shape
carat
color
clarity

I have questions about the ring that I am currently doing monthly payment.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I recently started paying for the engagement ring which was $1764.
I bought it from Whiteflash and its 0.412 carat.
It scored 1.2 on HCA ,
The diamond spec is
DIAMOND PERFORMANCE

Cut Ideal
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Eye-Clean Yes
Culet Pointed

DIAMOND SPECIFICATIONS

Depth % 61.7
Table % 56.0
Crown Angle 34.8
Star % 51.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.2
Lower Girdle % 77.0

with color grade D, VVS2. with pinpoint, needle. The ring is 14k White Gold Ritani 1RZ7295 Six-Prong Knife-Edge Solitaire Engagement Ring.

So my question is will it have maximum sparkle, brilliance and worth of money? It's my first time buying such a expensive ring so I am really nervous about everything (Student :))

and the carat size is kind of small so I am really nervous about that too. My girlfriend's hand size is US5. If

anyone with that size and wearing around 0.412 carat, please post me some pictures!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Undoubtedly it twill be beautiful. Also if it’s an ACA, it will qualify for Whiteflash’s generous upgrade policy.

Is there a cultural reason why you went with the highest color and super high clarity? If so, great.

If you just thought it has to be D/IF or VVS to sparkle, worry no more. In an ACA, you could easily Drop down to F color and VS or (eyeclean) SI clarity. WF ACAs are sparklebombs.

Or, get her this one and upgrade in a year or two if she hints that she would have liked it a bit larger. The stone, I mean.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Ringo865 that sparkle is not from high clarity or color grade.
It's from cut, and an ACA is one of the best-cut diamonds for light performance.
Plus, for me Whiteflash has been a joy to deal with.

Now you know that you can lower those two grades to get a larger stone - but it's also okay if you don't want to.
There's nothing wrong with just wanting and appreciating high color and clarity, but ONLY AFTER you understand and accept Cut is King and you'll get a smaller stone for your budget.

I don't have a "cultural reason" for paying for higher clarity and color than I can see.
I just valued and wanted it.

Even then, there are people who feel more comfortable with a lower-carat stone, either for security reasons or they work with their hands a lot.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Undoubtedly it twill be beautiful. Also if it’s an ACA, it will qualify for Whiteflash’s generous upgrade policy.

Is there a cultural reason why you went with the highest color and super high clarity? If so, great.

If you just thought it has to be D/IF or VVS to sparkle, worry no more. In an ACA, you could easily Drop down to F color and VS or (eyeclean) SI clarity. WF ACAs are sparklebombs.

Or, get her this one and upgrade in a year or two if she hints that she would have liked it a bit larger. The stone, I mean.
Thank you for your reply,
It is an ACA and the reason why I got highest color and super high clarity is because I saw my friend's

ring which was from zales and I could kind of see the inclusions with my eyes and also the color was

kind of milky(?). I did not want my gf's ring to look like that so I wanted it to be as sparkle as possible

and also super clean. I know that IF grade is just too much so I lowered it to VVS2.

Also I couldn't go a lot higher(carat) with my budget so I just chose 0.412 ct one from WF.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I agree with Ringo865 that sparkle is not from high clarity or color grade.
It's from cut, and an ACA is one of the best-cut diamonds for light performance.
Plus, for me Whiteflash has been a joy to deal with.

Now you know that you can lower those two grades to get a larger stone - but it's also okay if you don't want to.
There's nothing wrong with just wanting and appreciating high color and clarity, but ONLY AFTER you understand and accept Cut is King and you'll get a smaller stone for your budget.

I don't have a "cultural reason" for paying for higher clarity and color than I can see.
I just valued and wanted it.

Even then, there are people who feel more comfortable with a lower-carat stone, either for security reasons or they work with their hands a lot.
First of all, thank you for your reply.

I did research about diamond and I know that cut is the king out of 4C's so I chose WF ACA.

I was just afraid of the inclusions with cloud (which I commonly saw when I lowered the grade) that it

affects diamond's brilliance and sparkle. That's one of the reason why I went with VVS2 grade. When

I

was searching with my budget, I could choose between 0.435ct and 0.412 ct, 0.448 ct. 0.435ct,

0.448ct had cloud inclusion, so I ended up buying the one with needle and pinpoint. I wanted to get

bigger carat ones, but just after seeing Zales,Fred Meyer's diamond ring, I thought bigger carat

doesn't mean the best. I don't know why but inclusions makes me really nervous.. there was no

cultural reason for me to choose high clarity and color but just didn't want milky looking and not so

clean looking diamond for my gf. :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trust me when I say that a White Flash ACA would never look anything like the frozen spit that Zales' sells as diamonds! You did good. Congratulations!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Trust me when I say that a White Flash ACA would never look anything like the frozen spit that Zales' sells as diamonds! You did good. Congratulations!

Haha, their carat size was pretty bigger than the one that I bought, but hopefully mine looks better

although it is smaller.

