shape
carat
color
clarity

I Have Jade Confusion: "Apple" Green vs "Imperial" Green

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
When I search Apple green, I get everything from a gray white with a touch of green to fresh grass. Imperial green pieces look almost black and some are lighter than the apple green jades!

When a sapphire is royal blue, there is a pretty clear expectation of a deep vivid blue, but jade has me lost. I want a nice carving of my Zodiac animal (a monkey), but before I invest, I really need some advice from you guys on what to look for when it comes to jade color. I personally like the ones that are on the darker side. When it looks like a good tsavo, that's usually what I like.

This buddha is being marketed by That Asian Guy (the actual name of the store) as imperial green, but it's lighter than many apple greens.

1611127243564.png 1611127291702.png

This apple green carving (Ascher jewellry) seems too light. Shouldn't apple green be similar to a granny smith apple?
1611127439392.png

Unfortunately the pieces that do have the color I want like this one by coregems are carved into traditional leaves or cabs:

1611126932155.png 1611126984620.png

I'm a bit confused because it looks apple green in this pic...

1611127117373.png

But that piece is seriously nice and I'm tempted to give up on the Zodiac idea because that's the color I love. I'd have to get it reset though since its a bit feminine. Also have you guys heard about the Hong kong lab? Is it okay? I would probably want IGI or GIA.

The
monkey carvings are mostly lower quality:
1611126821426.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giant can of worms!

Even royal blue for sapphire is not truly standardized and different respected labs call different things royal blue (or, generally, make no determination at all). Lotus is different from GRS is different from Dunaigre, in my (limited) experience.

Jadeite is even worse and sellers are perhaps even less scrupulous.

There is virtually zero true Imperial Jade available for purchase and it is out-of-sight expensive.

There are ads everywhere touting Imperial Jade. And royal blue sapphire. Almost 100% are bogus. Well, a handful of the sapphire ads may be correct.

What you need is an excellent no-questions-asked return policy, and try to avoid international purchases. You also need a reputable report confirming no dye or impregnation.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Giant can of worms!

Even royal blue for sapphire is not truly standardized and different respected labs call different things royal blue (or, generally, make no determination at all). Lotus is different from GRS is different from Dunaigre, in my (limited) experience.

Jadeite is even worse and sellers are perhaps even less scrupulous.

There is virtually zero true Imperial Jade available for purchase and it is out-of-sight expensive.

There are ads everywhere touting Imperial Jade. And royal blue sapphire. Almost 100% are bogus. Well, a handful of the sapphire ads may be correct.

What you need is an excellent no-questions-asked return policy, and try to avoid international purchases. You also need a reputable report confirming no dye or impregnation.

Ya that's what worries me. the one I like from coregems has a report from Hong kong stone jade lab but I would expect GIA or IGI for that price. I'll message them tomorrow because nice color doesn't mean anything if its treated

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of the hong kong labs are very good for jade, I forget which ones. Probably what you like about the leaf is actually the texture -- its the only one of the three that is actually transparent. Its actually the texture (along with the colour but really I think the colour is almost secondary) that sets the price. There is a thread here called specific gravity of type b jadite (and another called all about jade). I think maybe read them before buying to get a better picture on pricing.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hong Kong Stone and Jade Lab is very reputable. The major auction houses use them to certify their really high end jade pieces in their HK auctions.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True Imperial green Jade is extremely rare and extremely expensive ie tens, even hundreds of thousands a carat. Sotheby’s has sold such Jade pieces for millions.
so be very wary of anyone suggesting their Jade is “imperial green”.
Buy the colour that speaks to you but only buy from reputable vendors. Even Sotheby’s has been caught out with a piece of Jade that had been treated. Given the prices that super fine Jade can command, it’s no wonder some people get very cunning and creative.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Hong Kong Stone and Jade Lab is very reputable. The major auction houses use them to certify their really high end jade pieces in their HK auctions.

Really?! I thought it was similar to those Chinese labs. What do you think about this peace by coregems its the only with the hong kong lab? I like the color its the only one close to imperial green from what I've seen. thanks in advance peter

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Some of the hong kong labs are very good for jade, I forget which ones. Probably what you like about the leaf is actually the texture -- its the only one of the three that is actually transparent. Its actually the texture (along with the colour but really I think the colour is almost secondary) that sets the price. There is a thread here called specific gravity of type b jadite (and another called all about jade). I think maybe read them before buying to get a better picture on pricing.

