shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to hire myself out to help at wedding receptions. Mom and I wandered into the kitchen to see if we could do something. (Family friends wedding) We figured we'd help out a little until things got rolling and under control..but the caterer had problems, kept losing power, so by the time the food was ready it was well over an hour past the time it was supposed to have been. We spent almost 2 hours helping the kitchen. Several years ago mom and the mom of yesterdays Bride talked about starting a party/reception business-I was all for it and wish they would've.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello all. Is back. It has been a while, what have I missed?

MC- Hide it girl, better than having to share it. Just saying is all. I mean, I have my own fridge upstairs for my Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. I get a little 'slap' happy when I get low on DC and everyone knows it. I openly accept and embrace my crack addiction.

Hi, My name is Renee and I love me some Diet Coke. Judge.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SDL - I'm glad you're back!

Renee - OMG girl you CRACK ME UP!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm home sick and the fire alarm in my building keeps on going on and off. I'm wrestling with three freaked out kitties.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Seriously Blackberry? You didn't even exist in 1970! How the heck is my calendar opening to January 1, 1970????

IMG_3040.JPG

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Because it fits.

cake.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
ROFL

Renee - please put that in the daily inspiration thread. Just for me.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411|1300736691|2876710 said:
ROFL

Renee - please put that in the daily inspiration thread. Just for me.

Donde?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We started a daily inspiration thread. Should be on page two or three - Darts off to find it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Renee, girl, I've missed you around these parts. So good to have my LUVAH back! (Plz to be warned - you is mai luvah.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay...we closed on both houses!!!
Even our RE attorney did not think the buyers would see it through but it all worked out despite the stress and aggravation the buyers caused us! We are just relieved more than anything right now: ))

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
missy|1300742102|2876801 said:
Even our RE attorney did not think the buyers would see it through but it all worked out despite the stress and aggravation the buyers caused us! We are just relieved more than anything right now: ))

Woohoo congrats!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am having a super awesome (albeit busy) evening. We're leaving for Florida tomorrow morning for our vacation!

Also, the bloodwork from our life insurance came back. I'm super preferred and DH is only preferred. I know I shouldn't be rubbing in my lower likelyhood of death, but he's convinced that my diet is going to kill me so I have to gloat a bit!

Meat eater 1 - Vegetarian 0

(Not meant to offend vegetarians...its just an ongoing joke/argument with us)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1300750969|2876912 said:
I am having a super awesome (albeit busy) evening. We're leaving for Florida tomorrow morning for our vacation!

Also, the bloodwork from our life insurance came back. I'm super preferred and DH is only preferred. I know I shouldn't be rubbing in my lower likelyhood of death, but he's convinced that my diet is going to kill me so I have to gloat a bit!

Meat eater 1 - Vegetarian 0

(Not meant to offend vegetarians...its just an ongoing joke/argument with us)

Ha, well DH and I are both on super-preferred and eat ONLY meat. ;-) lol We may have had a salad last month...??? (j/k)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1300750761|2876911 said:

Woohoo congrats!

Thank you Chemgirl! Tomorrow we move and I am so looking forward to finally settling in there. We have lots to do but we are going to take it nice and easy.

I hope you are feeling better Chemgirl!! And the kitties too!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
missy|1300757319|2876978 said:

Woohoo congrats!

Thank you Chemgirl! Tomorrow we move and I am so looking forward to finally settling in there. We have lots to do but we are going to take it nice and easy.

Thanks!

The kitties have settled down now and I'm starting to feel better. I have to catch my flight at 8:00 am so I'm too excited to feel sick!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you VRBeauty!
Today is moving to new house day!

Now if only I could start sleeping again. I couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours per night because my mind was too active with all the stress from the last few months. Well, once again this morning, I woke up at 2 am and could not get back to sleep...hope I can get back to normal soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1300757706|2876984 said:
missy|1300757319|2876978 said:

Woohoo congrats!

Thanks!

The kitties have settled down now and I'm starting to feel better. I have to catch my flight at 8:00 am so I'm too excited to feel sick!

I'm glad you and the kitties are feeling better. Have a safe flight!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
princesss|1300738832|2876757 said:
Renee, girl, I've missed you around these parts. So good to have my LUVAH back! (Plz to be warned - you is mai luvah.)

Ahhh, mai luvah. I has missed you, too. :) What's new? What did I miss? :naughty:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
April20|1300732527|2876655 said:
Seriously Blackberry? You didn't even exist in 1970! How the heck is my calendar opening to January 1, 1970????
Maybe it's a time machine?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1300797875|2877196 said:
April20|1300732527|2876655 said:
Maybe it's a time machine?

