shape
carat
color
clarity

I have questions about the ring that I am currently doing monthly payment.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone you picked out will be absolutely gorgeous and is high quality all parameters. What is nice if you get an ACA if you want to upgrade the size in a few years you will be able to do so. My personal sweet spot is getting to a half carat, and going down to H and VS2, Si1. I think G, VS2 is very safe. But everyone has their own preferences. I was looking for a G SI1 in ACA inventory that was a little bigger but I couldn't find one for you.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
OP - my solitaire is a 0.41 super ideal (CBI not ACA, H color), in the exact same Ritani setting you’re planning on.
Here is a photo, size 5.5 for reference. I think it’s a lovely size and I definitely value the incredible cut over larger carat.

Attachments

• 7E27D872-FFD3-4727-87A9-8A893302421E.jpeg
    7E27D872-FFD3-4727-87A9-8A893302421E.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 43

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You did SO WELL!. It's going to be beautiful! Also, I have that exact same solitaire setting from Ritani in yellow gold AND I LOVE IT!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're going to be very happy with the WF diamond! You can't go wrong with ACA. My ring finger is size 5, and I have a .40 E/SI1 that is out of this world. I also have a .60 F/SI2 from Brian Gavin that is crazy gorgeous and eye-clean. So, don't be afraid in the future to look at SI2 stones from either Brian Gavin or WF.

My first diamond was a .30 heart-shaped D/IF, with an outstanding cut, and though it was awfully pretty, it was no whiter or no more sparkly than my E/SI1 and F/SI2. I just paid more than I needed to.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! It's elegant and just so perfect.

OP - my solitaire is a 0.41 super ideal (CBI not ACA, H color), in the exact same Ritani setting you’re planning on.
Here is a photo, size 5.5 for reference. I think it’s a lovely size and I definitely value the incredible cut over larger carat.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a student you get an A+ on your choice! It’s going to outshine any other ring you see!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you live in the US @jhkim94?
If so - what state?
You can drop colour and clarity considerably and not sacrifice sparkle... if you want to.
If she doesn’t have a preference, then her opinions will likely come to be formed by her surroundings over time.
That’s why I’m asking about her current surroundings (where you live) - a 0.4ct in New England is going to look small compared to most other rings she’ll see. In Denver it’d fit right in.

What is your cash budget?
You’re about to be whacked with student debt and you’re either entering the job force in the lowest pay band of your chosen career or continuing graduate/postgraduate studies on a minimal stipend - debt for luxury goods, even if a relatively small dollar value, is the last thing a student needs.
Consumers on this forum excel at finding astounding pieces in all budgets.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t go wrong with a beautiful, classical solitaire. Any extra ‘bling’ can be achieved with a diamond wedding band.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew -

Dang, girl, I love that ring!

And @jhkim94 - you could go a little bigger with NO clarity or color issues if you wanted. I always think it's nice to hit the half carat / 5mm mark, but .45ct is also a nice size.

I think the solitaire idea is the best way forward, but I might consider going just a tiny bit larger; if it's an ACA it's going to be gorgeous, so don't concern yourself with compromised clarity or sparkle. There is NO WAY something G - even H - or above in color won't look white at this size. And the light return wil be fabulous on ANY ACA, and any inclusions will be invisible. A D VVS2, while lovely, won't look any whiter at this size than anything in the colorless range (D, E or F), or any cleaner than anything SI1 or above.

To that end, I'd have gone with this diamond:

It's very white, very clean, perfectly cut for maximum performance and just a tad larger.

Just a thought and either way, I'm sure she's going to be blown away by your gift to her. :))

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @mrs-b ! I loved that diamond/ring.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent job!

The stone you bought is a super ideal with true hearts & arrow (H&A) symmetry. This caliber of stone comprises about 1% or less of the diamond market.

The stone has excellent proportions as you posted, and as you analyze the ASET image you will determine that proves superior light performance. Additionally the H&A images will confirm the symmetry. Lastly, the video will showcase your sparkle bomb.

You indicated you paid $1,764 for the ring, and then mention the Ritani setting. Am I correct to assume that price includes the setting? If so, the Ritani is about $245, which left around $1,519 for the actual diamond.

