carat
color
clarity

I Like Big Diamonds and I Cannot Lie - $3000 Budget

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi!!!

I have been lurking (and lusting! :love:) for a looooooong time! And I'm finally shopping! My boyfriend is a real gem (see what I did there?) and he's asked me to find the ring of my dreams! He's going to plan a surprise proposal but the ring he didn't want to spring on me (smart man!). Trouble is, I love so many different styles! But maybe you lovely folks can help me narrow it down?

Some general ideas are that I would like ***BIIIIIIG* and finger coverage to the max! I cannot lie - I love big bling, and this is going to be my finest piece of jewellery so I might as well go big (or go home! amiright???). So I love big. I love round. I love marquise. I love princess. And cushions. Wow, I really love everything... not crazy about pears or ovals. I don't like bow-tie (marquise is the exception). I don't like stones that look yellow. Or have black inclusions. I know you pricescopers have high standards so I trust I'm in good hands! I also don't like rings made up of a bunch of small diamonds.

I'm ok with while gold or yellow gold. Or even rose! The main thing is for the stone to be large. Anywhere else I would be embarrassed admitting that! And for it to be decent quality. So I guess a balance. Sorry for being all over the place! I'm just really excited! Not only have I found the man of my dreams, but I get a ring, too???? Too good! :bigsmile:

The only sticky point is my budget. $3000 USD - for everything (including shipping, setting, re-sizing... everything). Don't care about name brand or anything like that. Upgrade policy options might be cool but not necessary.

I'm a size 5. Anything else you need to know? And thank you in advance, from the bottom of my heart! Help me shop! My boyfriend doesn't like shopping so we have to spend his money for him :lol-2: YAAAAAY! He is such a sweetheart and has been saving since our third date, two years ago. I'm seriously such a lucky girl and would marry him even if he gave me an onion ring (lol) but since he WANTS to buy me a ring... who am I to stand in the way of such a romantic gesture? LOL. Ok sorry this is so long. Thanks!!!

TL;DR - would love a big bling diamond ring in white, yellow, or rose gold, size 5. Thanks! I will post some inspiration pics later. I usually prefer clean lines to filigree etc.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, you probably need to allow $500 for a plain prong gold setting (with shipping and insurance) or $650 ish if you want some shoulder diamonds.
If you don’t want yellowish, you’ll need to say around H or I, the J you like seems a little yellow. With I1 clarity, there will be visible to the eye inclusions.
For a better colour, cut and clarity you’ll be looking at around a .70 carat diamond .

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi, you probably need to allow $500 for a plain prong gold setting (with shipping and insurance) or $650 ish if you want some shoulder diamonds.
If you don’t want yellowish, you’ll need to say around H or I, the J you like seems a little yellow. With I1 clarity, there will be visible to the eye inclusions.
For a better colour, cut and clarity you’ll be looking at around a .70 carat diamond .

I’m ok with yellowish if it’s set in yellow gold. But you’re right... I think I’m looking at 0.70ct.

**deleted by moderator**.

Cool! I’ll go look, now!

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ct-k-vs2-august-vintage-european-cut-74580003

Also I find this intriguing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideas for maximizing finger coverage:
East-west marquise
Three stone
Halo
Pre-loved
Non-diamond (check out fashion jewelry and colored stone forums)

Happy hunting! :D

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
Reactions: nmg

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the marquise - as for the I1 clarity, based on the video I can't quite see what's the major cause for the I1? Also the videos are substantially magnified on screen versus real life size, so in person the inclusions (depending on type of inclusions) might not be as visible.

The GIA plot is not available in the cert, so I don't know what is the cause of the I1. You might want to have a chat with the JA agent to figure out why - there might be feathers close to the girdle etc that might cause potential issues (e.g. a right knock would crack the stone etc).

Also, marquise, pears and ovals face up larger than rounds so the marquise will probably satisfy your go big option! :)

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ideas for maximizing finger coverage:
East-west marquise
Three stone
Halo
Pre-loved
Non-diamond (check out fashion jewelry and colored stone forums)

Happy hunting! :D

Good tips!!! I like halos fine enough. I only like Marquise North / south. Three stone I am not leaning towards.

For this ring I do not want a colored stone, butgood idea!

Does it have to be a solitaire? A wide band will provide more coverage. How about something like this?
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-70ctw-edwardian-5-stone-old-european-cut-diamond-band

You should look at lower colors too because you may like their look. Not everyone likes icy white.
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/82ct-old-european-cut-diamond-art-deco-solitaire-gia-m-vs1

I don’t love the band but the solitaire is gorgeous! I wonder if I would find an M too yellow in the white gold setting :/

I like the marquise - as for the I1 clarity, based on the video I can't quite see what's the major cause for the I1? Also the videos are substantially magnified on screen versus real life size, so in person the inclusions (depending on type of inclusions) might not be as visible.

The GIA plot is not available in the cert, so I don't know what is the cause of the I1. You might want to have a chat with the JA agent to figure out why - there might be feathers close to the girdle etc that might cause potential issues (e.g. a right knock would crack the stone etc).

