shape
carat
color
clarity

I fell in love with a Padparadscha…then I saw another. Need help evaluating/picking

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Neither are bargains and the larger one sounds expensive. Personally I will return
That is the plan. However, I am not having any luck finding insurance to return the stones to Canada. Businesses can insure with Fed Ex, etc., but not one time customers. The post office does not insure international registered mail—my normal standby. Nor will the vendor help.

Feel I have little choice but to go in person. It’s too much money to risk. So hubby and I are road tripping to Canada!

Just a fair warning for those who live so far away that this is not an option. Insurance and foreign returns are difficult. Lesson learned!!!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mrsz1ppy -- I wonder if a PS-recommended appraiser, someone like PS Trade Member Dave Atlas, might be able to assist in this mattter (of course with payment for his services)? It might be worthwhile to reach out to him, provide your PS name and link to this thread, and ask if he would be willing to act as middleman, such that you would to ship fully insured the stones to him, and he would then ship them with full insurance to the Vancouver vendor? This may not be a service Mr. Atlas is willing to provide for liability reasons, but perhaps worth an email. https://datlas.com/

Of course if you and your DH are looking forward to this trip to Vancouver, ignore this suggestion!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
@Mrsz1ppy -- I wonder if a PS-recommended appraiser, someone like PS Trade Member Dave Atlas, might be able to assist in this mattter (of course with payment for his services)? It might be worthwhile to reach out to him, provide your PS name and link to this thread, and ask if he would be willing to act as middleman, such that you would to ship fully insured the stones to him, and he would then ship them with full insurance to the Vancouver vendor? This may not be a service Mr. Atlas is willing to provide for liability reasons, but perhaps worth an email. https://datlas.com/

Of course if you and your DH are looking forward to this trip to Vancouver, ignore this suggestion!

That’s a great idea! I had asked my local jeweler for suggestions, and she said her JM policy wouldn’t cover shipping to Canada, so I punted. Next time I’ll know a better way.

I think you're making the right choice, @Mrsz1ppy! You said from the start that origin mattered to you. That coupled with the fact that the pads were also treated seems like a clear-cut deal breaker. Curious if Chen was accommodating about the return, or if she pushed back on the findings at all?

It's always been my dream to visit the Pacific Northwest and B.C., so I'm super jelly about your trek! :) Have fun and good luck on finding your HG pad!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Fair question. She did push back in a passive-aggressive way, saying labs disagree, offering me a 25% discount, and not making it very easy for me to return via post—no help, said it was up to me to return as an industry standard.

I didn’t feel comfortable returning without insurance, since not only do I have to trust the mail, but I have to trust the vendor. And she never owned it.

She sent her husband to make the return, so I never met her. However, at the end of the day, it got done. I got my $10,900 minus 2 nights at a hotel and 12 hours driving. And had 2 wonderful meals and a great time at an art street market in Langley BC.

Talk about 50 shades of green—it’s really beautiful in the PNW and my hubby and I just considered it practice at getting back out there, post-Covid. All in all, a good experience.

And the pad hunt continues. Thanks for asking!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fair question. She did push back in a passive-aggressive way, saying labs disagree, offering me a 25% discount, and not making it very easy for me to return via post—no help, said it was up to me to return as an industry standard.

Ok to be fair it is usually up to individual to return items except for some of the bigger online retailers that can provide return labels etc. As a small retailer I also wouldn’t expect her to know how to navigate returns/postal systems from all over the world.

It is still disappointing that vendors sell items that are not as stated.

Maybe another example for this thread:

Just wanted to tell a story of some recent experiences. I’ve been buying a lot since March of this year, so this may be simply a numbers thing, but still don’t want it to happen to anyone else here on PS.

Twice I bought a corundum on eBay this spring—one a ruby, one an unheated green sapphire. I sent both to AGL for GemBriefs (along with 15 other items in total). First one was a lab ruby, and the second was heated. The first vendor gave me my money back; the second apologized and refunded the cert cost too. Today I heard back from GIA about an unheated peri sapphire I bought from Instagram from a recommended vendor. When I took the stone to my jeweler, the weight was wrong—0.96 ct for a 1.25 listed stone. The vendor offered me my money back or a partial refund at that point. I said I’d keep it if it certed as unheated because I liked the color. Today I got a heads up from GIA that it is a blue zoisite. I believe the vendor I bought from trusted her supplier, and her supplier did her wrong. But I would have been stuck had I not checked.