That would be incredibly cool.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Coffee.

That is all.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a blustery day here. It's dark and the rain is pounding on the windows driven by wind strong enough to shake the house. The fireplace is lit and I'm snuggled under a warm blankie savoring a cup of Dagoba hot chocolate seasoned with dark chocolate bits, cinnamon & chile powder. Yum.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm taking calc-3 & intro chemistry this next quarter.

I've never taken a chemistry class of any kind. Is there anything that any of you wish you had known going in or would have made stuff easier if you had longer to memorize?

ETA -- I've got 10 days before the quarter starts and I want to get a head start so this quarter is less stressful than last quarter.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1300995172|2879254 said:

I've never taken a chemistry class of any kind. Is there anything that any of you wish you had known going in or would have made stuff easier if you had longer to memorize?

ETA -- I've got 10 days before the quarter starts and I want to get a head start so this quarter is less stressful than last quarter.

Do you know what will be covered in the chemistry class?

If there's any organic chem I would recommend memorizing the main functional groups and knowing their structures. There are also naming conventions for naming organic molecules so you could memorize the rules involved with naming.

Give acid base chemistry a bit of a look (the classic definitions of acids and bases (there are a few of them), how to calculate pH, and how to tell an acid from a base based on charge). There isn't really much to memorize here, its more understanding how it works which would be explained in the class.

My intro course had some valence theory (bonding theory). Define a covalent and ionic bond. You will probably go more in depth with covalent bonding so its helpful to look at the periodic table and also memorize how many bonds the most common elements need to make to be happy. For example carbon needs four bonds, hydrogen one, oxygen two etc.

They also might touch on bond angles (certain conformations are necessary for stability) and different isomers (ie different ways to make a molecule with the same atoms).

Hope that helps! I could give more concrete advice if you give me a syllabus.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1301004492|2879451 said:
TooPatient|1300995172|2879254 said:

Do you know what will be covered in the chemistry class?

If there's any organic chem I would recommend memorizing the main functional groups and knowing their structures. There are also naming conventions for naming organic molecules so you could memorize the rules involved with naming.

Give acid base chemistry a bit of a look (the classic definitions of acids and bases (there are a few of them), how to calculate pH, and how to tell an acid from a base based on charge). There isn't really much to memorize here, its more understanding how it works which would be explained in the class.

My intro course had some valence theory (bonding theory). Define a covalent and ionic bond. You will probably go more in depth with covalent bonding so its helpful to look at the periodic table and also memorize how many bonds the most common elements need to make to be happy. For example carbon needs four bonds, hydrogen one, oxygen two etc.

They also might touch on bond angles (certain conformations are necessary for stability) and different isomers (ie different ways to make a molecule with the same atoms).

Hope that helps! I could give more concrete advice if you give me a syllabus.

I'm doing Chem121 this quarter and then 161 either summer or fall. (161, 162, 163 are required for my degree but I have to take 121 also since I never had any chemistry in HS)

CHEM& 121 Introduction to Chemistry • 6 CR
(Previously CHEM 101)

Introduces simplified atomic and molecular theory. Students investigate the chemistry of solutions, gases, liquids, and solids and examine quantitative relationships in chemical processes. Format includes lecture, discussion, and laboratory.

