shape
carat
color
clarity

I had an I diamond appraised today, and was told that it was a K.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 4:46:36 PM
Author: Harriet
The stone is going to David Atlas in Philly tomorrow.
good plan, Dave will get to the bottom of it.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
lots of pser''s use DA. i don''t think i''d think twice about it.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i just got an appraisal by Dave Atlas, well AGA, Chris did the actual appraisal, and it was a dead on match to the GIA cert, which they didnt get to see.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope so. Can anyone help me find a plan B stone?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet - I almost hate to ask this question, but if Dave appraises the stone at (or even above) the color on the certificate, is it still "tainted" for you or will you be OK with it?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 4:51:38 PM
Author: avlis
i just got an appraisal by Dave Atlas, well AGA, Chris did the actual appraisal, and it was a dead on match to the GIA cert, which they didnt get to see.
same here. i wanted to make sure so i checked my emails to confirm before i posted it. but, yes Chris with DA did my appraisal. loved working with him. very prompt and answered all of my questions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 4:49:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about David Atlas? WF picked him, so I''m not sure if there''s a confilict of interest.
Dave is very highly regarded on this forum...he also assists consumers on here all the time. He''s an independent appraiser and does not work for WF, he works for you. But he IS familiar with WF stones and I would hands down trust him with any of my stones or purchases.

Good luck!! And don''t freak out yet.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 4:49:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about David Atlas? WF picked him, so I''m not sure if there''s a confilict of interest.
if your paying him then i dont see a problem.
I trust him.
If you read up on him and his credentuals I think you will see he is a good choice.
If your more comfortable with someone else check out the ones I listed.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't answer that yet.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF is paying him.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
may i ask what were the circumstances that you showed it to the appraiser who said K. Was he thinking possibly you were wanting to sell it to him and he was lowballing for good measure so as not to take a loss should the grading not come out as favorable.. although from an I to a K is a little bit of a jump... could it be the stone was dirty from having been in a setting?

also just a thought, i'm not very familiar with AGS grading but maybe (especially with highly brilliant ideal cuts) AGS gives a little more weight to "face-up" color than "face down" viewing which is more of the norm in GIA (although i think officially GIA says they judge based on both whatever that means... all their color scales always have the stones face down from what i've seen...) and being that it was a very nice cut it increased the "face up" color grade.. but still a K to an I is a little hard to imagine.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 4:56:31 PM
WF is paying him.
pay him yourself and wf can pay you back.
it wont effect his opinion either way but it looks better.
no slam on either wf or Dave but them handing the money to him doesnt pass the oder test.
in reallity there will be no games played either way but its better to keep it above board apearance wise.
{im putting this badly ,, pain meds kicking in}

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. James Allen has a smaller one that I''d consider.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is (was?) a stone I''m seriously considering buying. The appraiser is a third party. The stone was loose.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get well soon!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have used David''s company, and trust him 100%. But I do see what Storm is saying. I''d rather you pay him, and then go from there. Having WF pay him isn''t what I would want either. They can always reimburse you later. But that''s how I would do it... JMHO. And I trust WF 100% as well. Have bought from them twice!!!!
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t believe an AGS stone is graded two color grades off. I have to wonder about the appraiser. The only bad thing is if Dave Atlas reads this thread..he''ll already know the color grade given the stone. I would tend to trust WF and AGS on this one, but if you decide to look further, I''d call Jonathan at Good Old Gold. He uses a colorimeter to check stones color if you ask. He can access stones not listed on his site, so you need to call him if you decide to look at other stones. I''d probably not go under H in a stone that large since larger stones will show more color.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it possible AGS is mistaken?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not concerned with Dave knowing the ags grade.
if needed he can arrange a double blind report using his staff or another appraiser but I dont see the need.
just make sure your the client not wf to keep any appearace of taint off it.
under the law the appraiser is working for the one paying and that needs to be you.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
I am surprised by the comments about David Wolf. I have spoken with him and he seemed reliable and independant to me. In fact I am sure that David Atlas recommended him on a PS thread.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:27:05 PM
possible but not likely..Brian also graded the stone he wouldn''t put his name on it if he didn''t think it was right.
spectral2000 results are nice in these cases because it backs up the appraiser.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to add that we were comfortable with Wolf and his colleague as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would find it hard to imagine that AGS could be two color grades off. A 3 ct. K diamond should be pretty tinted looking. How does it look to you?

Also, doesn''t AGS use multiple graders for one stone? It''s not just one person''s grading is it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2006 5:33:18 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 12/28/2006 5:27:05 PM
possible but not likely..Brian also graded the stone he wouldn't put his name on it if he didn't think it was right.
spectral2000 results are nice in these cases because it backs up the appraiser.
Then it sounds like to me she needs to use an appraiser with the machine.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The appraiser had it next to an I, and it was yellower.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:34:10 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I would find it hard to imagine that AGS could be two color grades off. A 3 ct. K diamond should be pretty tinted looking. How does it look to you?

Also, doesn''t AGS use multiple graders for one stone? It''s not just one person''s grading is it?
3ct as i understand it would be graded 3 times at AGS and this one was by Brian as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:37:10 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 12/28/2006 5:34:10 PM

Author: diamondseeker2006

3ct as i understand it would be graded 3 times at AGS and this one was by Brian as well.

this is what I thought too. I''d be very surprised if AGS was off 2 colors..

Glad you''re sending it to Dave Atlas, he''ll get to the bottom of this for sure. I''d trust him completely for an appraisal if/when I needed one.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:35:50 PM
The appraiser had it next to an I, and it was yellower.
how large was the master(was it a master?) and was it a diamond{not a cz master}?
there is a small chance it was a lab error not caught but until i get more expert opinions im not willing to draw a firm conclusion either way.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:33:22 PM
I have to add that we were comfrotable with Wolf and his colleague as well.
Thats why I am surprised. His colleague is Toby Smart. I mean, what incentive do they have to grade lower? He must have genuinely believed it to be a borderline J or worst nearly a K.

They don''t sell stones and I am sure he would not have recommended another vendor to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results