of years, it would come out to something like 50 cents a day, that doesn’t seem terrible ;-)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the marquise you're considering and agree with @SimoneDi about the halo! For the price, it's a beautiful setting and will give you even greater finger coverage and widen the marquise slightly which will be even more appealing/flattering on the finger than just a solitaire. You could always change the setting down the line.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love:I love the shape of this marquise and love the idea of the simple halo with a plain shank!!! It will be beautiful!!!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one appears to very similar to what was already picked but it shouldn’t be a custom setting-best price until you decide to upgrade setting
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301

I really do like the idea of a split shank as it will give more finger coverage and widen the overall look to balance the length, I believe this has been suggested but it looks like it won’t count as a custom
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17462

This one says additional fees may apply to fancy shapes so it has me worried it will be custom for a marquis
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...etite-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-41066

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
I doubt it. I actually much prefer how JA sets their stones, especially in halos. OP, I would definitely get a halo. The one I posted previously is still my top contender. I really like halo only, plain shank. It will give you a great presence on the finger. I get that it will be non-returnable and yoga can be scary, but $600 for a halo setting is pretty good! Worst case, you don’t love it and wear it for a couple of years, it would come out to something like 50 cents a day, that doesn’t seem terrible ;-)

I’m really liking this idea! I also checked with James Allen, they said if I want to I can return the diamond and keep the setting. I could always put a coloured stone in there if I had to.

Also I think the plain shank is appealing for many reasons!

Love the marquise you're considering and agree with @SimoneDi about the halo! For the price, it's a beautiful setting and will give you even greater finger coverage and widen the marquise slightly which will be even more appealing/flattering on the finger than just a solitaire. You could always change the setting down the line.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the marquise! I agree, a halo would bulk it up nicely. These diamonds look so big when magnified but I bet if I saw it in person without a halo, I would find it small. The before/after pictures that have been posted of rings with halos are VERY convincing.

:love:I love the shape of this marquise and love the idea of the simple halo with a plain shank!!! It will be beautiful!!!

Ok thanks! I’m really liking this idea, too!

This one appears to very similar to what was already picked but it shouldn’t be a custom setting-best price until you decide to upgrade setting
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301

I really do like the idea of a split shank as it will give more finger coverage and widen the overall look to balance the length, I believe this has been suggested but it looks like it won’t count as a custom
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17462

This one says additional fees may apply to fancy shapes so it has me worried it will be custom for a marquis
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...etite-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-41066

Ok thanks! The Canadian site has slightly different availability so I wonder if that’s why some of the halo options appear to have to be custom for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson great find!! I knew that I had seen the marquise halo with plain shank somewhere!
@nmh I would definitely point the rep to this page and request that the setting be considered returnable since it is available on the site: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301
But honestly, I think that you will love it. It is a classic setting.

Yes, this setting with a pave wedding band...the mix of a pave wedding band with the plain metal shank provides texture and interest. You cant
beat the price on that setting!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Awesome! I’m pretty set on the halo with plain shank. I agree - would look pretty phenomenal with a diamond band! I will find out about it being returnable or not. (Just makes me a little less nervous). Thanks for finding the link! I really appreciate it!

Niel, I see that you have a Marquise. I hope you approve of the one I’ve selected?

Do you guys think I should ask James Allen to make the setting tips into claw prongs for this setting?

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh and white gold or platinum? I was thinking I would prefer platinum but there seems to be quite a price difference.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and white gold or platinum? I was thinking I would prefer platinum but there seems to be quite a price difference.
I would select the metal based on budget. Most would prefer platinum, but I am perfectly content with white gold as well. However, the difference seems to be around $200, so it is really not that bad. White gold needs to be rhodium plated ever so often. Platinum will need to be polished if you don’t like the look of patina. WG is lighter, PT is heavier.

Edit: @Niel OP is calling you for diamond approval - https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're making a great choice.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
beautiful stone, i think a halo will really be lovely! Personally, for the difference in price i'd jump on the platinum setting. WG has to be replated every so often (ive had my upgrade for just a little over 2 years and i REALLY need to have it replated. wish we'd gone with YG or platinum.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this setting with a pave wedding band...the mix of a pave wedding band with the plain metal shank provides texture and interest. You cant
beat the price on that setting!

@KKJohnson great find!! I knew that I had seen the marquise halo with plain shank somewhere!
@nmh I would definitely point the rep to this page and request that the setting be considered returnable since it is available on the site: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301
But honestly, I think that you will love it. It is a classic setting.
I only get round centers on these links and that word round in is the link name. I chatted with the rep and they said it does not come stock in marquise. Its custom, and I think the OP is trying to stick with a stock setting. It makes sense that marquise would be custom given the wide variation in Lenght and width at a given weight.

The rep said to click on settting and filer first for marquise to see what they offer.

