shape
carat
color
clarity

I have questions about the ring that I am currently doing monthly payment.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply :)

Hopefully it shines like a star :)

I paid $1764 including the setting, $245 + $1395 + tax.

I am also kind of picky with choosing stuff so I had to search for few months before getting the

engagement ring. I looked at so many videos and articles about diamond and the conclusion I

made was that I want DEF, VVS2-VS2 stone :) but if it is around $150 difference, I would just get

the better grade one. Also since my gf didn't tell me about her preferences so much, I wanted to get

the best ones that I can get so that she doesn't complain later :)

Of course I noticed that in US, most people tend to prefer big sized

carat than high clarity ones (under 1 carat) (I heard that in South Korea, people

tend to prefer high clarity). I also wanted to get 0.5 carat sized one but with my budget,

it was impossible to find one from WF :)

I just hope that my gf likes it and honestly shines crazy enough to make other woman's ring look

milky lol.

Again, thank you for your reply and I hope you have a great day. :)

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

You mentioned South Korea. I am not from there, but generally speaking, many Asian cultures tend to prefer very high color and clarity stones. It's my understanding this represents purity and consequently obtaining a diamond for your wife that falls within that cultural reasoning is of supreme importance.

In your particular case, it didn't make much difference. You didn't have to give up meaningful size or dollars to obtain D VVS2. So if I was in your exact situation I would have done the same thing.

It becomes more difficult as the sizes increase because you then start to deal with more substantial dollar and/or size differences jumping between various color & clarity ranges. But, as you pointed out, the beauty of buying from a vendor like WF is that you get to enjoy a supreme diamond today and then as your income grows you can slowly upgrade to the next diamond that fits you and your (then) wife's tastes and budget constraints.

Again, congratulations!

You've got absolutely nothing to worry about. It'll be great.

Off topic, not sure why your name has the trade badge on it, though.

Agree. Going to report, so I can notify the mods.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@Wewechew Your original solitaire is really pretty!

And I just have to say that I LOVE your new Avatar! LOL it cracks me up! (And kinda looks like one of my fur babies.)

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be beautiful. It is classic and I personally love the idea of the high colour and clarity specs to match the ideal cut performance. My engagement ring is a simple solitaire that is just under 1/2 carat (0.4-something) and I still wear it and love it all these years later. Classics never look dated or out of style.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew Your original solitaire is really pretty!

And I just have to say that I LOVE your new Avatar! LOL it cracks me up! (And kinda looks like one of my fur babies.)

Woke up late this weekend. Came out to the living room to see the wife watching TV. She has the channel guide up on the screen. I read (much) faster than she does and immediately start groaning.

She finally noticed what I already did, smiled and switched to Legally Blonde. Have no fears, I know my wife and her weak bladder. About 30 impatient minutes later and she went to the bathroom and I stole the remote and flipped to football. :mrgreen:

Before I was able to steal my man card back, I saw this dog and immediately thought of @Wewechew's new avatar, lol.

1571768189188.png

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Just make sure that when you put the ring side by side to a "department store" diamond that the other person has thick skin (i.e. when she's comparing with her girlfriends).

Because there are no comparisons when it's next to frozen spit. LOL.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After running your current diamond pick and looking for another alternative within your price point, I think its not even worth changing because visually even the 0.45 on is only a 5% difference in size so they will appear the same size to the eye.

If you wanted something slightly cheaper that is about 3% larger these are a good pick

But again you are not going to see the size difference, I think its around the 10% that the eye can distinguish the difference

This is the tool I was using to see the comparison

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

You mentioned South Korea. I am not from there, but generally speaking, many Asian cultures tend to prefer very high color and clarity stones. It's my understanding this represents purity and consequently obtaining a diamond for your wife that falls within that cultural reasoning is of supreme importance.

In your particular case, it didn't make much difference. You didn't have to give up meaningful size or dollars to obtain D VVS2. So if I was in your exact situation I would have done the same thing.

It becomes more difficult as the sizes increase because you then start to deal with more substantial dollar and/or size differences jumping between various color & clarity ranges. But, as you pointed out, the beauty of buying from a vendor like WF is that you get to enjoy a supreme diamond today and then as your income grows you can slowly upgrade to the next diamond that fits you and your (then) wife's tastes and budget constraints.

