shape
carat
color
clarity

I Got My 'Flu Shot. Post If You Get Yours. Or Not.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my 'flu shot, which I get every year, today. I got it early (usually I get in October). My state has few cases of covid19 now, so although I am careful, I felt I would rather hang out in a CVS clinic now rather than take a chance that covid19 cases will be very high later in the year. I made an appointment on-line days in advance but still wound up spending hours in the store near the pharmacy counter. Apparently I could have waited in my car, but as it was people were being cut off the list. I feared not being present to make sure I got a place!

Well, now I think I am vaccinated against everything I can be, in other words, everything except covid19. I just hope hanging out in CVS for a long time wasn't worse than missing a 'flu shot!

Tell me if you got a vaccination or when you get one. Or you can tell me why you never get one. :))

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm waiting until Oct because I just got the pneumonia vaccine and Tdap.

Edited to add: If we go into another lockdown here (the guv is giving us stink eye because of our rising cases), I'll get it sooner.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My internist told us to wait til end of September or early October because the flu vaccination is only effective (as far as it is effective that is) for 6 months or so. The earlier you get it the earlier it wears off so to speak. But your reasoning is good @AGBF and good for you for getting it. We are going to probably get it sooner vs later.

In the past I have always gotten the flu shot in August because that is when they gave it at work.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the pneumonia vaccine only about three weeks ago, but I mentioned that to the nurse practitioner. She has always seemed knowledgeable about when vaccinations can be given. I am assuming it is safe. :))

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I was getting my flu shots every year. Same did my DIL. Son and husband never did. We were always sick in pairs, now 2 households were getting sick at the same time. Right around the Christmas all 4 adults and a toddler became sick with flu like symptoms. No one was tasted for Covid 19 antibodies. The toddler was last time vaccinated against flu on December 10th, 2019. Now I don't know if I will ever get a flu vaccine again, but I am not going to get a shot against CV.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get them in a few weeks when my OBGYN recommends (third trimester).

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the pneumonia vaccine only about three weeks ago, but I mentioned that to the nurse practitioner. She has always seemed knowledgeable about when vaccinations can be given. I am assuming it is safe.

I'm sure it is safe. I just have a thing about loading my body up on that kind of stuff. I had a VERY healthy immune response to the Tdap and pneumonia. Pneumonia in the right arm = 2 days before I could lift the arm. Tdap in the left and nearly a week before I could lift that arm without significant discomfort.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan on getting mine in October.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not available here for months. I may be able to do high dose this year, but I don't know yet. Usually it's mid to late Sept. into Oct. that the flu vaccines are available here.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Told to wait till 2nd week of September. I got a stomach bug and it took forever to get rid of it. My Primary care Doc wanted my immune system to have a chance to recover

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall get mine for free due to an existing health condition being a Type 2 Diabetic.

I shall book an appointment to have it next time I visit the medical practice for my diabetic review in early September.

DK :))

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I get a flu shot every year, and intend to get one this fall. They are only available as of October in my province.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me if you got a vaccination or when you get one. Or you can tell me why you never get one. :))
I had never took a flu shot in my life. The last time I caught the flu was like 1982?. I try my best to avoid injecting any kind of unnecessary drugs into my body.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be the odd one out, I don't plan on getting a flu shot, haven't gotten one at least going back 25 years (were flu shots a thing in the 80's for kids?)

DH got the flu a couple of years ago, I was convinced I would get it or the kids since it is so contagious but none of us got it and none of us get flu shots. I figure I've gotten this far without one.....

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I will be getting mine and my daughter hers once we have insurance again. Currently waiting on at least a 60 day turn around. They lost our original paperwork :(

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m getting mine...along with my son and 94 year mother the end of September. I was told that we shouldn’t get it too soon...Getting my mom and son into a cvs for a shot will be stressful. I’m not looking forward to it. Too bad they don’t have drive through shots!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be getting mine and my daughter hers once we have insurance again. Currently waiting on at least a 60 day turn around. They lost our original paperwork :(

I'm sorry about that, MeowMeow. I hope it comes through quickly.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I got mine the other day, when I happened to notice they were available at the drugstore I had stopped in at. Didn't know it would be better to wait a while. Oops.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m getting mine...along with my son and 94 year mother the end of September. I was told that we shouldn’t get it too soon...Getting my mom and son into a cvs for a shot will be stressful. I’m not looking forward to it. Too bad they don’t have drive through shots!

Your mother might be eligible for a visiting nurse to give her one depending on where you live. I would call the local social service department or department on the aging (or community answers at a library) and see if there is a program for people her age to be vaccinated at home. She shouldn't have to be dragged out at 94!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll be the odd one out, I don't plan on getting a flu shot, haven't gotten one at least going back 25 years (were flu shots a thing in the 80's for kids?)

