shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
One more awesome thing!! Yesterday I was out of the office because of a migraine that could have killed a large horse and guess what was waiting for me when I got back in the office today? Flowers...sigh. Sweet Boy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 11:44:12 AM
Author: Strawdermangrl
One more awesome thing!! Yesterday I was out of the office because of a migraine that could have killed a large horse and guess what was waiting for me when I got back in the office today? Flowers...sigh. Sweet Boy.
Awww. That''s really sweet.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 10:41:41 AM
Author: packrat
Charbie-didn''t you get a new tattoo a while back? I want to seeeee it! I want another one (or 10) sooo bad!

YES! I want to see! I have 4-5 I want but my finances don''t agree right now. I''ll live vicariously through your ink
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
So DH turns 40 today. He's been drooling over two road bikes for a year, but he's the type of person who won't splurge on himself. SO, about a year ago I started stashing cash away every time I had some extra in my wallet, and planned to save up enough in a year to buy him a new bicycle for his 40th.

I figure the only way to get him to feel okay about spending $1,000 on a bike is if he doesn't realize the money exists in the first place.

Well, I did it. I saved the cash, little by little, but I couldn't buy him the actual bike because I'm not sure exactly which one he'd like, and what size frame he needs, etc. SO, I decided to give him the wad of cash for his birthday today.

But that just didn't seem like a lot of fun.

So I made money origami out of all of it, and he woke up to this scene:
(The fortune teller thingy has sweet little things written in it, and the flat paper reads "Happy birthday, Honey! Let's go buy you a new bicycle!" He was really shocked, as he had no idea that I had this cash stashed away.

HavensMoneyOrigami.jpg

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/15/2010 12:51:07 PM
Author: Haven
So DH turns 40 today. He''s been drooling over two road bikes for a year, but he''s the type of person who won''t splurge on himself. SO, about a year ago I started stashing cash away every time I had some extra in my wallet, and planned to save up enough in a year to buy him a new bicycle for his 40th.

I figure the only way to get him to feel okay about spending $1,000 on a bike is if he doesn''t realize the money exists in the first place.

Well, I did it. I saved the cash, little by little, but I couldn''t buy him the actual bike because I''m not sure exactly which one he''d like, and what size frame he needs, etc. SO, I decided to give him the wad of cash for his birthday today.

But that just didn''t seem like a lot of fun.

So I made money origami out of all of it, and he woke up to this scene:
(The fortune teller thingy has sweet little things written in it, and the flat paper reads ''Happy birthday, Honey! Let''s go buy you a bicycle!'' He was really shocked, as he had no idea that I had this cash stashed away.
Haven: I know,right?
30.gif
What an awesome Wife you are!!! WOW, the self control!!!
36.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 12:49:52 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Charbie-didn''t you get a new tattoo a while back? I want to seeeee it! I want another one (or 10) sooo bad!
YES! I want to see! I have 4-5 I want but my finances don''t agree right now. I''ll live vicariously through your ink
9.gif
Oooh, yes please, do share! I want a tattoo on my inner wrist so bad, but I keep telling myself to wait until I''m tenured somewhere. Three more years if all goes well . . .

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 12:56:23 PM
Author: Strawdermangrl
Haven: I know,right?
30.gif
What an awesome Wife you are!!! WOW, the self control!!!
36.gif
I love it when I hear about guys doing sweet things out of the blue. It''s so . . . sweet!

I''m stashing cash as a gift for my sister''s wedding too, so I have to admit that there have been a couple of times when I''ve thought "I could take this cash and turn it into a killer eternity band . . . " but I haven''t caved yet!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Haven that is AWESOME! What a wonderful way to present such a thoughtful gift!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Wow Haven you''re really talented with origami, how cute!!!

It''s so funny you squirreled away the money little by little, that''s exactly what I''m doing to buy DH a new watch next year when he graduates!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Haven, that''s so creative! I bet your husband is super excited.

What bikes is he looking at? What components (deraileur, etc)? I love buying road bikes, I just wish I got out on mine more
10.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haven, that''s so cute and sweet of you!!! I love the presentation!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:09:14 PM
Author: elrohwen
Haven, that''s so creative! I bet your husband is super excited.
What bikes is he looking at? What components (deraileur, etc)? I love buying road bikes, I just wish I got out on mine more
10.gif
Is it bad that I don''t remember! I have them written down somewhere because I was planning on buying it as a surprise for a while, and I know he''s stuck between two different models, but I can''t even remember the name at the moment.

