shape
carat
color
clarity

I know I'm gonna shock many girls here but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stci

Ideal_Rock
How many American girls wear those ugly false nails? I can see tons here and It's so apparent, expensive and harmful for your true nails! I just don't understand!!!!

It's really an important market in USA but It's the only one country I can see so many women who use this type of nails! Could you explain the phenomenon for me please?

I know it's not easy to everyone to have beautiful natural nails but so many? I believe there are another reason but I can't find what.

Yes I know it's a little rude but I simply want to know why you wear acrylic or other material false nails.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Because my hands look horrible without them! My real nails are flat, thin and peel like crazy. Most people are shocked when they find out my nails are acrylic. I keep them short and round; they don't look fake. I spend very little on my hair, so it evens out money-wise.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
In an office with 14 women, no one wears them.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
How you start this thread sets people on the defensive.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I've never had them myself, but my sis gets them all the time. Her natural nails peel and tear (even before the fake nails) so it's the only way she can have nice nails. Also, they never chip. She does them herself so it doesn't cost very much. The first few times they didn't look great, but she's really good at it now.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I used to get them every now and then...I end up ripping them off at one point or another cause they just get annoying.

So anyways, I used to get them because I didn't like how my real nails looked. They would always peel and break and just look bad.

I started finding various ways to get my nails healthy and they're much better now so I don't get them anymore.

I think a lot of people really like the way they look or wear them because they don't like their real nails/can't grow them to their desired length on their own.

I can't think of any other answers someone would wear them beyond that?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1305258099|2920377 said:

And ???

I understand it's not easy to take care of our natural nails but when I look in France (for example), they never do acrylic or gel nails without plaque elongation. I never see a prothesist do that in USA. The result are spectacular! Perhaps it's mode or culture no?

Here are pics with elongated plaque vs normal plaque. See the difference...

The first one is elongated plaque and the second one is normal plaque.

french_manucure.jpg

french-manucure-2461404_2041.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stci|1305259145|2920396 said:

And ???

[/quote]

I don't do fake nails, so I can't address the main point of the thread (am reading it to hear people's reasons!) but I think the "and" is that it, a) hurts peoples feelings, and b) makes it more likely that you're going to get hostile responses.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like them either...they're just so fake looking! But to each her own, I suppose!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
stci|1305255659|2920350 said:
How many American girls wear those ugly false nails? I can see tons here and It's so apparent, expensive and harmful for your true nails! I just don't understand!!!!

Awesome intro to a new thread!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my wife don't!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And ???

I understand it's not easy to take care of our natural nails but when I look in France (for example), they never do acrylic or gel nails without plaque elongation. I never see a prothesist do that in USA. The result are spectacular! Perhaps it's mode or culture no?

I think both of those are pretty frightening actually - how on earth does one use her fingertips with nails like that? :-o

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what "plaque elongation" is, Stci, but the picture you posted looks like most of the "fake" nails I've seen in the U.S.

I don't wear fake nails currently, but I have worn them for special occasions. They looked just like the picture you posted.

I"m with Circe and others...the way you posed the question and the title you gave this thread are bound to set people off who wear fake nails. I know there's a language barrier, but I feel like we've been down this road before and that you should've figured it out by now. A bit of sensitivity on your part needs to be exercised if you really want to be accepted and liked here on PS.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I dont wear fake nails, but i've never seen any acrylics look like pic #2, and i'm in the US. the pink part is too short. dont they just attach the thing and glaze something over and cook it under a light? then paint the white part on? looks like one painted the white part too close to the fingers, that's all.

How do people do anything in those long nails?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread strikes me as funny because for the "trends you hate" thread, I was going to put I have always hated fake acrylic nails. But I knew I'd insult someone, since I see them all the time.

Mostly fake nails weird me out because I can't see how you'd be productive with them. But I'm old school and still wash dishes by hand, so no way I can even paint my nails and have them last!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305263485|2920443 said:
This thread strikes me as funny because for the "trends you hate" thread, I was going to put I have always hated fake acrylic nails. But I knew I'd insult someone, since I see them all the time.

