shape
carat
color
clarity

I fell in love with a Padparadscha…then I saw another. Need help evaluating/picking

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Just happened to stop by the Etsy shop of CDGEMSTONE, who used to post quite a bit on here. She had a lovely pad, unheated, from Sri Lanka and a sapphire that I could afford. I slobbered then bought. At dinner tonight, I brought up etsy to show my daughter my find, and there was another. Was it better? I don’t know, but it entranced me, too.

Dear Pricescope reader, I bought both, with the understanding that I can return. Please help me evaluate….oh, heck. Just help me figure out what to do! Are they both Pads? Both equally lovely? Do I cert them, and if so, which lab? 6D4CB35D-EAB8-493D-A4E5-EC80B9A68AC1.png

Attachments

• 4A23118F-58B8-4115-A9AA-99938242681A.png
    4A23118F-58B8-4115-A9AA-99938242681A.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 113
  • E40B8E68-A024-404E-8C68-8DD9F323A7D8.png
    E40B8E68-A024-404E-8C68-8DD9F323A7D8.png
    608.7 KB · Views: 110

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of them have their cut going for them - no huge windows which seem to be common when perusing for pads.

You are thinking of having them sent to different lab for report than what they already have? What would be your reason?

Unfortunately asking for opinions you will get plenty. Along with the invariable ‘it’s not top quality, look harder for better and cheaper’ one line reply comment.

I think you are doing the right thing. If you can’t see multiple close to you - consider the amount you pay for returns your education on what you like.

Pad color desirable range is wide or narrow depending on who you ask. Even when narrow, opinions vary on what’s ‘good’. Even more opinions out there varying on what qualifies as a pad and what doesn’t.

The AIGS one- they describe it as pink-orange. It looks more pink, and I always thought last color name stated is the most apparent. That would be my question as the photos really do lean more pink and it was described that way.

Many threads here on PS - you will read the poster has a very very hard time getting photos close to what they see with their pad. Falling in love with a photo I feel is a dangerous thing.

Hope you come back to post many descriptions and photos of your opinions between the two.

I have no exp with emteen lab. My one experience with AIGS pad, it bled all color out in certain lighting and sometimes looked like a dilute andalucite. It was gorgeous and like it’s listing photo in only one specific certain lighting environment. Standing in the back of my west facing garage with the door open on a sunny early evening :eyeroll: none of any other time of day or location or lighting.
I do wonder if other labs would screen that out as not being labeled a pad.

Happy Padparadscha hunting!!!!

PS
I eventually and happily ‘settled’ on a peach sapphire that didn’t get Padparadscha designation from AGL

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I try to be rational and objective, and get the best quality for my money, but at the heart of it, I am drawn to the beauty of a gemstone. How it reacts to different lighting condition. It is hard to buy online, but having such a vast selection is addictive, and I love the process.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I like the cushion a lot more. Small table and high crown. But both have less pink than I would want in a pad (I prefer orangish pink while these are both pinkish orange).

I find the cushion slightly more saturated (less grey) but also lighter in tone. That speaks to me, more so than the oval.

Pad is so complicated…

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is it possible that the oval has an orange stain?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Oval videos

Cushion videos
https://youtube.com/shorts/ziAeU40M—M?feature=share

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any time a vendor only shows elongated stones in e/w orientation, I’d ask to see in n/s orientation as well.
Point is moot because they are already shipping to you.

Im excited to hear what you have to say once they are on your hand and what you think of them on your skin tone.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I, too, prefer the cushion. I'm not such a fan of the cut on both, but will say that I prefer the evenness in color of the cushion more. Color banding is a personal pet peeve.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bowtie is something fierce in the oval. The cushion looks to be more delicate in colouration. Both are pink leaning, less orange.

First, congrats on your purchases! If you favor pink-leaning stones, then you certainly chose two very pretty stones. I actually viewed the second one (oval) with Chen a couple of years back. It ended up being too pink for my needs (a warm pink, as opposed to an orangey-pink). I think she definitely prefers the more pink shades. But, as I recall, it's quite spready for the weight and doesn't window, which is great. Keep in mind though, because of that, the pavilion beneath the girdle is cut quite narrow, and it does have some extinction/light leakage on the sides. That bothers some more than others. It appears to be a bit more saturated than the first stone (cushion), but the first one has a touch more orange, which I like. This may be a difficult decision when you see them in person, but I don't think you can go wrong. Maybe you'll keep both!! :twisted2:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
You are the sweetest! Thank for the feedback. Am so curious to see them in real life. Just started looking for Padparadschas. Trying to be patient!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
The bowtie is something fierce in the oval. The cushion looks to be more delicate in colouration. Both are pink leaning, less orange.

I was thinking the same thing about the bowtie. I also think it looks just pink and not so much pad. The cushion looks incredibly bright and sparkly. I love that one and the color looks more pad to me. I wish I could afford that one!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the cushion for sure. But this is personal. I like the more delicate color and the oval cut is bothering me more. It’s a bit too pink for my tastes too

But great you’re seeing them both! Please report back!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
They came today, on a busy gardening day. They are both intriguing in different ways. I am stumped, but probably too exhausted to think straight. Not even sure how to post a video here at the moment! Tomorrow will focus on the big decision!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
When picking between two stones, sometimes I like to look at them both together for a bit, then hide one from view, and then the other, and see which one my heart misses more.