I ride a lot, but I''m not very bike savvy. I''m still using my Trek 7100 hybrid that my parents gave me as a college graduation present. (That would mean I''ve had it since 2002!) Hey--it gets me where I need to go, and I''m comfortable on it.

My sister just bought a wicked Giant road bike. It was originally $1300 but she got it for $700. I wish I knew details about that one, too. She''s become quite the cyclist during her past year in Israel. It''s pretty cool, because now we can all ride together once she''s home this summer. (DH and I live on an enormous system of bike paths, and it''s literally right outside our back fence. I think it''s super cool.)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, that''s so sweet and cute!! Your DH is a very lucky guy
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the money origami appreciation, ladies! I''m really not that talented, I just googled "money origami" and followed the pictures!
3.gif

I''m definitely planning on making a little bride and groom out of the cash I''m saving up for my sister, though. How cool would that be? A huge dress, a neat tux, oh the possibilities! (It''s more fun than a check, right?)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:08:24 PM
Author: purselover
Wow Haven you''re really talented with origami, how cute!!!

It''s so funny you squirreled away the money little by little, that''s exactly what I''m doing to buy DH a new watch next year when he graduates!
It turned out better than I expected. He''ll love it because he''ll have no idea that you saved up for it. (It''s hard to surprise someone with a big ticket item when you share finances, right?)

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:14:26 PM
Thanks for all the money origami appreciation, ladies! I''m really not that talented, I just googled ''money origami'' and followed the pictures!
3.gif

I''m definitely planning on making a little bride and groom out of the cash I''m saving up for my sister, though. How cool would that be? A huge dress, a neat tux, oh the possibilities! (It''s more fun than a check, right?)
That b-day present is so thoughtful! And the presentation, WOW! Kudos to you!

I too have thought about a wrist tattoo. I don''t know if it''s too trendy? But, really, I shouldn''t care.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very thoughtful and cool Haven!

JD''s got my name on his inner wrist and I like it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 1:12:57 PM

Date: 4/15/2010 1:09:14 PM
Author: elrohwen
Haven, that's so creative! I bet your husband is super excited.
10.gif
Is it bad that I don't remember! I have them written down somewhere because I was planning on buying it as a surprise for a while, and I know he's stuck between two different models, but I can't even remember the name at the moment.

I ride a lot, but I'm not very bike savvy. I'm still using my Trek 7100 hybrid that my parents gave me as a college graduation present. (That would mean I've had it since 2002!) Hey--it gets me where I need to go, and I'm comfortable on it.

My sister just bought a wicked Giant road bike. It was originally $1300 but she got it for $700. I wish I knew details about that one, too. She's become quite the cyclist during her past year in Israel. It's pretty cool, because now we can all ride together once she's home this summer. (DH and I live on an enormous system of bike paths, and it's literally right outside our back fence. I think it's super cool.)
My excuse for not riding is that it's insanely hilly here with no shoulders, so I'm always terrified of being run over (not to mention hating the hills becaue of asthma). We have a bike path, but I always end up going 13mph+ and almost running over some kid or another (or running into people who don't know what single file means). I miss living in Pgh where there was a 5mile loop of closed off road at a park - a full two lane road to ride on without running people over. And 5 miles is a good distance to make your ride whatever distance you want (though by 5 loops I was a bit sick of going around in a circle). You're very lucky to have suck nice places to ride! I do miss the days when I could easily do 30-60miles at a time.
40.gif
Maybe I'll get my butt in gear this spring since DH's friend just got a road bike and wants us to ride with him.

My bike is a Fuji, because I knew a guy in college (worked for my department in the labs) who had a bike shop. He sold Fujis for basically wholesale price, so I got my $1500 bike for about $900 (and my parents paid for half as a gift). Now my dad and DH own bikes from this guy - he says if I sell another one I get a toaster oven
10.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
JT (4) decided to play with fire today.