Their setting was either Halo or Pave so I am kind of scared that mine would look really plain compare

to them :(

I could have gotten carat size around 0.70 with Pave setting from Zales, but just didn't look attractive

at all with their I2 clarity grade from IGI lab(I think).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
congradulations on your engagment
im sure your GF will appreate all the thought and research you put into choosing her ring
i don't think it's too small (possibly cultural reasons - i don't know anyone with a really large ER in my circle - not that i would say no)

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I recently started paying for the engagement ring which was $1764.
I bought it from Whiteflash and its 0.412

Has she expressed to you what kind of ring she likes for you to be concerned?
I think size is a preference thing. Some people love daintier jewellery. I think it will look beautiful!
What kind of setting are you getting?
I don’t have that size but these are two examples from another site so you have an idea of that size on a finger. The yellow gold is holding a 0.40ct, not sure of finger size. The white gold setting is holding a 0.43ct on a size 6.25 finger.

Attachments

• D9C4C9D7-5CFC-4365-8B3A-8B02AD43D709.jpeg
    D9C4C9D7-5CFC-4365-8B3A-8B02AD43D709.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 81
  • BCE06BB5-8843-4347-8C72-25DD0CFF1C65.jpeg
    BCE06BB5-8843-4347-8C72-25DD0CFF1C65.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 78

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your diamond will definitely look better but if you want us to help give different options in your price range for the diamond, please let us know and there will be many people ready to assist as we just love spending other peoples money :lol: but even more so than that we love helping others find the best deal and specs that hard earned money can buy.

The issue with your friends stone is that is most likely isn't the best of the best and WF exceeds at doing just that. You most likely could drop down to even a G if you still want that nice white color and possibly even an eye clean SI1 (many of use here have SI's (clarity) that are completely eye clean. My own diamond is one of those and I was shocked it wasn't a VS but I am very happy with it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha, their carat size was pretty bigger than the one that I bought, but hopefully mine looks better

although it is smaller.

Their setting was either Halo or Pave so I am kind of scared that mine would look really plain compare

to them :(

I could have gotten carat size around 0.70 with Pave setting from Zales, but just didn't look attractive

at all with their I2 clarity grade from IGI lab(I think).

I don't think all the halos in the world can make a piece of frozen spit shine. If anything, the superior cut & clarity of your diamond will make it look bigger than it is.

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Has she expressed to you what kind of ring she likes for you to be concerned?
I think size is a preference thing. Some people love daintier jewellery. I think it will look beautiful!
What kind of setting are you getting?
I don’t have that size but these are two examples from another site so you have an idea of that size on a finger. The yellow gold is holding a 0.40ct, not sure of finger size. The white gold setting is holding a 0.43ct on a size 6.25 finger.

She told anything I get for her will be her preference ring :)..

It is really hard for me to just get it when I don't know what kind of style she wants :( Just hoping that

she doesn't hate it :)..

Thank you for the photos that you posted :)

Her hand size is 5 so I think it won't look to small with her hand !

By the way, the one that I am getting is solitaire style ring.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

It is really hard for me to just get it when I don't know what kind of style she wants :( Just hoping that

I think she will love it! Don’t stress about that. It will look classic and timeless in a solitaire setting :) come back and show us once you have it!

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
Your diamond will definitely look better but if you want us to help give different options in your price range for the diamond, please let us know and there will be many people ready to assist as we just love spending other peoples money :lol: but even more so than that we love helping others find the best deal and specs that hard earned money can buy.

The issue with your friends stone is that is most likely isn't the best of the best and WF exceeds at doing just that. You most likely could drop down to even a G if you still want that nice white color and possibly even an eye clean SI1 (many of use here have SI's (clarity) that are completely eye clean. My own diamond is one of those and I was shocked it wasn't a VS but I am very happy with it.

My price range is just maximum $1800 including tax :) (Since I am just a college student, my budget is

limited, still have to eat only ramen for a whole month lol).

I don't want it to go below VS2 and F though :) , just my preference.

My preference is Pave setting, but if I get the Pave setting, Diamond size goes really small like 0.32 ct

so I was really stressed out about it :(.

I didn't know that choosing engagement ring by myself would be this stressful haha.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think if she's given you no pointers on what she prefers, you have started off very well by getting an ACA for her - the cut will guarantee sparkle and they have a very good trade in program if it turns out she does want bigger (but didn't tell you or even know it herself). With a tight budget, putting as much into the stone and less into the setting is a good idea. You could always upgrade her setting for an anniversary.
The Zales stone your friend had isn't anywhere near the quality of this stone so if you really are worried about her thinking what you have got her is too small, you could easily go to an F or G and drop to a VS1/2 clarity.
Whiteflash cut and vet their ACAs to be the best and total sparklebombs so you will not get milky clouds or visible inclusions in any ACA that is stated eyeclean.