Mostly fake nails weird me out because I can't see how you'd be productive with them. But I'm old school and still wash dishes by hand, so no way I can even paint my nails and have them last!

I'm old school, too, and still wash dishes by hand, and this winter I had a lot of trouble with my nails breaking and peeling. So I bought a pair of glamourous Platex gloves -- very retro. But they do the trick. I don't like long nails on me for comfort and hygiene purposes (I used to work in a medical setting and we were taught that long nails can spread infection.

I think some women look great with long nails -- good quality fakes or real. But I must admit I've never understood the trend toward long nails and French manicures. I always thought that French manicures were a more "Sporty" look that looks best with shorter nails. When the white part of the French manicure begins to be an inch long, that looks weird to me. Not sure where this trend came from.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear fake nails but what ever those elongated plaques and normal plaques are, they are terribly long and fake-looking so I am confused about what are "ugly fake nails" worn by American girls and what are those "plaques"?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Direct question always frustrate someone. It's there problem not mine.

Nobody is required to answer. I simply observe that American Nails are different from other places all over the world and... american nails are not beautiful. Simple as that. Just would like to know why.

If you don't support a subject, It's important to ignore it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
stci|1305267839|2920480 said:
Direct question always frustrate someone. It's there problem not mine.

Nobody is required to answer. I simply observe that American Nails are different from other places all over the world and... american nails are not beautiful. Simple as that. Just would like to know why.

If you don't support a subject, It's important to ignore it.

what is the difference between fake nails and these elongated plaques?

personally I don't like either...I prefer short natural nails. I also play the piano, so it is necessary.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are many "answers" to that question - it probably depends from individual to individual.

First, not all fake nails are obviously fake. Some are "normal" length (for example, they don't extend out more than about 1/4 of the length of the nail bed). One of my co-workers had gels that she kept fairly short, and it never occurred to me that they were fake. I just thought spent a lot of time keeping her nails groomed!

Some of it is a question of trends, which can vary among social groups. Years ago I had my nails professionally manicures all the time because it was working in an environment in which high-end grooming was the norm and was expected.

Some of it is a feeling of "I'm worth it, darn it," combined with the availability of relatively inexpensive professional manicures.

Some of it is cultural, and that's probably combined with the "I'm worth it" attitude.

And much of it is a question of personal choice. I personally don't care for the current "French manicure" trend. I think it looks kinda garish compared to the original "french" manicure, which was achieved by either scraping or using a white pencil on the underside of the nail. It was a lot more subtle and natural looking than the modern french manicure. Of course it didn't last nearly as long either, but... c'est la vie, right?

You asked a question, I've tried to answer it based on my observations.

Now for my observation of your question.

It's my experience that Americans are less likely than some other groups to judge other people's choices, at least out loud, and more likely to adopt a "live and let live" attitude. In other words, they're less likely to say "why do so many people do this thing, it is ugly" and more likely to say "I think this is ugly" or "I don't care for this trend, why do so many people do it?" I know that's a gross generalization, but I think that Americans as a whole are more on the "accepting" end of the continuum than on the "judging" or "condemning" end. Personally I like that overall acceptance of other peoples' tastes and priorities, even if it does mean that I sometimes have to put up with nail decor etc choices that I don't particularly care for. :wink2:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

And ???

On this I will agree with you. I call it the nailbed - I prefer the look of a longer nailbed as well. This particularly bugs me on toes... I would rather see the thinnest white line than see the big white line that makes the toenails look like the nailbed is super short and you have a big old hunk of nail hanging off the edge.

I wouldn't extend the criticism of false nails to all false nails though. Personally I don't have them. nor have I ever had a french manicure.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I side with Stci. I think most fake nails just scream FAKE, even the ones she posted. And what's the point of that?