While you could probably drop the color and clarity requirements from a D VVS2 down to a G+ color and SI1+ clarity to help boost size a little I see the only option is the 0.45 F VS2 already posted.

You may get a smidge more spread because of the additional carat weight and slightly larger table but honestly I doubt if it will be a meaningful size difference. It takes most people about a 0.20mm variance to see a size difference with their eyes.

That said, the F VS2 is about a $100 cheaper. However, I do prefer high color and clarity stones and while the D VVS2 is overkill for a stone this size, it's a small dollar amount if in your brain you have concluded that is the best.

So I do like this choice quite well actually. A few other factors I think work well in your favor. Since your girl didn't say what she wanted specifically, an ideal cut round stone in a classic solitaire is a pretty safe choice. Also, with WF you have a splendid upgrade program to grow as your life and income changes. Even the Ritani is part of their designer band collection that I believe is eligible for 50% upgrade. Not as generous as their diamond upgrade program but no other vendor offers such a program for the setting.

You really did a great job picking and while you may have splurged a few dollars I think you prioritized important factors that you and your girl will appreciate, with the #1 factor being a superior cut!

Congratulations!! :clap:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job. It’s going to look beautiful.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
There is this one that scores a 1.4 but honestly you dont have to run an ACA through the HCA tool, ACA's wont get that title if they were subpar (even the expert selection is gorgeous)

Can you post a link to the stone you picked that way we can compare the sizes and see if it would even be worth looking.

But honestly I would ask to see your current pick next to these two and see what you think, dont be scared of the inclusions but do ask them if they are eye clean (even though they say they are it is still best to ask)

You can also ask if WF has a discount for PS members (I do believe they were giving a $100 discount at one time)

Thank you for the links!
Sorry that I got back late, the link to my stone is
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4146190.htm
I just wanted to check through HCA tool :).
Is it possible that as time passes, inclusions that are now now shown (since it is eyeclean) can be seen by naked eyes?
They told me $100 discount is only to who buys over $2000 :)
I will compare the diamonds that you suggested me with the one that I am paying for:)
Thank you for your time!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
oh i love solitaires

you know there is a thread (and im sorry i dont know how to link to another thread) that's on here called under 1 ct diamonds

it might put your mind at ease a bit about the size issue

you don't need a big rock to say i love you
Thank you for your reply :)

I love solitaires too :)

Thank you for letting me know about other thread.

Just am nervous about everything since it is my first time buying the engagement ring (hopefully my last lol).

Just hoping that she loves it :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
You can't compare ACA to those garbages from Zales :knockout:. Congrats on your beautiful ACA stone. :clap:
Thank you for your reply,

I haven't seen a good quality diamond next to Zales or other retailers yet, so I am super nervous! haha

Thank you!!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
A WF ACA is an awesome choice, but I’m just going to throw out an out of the box suggestion here.

Have you ever considered an oval? They seem to be pretty popular right now and with their elongated shape can give the illusion of more finger coverage. (Especially if you get one with a good spread.)

It’s true that lot of the time ovals are full of mushy areas which I know you would not like.

BUT, Blue Nile just happens to have some unusual ovals right now (with arrows) that you almost never see. They are so unique and right in your size, color, and clarity range. The largest I found is a .46 E VVS1- $1065. That would give you more budget for a ring with pave as well.

I’ll link them just in case you want to take a look.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469121 (.43 $915)

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469124 (.41 $801)

Oval, my girlfriend said she doesn't like how it looks :(.

When me and her went to MissA shop, she was just playing with the ring and she saw Oval one and

she said since her hand is short, it looks too much :(

But, thank you for your suggestions and your time :) I really appreciate it

Hope you have a great day ! : )

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Also, compare ovals to rounds by size in mm. They have a larger spread.

But, BN does not have as generous an upgrade policy or sell super ideals. So, consider all sides.

I am going to stick with round shape :)

Thank you :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think you found a great diamond.:kiss2: ACAmazing.

And since your FI didn't give you any direction I am even more impressed. At all the research you did to find a beautiful diamond. Nicely done.