After completing this course, students should be able to:
Some of these topics are optional, at the instructor's discretion. They are noted below by an asterisk (*).
1. Chemical Terms and Measurements
•Define chemistry and identify its major subfields.
•Distinguish between matter and energy.
•List and describe the key elements of the scientific method.
•Recognize and use prefixes in metric measurements.
•Apply density as a way to relate the volume to the mass of a substance.
•Solve unit conversion and density problems using dimensional analysis and/or ratios and proportions.
•Identify the proper number of significant digits in a laboratory setting.
•Write numbers in scientific notation.
2. Chemical Elements and the Periodic Table
•Describe the general structure of the atom.
•Identify the subatomic particles which make up the atom.
•Define atomic number and isotope; identify the number of electrons, protons, and neutrons in a specific atom.
•Distinguish mass number from atomic weight.
•Extract information about an element from the periodic table: for example; the symbol, atomic number, atomic weight, and the number of protons and electrons.
•Explain the differences between elements, compounds, and homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures.
•Describe the difference between chemical and physical properties/changes.
3. Introduction to Chemical Calculations and the Chemical Equation
•Explain the concept of the mole.
•Compute molar masses of elements and compounds; use those molar masses in calculations involving masses and moles of chemical substances.
•Distinguish between empirical and molecular formulas.
•Balance simple chemical equations.
•Interpret the information conveyed by a balanced chemical equation.
4. Atomic Structure and the Periodic Table
•Explain the historical development of the atomic theory.
•Identify some of the scientists who contributed to our model of the atom.
•Describe the role of spectroscopy in the development of atomic theory.
•Describe the Bohr model of the atom.
•Explain the weakness of Bohr’s Theory and the need for a quantum mechanical model of the atom.
•Describe the relationship between energy levels, sublevels and orbitals.
•Identify the relationship between the electronic structure of an element and its position in the periodic table.
•Describe the historical development of the periodic table.
•Identify the location of groups and periods; metals and nonmetals.
•Predict trends in the radii of atoms and ionization energies using the Periodic Table.
5. Chemical Bonds and Nomenclature
•Identify the number and location of valence electrons for main group elements.
•Explain why the elements in a periodic group exhibit similar chemical properties.
•Describe briefly the differences between molecular, ionic, and metallic substances.
•Predict the charge of common cations and anions using the octet rule.
•Write Lewis structures for atoms, ions, and molecules.
•Predict the geometry of molecules using VSEPR Theory.
•Define electronegativity and use it to predict the polarity of bonds and molecules.
•Write the formulas and names for simple compounds using the Periodic Table.
6. Gases, Liquids and Solids
•Describe the characteristics of a solid, a liquid, and a gas in terms of visible properties and the kinetic-molecular theory of matter.
•Explain the properties of gases and the relations expressed by the gas laws. (*)
•Describe the energy changes that accompany the heating, cooling, or changing of state of a substance.
•Explain the role that bonding and intermolecular forces play in determining the melting and boiling points of pure substances.
7. Chemical Stiochiometry and Reaction Rates
•State the Law of Conservation of Mass and relate it to the balanced equation.
•Solve stoichiometric problems given a chemical equation.
•Explain the concept of a limiting reactant.
•Describe the collision theory of reactions. (*)
•Sketch the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve and state how the shape of the curve varies with temperature. (*)
•Describe the ways to alter the rate of a reaction; temperature, state of subdivision, concentration, and catalyst. (*)
•Draw potential energy diagrams for exothermic and endothermic reactions showing products, reactants, and the transition state. (*)
•Calculate the Heat of a Reaction. (*)
8. Water and Solutions
•Describe how hydrogen bonding affects the properties of water.
•Describe the dissolving process for ionic and polar substance in water.
•Describe a saturated solution in terms of chemical equilibrium.
•Prepare solutions using concentration units of percent and molarity.
•Solve simple titration problems.
•Describe the differences between strong electrolytes and non-electrolytes.
•Describe weak electrolytes in terms of reversible chemical reactions and equilibrium.
•Identify common acids and bases, both strong and weak.
•Calculate the pH of a solution given the hydronium ion concentration.
•Explain that a buffer solution resists changes in pH.

CHEM& 161 General Chemistry I • 6 CR
(Previously CHEM 140)

First in a three-course chemistry sequence for science and engineering students. The 161/162/163 series covers atomic structure, stoichiometry, solutions, gas laws, periodic law, bonding, molecular orbital theory, colligative properties, radioactivity, thermochemistry, equilibrium, acids, bases, oxidation-reduction, electrochemistry, kinetics, and simple organic chemistry. Courses in the series take a quantitative approach, format includes lecture, discussion, and laboratory. Prerequisite: MATH& 141 or equivalent and either one year high school chemistry or CHEM& 121

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a tree trimming crew working in one of the huge old elm trees in front of my house. Very cool to watch - from a safe distance!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know how you'll run into That Woman who clearly knows what she's talking about, is absolutely gorgeous and is just too *nice* to dislike... and all you can think is how unfair it is that there's nothing bad to justify disliking her anyway with?

Gosh, can you say jealous and petty? Bah.

Well, on the bright side, my project was apparently a success. So that's good.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1301080568|2880224 said:
You know how you'll run into That Woman who clearly knows what she's talking about, is absolutely gorgeous and is just too *nice* to dislike... and all you can think is how unfair it is that there's nothing bad to justify disliking her anyway with?

Gosh, can you say jealous and petty? Bah.

Well, on the bright side, my project was apparently a success. So that's good.

Glad your project went well.

Reasons to dislike her:
Her speaking voice is annoying?
She can't sing but thinks she can?
Feet are too big?
Clothing is too revealing?
Can't cook?
Leaves sprinkles on the seat?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results