shape
carat
color
clarity

I am worried about my ering setting, should I be?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A158F468-F6E8-4D43-838C-88AF94C163E4.jpeg 1E349B0D-1AA4-40DE-A527-0C43632D2BAB.jpeg 340DD266-E94A-4F41-A254-2E91F98BA1DD.jpeg EE9D9975-352D-42A5-B915-977F96246AE7.jpeg
I love my ring and it’s the only ring I wore almost everyday for 10 years, before I discovered PS. It is an antique setting with a MRB.

The issue is structure worries come up on a recent tread regarding delicate settings, and now I am a bit paranoid, as my ring is very delicate and I really don’t see how it can be repaired if damaged. But then again it has stood over years so far....

The setting is in platinum.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A158F468-F6E8-4D43-838C-88AF94C163E4.jpeg 1E349B0D-1AA4-40DE-A527-0C43632D2BAB.jpeg 340DD266-E94A-4F41-A254-2E91F98BA1DD.jpeg EE9D9975-352D-42A5-B915-977F96246AE7.jpeg
I love my ring and it’s the only ring I wore almost everyday for 10 years, before I discovered PS. It is an antique setting with a MRB.

The issue is structure worries come up on a recent tread regarding delicate settings, and now I am a bit paranoid, as my ring is very delicate and I really don’t see how it can be repaired if damaged. But then again it has stood over years so far....

The setting is in platinum.
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Platinum just redistributes but doesn’t wear down like gold. You should have the prongs checked at least once a year..less if you wear it 24/7. Your ring is lovely. David Klass would be able to do anything you need so don’t worry. Just keep an eye on it..but I wouldn’t worry. Enjoy it.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Mamabean ! I think that your ring looks fine. Very pretty, btw! A little dainty, yes, but not dangerously so. Like Mamabean said, have the prongs checked and wear it. Jewelry is for wearing and enjoying.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Mamabean - it looks like it's delicate but sturdy. Get the prongs checked (or check the with a loupe yourself and see if they're holding the stone securely) and otherwise keep wearing it. And maybe post a few more closeups for us - it's a lovely ring.:twisted2::P2

headlight

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL ring. I think with platinum you’re good but regular checks at the jewelry every 6-12 mos and you know you’re covered!

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
Just like designer bags, jewelry is meant to be worn :) Of course, I am guilty myself of worrying...I have a large opal, diamond and ruby ring that I am careful where I wear it, and a limited ed LV that I only bring out when I am confident I can take care of it (dinner, etc)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks delicate in style but completely fine, the shank isn't worn really thin at all IMHO, I have some rings I inherited and a couple of them are so thin in places they need fixing, that is more likely to occur in areas that have been resized in the past.

If it starts to develop any tiny cracks anywhere that is a different story. Keep an eye on it generally and it should be good for many years to come.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL ring. I think with platinum you’re good but regular checks at the jewelry every 6-12 mos and you know you’re covered!

I agree with @Mamabean ! I think that your ring looks fine. Very pretty, btw! A little dainty, yes, but not dangerously so. Like Mamabean said, have the prongs checked and wear it. Jewelry is for wearing and enjoying.

I agree with @Mamabean - it looks like it's delicate but sturdy. Get the prongs checked (or check the with a loupe yourself and see if they're holding the stone securely) and otherwise keep wearing it. And maybe post a few more closeups for us - it's a lovely ring.:twisted2::P2

Thank you all for your kind compliments on the ring, I think it is pretty too and have not really seen any like it.
@foxinsox this is as close up as I can get with my phone without it becoming out of focus, have much to improve on the photo taking skills...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't got any further advice to add, but just wanted to add that your ring is absolutely beautiful, and such an amazing treasure :love: Lucky lady!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This ring is beautiful and I used to own a very similar antique platinum setting. The way they fabricated rings 100 years ago was very different than today. They are hand made, and the forging methods yield incredibly strong metal. Honestly, I don't even think the great hand forgers of today can approach the same level of skill that many craftspeople had in that period, at least as for as delicate durability. Anyway, enjoy your ring! It is lovely.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh what a lovelly ring
please keep wearing it
its too lovelly to sit at home in a drawer

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't got any further advice to add, but just wanted to add that your ring is absolutely beautiful, and such an amazing treasure :love: Lucky lady!

This ring is beautiful and I used to own a very similar antique platinum setting. The way they fabricated rings 100 years ago was very different than today. They are hand made, and the forging methods yield incredibly strong metal. Honestly, I don't even think the great hand forgers of today can approach the same level of skill that many craftspeople had in that period, at least as for as delicate durability. Anyway, enjoy your ring! It is lovely.

oh what a lovelly ring
please keep wearing it
its too lovelly to sit at home in a drawer

Thank you ladies, my husband who cares nothing about bling got very lucky when he went shopping for a “recycled ring”. It was literally what he requested from the jeweler. He had no idea what my ring size was (it was very important for him that the proposal was a surprise) it turned out to be a perfect fit!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies, my husband who cares nothing about bling got very lucky when he went shopping for a “recycled ring”. It was literally what he requested from the jeweler. He had no idea what my ring size was (it was very important for him that the proposal was a surprise) it turned out to be a perfect fit!
thats awfully romantic :kiss2:
your husband did good =)2
so did the sales person serving him ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results