And IIRC WF has an upgrade policy so if down the road, when you guys are no longer students, if you decide you want a bigger diamond you can do that through WF. Though the diamond is gorgeous and there is no need to upgrade if your DW (which she will be at that time) is still over the moon happy with the stone/ring.

I agree going with a solitaire since your FI didn't share her preferences. You cannot go wrong with a classic solitaire.

Congrats and please come back and share hand shots once you are engaged. :appl:

Thank you for your reply!

I had to search for couple of months :) Which was worth it.

Hopefully she loves the ring and diamond :)

I would love to upgrade it for her later, but she used to say that she will keep the engagement ring

forever unless something happens :)

Even though I prefer pave setting, I have no idea whether she likes it or not, so I chose solitaire.

She is kinda picky haha I am so scared :)

I will post the ring as soon as I get it even before proposing to her and of course after too :)

Thank you for your time and your message, hope you have a wonderful day !

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
WF was a great choice! Here was my old .4ct D VVS1 from WF on a size 7.5

Looks beautiful !

The one that I bought is 4 prong one, but I love 6 prong too :)

Thank you for sharing your photos with me :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Excellent job!

The stone you bought is a super ideal with true hearts & arrow (H&A) symmetry. This caliber of stone comprises about 1% or less of the diamond market.

The stone has excellent proportions as you posted, and as you analyze the ASET image you will determine that proves superior light performance. Additionally the H&A images will confirm the symmetry. Lastly, the video will showcase your sparkle bomb.

You indicated you paid $1,764 for the ring, and then mention the Ritani setting. Am I correct to assume that price includes the setting? If so, the Ritani is about $245, which left around $1,519 for the actual diamond.

While you could probably drop the color and clarity requirements from a D VVS2 down to a G+ color and SI1+ clarity to help boost size a little I see the only option is the 0.45 F VS2 already posted.

You may get a smidge more spread because of the additional carat weight and slightly larger table but honestly I doubt if it will be a meaningful size difference. It takes most people about a 0.20mm variance to see a size difference with their eyes.

That said, the F VS2 is about a $100 cheaper. However, I do prefer high color and clarity stones and while the D VVS2 is overkill for a stone this size, it's a small dollar amount if in your brain you have concluded that is the best.

So I do like this choice quite well actually. A few other factors I think work well in your favor. Since your girl didn't say what she wanted specifically, an ideal cut round stone in a classic solitaire is a pretty safe choice. Also, with WF you have a splendid upgrade program to grow as your life and income changes. Even the Ritani is part of their designer band collection that I believe is eligible for 50% upgrade. Not as generous as their diamond upgrade program but no other vendor offers such a program for the setting.

You really did a great job picking and while you may have splurged a few dollars I think you prioritized important factors that you and your girl will appreciate, with the #1 factor being a superior cut!

Congratulations!! :clap:

Hopefully it shines like a star :)

I paid $1764 including the setting, $245 + $1395 + tax.

I am also kind of picky with choosing stuff so I had to search for few months before getting the

engagement ring. I looked at so many videos and articles about diamond and the conclusion I

made was that I want DEF, VVS2-VS2 stone :) but if it is around $150 difference, I would just get

the better grade one. Also since my gf didn't tell me about her preferences so much, I wanted to get

the best ones that I can get so that she doesn't complain later :)

Of course I noticed that in US, most people tend to prefer big sized

carat than high clarity ones (under 1 carat) (I heard that in South Korea, people

tend to prefer high clarity). I also wanted to get 0.5 carat sized one but with my budget,

it was impossible to find one from WF :)

I just hope that my gf likes it and honestly shines crazy enough to make other woman's ring look

milky lol.

Again, thank you for your reply and I hope you have a great day. :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think the stone you picked out will be absolutely gorgeous and is high quality all parameters. What is nice if you get an ACA if you want to upgrade the size in a few years you will be able to do so. My personal sweet spot is getting to a half carat, and going down to H and VS2, Si1. I think G, VS2 is very safe. But everyone has their own preferences. I was looking for a G SI1 in ACA inventory that was a little bigger but I couldn't find one for you.