Sometimes I am challenged on PS for getting certs but so far I have no regrets.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok to be fair it is usually up to individual to return items except for some of the bigger online retailers that can provide return labels etc. As a small retailer I also wouldn’t expect her to know how to navigate returns/postal systems from all over the world.

It is still disappointing that vendors sell items that are not as stated.

Maybe another example for this thread:

And I do want to be fair. If I didn’t like it, I should be responsible for returning them. However, had I known that they were heated and from Madagascar, I wouldn’t have bought them. Nor could I get insurance that she can, as a business. I have had other small retailers in similar situations respond with paying for the certs and the return. We all have choices.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And I do want to be fair. If I didn’t like it, I should be responsible for returning them. However, had I known that they were heated and from Madagascar, I wouldn’t have bought them. Nor could I get insurance that she can, as a business. I have had other small retailers in similar situations respond with paying for the certs and the return. We all have choices.

I have followed this thread with interest. And it’s disappointing that the vendor seems to question the certification. Also even if you had to pay for the label I feel like she could’ve provided one and have her insurance cover. This happened to me once when I bought a sapphire and I sent it to GIA and it turned out to be synthetic and the vendor paid for the certification and was incredibly apologetic. I will be curious to see how these stones are described when relisted.

I didn’t feel comfortable returning without insurance, since not only do I have to trust the mail, but I have to trust the vendor. And she never owned it.

Well, I'll be honest with you... I asked that question for a reason. I'd been reluctant to share this previously, because Chen used to post here, and I love and respect this community. But here goes! I spent tens of thousands of dollars with her in the past - never an issue, never a return, loved what I bought. She's not one to be overly friendly or accommodating, but we had an easy relationship. Then I purchased a comparatively inexpensive (few hundred $) lavender spinel from her earlier this year, and, well, we had a problem. First, she shipped it (internationally) in a plastic baggie and then just thrown in the mailing envelope. That was surprising. I could see and feel the culet pressing into the cardboard mailer from within. I opened it up and immediately noticed there was an obvious, eye-visible inclusion spanning one corner of the gem. It was not disclosed in the listing, and I had specifically inquired about clarity. She had mentioned insignificant "sugar," but no glaring inclusions. I went back to look at the photos, and could clearly make out the feather, now that I knew what to look for and where to look. It had appeared to just be a reflection to me before purchasing it. I wrote Chen same day to let her know I wanted to return the stone because of the fracture. She approved the return, and asked me to mark the stone a gift and undervalue it on the customs forms (which I did, though that always makes me uncomfortable). But after I suggested we should each be responsible for shipping one way, her attitude completely changed. She now denied that the large feather was there prior to shipment, and pretty much accused me of damaging the stone in the 10 minutes I had it in my possession. If she honestly thought I damaged the stone (how, by hitting it with Gallagher's sledgehammer?), why would she accept the return? Anyway, I told her I could see the fracture in her photos (sent a copy to her with it circled) and that perhaps it was further damaged in transit due to the poor packaging. She did not appreciate that. lol But I stood my ground, and said I would dispute it with PP on principle. It was at that time she relented, but not without giving me an earful. That was the end of our professional relationship. She was willing to treat me so poorly over a shipping fee for an issue she created, when I'd spent more than $20k with her previously. That didn't exactly make me feel valued as a customer, unfortunately. I can no longer recommend her to collectors for that reason. It was probably my worst buying experience ever. So hearing now that she sold those 2 pads with incorrect origin and treatment disclosure, and was still indignant, further validates my decision.

I will be curious to see how these stones are described when relisted.

Funny you should mention that... she did NOT update the spinel listing to include disclosure of the feather... same photos, same description. It was only when I told her I'd report it to Etsy that she removed the listing altogether. Yah, it didn't end well! :dance: But I started off exceedingly polite!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have followed this thread with interest. And it’s disappointing that the vendor seems to question the certification. Also even if you had to pay for the label I feel like she could’ve provided one and have her insurance cover. This happened to me once when I bought a sapphire and I sent it to GIA and it turned out to be synthetic and the vendor paid for the certification and was incredibly apologetic. I will be curious to see how these stones are described when relisted.

