shape
carat
color
clarity

I don't get why some PSer advise others to wear ...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1421182575|3815909 said:
Well, I just feel the need to interject right here...........
I have been a cashier in the grocery store--you know, the one wearing big diamonds? Yeah, that was me. And Tahitian pearls, and Ceylon sapphires, and Muzo emeralds.
Sometimes you just don't know a persons life circumstances. So don't judge.

I couldn't agree with you more stacci2000. That's exactly why I made the comments I did after Elle Chris made rude comments.

Elle Chris, No, I'm sorry tell you not everyone judges the way you do.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1421179822|3815869 said:
elle_chris|1421177081|3815835 said:
Dancing Fire is making up numbers...lol
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/your-money/with-engagement-rings-love-meets-budget.html?_r=0

In my social circle, size is all over the place. Some have half carats, others 3.
But they're not the kind of people you'll find posting on PS. They just don't care about diamonds, even the ones with the larger stones.

For me, lifestyle plays a much larger role than social circle. What I do, where I go, where I live.. all that plays a role in how I dress and my jewelry. For my lifestyle, a 4ct ring would look ostentatious and I'd feel uncomfortable wearing it. Same thing with my rather large 5 stone, I no longer wear it.

And to be honest, when I see huge rocks on cashiers in my local supermarket, or sales girls at my local Banana Republic, they get the side eye too. It just looks ridiculous to me. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just can't help it.

Oh, sweetie, they're giving you the side-eye right back. Bless your heart.

Thank you for this comment Monnie!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
no, you're right. not everyone judges the way i do. mine is harmless.

others are much nastier, as shown in this thread.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1421188924|3815958 said:
monarch64|1421179822|3815869 said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/your-money/with-engagement-rings-love-meets-budget.html?_r=0

In my social circle, size is all over the place. Some have half carats, others 3.
But they're not the kind of people you'll find posting on PS. They just don't care about diamonds, even the ones with the larger stones.

For me, lifestyle plays a much larger role than social circle. What I do, where I go, where I live.. all that plays a role in how I dress and my jewelry. For my lifestyle, a 4ct ring would look ostentatious and I'd feel uncomfortable wearing it. Same thing with my rather large 5 stone, I no longer wear it.

And to be honest, when I see huge rocks on cashiers in my local supermarket, or sales girls at my local Banana Republic, they get the side eye too. It just looks ridiculous to me. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just can't help it.

Oh, sweetie, they're giving you the side-eye right back. Bless your heart.

Thank you for this comment Monnie!

proved my point- much nastier.

bless your heart too hun. i forgive ya. ;-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow - has this thread taken a turn….Time to head off to a happy place in Show me the Bling :D ;-)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle Chris,

I'm having a really hard time understanding why someone working at Banana Republic wearing a large diamond looks ridiculous to you. If you found my comment rude, I apologize.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all judge.
Kudos to those who admit it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... Well.. Some people buy their jewelry with their own money. Some people depend on their spouses for their bling budget. Others wear jewelry that has been gifted to them by family... and so on... I don't think it matters how you acquire jewelry so long as you're not getting into debt, robbing a bank, or otherwise hurting others or yourself. And in any case, it is only the business of the wearer (and their family), not the casual observer. [emoji3]

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just assume they advise this so that the wearer does not feel uncomfortable wearing it. IMO, you want to get the most use out of an e-ring as possible! It should not be sitting in a box somewhere because you don't enjoy wearing it, either because it is too small or too large.

But to the comments about a cashier wearing a large ring, I wouldn't side eye, but would assume they had a wealthy other half. There was this interesting article a while back too, about not wearing large jewelery to a job interview, because the person interviewing you may assume a) you're just there for fun/not committed/have a wealthy other half b) going to pop out babies soon. On the flip side, when other men see a large engagement ring, they think much higher of the man next to her (able to provide, makes good money, etc).