I also wanted to get a half carat too :0 but I couldn't find one so I chose 0.412 one :)

I was feeling stressed out when I was looking and searching for the perfect diamond

that satisfies me lol (Thought that if I am not satisfied, who will be! haha)

Thank you for spending your valuable time trying to help me :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock

It looks gorgeous :) Now I am little bit more confident with my ring haha.

Hopefully, mine comes out like yours.

Thank you for sharing your photo with me :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
You did SO WELL!. It's going to be beautiful! Also, I have that exact same solitaire setting from Ritani in yellow gold AND I LOVE IT!

I hope so too :) Hopefully it (my time spent on searching for this ring) pays off lol

Thank you again and I hope you have a great day :)

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think you're going to be very happy with the WF diamond! You can't go wrong with ACA. My ring finger is size 5, and I have a .40 E/SI1 that is out of this world. I also have a .60 F/SI2 from Brian Gavin that is crazy gorgeous and eye-clean. So, don't be afraid in the future to look at SI2 stones from either Brian Gavin or WF.

My first diamond was a .30 heart-shaped D/IF, with an outstanding cut, and though it was awfully pretty, it was no whiter or no more sparkly than my E/SI1 and F/SI2. I just paid more than I needed to.

In the future, I will try to lower my grade to get a bigger stone like you said :)

and wow! .30 heart shaped D/IF must been really pretty :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with me :)

I hope you have a wonderful day.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
For a student you get an A+ on your choice! It’s going to outshine any other ring you see!

WOW :) Never got an A+ in my life hahahaha. Thank you for your compliment :))

Thank you so much !!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Do you live in the US @jhkim94?
If so - what state?
You can drop colour and clarity considerably and not sacrifice sparkle... if you want to.
If she doesn’t have a preference, then her opinions will likely come to be formed by her surroundings over time.
That’s why I’m asking about her current surroundings (where you live) - a 0.4ct in New England is going to look small compared to most other rings she’ll see. In Denver it’d fit right in.

What is your cash budget?
You’re about to be whacked with student debt and you’re either entering the job force in the lowest pay band of your chosen career or continuing graduate/postgraduate studies on a minimal stipend - debt for luxury goods, even if a relatively small dollar value, is the last thing a student needs.
Consumers on this forum excel at finding astounding pieces in all budgets.

I am currently living in Texas :)

I know that carat size matters and noticed that US does tend to prefer bigger carats

than high clarity ones, but the reason I got the ring from WF was because

they have generous upgrade policy :) My cash budget is $1800.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
You can’t go wrong with a beautiful, classical solitaire. Any extra ‘bling’ can be achieved with a diamond wedding band.
Thank you for your reply:)

Hopefully my girlfriend likes it :)

I am planning to get a wedding band when I actually get married (probably with a new ring) :)

Thank you!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
@Wewechew -

Dang, girl, I love that ring!

And @jhkim94 - you could go a little bigger with NO clarity or color issues if you wanted. I always think it's nice to hit the half carat / 5mm mark, but .45ct is also a nice size.

I think the solitaire idea is the best way forward, but I might consider going just a tiny bit larger; if it's an ACA it's going to be gorgeous, so don't concern yourself with compromised clarity or sparkle. There is NO WAY something G - even H - or above in color won't look white at this size. And the light return wil be fabulous on ANY ACA, and any inclusions will be invisible. A D VVS2, while lovely, won't look any whiter at this size than anything in the colorless range (D, E or F), or any cleaner than anything SI1 or above.

To that end, I'd have gone with this diamond:

It's very white, very clean, perfectly cut for maximum performance and just a tad larger.

Just a thought and either way, I'm sure she's going to be blown away by your gift to her. :))

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Thank you for your reply !

I want to go to the actual diamond shop and look for myself to make me confident,

but since I can't, I am super worried about it :) but I will compare with the one that

I bought with your suggestion :)

Thank you for your valuable time! hope you have a nice day :)

amoline

Shiny_Rock
You've got absolutely nothing to worry about. It'll be great.

Off topic, not sure why your name has the trade badge on it, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results