DH got the flu a couple of years ago, I was convinced I would get it or the kids since it is so contagious but none of us got it and none of us get flu shots. I figure I've gotten this far without one.....

@YadaYadaYada I was forty when I got the flu for the first time..I thought I was going to die. I literally crawled to the phone to call my mother to tell her not to come for the visit. She came anyway...My mom and two of my boys didn‘t get it. David and I were so sick..in the same room...No one wanted to be near us..We haven’t missed a flu shot since that time..We never got the flu again...The vaccine and hibernating during flu season is a given for us.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You mother might be eligible for a visiting nurse to give her one depending on where you live. I would call the local social service department or department on the aging (or community answers at a library) and see if there is a program for people her age to be vaccinated at home. She shouldn't have to be dragged out at 94!

I’ll check into that @AGBF! Thanks!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan on getting one. I have had one every year for a number of years. I usually get one at the end of September or early October.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I got my 'flu shot, which I get every year, today. I got it early (usually I get in October). My state has few cases of covid19 now, so although I am careful, I felt I would rather hang out in a CVS clinic now rather than take a chance that covid19 cases will be very high later in the year. I made an appointment on-line days in advance but still wound up spending hours in the store near the pharmacy counter. Apparently I could have waited in my car, but as it was people were being cut off the list. I feared not being present to make sure I got a place!

Well, now I think I am vaccinated against everything I can be, in other words, everything except covid19. I just hope hanging out in CVS for a long time wasn't worse than missing a 'flu shot!

I get one every year, late Sept/early Oct. I have a doctor appointment late Sept so I will just get it then.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee that's terrible to be that sick, my husband was in bad shape too. I thought for sure he would get the flu shot the following year but he didn't. I was surprised by that, he was the sickest I ever saw him!

I just saw your comment about drive-thru shots. I was going through the drive-thru to pickup my husband's medication and the woman asked if I wanted a flu shot. So I asked if she could give it to me through the drive-thru window and she said no, they can't do that.

Like the whole purpose of the drive-thru is so you don't have to go into the store so if you can't do a flu shot why offer? I swear I just don't get life sometimes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i usually always get it and ive been unfortunate enough to get the real flu twice despite the vacine - one was a different strain and the other it hadn't had enough time to work,
that time when Gary got the flu he then got pneumonia and that was very scary so he always gets the flu jab now

he got the jab this year just as we went into lockdown in March i think ? they were giving priority to people in the high risk catagory
i havn't had it this year because usually i get it free when i previously was working, and i need to go into town to find a chemist that does it and i just don't go into town at the moment
but with the boarder closed and all people coming in having to go into 14 days quareteen the ministry of health have said the last case of Flu in NZ was in May so im probably ok this year

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any means & have always gotten
all of my vaccinations on time, with the exception of the flu shot.
I've only gotten it twice in my life & although they say that its impossible,
I had really horrible reactions to it & felt as if I was dying both times.

Ever since then I've decided to skip it & have been just fine.
I'm also quite dubious of its effectiveness & feel as though it is
like the "plan b" of the vaccine world.
I do believe that it can be super effective for a few people though
or even the majority but unfortunately, I am not one of them.

I also wont be taking the vaccine for covid right when they're available as I'd like to sit back and see how it goes for those who do.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee that's terrible to be that sick, my husband was in bad shape too. I thought for sure he would get the flu shot the following year but he didn't. I was surprised by that, he was the sickest I ever saw him!

I just saw your comment about drive-thru shots. I was going through the drive-thru to pickup my husband's medication and the woman asked if I wanted a flu shot. So I asked if she could give it to me through the drive-thru window and she said no, they can't do that.

Like the whole purpose of the drive-thru is so you don't have to go into the store so if you can't do a flu shot why offer? I swear I just don't get life sometimes.

I got excited for a minute! I thought you were going to say you got one through the drive through..Darn! lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any means & have always gotten
all of my vaccinations on time, with the exception of the flu shot.
I've only gotten it twice in my life & although they say that its impossible,
I had really horrible reactions to it & felt as if I was dying both times.

Ever since then I've decided to skip it & have been just fine.
I'm also quite dubious of its effectiveness & feel as though it is
like the "plan b" of the vaccine world.
I do believe that it can be super effective for a few people though
or even the majority but unfortunately, I am not one of them.

I also wont be taking the vaccine for covid right when they're available as I'd like to sit back and see how it goes for those who do.

I don’t think I will be the first in line even though I’m older..I think front line workers, nursing home residents and staff, etc will get it first.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ask my pulmonologist about it and he said get it early october not now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results