I have been checking her Instagram and Etsy for the re-listings too.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'll be honest with you... I asked that question for a reason. I'd been reluctant to share this previously, because Chen used to post here, and I love and respect this community. But here goes! I spent tens of thousands of dollars with her in the past - never an issue, never a return, loved what I bought. She's not one to be overly friendly or accommodating, but we had an easy relationship. Then I purchased a comparatively inexpensive (few hundred $) lavender spinel from her earlier this year, and, well, we had a problem. First, she shipped it (internationally) in a plastic baggie and then just thrown in the mailing envelope. That was surprising. I could see and feel the culet pressing into the cardboard mailer from within. I opened it up and immediately noticed there was an obvious, eye-visible inclusion spanning one corner of the gem. It was not disclosed in the listing, and I had specifically inquired about clarity. She had mentioned insignificant "sugar," but no glaring inclusions. I went back to look at the photos, and could clearly make out the feather, now that I knew what to look for and where to look. It had appeared to just be a reflection to me before purchasing it. I wrote Chen same day to let her know I wanted to return the stone because of the fracture. She approved the return, and asked me to mark the stone a gift and undervalue it on the customs forms (which I did, though that always makes me uncomfortable). But after I suggested we should each be responsible for shipping one way, her attitude completely changed. She now denied that the large feather was there prior to shipment, and pretty much accused me of damaging the stone in the 10 minutes I had it in my possession. If she honestly thought I damaged the stone (how, by hitting it with Gallagher's sledgehammer?), why would she accept the return? Anyway, I told her I could see the fracture in her photos (sent a copy to her with it circled) and that perhaps it was further damaged in transit due to the poor packaging. She did not appreciate that. lol But I stood my ground, and said I would dispute it with PP on principle. It was at that time she relented, but not without giving me an earful. That was the end of our professional relationship. She was willing to treat me so poorly over a shipping fee for an issue she created, when I'd spent more than $20k with her previously. That didn't exactly make me feel valued as a customer, unfortunately. I can no longer recommend her to collectors for that reason. It was probably my worst buying experience ever. So hearing now that she sold those 2 pads with incorrect origin and treatment disclosure, and was still indignant, further validates my decision.

Ouch. This is really unfortunate. How stressful for you!!!

Some vendors don’t seem to appreciate the fact that loyalty is earned through excellent customer service. Seems really short sighted on her part…

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

She sent her husband to make the return, so I never met her. However, at the end of the day, it got done. I got my $10,900 minus 2 nights at a hotel and 12 hours driving. And had 2 wonderful meals and a great time at an art street market in Langley BC.

Talk about 50 shades of green—it’s really beautiful in the PNW and my hubby and I just considered it practice at getting back out there, post-Covid. All in all, a good experience.

And the pad hunt continues. Thanks for asking!

Sounds like you made the best of a not-so-perfect situation. At least you’ll have the pleasure of the hunt still before you - sorry these didn’t work out!

Seems really short sighted on her part…

My thoughts exactly, @Cerulean. The way a person handles an issue, and not just when everything's going smoothly, is the true mark of his or her integrity. OP was much more amenable than I'd have been, bless her heart. But she did get to see such beautiful parts of the US and CA, so that is the silver lining!
more%20pix%20pls.gif

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts exactly, @Cerulean. The way a person handles an issue, and not just when everything's going smoothly, is the true mark of his or her integrity. OP was much more amenable than I'd have been, bless her heart. But she did get to see such beautiful parts of the US and CA, so that is the silver lining!
more%20pix%20pls.gif

Hand on my heart, I can say I would’ve been FAR less graceful than @Mrsz1ppy :lol:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I frequently get “a force of nature”

Ermmm…thanks?! :lol:

Sounds like we all have a lot in common

Indeed it does. Isn’t there a song, and I’m quoting, “and I won’t back down”?
Glad to know I’m not the only one!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'd been reluctant to share this previously, because Chen used to post here, and I love and respect this community. But here goes! I spent tens of thousands of dollars with her in the past - never an issue, never a return, loved what I bought.