Last edited:

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think she will love it! Don’t stress about that. It will look classic and timeless in a solitaire setting :) come back and show us once you have it!
Thank you, they are going to send it to me around early December (90days flex plan) so I will post it

when I get it :) (even before showing it to my gf lol :)) )

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I think if she's given you no pointers on what she prefers, you have started off very well by getting an ACA for her - the cut will guarantee sparkle and they have a very good trade in program if it turns out she does want bigger (but didn't tell you or even know it herself).
The Zales stone your friend had isn't anywhere near the quality of this stone so if you really are worried about her thinking what you have got her is too small, you could easily go to an F or G and drop to a VS1/2 clarity.
Whiteflash cut and vet their ACAs to be the best and total sparklebombs so you will not get milky clouds or visible inclusions in any ACA that is stated eyeclean.

Thank you for your reply :0

It took me a while to find a good place like WF haha.

Hopefully, she would be satisfied with small engagement ring :) (She is a student too!)

I searched for bigger carat ones but those ones always had cloud(inclusion) and I heard cloud affects

diamond to be not sparkly as it should be. That is why I was afraid of getting it, but is it true that if the

vendors say it is eyeclean, people cannot notice the inclusions like cloud ?

If my gf says that she want bigger one, I will lower my grade and get bigger one, but is there any

inclusions that I must avoid?

jhkim94

Rough_Rock
I would get the largest stone with the specs you want and not worry about a pave setting.

I would stick with the planned solitaire. It's very classic..
Thank you for your reply!

I am going to stick with planned solitaire like you said

because I don't know what kind of style she wants :) I think classic ones never fail !

This was the biggest one among my choice with the spec that I was thinking :)

I wanted to go near 0.5ct but sadly, it was way over my budget :(

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is this one that scores a 1.4 but honestly you dont have to run an ACA through the HCA tool, ACA's wont get that title if they were subpar (even the expert selection is gorgeous)

Can you post a link to the stone you picked that way we can compare the sizes and see if it would even be worth looking.

But honestly I would ask to see your current pick next to these two and see what you think, dont be scared of the inclusions but do ask them if they are eye clean (even though they say they are it is still best to ask)

You can also ask if WF has a discount for PS members (I do believe they were giving a $100 discount at one time)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh i love solitaires

you know there is a thread (and im sorry i dont know how to link to another thread) that's on here called under 1 ct diamonds

it might put your mind at ease a bit about the size issue

you don't need a big rock to say i love you

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is an ACA and the reason why I got highest color and super high clarity is because I saw my friend's

ring which was from zales and I could kind of see the inclusions with my eyes and also the color was
You can't compare ACA to those garbages from Zales :knockout:. Congrats on your beautiful ACA stone. :clap:

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
A WF ACA is an awesome choice, but I’m just going to throw out an out of the box suggestion here.

Have you ever considered an oval? They seem to be pretty popular right now and with their elongated shape can give the illusion of more finger coverage. (Especially if you get one with a good spread.)

It’s true that lot of the time ovals are full of mushy areas which I know you would not like.

BUT, Blue Nile just happens to have some unusual ovals right now (with arrows) that you almost never see. They are so unique and right in your size, color, and clarity range. The largest I found is a .46 E VVS1- $1065. That would give you more budget for a ring with pave as well.

I’ll link them just in case you want to take a look.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469121 (.43 $915)

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12469124 (.41 $801)

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, compare ovals to rounds by size in mm. They have a larger spread.

But, BN does not have as generous an upgrade policy or sell super ideals. So, consider all sides.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you found a great diamond.:kiss2: ACAmazing.

And since your FI didn't give you any direction I am even more impressed. At all the research you did to find a beautiful diamond. Nicely done.

And IIRC WF has an upgrade policy so if down the road, when you guys are no longer students, if you decide you want a bigger diamond you can do that through WF. Though the diamond is gorgeous and there is no need to upgrade if your DW (which she will be at that time) is still over the moon happy with the stone/ring.

I agree going with a solitaire since your FI didn't share her preferences. You cannot go wrong with a classic solitaire.

Congrats and please come back and share hand shots once you are engaged. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh i love solitaires

you know there is a thread (and im sorry i dont know how to link to another thread) that's on here called under 1 ct diamonds

it might put your mind at ease a bit about the size issue

you don't need a big rock to say i love you

Is this the thread @Daisys and Diamonds ?

And Amen to not needing a big rock to say I love you. No. Rather all the hard work and research and effort you put into finding your FI her dream stone says it all @jhkim94 :love:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF was a great choice! Here was my old .4ct D VVS1 from WF on a size 7.5

Attachments

• FF15FB91-9100-470B-8488-A122094827FD.jpeg
    FF15FB91-9100-470B-8488-A122094827FD.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BDA278EC-4608-4D63-B7AA-AB21A6D96D81.jpeg
    BDA278EC-4608-4D63-B7AA-AB21A6D96D81.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • 8611F274-6886-4F7F-A64E-4723E8FDA5A9.jpeg