shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did a thing....hubs is not pleased. :cry: But I'm excited...The price was less than HALF what hubs spent on his watch....still waiting on response from trying to sell a sewing machine...
20181028_163108.jpg

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stupid Craigslist scammer. Thought I had my machine sold. Oh well...points for listing it, right? :halo:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Often this group feels more like friends than just "strangers on the internet". :kiss2: I think it comes from a place where the finances are a bit unequal. Hubs earns almost 2x what I do, and he also manages the $$. I'm ok with this most of the time, its just times like this (or when he goes out to lunch weekly:angryfire:) that I get angry. I am about 90% of the way to just saying I'm going to get it. :) When I did the little test ride yesterday, I started to remember why I liked riding my bike...I used to LOVE it as a kid.

I did a thing....hubs is not pleased. :cry: But I'm excited...The price was less than HALF what hubs spent on his watch....still waiting on response from trying to sell a sewing machine...
20181028_163108.jpg

@Cozystitches yay you! Glad you bought something to improve your health and mood and you deserve it.
I also want to add that I don't judge other peoples relationships and what works for you works for you and that is all that matters. But it doesn't sound like it is working completely smoothly for you and well the fact that your dh earns more money doesn't mean (shouldn't mean) that he gets more say in things including purchases. You are a team, a married couple. You're in this together. Perhaps it is time you pointed this out to dh if you have not already. It's not what is his is his and what is yours is yours but is what's his is yours and yours his as you are a team! Maybe if he sees it from that perspective he'll get it. IDK but just because you earn less should not mean you have less say in anything. You are equal partners in the marriage.

If I have overstepped please ignore me but just wanted to share my thoughts with you. And congrats on the bike! I hope you enjoy many years of happy cycling.:appl:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lyra Thanks! :D I'm excited but also a bit scared :)

@missy :kiss2: You are sweet. Thank you for your advice, I think the issue is that we need to communicate better/more. There are times that I speak up, I'm hoping that he's said his peace, and that'll be it. Although, I am looking for more ways to earn $$ as there are several bills that are because of my choices (graduate school :eek2:)...

I have a tentative plan to start biking to work, all that I've read says to not go crazy when you first start, so the plan is:

1. Ride each day this week, but only short rides: like 20 minutes total
2. Continue with these short rides, but start increasing them.
3. By the week of Veteran's Day ride to work with the plan of actually doing so. :shock:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
20181028_163108.jpg
Good for you!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cozystitches , have you taken your bike out yet? How was it? I'm reminiscing about how much fun I used to have riding my bike.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Big ol squishy hugs. I'm sorry. We still like you if it helps?:mrgreen:
That helps a lot! Thank you!! :kiss2:

I can imagine it must be hard! I loved your posts and miss seeing you posting like you used to. Hang in there. You will get comfortable again!
I truly hope you are right because I really enjoyed this forum and felt like I was just starting to find my place here. Thank you for the encouragement!

Aww I totally get that and I'm sorry. Sending you comforting hugs and encouragement. Hopefully in time things will balance out and you will get into the trade member groove and feel just as loved and love posting just as much as you did before. Look at some of our beloved trade members who post here on a regular basis. PSers adore them and I think the trade members love posting and sharing info. And also you can totally post in hangout like you did before but just cannot share SMTB pics. And you do still fit in! (((Hugs))).
Yeah, I was heartbroken to learn that I can't post pictures of Lilliana once she is done. I know several of y'all were interested in seeing her finished since I posted about her and shared the CADs. Maybe another PSer will recognize her on the vendor's IG (if pictures are posted by them) and share in my old thread if that's allowed.

And thank you for being supportive! I truly am grateful. I just need to find my new "trade" voice since there are some (understandable and acceptable) differences when posting here. Hopefully as I learn more, I will become more comfortable chiming in. ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I was heartbroken to learn that I can't post pictures of Lilliana once she is done. I know several of y'all were interested in seeing her finished since I posted about her and shared the CADs. Maybe another PSer will recognize her on the vendor's IG (if pictures are posted by them) and share in my old thread if that's allowed.

Are you on IG? Because that way PSers can follow you if they would like and you can post bling pics to your heart's content.:halo:

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Are you on IG? Because that way PSers can follow you if they would like and you can post bling pics to your heart's content.:halo:
eleanorandlucy is my goof off account where I would post anything. ;)2

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Cozystitches , have you taken your bike out yet? How was it? I'm reminiscing about how much fun I used to have riding my bike.

I have!!! Way fun! But, OH MY GOODNESS my leg muscles are a bit shocked (they're like WTF are you DOING!?!?!?!?) :lol: Not to mention my nether regions :oops: Yesterday I did slightly over 5miles in 34 minutes I did mostly a trail (some road). Today I did 5.8 miles in 38min all road. I figured I'd start taking the route I'd take to work since I'm looking at doing that anyway. :D
Thanks for asking! :D

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Cozystitches, you're certainly off to a great start, that's awesome! Are you using bike shorts? I'd definitely recommend that. I also always got a gel saddle. Anything for comfort, lol.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow @Cozystitches, you're certainly off to a great start, that's awesome! Are you using bike shorts? I'd definitely recommend that. I also always got a gel saddle. Anything for comfort, lol.