Thanks! I can't find the threads, do you have a link? ya your right about the transparency and only the leaf one by coregems looks like it has it. I msged him and he says his price is lower because he buys in "Kachin State" and when i google that it says it's in Burma. he's also giving me 60 days with free return shipping my only concern at this point is the price. His lowest is $2,500.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I can't find the threads, do you have a link? ya your right about the transparency and only the leaf one by coregems looks like it has it. I msged him and he says his price is lower because he buys in "Kachin State" and when i google that it says it's in Burma. he's also giving me 60 days with free return shipping my only concern at this point is the price. His lowest is $2,500.

No worries. I strongly recommend reading the threads on this topic before buying though, as Jade is difficult to buy.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

No worries. I strongly recommend reading the threads on this topic before buying though, as Jade is difficult to buy.

Thank you! I definately will! My uncle is a chemistry prof, so he can help me out with testing! I forwarded him the link for the thread! based on everything I've seen the coregems with the hong kong lab seems to be the real deal as in untreated/class A

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really?! I thought it was similar to those Chinese labs. What do you think about this peace by coregems its the only with the hong kong lab? I like the color its the only one close to imperial green from what I've seen. thanks in advance peter

The stone would certainly seem to be Type A. I'm no expert but it does seem to be a little dull, and not as glowy or as translucent (water content?) as some of the better examples I've seen.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I think 2500 usd is a bit too much for a piece like this. 2 mm is not thick. And I agree colour is not glowy. It has water but from the video, the green is just not lively. In the sun, even a certain type of jet black jadeite will glow green.

I don't know if the vendor really buys the jadeite and then gets it carved in China for lower costs.

This does look like a standard piece that I would buy from an FB show at not more than 500 usd? In fact, it reminds me of the bargain bin pieces that I used to look out for when I first started on my journey at Jasmine Jadeite, for the usual 388 usd. Like this one here:

1611954682511.png

This piece above is usd 388, and do you see, the setting style is similar? Very little diamonds, because these are bargain pieces for reasons such as thinness or maybe veins. Typically, these pieces are set with a metal backing (封底) to hide defects and inclusions and give the illusion of a bright green. The pendant that you like exhibits these features.

Check the cert of the piece you like - it says green. This lab will state imperial green if it is imperial green.

And it is 18.43 mm but if you look at the picture clearly, the one where the pendant is resting on the hand, the pendant is only 2 fingers high, including the cabochon at the top. A lesson I learnt is that these pieces look big and when they arrive, they are tiny (oh erm, yes, I do like larger pieces so it is all subjective).

Check where the 18.43 mm begins and ends and whether you would be happy with that size.

All these pendants here are 388 usd and I think Jasmine posts periodically all her bargains.

Last edited:

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I think 2500 usd is a bit too much for a piece like this. 2 mm is not thick. And I agree colour is not glowy. It has water but from the video, the green is just not lively. In the sun, even a certain type of jet black jadeite will glow green.

I don't know if the vendor really buys the jadeite and then gets it carved in China for lower costs.

This does look like a standard piece that I would buy from an FB show at not more than 500 usd? In fact, it reminds me of the bargain bin pieces that I used to look out for when I first started on my journey at Jasmine Jadeite, for the usual 388 usd. Like this one here:

1611954682511.png

This piece above is usd 388, and do you see, the setting style is similar? Very little diamonds, because these are bargain pieces for reasons such as thinness or maybe veins. Typically, these pieces are set with a metal backing (封底) to hide defects and inclusions and give the illusion of a bright green. The pendant that you like exhibits these features.

Check the cert of the piece you like - it says green. This lab will state imperial green if it is imperial green.

And it is 18.43 mm but if you look at the picture clearly, the one where the pendant is resting on the hand, the pendant is only 2 fingers high, including the cabochon at the top. A lesson I learnt is that these pieces look big and when they arrive, they are tiny (oh erm, yes, I do like larger pieces so it is all subjective).

Check where the 18.43 mm begins and ends and whether you would be happy with that size.

All these pendants here are 388 usd and I think Jasmine posts periodically all her bargains.

Thanks for your advice. I still think it's a nice piece and better than the Facebook pieces, but after looking at those wholesale pieces, I think max 750-1250 is reasonable and the seller won't come that low! I will be passing and looking for a true imperial jade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results