Again, congratulations!

Agree. Going to report, so I can notify the mods.
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I heard that here in US, people tend to prefer and buy bigger carat than high color and clarity

stones. If I could boost up my size to 0.5 carat, I would have lowered my grade just like you said, but I
thought that it wouldn't make a huge difference to lower my grade and get like 5%bigger carat than

the one that I bought. Probably just end up saving like $100 which is big difference (to me),but I felt

like I am going to regret later haha. Even choosing the setting was really hard for me because even

though I like 6 prong style better than 4 prong style, people said that below 1carat will look more

smaller with 6 prong style (which is why I bought 4 prong style).

The reason why I chose WF is that WF has upgrade policies, so if I don't like the style,

I can always just change the setting to what I want later :).

Thank you for your comments and I hope you have a great day !

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think it will be beautiful. It is classic and I personally love the idea of the high colour and clarity specs to match the ideal cut performance. My engagement ring is a simple solitaire that is just under 1/2 carat (0.4-something) and I still wear it and love it all these years later. Classics never look dated or out of style.
Thank you for your comment!

Hopefully, it turns out beautiful :)

I am super nervous about the ring haha. I always go through articles about diamond and go on a

website like WF JA Bluenile,etc to check whether there are better ones or better deals :)

Feel more insecure when people say under .5ct is small haha.

It makes me feel a little bit better when I see the comments like you wrote!

I hope that my gf likes it and says yes :)

Thank you for your reply and I hope you have a great day !

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Just make sure that when you put the ring side by side to a "department store" diamond that the other person has thick skin (i.e. when she's comparing with her girlfriends).

Because there are no comparisons when it's next to frozen spit. LOL.

Thank you for your reply,

I am so nervous about the quality difference between other retailers like Zales, Kay, etc even though I

read so many articles and posts saying that it is not comparable at all (Just because I never had

chance to compared them in person or seen on youtube).

I am just hoping that ACA from WF will just sparkle super crazy so that I can feel super secure haha.

Thank you for your reply and I hope you have a wonderful day :)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The reason why I chose WF is that WF has upgrade policies, so if I don't like the style,

I can always just change the setting to what I want later :).

I believe their upgrade policy only applies to the diamond not the settings. I think there is only a 30 day return window for any non custom settings.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
After running your current diamond pick and looking for another alternative within your price point, I think its not even worth changing because visually even the 0.45 on is only a 5% difference in size so they will appear the same size to the eye.

If you wanted something slightly cheaper that is about 3% larger these are a good pick

But again you are not going to see the size difference, I think its around the 10% that the eye can distinguish the difference

This is the tool I was using to see the comparison
Thank you for your reply!

Just like you said, I feel like it is kind of not worth of changing it because I feel like it has to be .5ct to

actually see the difference. I couldn't find around .5ct ones that are good enough to buy.

I think I will just stick to what I chose because I would rather get the one has more clean specs than

saving $100 or so. (If I can save more than $300, I would change haha).

Thank you for your reply and your time. I hope you have a great day :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I believe their upgrade policy only applies to the diamond not the settings. I think there is only a 30 day return window for any non custom settings.
Thank you for your reply,

I found this from their webpage :) All engagement rings from the collections of our designer partners Tacori, Verragio, Simon G, Ritani, A.Jaffe, Danhov and Vatche are eligible for trade up to any other single designer item of this group of designers that is equal to or greater in value. 50% of the original sale price for the item will be credited toward the new purchase.

Since my setting isn't so expensive, when I have money to upgrade, I can get 50% of the original sale

price :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even choosing the setting was really hard for me because even

though I like 6 prong style better than 4 prong style, people said that below 1carat will look more

smaller with 6 prong style (which is why I bought 4 prong style).

I don't agree a 6 prong makes the stone look smaller. In fact, I think it's the opposite. Mainly because with only 4 prongs your eyes sometimes play a visual trick and make it look more square like a princess cut. Having 6 prongs better defines the edges, makes it clearly round, provides additional protection and IMO because the edges are better defined, it makes it look it's full size.

Maybe some of the ladies that have 4 and 6 prong settings of near identical carat weight stones can post up for some reviews.

I think you will find most here will recommend you go with a 6 prong.

If you utilize a designer band, then WF gives you 50% of the original price towards the purchase of a new designer band.