Although I did not inherit them, I was and am jaded I suppose by my mother's nails. They were the nails that everyone wants. They were strong as...nails (she could use them as screwdrivers- usually the screws gave and her nail didn't), and grew in as perfect, curved ovals. Because they were so perfect, most people thought they were fake and would ask her who did them. Ironic. I just know when it was time to cut them she would heave big sigh, and soak them forever, because they were too hard to cut. She had given up on rotary tools ages before: she burned them up.

For myself, I DO too much with my hands to be worried about nails and polish. I used to do the polish bit but got fed up with the maintenance all the time. I never tried fakes, as my mom was adamantly against them and indoctrinated me, having never acknowledged that fakes had improved somewhat from her youth when, apparently they tended to make your nails fall out. Anyway, I didn't inherit my mom's nails, and my nails are too thin to hold up well naturally, so why bother? Right now my left index nail is all torn up from my jewelry making and being accidentally brushed by files or poked by sharp tools. So I keep them clean and just long enough to show a tiny slice of white, and move on down the road.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Stci too, have never been fond of the look. Almost everyone had fake nails when I worked at Tiffany -- I always feared they were doing harm to their real nails underneath. Also the square shape at the ends looks unnatural to me. With the long ones like Sylvie's pics, I don't see how anyone can DO anything: button a button, type on a keyboard, cook, etc.

I used to do nail polish but when I got into Siberians, it was a total waste of time. Wrecked before it even dried! Whatever managed to dry was chipped in 40 seconds. Gave up.

--- Laurie

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think it makes women feel more feminine to have long nails. I would guess it's the same reason women get extensions in their hair. It also looks more polished and high maintenance, which appeals to some women and draws men in too. I don't have them because I can't afford the constant trips to the salon but I would if I could.

My hair grows like a week but my nails just never do. So, the simple reason is....because people find them pretty.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Hate them, but then I barely wear nailpolish and my nails are naturally strong/grow.

The worst for me was when DD had to go for a blood draw at 2 years old and the nurse had long fake nails. Are you kidding me?? Of course the draw took forever and test came out bad (turned out to be contaminated and had to do it again). Needless to say I demanded a different nurse for the 2nd draw and no issues.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Stci, I'm curious where you got the idea that "American women" have ugly fake nails? Because that's a pretty broad generalization, and I'm assuming you have a reason for coming to that conclusion.

I'm personally not a fan of fake nails, although I've seen some that were beautifully done. I use my hands too much, and also prefer the sanitary aspects of shorter nails. It may be the part of the US that I live currently, but I don't really see that many women with high-maintenance manicures, so that may be skewing my response to the question.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1305288500|2920559 said:
Stci, I'm curious where you got the idea that "American women" have ugly fake nails? Because that's a pretty broad generalization, and I'm assuming you have a reason for coming to that conclusion.

I'm personally not a fan of fake nails, although I've seen some that were beautifully done. I use my hands too much, and also prefer the sanitary aspects of shorter nails. It may be the part of the US that I live currently, but I don't really see that many women with high-maintenance manicures, so that may be skewing my response to the question.

False nails are so popular in USA that the prothesists gave this name to this particular manicure. It's call "American nails".

When you go to the prothesist for a french acrylic or gel manucure you just ask "American nails please" and they do exactly what you see in second pics of this topic in more or less length.

A study shows that American women are the biggest users of this product. Is it because Americans are more proud and want to have beautiful nails or is it just a fad that will pass like so many others? The fact is "American nails" can be do 2 different way and when the nail bed is too short it's really ugly. This is my point.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All French women are rude and unbearable. It's just the truth, so if you feel bad then that's your problem.

Do you see how you come across stci? I don't think you have a language barrier, I think you're just incredibly insensitive.

Your question is valid, but your condescending tone needs to be checked at the door. If you asked this instead: 'Why do women wear fake nails', you would have received a better response. Think about it.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I don't do nails or make up. 95% because I'm too lazy to do them :bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results