No, I'm not using bike shorts....my biker friend said I need them...but as of right now, I'm just suffering w/the hard saddle. :eek2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I'm not using bike shorts....my biker friend said I need them...but as of right now, I'm just suffering w/the hard saddle. :eek2:

I got a gel seat pad for our exercise bike. It was only like $20 and made a huge difference. Maybe they do similar for regular bikes?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a gel seat pad for our exercise bike. It was only like $20 and made a huge difference. Maybe they do similar for regular bikes?

I've thought of getting one! :D We'll see how I feel today, although I may not be able to ride today.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sold my sewing machine!!! :dance::dance: Now, my bike is more than 1/2 paid for! :D :D Yippee! AND I RODE to the bank to deposit the $$$...oh...my butt....it hurts :oops::-o. Also had my first brush w/a car :angryfire: I hope her shiny black car has a scratch on it from my bike. :angryfire: Thankfully I'm not hurt (and neither is my bike). Thanks to the nice guy who stopped to make sure I was ok after the car (briefly paused) and said she was so so sorry....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG be careful!:o That's the one thing that scares me, careless or even aggressive drivers. I used to trail and path ride so there were no cars to contend with. Scary!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a software engineer.

My old company, which I worked at for almost four years and gave my heart to, closed its doors in July after thirteen years in business.

I was heartbroken. We all were. Even though we’d seen it coming - we were a small outfit, under 100 employees, and our CEO was very open about financials - there was always the hope that if we just shifted direction a little further, put in a little more work, took on another niche, we might pull through... until one day and one lost deal too many there wasn’t. My stomach still churns remembering that last all-hands meeting first thing Monday morning.

Working there... I made some wonderful friends and I got some incredible - enviable - experience in my particular space. I started the job search and, after a couple of months and some ups and downs, had three promising options to choose from.

And the decision was easy: I was going to the place a dozen of my old coworkers had already chosen, the place that creates the operating system my old company’s offering was built on, the place that has somehow preserved the startup culture that I need to be happy at despite through two decades and twelve thousand employees of growth, the place for whom “open source” isn’t lip-service but lifeblood.

I’ve only been here a month. But I’ve believed in their message and their products for a decade, and I signed on proud to join the team and excited to fall in love again.

Today, an industry giant has acquired my new company. We are publicly traded - realistically, if someone shows up on the doorstep with a briefcase full of bills and says there’s a shipping container’s worth down at the docks, there’s not much that can be done if it’s in the shareholders’ interests. This giant has a long history of policies and values that run against much of my new company’s culture... But this acquisition is also obviously something of a Hail Mary effort at revival and industry relevance, which makes “them letting us keep doing our successful thing” a plausible belief. Only time will tell what this road takes us down. My main reaction right now is a very petulant “but I just got here!!”

I’m treating myself to hot chocolate with extra half n half tonight.

After a crazy few days with lots of meetings, hearing from our CEO and IBM's CEO, hearing from our executives and immediate management... the general feeling is "cautiously optimistic".

At the end of the day IBM spent $34billion on a software company with no IP: there is no product that they're acquiring. What they're getting - all they're getting - is the Red Hat people and the Red Hat culture. And we get tens of thousands more consultants to scale Red Hat product integrations, marketing funding, and protection from a future less-desirable acquisition.

So let's see what happens!

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a crazy few days with lots of meetings, hearing from our CEO and IBM's CEO, hearing from our executives and immediate management... the general feeling is "cautiously optimistic".

At the end of the day IBM spent $34billion on a software company with no IP: there is no product that they're acquiring. What they're getting - all they're getting - is the Red Hat people and the Red Hat culture. And we get tens of thousands more consultants to scale Red Hat product integrations, marketing funding, and protection from a future less-desirable acquisition.

Good luck @yssie !!! Keeping good thoughts for you and your company. IBM isn’t going to get rid of talent. It’s what they wanted when they acquired your company. :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No trick or treaters last night. Zero Zip Nada. By 9:30 p.m. I was

candy cat.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 11.17.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 11.17.47 AM.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 10

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made my husband take most of the leftover candy to work. Love the meme Matata.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG be careful!:o That's the one thing that scares me, careless or even aggressive drivers. I used to trail and path ride so there were no cars to contend with. Scary!

I'm ok, was pissed at the time. I went out again today, I think I've found part of my route to work...now to get faster so I can take under an hour to do so...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah! Different company and than DH is at now. He did work for IBM way back when. Probably about 20 years ago now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just picked a few strands of hair out of the duvet.
Most are my normal almost-black.
One changes from almost-black to dark-brown to light-brown to fire-engine-red to yellow to white up the length... It's almost two feet long and is literally six different colours.
Another is a fine, pale blonde all the way down.

Our cleaning help must wonder sometimes.

Last edited:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If a coupon code says it expires the 17th...doesn't that mean you can still use it on the 17th? :?::confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a coupon code says it expires the 17th...doesn't that mean you can still use it on the 17th? :?::confused:

Yes. It usually means expires by or after midnight that night. So at 12:01 AM the 18th it is expired. Though I guess it depends on the establishment as it is up for interpretation.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried the honey app? I have it on my laptop. It automatically searches for any coupons and reductions. I was skeptical, because being in Canada usually means a lot of apps are useless, but it saved me an addition $10 on some clothes I ordered which already had a 30% reduction. Just a thought.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. It usually means expires by or after midnight that night. So at 12:01 AM the 18th it is expired. Though I guess it depends on the establishment as it is up for interpretation.

That's what I thought...I sent a message to the shop and hopefully I'll still be able to use the coupon. If not...oh well.:geek:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results