Interesting dynamic. But yes, everyone judges. I'm not saying I would change how I live my life because of it, but it's still of interest to note.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I own a small business, which happens to be a retail store in a middle to upper middle income area. There are as many 5+ year old mini-vans in the parking lot as Range Rovers & BMW's. I often work the cash register on busy days because I love interacting with my clientele.
I have purchased a nice wardrobe of jewelry over the last couple of years and do wear it at work. I don't have a 2+ ct diamond yet but will eventually. I don't know if I'm being judged by the customers while ringing in their purchase or if all of them realize I'm the business owner, but I'm enjoying my sparklies anyway.

As to the original question, I have old friends with .50ct diamonds and other friends with 2ct diamonds. A lot of diversity in my social circle so I wear what makes me happy. :))

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Just an observation. I work at a large corporation with a lot of female executives. Surprisingly, none of them wear huge diamonds that reflect their >300K a year salaries. Their administrative assistants who are making the realm of 50k a year are usually the ones sporting 2+ct honkers. To my knowledge, a lot of these admins have spouses that make a great living, and they are working because they want to, and not because they have to. Hence I never assume a grocery bagger, or sales assistant's big rock is not real, or that they are stretching themselves to buy jewelry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And to be honest, when I see huge rocks on cashiers in my local supermarket, or sales girls at my local Banana Republic, they get the side eye too. It just looks ridiculous to me. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just can't help it.[/quote]

I am annoyed with the insinuation that the lowly cashier doesn't know her place, and shouldn't be flaunting bling, whether it's diamonds or CZs

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting that you (Strassi) made that nasty assumption about "lowly cashiers" since I never said anything along those lines.

The reason they get the side eye from me is because cashiers generally make around minimum wage and simply can not afford huge diamonds. The one's who husbands can, usually aren't cashiers- they just don't work if they don't have a career of their own or they stay home to raise the family. That's the truth.
Sure there are some that can be cashiers, sales clerks, what not, but that's not the norm.

So yeah, they get the side eye from me because I wonder what, or should I say who, they're doing to get those stones.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="tyty333|

[/quote]

Center stone only.

avg in the U.S.... 0.90 ct
avg PSer......1.25ct
avg NYC....2.75ct
avg No.Ca & So.Ca.......2.5ct
avg in the midwest... .65ct
avg in Florida ...1.60ct[/quote]

Are you making up numbers again DF? :shock:[/quote]

If you don't believe me do a survey!... :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can I have it?.. :naughty:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1421167383|3815738 said:
Lady_Disdain|1421165035|3815714 said:
I would never say "wear what others are wearing". However, if the guy is dead set on not asking (mistake #1, in my opinion), then looking around is a good place to start. If he came to PS, a 1.5ct ring would seem normal. However, around here, that would be humongous, ostentatious, etc (positive or negative depending on their view).

Let's suppose our fictional guy's fiancee to be want a ring larger than normal but that won't look like costume jewelry. Here, that would be around 0.5-0.75 cts. A 2ct would be thought costume unless they belonged to a very particular set. In other places, the sweet spot might be that 2ct ring.

Center stone only.

avg PSer......1.25ct
avg NYC....2.75ct
avg in Florida ...1.60ct

Dang DF, that puts your Octavia and my CBI below the average :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1421197820|3816024 said:
Dancing Fire|1421167383|3815738 said:
Lady_Disdain|1421165035|3815714 said:
I would never say "wear what others are wearing". However, if the guy is dead set on not asking (mistake #1, in my opinion), then looking around is a good place to start. If he came to PS, a 1.5ct ring would seem normal. However, around here, that would be humongous, ostentatious, etc (positive or negative depending on their view).

Let's suppose our fictional guy's fiancee to be want a ring larger than normal but that won't look like costume jewelry. Here, that would be around 0.5-0.75 cts. A 2ct would be thought costume unless they belonged to a very particular set. In other places, the sweet spot might be that 2ct ring.

Center stone only.

avg PSer......1.25ct
avg NYC....2.75ct
avg in Florida ...1.60ct

Dang DF, that puts your Octavia and my CBI below the average :lol:
Yeah, isn't it sad?... :(sad ;( but you also own a 3+ct pear, so that will put you above the avg... :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1421197555|3816021 said:
Very interesting that you (Strassi) made that nasty assumption about "lowly cashiers" since I never said anything along those lines.