He lit a string cheese wrapper on fire in a candle in the kitchen and then put it in the trash. I was in another room and although I smelled a "burning" smell I didn't worry about it because DH was using power tools in another room. I assumed he was causing the smell. A few minutes later, smoke began rolling from the kitchen and THEN the smoke alarm went off. DH grabbed the trash can and threw it outside on the concrete as I grabbed JT to take him outside. Luckily, the fire was contained to just under the sink with no major damage. I put out the trash can, got a few minor burns from blowing fragments. DH burned his hand but not too badly. After it was all done, JT told us what he did and apologized.

I have at least one candle lit everyday in our home. JT has grown up with it so it's nothing new. Apparently curiosity got the better of him today.

The house still smells smokey.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/15/2010 3:45:18 PM
Author: somethingshiny

He lit a string cheese wrapper on fire in a candle in the kitchen and then put it in the trash. I was in another room and although I smelled a ''burning'' smell I didn''t worry about it because DH was using power tools in another room. I assumed he was causing the smell. A few minutes later, smoke began rolling from the kitchen and THEN the smoke alarm went off. DH grabbed the trash can and threw it outside on the concrete as I grabbed JT to take him outside. Luckily, the fire was contained to just under the sink with no major damage. I put out the trash can, got a few minor burns from blowing fragments. DH burned his hand but not too badly. After it was all done, JT told us what he did and apologized.

I have at least one candle lit everyday in our home. JT has grown up with it so it''s nothing new. Apparently curiosity got the better of him today.

OH NO!!! Thank goodness it wasn''t worse, so so sorry to hear of your injuries!!!! I bet that got your heartrate up!!!
6.gif

In regard to the smokey smell, I have heard that if you boil vinegar, that will remove the stink.

Good luck, and take care of those burns and DH hand.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Haven - that is SO cute

For all us workout folks, I got Jillian Michaels Calorie burning yoga for my birthday and I LOVE IT!!!!!! - go get it. right now. go.
11.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shiny, glad everyone''s ok, not counting the burns of course. How scary!!

Working on training from home for the new electronic medical records at work. Maybe this will be a better system..who knows. Doubtful.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 3:45:18 PM
Author: somethingshiny

He lit a string cheese wrapper on fire in a candle in the kitchen and then put it in the trash. I was in another room and although I smelled a ''burning'' smell I didn''t worry about it because DH was using power tools in another room. I assumed he was causing the smell. A few minutes later, smoke began rolling from the kitchen and THEN the smoke alarm went off. DH grabbed the trash can and threw it outside on the concrete as I grabbed JT to take him outside. Luckily, the fire was contained to just under the sink with no major damage. I put out the trash can, got a few minor burns from blowing fragments. DH burned his hand but not too badly. After it was all done, JT told us what he did and apologized.

I have at least one candle lit everyday in our home. JT has grown up with it so it''s nothing new. Apparently curiosity got the better of him today.

I missed this at first
I am so glad to hear you are all ok!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Df~ I didn''t know Jillian had a yoga dvd. It is SOO going on my list of workouts after bebe arrives!! Let me know how you like it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard a couple minutes of a song on the way to work yesterday (Send Me An Angel cover) and no clue who did it. Looking on youtube and can not fricken find it. Lucky me that there''s a ton of them-argh. It was on the college station so I emailed them. It kinda sounded like Disturbed in a way but..dangit I hate it when I hear something and don''t know the band.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I saw David Sedaris tonight. He is hilarious and I love him.

Haven, what a great and thoughtful gift!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 9:47:26 PM
Author: katamari
We saw him last Friday ... AMAZING! Still laughing. "Your (''re) trash ... your family''s trash" Been quoting him all week.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 9:58:10 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 4/15/2010 9:47:26 PM

Author: katamari

We saw him last Friday ... AMAZING! Still laughing. ''Your (''re) trash ... your family''s trash'' Been quoting him all week.

^^^YES! ROLF!
36.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
When I checked in for my flight this morning, I noticed my flight was delayed. Wasn''t sure how long until I got to the gate. THREE minutes. THREE. That''s the shortest delay I''ve ever had!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
yes!! sorry!! things have been a bit crazy for me lately, and i haven''t been over in this direction. i''ll post a pic later today!! cross my heart!

and haven- i love the money origami-! i have a calendar of origami on my desk at work- everyday i get to make something new! i know about the dress and pants suit (they call it the $2 suit) and its so cute!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results