(and sometimes that doesn’t work and I just keep both of them)

Good luck picking!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the cushion for sure. But this is personal. I like the more delicate color and the oval cut is bothering me more. It’s a bit too pink for my tastes too

But great you’re seeing them both! Please report back!

Too lazy to write this out when @Cerulean said exactly what I was going to say!

But obvs is all complete personal preference. A lot of people prefer the pinker more saturated look I know.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I am a bad, bad girl. I like both stones. I played with them e/w and n/s. I took videos. Yesterday was bright, and the cushion vanished in the bright light Today the marine layer took away the sun, and the cushion shone. I live in bright Texas and shady Oregon, and these 2 stones shine in different light. They both work for me.

That being said, the vendor said they were Ceylon, but neither cert did. That matters to me. So I have sent them both to AGL for a prestige origin report with stability. I will keep them if AGL agrees with the vendor that they are stable unheated padparadaschas from Sri Lanka.

Thank you to all who chimed in when I asked for feedback. It means so much.
BD5CEB8B-767A-4E1E-B9C0-1D87CE6B39B1.jpeg BA5C8B00-676D-48C3-8073-A886891EDC34.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C565391-033B-46F5-94AB-C57792E86BCB.jpeg
    1C565391-033B-46F5-94AB-C57792E86BCB.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 8E9933DD-A657-4AF8-B4A3-E5ABED9C2DF2.jpeg
    8E9933DD-A657-4AF8-B4A3-E5ABED9C2DF2.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 50

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand the merits of both! They are both very different flavors and very beautiful. Curious to see what AGL says and fingers crossed for you!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love both!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand the merits of both! They are both very different flavors and very beautiful. Curious to see what AGL says and fingers crossed for you!

Will certainly post the cert results. Thank you.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love both!

It’s funny how different things look in photos. I see how the colors of each go with my skin, which I don’t notice in real life—but nor do I notice the saggy skin!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy. The AGL reports came back. Good news, both stones are color stable Padparadashas. Origin is Madagascar and low heat was detected for both. They were sold to me as Ceylon no treatment.

Not sure what to do.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. The AGL reports came back. Good news, both stones are color stable Padparadashas. Origin is Madagascar and low heat was detected for both. They were sold to me as Ceylon no treatment.

Not sure what to do.

If you love them, then it seems you could negotiate a lower price? Thank you for this post as it is eye-opening! Why did the vendor claim no heat and Sri Lankan?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Because that is why she was told, for one of them 10 years ago. And she had Asian certs.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you keep them, will you still look (or wish) for a Ceylon pad? If so, probably wisest to return for full refund.

I am thinking you would have had to negotiate for a longer return period in order to accommodate the AGL report process ... did you also come to an agreement of who would bear the cost of the AGL reports if they did not match vendor's representations and you chose to return? If not, I suggest sharing the cost equally, and mailing them back with the stones to the vendor -- if you do return.

If you like the two pads enough to keep even with low heat and Madagascar origin, then I suggest asking for a 20% refund of your purchase price along with a 50% contribution to the new AGL certs.

The vendor is reputable and knowledgeable, and I believe would never purposefully misrepresent her wares -- I trust you two will come to a fair and amicable agreement, once you decide whether you wish to keep or return.

Bummer though, I feel for you.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I agree she did not misrepresent her wares. Not sure 20% is a fair discount for treated non-Ceylon, though. I am willing to absorb the certificate costs because I didn’t think it was fair to ask her. It’s my choice to double check. We had an understanding that I could return the stones if they were not as advertised.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @marymm
But this is pretty important, as well

That being said, the vendor said they were Ceylon, but neither cert did. That matters to me. So I have sent them both to AGL for a prestige origin report with stability. I will keep them if AGL agrees with the vendor that they are stable unheated padparadaschas from Sri Lanka.

Not sure what to do.

It’s a hard call to know whether you will be satisfied long run with just a discount - if it is even offered.

Edited to add
I “like” the vendor too. But I don’t know if I consider this being not misrepresentation.
I’m not sure if a discount is given - that supports an ‘oopsie - my bad mistake’ or not.
I’m trying to put myself as a PS reader from when she was not a trade member- how she herself would react to the seller, herself being the customer in this position. One lab vs another and whether origin matters or not.

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Right. She’s wanting me to name the discount, while questioning Chris’ judgement. I won’t have them back until Thursday. The only way I can determine the discount is to get the gem Id and pricing apps. I’m not in the biz. I asked her what discount for African over Ceylon but no answer.

Origin does matter as does treatment if I paid for it.
The smaller stone was $1625/ct
larger was $3721.97/ct

that‘s what I paid

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're inclined to keep them, then I guess you'll need to do some sleuthing, of her website/Insta as well as others, to find comparables of heated Madagascar pads so you can calculate appropriate discount.

I think, me personally, if originally I had been intent on Ceylon origin, and then I was presented with this snafu, I'd likely return for full refund, and start new search. I'd be thinking, it's not what I wanted, and now it's a big headache ...

But if you *love* both stones, then your discount research would be worth it, yes?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for your less than happy news. For what it's worth, the discount should have the two problems (less desirable origin, and heat treatment) priced in. While there is a price differential between the two origins, I think the no heat versus heat treatment should also be recognized and priced in. At least twenty percent seems fair to me. The price guides have a significant differential between no heat and heat.

Maybe you can look at them with fresh eyes and decide if you love them or not? If so, I'd say follow your heart. But if you have a "I love, but its not Sri Lankan" reaction, then back they go. This is so hard!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results