Also, marquise, pears and ovals face up larger than rounds so the marquise will probably satisfy your go big option! :)

Good idea! I will ask James Allen. I like the size of the Marquise!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations first and foremost! So happy for you that you can decide on what you want! I can hear your enthusiasm and energy! Well before we begin are you open to lower colored diamonds K, L ? Or are you colored sensitive and prefer a particular color? Do you like halo setting? Or a solitaire? Or 3 stone ring? I think showing us some pics of what you like would give us a direction. But wanted to give you an idea of what I saw online for diamonds:
Lower K color round ideal cut:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4639984
With this rose gold halo setting:
https://www.jamesallen.com/complete-ring/
AND under budget as James Allen has a 25% off setting sale!
You can also ask for the advantage pricing for PS members and see if JA will give you additional $ off.
-C4C

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
you are so cute!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!!!

I have been lurking (and lusting! :love:) for a looooooong time! And I'm finally shopping! My boyfriend is a real gem (see what I did there?) and he's asked me to find the ring of my dreams! He's going to plan a surprise proposal but the ring he didn't want to spring on me (smart man!). Trouble is, I love so many different styles! But maybe you lovely folks can help me narrow it down?

Some general ideas are that I would like ***BIIIIIIG* and finger coverage to the max! I cannot lie - I love big bling, and this is going to be my finest piece of jewellery so I might as well go big (or go home! amiright???). So I love big. I love round. I love marquise. I love princess. And cushions. Wow, I really love everything... not crazy about pears or ovals. I don't like bow-tie (marquise is the exception). I don't like stones that look yellow. Or have black inclusions. I know you pricescopers have high standards so I trust I'm in good hands! I also don't like rings made up of a bunch of small diamonds.

I'm ok with while gold or yellow gold. Or even rose! The main thing is for the stone to be large. Anywhere else I would be embarrassed admitting that! And for it to be decent quality. So I guess a balance. Sorry for being all over the place! I'm just really excited! Not only have I found the man of my dreams, but I get a ring, too???? Too good! :bigsmile:

The only sticky point is my budget. $3000 USD - for everything (including shipping, setting, re-sizing... everything). Don't care about name brand or anything like that. Upgrade policy options might be cool but not necessary.

I'm a size 5. Anything else you need to know? And thank you in advance, from the bottom of my heart! Help me shop! My boyfriend doesn't like shopping so we have to spend his money for him :lol-2: YAAAAAY! He is such a sweetheart and has been saving since our third date, two years ago. I'm seriously such a lucky girl and would marry him even if he gave me an onion ring (lol) but since he WANTS to buy me a ring... who am I to stand in the way of such a romantic gesture? LOL. Ok sorry this is so long. Thanks!!!

TL;DR - would love a big bling diamond ring in white, yellow, or rose gold, size 5. Thanks! I will post some inspiration pics later. I usually prefer clean lines to filigree etc.

Possibly the best thing you can do is decide to halo set, this makes a big visual difference. If you do this a .70 diamond or so can actually look like a good 2 carat ring size. If you don’t want to halo I have found at least one 1.15 carat diamond and a few that are close in size to that within your budget. I’ll post the links if you like but first, is s halo an option?

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think you should go with a vendor with a good upgrade policy. You are just happy to have a diamond right now, but the chance is very good that you will want bigger in the future.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about something preloved? You’d definitely get more for your money.

This caught my eye,

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...er/antique-emerald-cut-diamond-solitaire-ring

This is pretty,

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-02ctw-vintage-old-mine-cut-diamond-halo-ring

Good finger coverage,

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/90ct-vintage-round-brilliant-diamond-solitaire

Halo,

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/70ct-round-brilliant-leo-diamond-halo-solitaire

Also Diamonds by Lauren have several completed rings in your budget, this one is slightly over but is very blingy! Shows how adding a halo can increase the size.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...on-cut-gia-split-shank-double-halo-ring-r5090

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto loving the enthusiasm! :wavey: For that budget I’d say look in the warmer colour & lower clarity range and maybe think of halo or clusters to get the coverage. Pre-loved rings also a bargain hunters paradise! :read: There are many gemstones that look somewhat similar to diamond and could be a great option if coverage is absolutely your number one priority? Thinking of pale/white garnets or Spinel....:think:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone else has covered off the advice I’d give so I’ll just add, would there be an option of you chipping in towards your ring? I know it’s not remotely romantic (except I think it is cos you’re doing this as joint symbol of your commitment to each other) but it could help you achieve the size you’re after. Otherwise go preloved! I got a 7mm spread solitaire for $3400 by going preloved/vintage which I couldn’t manage otherwise.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this woman isn’t exactly the best at eBay
She lists the ctw of this at 1.13 but that’s actually just the side stones if you read the appraisal. She also told me she wouldn’t go below 4k but here we are at 3600. Might take some working on her but could maybe get her down.
They apprear from the photos an appraisals to be tycoon or some other modified emerald cut the center is 1ct
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142757072366

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Diamonds by Lauren double halo certainly has finger coverage!!! Wow! And, it only needs to be sized down one size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS * I notice I hadn’t a type I mean AGS not agl.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really great thread everyone, lots of excellent suggestions for the OP, I know she'll end up with something fantastic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results