We have more than a few ex-PSers who went into the trade but so far it seems a good number don’t always have the best selling/vendor practices which is unfortunate (and from a PS perspective I really dislike those members who are actively selling yet hide their trade status).

To quote my jeweler, “business is do long term one”. Totally agree that you only truly know when things go wrong. Thanks for sharing your experience.

We have more than a few ex-PSers who went into the trade but so far it seems a good number don’t always have the best selling/vendor practices which is unfortunate (and from a PS perspective I really dislike those members who are actively selling yet hide their trade status).

To quote my jeweler, “business is do long term one”. Totally agree that you only truly know when things go wrong. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Agreed!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree.
There seem to be 4 types
Those that go trade and we never really hear much from them again on PS

Those that keep their old member handle and switch back and forth with their new trade handle and try and go incognito between the two like it’s not obvious.

Those that actively advertise with their new trade handle, tho slyly and ‘innocently’.

Those that know the boundaries and it’s kinda sad when they can’t share their knowledge or experience and opinions because of rules.

But actively selling and hiding trade status - I guess that really depends on how their participation here is generalized?
Are they selling their stuff shown (advertising) here or commenting negatively (or super positively if they somehow benefit) on others stuff for sale?
That’s where it gets uncomfortable. And basically predatory.

Nobody likes to be a squeaking report button pusher. But if their participation here is negative and predatory - admin won’t know /probably wouldn’t catch it themselves unless they are reported and proof is given.

Sorry OP - for this offshoot

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I agree.
There seem to be 4 types
Those that go trade and we never really hear much from them again on PS

Those that keep their old member handle and switch back and forth with their new trade handle and try and go incognito between the two like it’s not obvious.

Those that actively advertise with their new trade handle, tho slyly and ‘innocently’.

Those that know the boundaries and it’s kinda sad when they can’t share their knowledge or experience and opinions because of rules.

But actively selling and hiding trade status - I guess that really depends on how their participation here is generalized?
Are they selling their stuff shown (advertising) here or commenting negatively (or super positively if they somehow benefit) on others stuff for sale?
That’s where it gets uncomfortable. And basically predatory.

Nobody likes to be a squeaking report button pusher. But if their participation here is negative and predatory - admin won’t know /probably wouldn’t catch it themselves unless they are reported and proof is given.

Sorry OP - for this offshoot

At least with the first 3, you know they are trade. The last one infuriates me because it’s so unethical. Predatory as you say. Sadly I can think of two recent ones that used to be active on the CS forum.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I found another pad I liked. It came back from AGL yesterday, and hit all the marks—no heat, Ceylon, pinkish Orange Padparadasha. Funny, I notice much more of a window in the photos than in real life. Now I just have to figure out a setting. The ring it came in is a 5 and I’m an 8. 96D4DE12-12E2-45F1-8B27-03D0885650A5.jpeg

Attachments

• 57A8283F-F269-4162-B783-299A318FA698.jpeg
    57A8283F-F269-4162-B783-299A318FA698.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 30366430-1838-4FDF-BA39-E78069F43213.jpeg
    30366430-1838-4FDF-BA39-E78069F43213.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 29
  • E41FED18-CA49-4F04-A27B-599A3CB4E40F.jpeg
    E41FED18-CA49-4F04-A27B-599A3CB4E40F.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 222B5111-A6B6-4928-8D69-717D42E7FCC0.jpeg
    222B5111-A6B6-4928-8D69-717D42E7FCC0.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 4CB0C26D-EE49-4C86-ABFC-60AD95940E5C.jpeg
    4CB0C26D-EE49-4C86-ABFC-60AD95940E5C.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 29

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least with the first 3, you know they are trade. The last one infuriates me because it’s so unethical. Predatory as you say. Sadly I can think of two recent ones that used to be active on the CS forum.

That type also tries to gaslight people into buying their ugly stuff as well under the guise of being an "expert".

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found another pad I liked. It came back from AGL yesterday, and hit all the marks—no heat, Ceylon, pinkish Orange Padparadasha. Funny, I notice much more of a window in the photos than in real life. Now I just have to figure out a setting. The ring it came in is a 5 and I’m an 8. 96D4DE12-12E2-45F1-8B27-03D0885650A5.jpeg

Omg I love the colour!!!! Well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results