Since the stone is on the long and skinny side (very pretty), maybe something that adds some width would be nice?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...d-embossed-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41049
17-37379
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-item-17840
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-shape-three-stone-engagement-ring-item-63036 {this comes up when you filter for marquise, so inquire before you buy}

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander the setting might be considered custom for fancy shapes, but I remember that when my SIL was considering a halo for a cushion through JA, the rep said that the setting will be returnable although it is made to order. In any case, I think that the halo setting is very well priced and will look great with the long marquise :)

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm also thinking long-term, a re-set into something like this would be very appealing to me. I don't have the funds right now but that's what anniversaries are for, right? :lol:

I thinking to maaaaaybe rock a super plain setting and save up for something fancy. Or do the halo. I need to sit with it a little longer. Thank goodness you guys recommended I put the diamond on hold! I'm not very good at snap decisions. marquise.jpg marquise 3.jpg
If anyone is looking for something to do with their time... feel free to post pics of stones in the James Allen halo setting that is the forerunner for my heart's desire :mrgreen2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nmg my vote is still for the JA halo plain shank setting, maybe the WG version since you might want to change it down the road. Considering the small price difference between the halo vs a stock solitaire, I think the halo will be totally worth it!
Here are two pics off google with halo and plain shank, I think that it looks very elegant!
05D4594A-5D5C-4C84-A31A-61DE257AD96C.jpeg 8009578C-B571-49C9-8848-44411EB2C56B.jpeg
Here is the approximate size difference of halo vs non-halo:
21E8B646-0E46-4203-9529-791A06DB516D.jpeg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nmg my vote is still for the JA halo plain shank setting, maybe the WG version since you might want to change it down the road. Considering the small price difference between the halo vs a stock solitaire, I think the halo will be totally worth it!
Here are two pics off google with halo and plain shank, I think that it looks very elegant!
05D4594A-5D5C-4C84-A31A-61DE257AD96C.jpeg 8009578C-B571-49C9-8848-44411EB2C56B.jpeg

that second pic, wow. Yep, that's what I would do.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few more pics. Please ignore the pave on the band, I was just trying to find some hand shots with a halo. I am totally obsessed!!

FF416672-CCD0-40F2-9974-79BDBA6E746E.jpeg 8CAC8839-4476-446D-ABDF-8EA970EB1280.jpeg 873C177E-BFCC-437A-A015-93B78076D21F.jpeg

Here is a similarly sized marquise (11.25 x 5.14)

93A6BCBC-31A7-4A4F-B2DA-D28C9F418299.jpeg

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium

Oh I like!!! I like very much! The visual really helps, thank you!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here are a few more pics. Please ignore the pave on the band, I was just trying to find some hand shots with a halo. I am totally obsessed!!

FF416672-CCD0-40F2-9974-79BDBA6E746E.jpeg 8CAC8839-4476-446D-ABDF-8EA970EB1280.jpeg 873C177E-BFCC-437A-A015-93B78076D21F.jpeg

Here is a similarly sized marquise (11.25 x 5.14)

93A6BCBC-31A7-4A4F-B2DA-D28C9F418299.jpeg

Omg no way! I think my heart just started doing jumping jacks! Or something! I can’t believe I could ever have a ring close to that in size! It looks massive! I’m in loooooove!!! Ok going to order tonight when Bf gets home and gives final approvals

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
:D Simone I should name my first born after you

I’m just ecstatic

Can’t wait to see the final product!!!

Oh, since it’s custom anyways I think I’ll ask for claw prongs. Yeah? And I thought think white gold because money.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:D Simone I should name my first born after you

I’m just ecstatic

Can’t wait to see the final product!!!

Oh, since it’s custom anyways I think I’ll ask for claw prongs. Yeah? And I thought think white gold because money.

Haha :lol-2: We are always just happy to help and love looking for a good deal!

I agree with the the WG selection and yes to claw prongs. I would personally ask for prongs at the tips as well just to be super extra protected. I would share this pic with them when asking about the prongs style and prong placement:

D213F189-AC7A-4A6D-9A1A-BF47DAB2883D.jpeg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha :lol-2: We are always just happy to help and love looking for a good deal!

I agree with the the WG selection and yes to claw prongs. I would personally ask for prongs at the tips as well just to be super extra protected. I would share this pic with them when asking about the prongs style and prong placement:

D213F189-AC7A-4A6D-9A1A-BF47DAB2883D.jpeg

OP - I think your ring's name should be Simone ;-)

Love this photo of the claws!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yes to the claw prongs! you wont regret it!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
OP - I think your ring's name should be Simone ;-)

Love this photo of the claws!

Omg yesssss!!!!! Is “Simone” french? I love it. Definitely will be my ring’s name. With a title. Like, “Lady Simone” hehehe.

Also thank you ladies for helping me with the claw prongs. I think that will look really incredible. Will James Allen really do so much customizing? I mean, obviously it won’t hurt to ask but I want to manage my expectations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results