It appears that @jhkim94 is purchasing a Ritani band, so it should work out in his favor.

Capture100.PNG

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I don't agree a 6 prong makes the stone look smaller. In fact, I think it's the opposite. Mainly because with only 4 prongs your eyes sometimes play a visual trick and make it look more square like a princess cut. Having 6 prongs better defines the edges, makes it clearly round, provides additional protection and IMO because the edges are better defined, it makes it look it's full size.

Maybe some of the ladies that have 4 and 6 prong settings of near identical carat weight stones can post up for some reviews.

I think you will find most here will recommend you go with a 6 prong.

If you utilize a designer band, then WF gives you 50% of the original price towards the purchase of a new designer band.

It appears that @jhkim94 is purchasing a Ritani band, so it should work out in his favor.

Capture100.PNG

Thank you for your reply & sorry for my late reply,

I changed setting to 6 prong just like you said :)

I also don't want my round diamond to look square like princess cut.

Thank you for your recommendation :) More secure, less worries lol

Thank you,

JH

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply & sorry for my late reply,

I changed setting to 6 prong just like you said :)

I also don't want my round diamond to look square like princess cut.

Thank you for your recommendation :) More secure, less worries lol

Thank you,

JH

You're very welcome, and I am glad you made the adjustments I think you will be happy with the result and I know the stone will be more secure.

Shortly after proposing, my (now) wife took a girl's trip to Boston. While there, she damaged a prong and didn't notice until later that night in the hotel. We were very lucky she had 5 prongs to hold the stone in-place. If she would have had a 4 prong and 1 got bent like hers, there isn't much doubt in my mind her stone would have been lost.

Congrats on making some tough decisions. Be sure to post some pics of the finished ring.

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
A WF ACA is an awesome choice, but I’m just going to throw out an out of the box suggestion here.

Have you ever considered an oval? They seem to be pretty popular right now and with their elongated shape can give the illusion of more finger coverage. (Especially if you get one with a good spread.)

It’s true that lot of the time ovals are full of mushy areas which I know you would not like.

BUT, Blue Nile just happens to have some unusual ovals right now (with arrows) that you almost never see. They are so unique and right in your size, color, and clarity range. The largest I found is a .46 E VVS1- $1065. That would give you more budget for a ring with pave as well.

I’ll link them just in case you want to take a look.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469121 (.43 $915)

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469124 (.41 $801)

Hi @Swirl68 - how do you search for ovals with arrows? is there a certain parameter I need to put in?

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Ring2.jpg Ring1.JPG

I've finally received photos from WF :)

Can't wait to get them a month later!

I have requested more photos if possible, but haven't gotten any replies yet though.

Can't wait to see this beautiful piece of work in person from WF :)

Thank y'all for helping me out.

I will post more photos when I get them!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock

I have requested more photos if possible, but haven't gotten any replies yet though.

It's so beautiful, jhkim94! Congratulations in advance, and please let us know how everything turns out!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring2.jpg Ring1.JPG

It looks great! Classic and beautiful.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous! Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Come back and let us know how it goes (with pictures please :- ) ).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the 6 prong. That was the way to go. I hope your gf- intended loves it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just spectacular!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, looks amazing! Again congrats and job well done!!

Now comes the fun part of asking. And I mean that genuinely, as I believe we as guys don't buy a ring and plan to ask unless we really already know the answer.

Then before too long, fretting over the ring will be nothing but a distant memory. One day she will come in excited to have found the perfect wedding venue for $5k and THE most beautiful dress for $3k. You will quickly remember how you struggled with your purchase (not necessarily the monetary apsect), then take a sip of your Crown and Coke and with the calmest and most laid back smile, you simply tell her you know it's perfect because you get to marry her and she is the most beautiful girl in the world regardless what she does or doesn't wear.

Then you really do marry her and get to live your happily ever after with the girl you couldn't imagine your life without. Make some babies, or at least have fun trying. And build a life of love and memories.

And it all started because you slipped that gorgeous diamond on her finger.

Cheers mate -- may you have a long life of blessings and happiness!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
It looks gorgeous! Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Come back and let us know how it goes (with pictures please :- ) ).

Thank you so much :)
I will try to take as many pictures as I can haha :)
I hope you have a great day :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results