The reason they get the side eye from me is because cashiers generally make around minimum wage and simply can not afford huge diamonds. The one's who husbands can, usually aren't cashiers- they just don't work if they don't have a career of their own or they stay home to raise the family. That's the truth.
Sure there are some that can be cashiers, sales clerks, what not, but that's not the norm.

So yeah, they get the side eye from me because I wonder what, or should I say who, they're doing to get those stones.

From me.
I travel the country handing out large diamonds to minimum wage earners.
They don't have to 'do' me.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, just wow.....................
I hope the next time you're in the grocery store, they forget to bag your hamburger helper

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
no worries, i don't buy hamburger helper. :angel:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1421198869|3816035 said:

From me.
I travel the country handing out large diamonds to minimum wage earners.
They don't have to 'do' me.

That's mighty kind of you :bigsmile:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1421199187|3816037 said:

Wow, just wow.....................
I hope the next time you're in the grocery store, they forget to bag your hamburger helper

you know what- get over yourself, really. stop pretending you don't judge or never have. nothing i've said in my original post deserved your nasty hostility. oh no, I side eye some one who I think cant afford a rock on her own..
I'm the most terrible person in the world.. may the diamond gods take away all my stones..

palease.. :hand:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.
Getting judged for judging ... :lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ exactly what I was thinking ...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1421187529|3815946 said:
Wow.. the judging, the judging in this thread! :errrr:

I wear large diamonds. Whenever the f I want and feel like wearing them. If anyone gave me a funny look while I was doing a job that they deem underneath a large-diamond-wearer, I'd consider them jealous. That's it. Or if they assumed they were fake, the better for me, as I would feel more safe from robbers.

//madelise. a grad student, with pretty much NO real job, who enjoys buying giant diamonds over Christian Louboutins or Gucci bags.

Yup! This right here. I deleted the rest, forget it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1421204489|3816072 said:

I wear large diamonds. Whenever the f I want and feel like wearing them. If anyone gave me a funny look while I was doing a job that they deem underneath a large-diamond-wearer, I'd consider them jealous. That's it. Or if they assumed they were fake, the better for me, as I would feel more safe from robbers.

//madelise. a grad student, with pretty much NO real job, who enjoys buying giant diamonds over Christian Louboutins or Gucci bags.

Yup! This right here. Although I don't wear my large diamond to work, there are many days I don't dress the part. If you're giving me side eye because I don't match your expectations, I'm laughing on the inside. I wear what I want, when I want, and how I want. Making yourself out to look like you're jealous, even if you're not, isn't a cute look.

It isn't a cute look?

This is great.
More judging for judging. :lol:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1421204657|3816073 said:
Autumnovember|1421204489|3816072 said:

Yup! This right here. Although I don't wear my large diamond to work, there are many days I don't dress the part. If you're giving me side eye because I don't match your expectations, I'm laughing on the inside. I wear what I want, when I want, and how I want. Making yourself out to look like you're jealous, even if you're not, isn't a cute look.

It isn't a cute look?

This is great.
More judging for judging. :lol:

I don't give side eyes, Kenny. Like I said, not a cute look. You can laugh on the inside instead.

And by the way, wondering who someone is screwing just because they're wearing a large diamond and working in a grocery store - WOW.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
:clap: lol.. ok- you got me, it's jealousy. I wish I can sport a 4ct diamond while ringing up your orange juice. :clap:

well ladies and gentleman, as much *fun* as this has been, i must go spend some quality time with the family.

good night!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris|1421205308|3816080 said:
:clap: lol.. ok- you got me, it's jealousy. I wish I can sport a 4ct diamond while ringing up your orange juice. :clap:

well ladies and gentleman, as much *fun* as this has been, i must go spend some quality time with the family.

good night!

I'm talking about the general public... it's not about you wanting to be that grocer or being jealous of that grocer. It's about whoever is judging ME, personally, about who I might be screwing for my big diamond. Like I said, if I catch someone giving me dirty looks while staring at my large ring, I laugh. Mainly because they just make themselves out to look jealous by doing that. That's it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever asked, "Who'd you have to screw to get that big kid?"

:doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results