shape
carat
color
clarity

I am sad and upset.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:02:34 PM
Author: MeddlingKids
Scott Kay will set the stone? I just assumed I would have Whiteflash do it since I''m not buying the setting from Scott Kay directly. What would be the benefit of having SK do it rather than WF?

well there are two different arguements. many times it''s nice to have the vendor whom you purchase the stone from set it b/c they''ll take responsibily for the stone while it''s being set. However, I do know that Pearlmans for example, who sells designer settings always sends the stones to the designers to be set b/c he said most of the time the settings get messed up when the local jewelers try and set them and there have been a few examples here that this has happened too. Anyway, I''m 100% positive WF will do a great job setting your stone, I just wondered why you decided to do it that way
1.gif

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:10:41 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Scott Kay will set the stone? I just assumed I would have Whiteflash do it since I''m not buying the setting from Scott Kay directly. What would be the benefit of having SK do it rather than WF?

well there are two different arguements. many times it''s nice to have the vendor whom you purchase the stone from set it b/c they''ll take responsibily for the stone while it''s being set. However, I do know that Pearlmans for example, who sells designer settings always sends the stones to the designers to be set b/c he said most of the time the settings get messed up when the local jewelers try and set them and there have been a few examples here that this has happened too. Anyway, I''m 100% positive WF will do a great job setting your stone, I just wondered why you decided to do it that way
1.gif
I don''t really have a preference. I just want the best setting with the most protection possible. For instance, who will insure the setting if the diamond should happen to fall out? I understand common insurance does not cover this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally the vendor would order the setting in your size and with the head the size for your stone from Scott Kay and send them your stone to set. Are you saying you bought a Scott Kay setting in-stock and it happens to be the right size?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 6:16:11 PM

Date: 2/7/2007 6:10:41 PM

1.gif
I don''t really have a preference. I just want the best setting with the most protection possible. For instance, who will insure the setting if the diamond should happen to fall out? I understand common insurance does not cover this.
You need special jewelry insurance that will cover your ring and stone in case of loss. Contact Chubb and Jeweler''s Mutual for quotes. Who sets the stone has nothing to do with what happens if the stone falls out, unless some kind of gross negligence can be proven, and I wouldn''t count on that.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:16:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Normally the vendor would order the setting in your size and with the head the size for your stone from Scott Kay and send them your stone to set. Are you saying you bought a Scott Kay setting in-stock and it happens to be the right size?
I imagine I would need to order the settting from the vendor. So I would buy the stone from Whiteflash, send it to the vendor, and they would set the stone for me at Scott Kay?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do you mean while it''s being set? if so, i would think WF will b/c it''s their stone and scott kay probably will b/c they are a big designer company who take responsibily for other peoples stones all the time.

Now, once it''s set and on her finger, you should get the whole ring insured either though homeowners or rental insurance as a scheduled rider or puchase a seperate jewelry policy from Chubb or Jewelers Mutual or something similar.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:19:22 PM

I imagine I would need to order the settting from the vendor. So I would buy the stone from Whiteflash, send it to the vendor, and they would set the stone for me at Scott Kay?

This is how I''d probably do it. Have WF send your stone to the vendor you are purchasing the setting from and have that vendor send the stone to scott kay to be set.

again, though, check with the vendor you are purchasing your setting from to make sure you''d be covered.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:21:59 PM

Do you mean while it''s being set? if so, i would think WF will b/c it''s their stone and scott kay probably will b/c they are a big designer company who take responsibily for other peoples stones all the time.

Now, once it''s set and on her finger, you should get the whole ring insured either though homeowners or rental insurance as a scheduled rider or puchase a seperate jewelry policy from Chubb or Jewelers Mutual or something similar.
the best scenario would be to have wf set the stone since they will take complete responsibility for the stone during setting.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock

For some reason, I was under the impression homeowners/rental insurance wouldn''t cover a diamond that fell out of the setting while being worn.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock

You should get insurance on the ring so that if something were to happen to it, it will be covered. Some jewelers will cover damage to the diamond during the setting process like chipped girdles etc but you have to ask because each jeweler is different. Shipping insurance will cover it while it is in transit but once in your hands, you will need to insure it against damage, even if the damage is the diamonf falling out, because proving negligence is difficult.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:24:27 PM

For some reason, I was under the impression homeowners/rental insurance wouldn''t cover a diamond that fell out of the setting while being worn.
Everyone is faster than me . . . hehehe
Our insurance covers theft, loss and damage. Ask your insurance company.
Also, you have to "declare" it or list it as a add-on to your home-owners insurance.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

everyone''s policy is different and you should check your homeowners/rentals. Most of the time you have to have a scheduled jewelry rider but it will cover the ring if anything happens, loss, stolen, run over by a car, down the drain....anything...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:24:44 PM
Author: hikerchick

You should get insurance on the ring so that if something were to happen to it, it will be covered. Some jewelers will cover damage to the diamond during the setting process like chipped girdles etc but you have to ask because each jeweler is different. Shipping insurance will cover it while it is in transit but once in your hands, you will need to insure it against damage, even if the damage is the diamonf falling out, because proving negligence is difficult.
right. if your jeweler will take complete responsibility for the diamond during setting, then having your own jeweler set the stone is a viable option. otherwise, it is just prudent to have wf do it, since they will for sure cover the stone.

if you want to explore this more, perhaps you should start a new thread so we don't totally hijack hikerchick's thread.
2.gif

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:30:25 PM

everyone''s policy is different and you should check your homeowners/rentals. Most of the time you have to have a scheduled jewelry rider but it will cover the ring if anything happens, loss, stolen, run over by a car, down the drain....anything...
I will have to look into this. It may be a good time to insure her earrings and my watch as well. However, given that we won''t live together until we get married, I suppose it would have to go on her homeowners.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:31:22 PM
Author: belle

right. if your jeweler will take complete responsibility for the diamond during setting, then having your own jeweler set the stone is a viable option. otherwise, it is just prudent to have wf do it, since they will for sure cover the stone.

2.gif

I do want to clarify in case of any confusion. I don''t think just any jeweler should set the stone even if they will take responsibility for it. When purchasing a designer setting I think it''s best for the designer to set the stone. The stories here of settings getting messed up is when the local jewelers do the setting. I agree with Belle, that if the designer or local jeweler won''t take responsibility for the stone then definitely have WF (or the vendor whom the stone was purchased) should set the stone b/c they will cover it.

sorry for the threadjack hikerchick
35.gif

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 1:17:12 PM

Date: 2/7/2007 11:53:52 AM
Author: MWG
Hey HikerChick,

Did you get this issue with Whiteflash resolved???

I am currently speaking with Whiteflash and Leon about doing a custom design for my soon to be fiancee and I too, expect exceptional quality out of a custom ring. And of course, I dont want to have any problems either, but if I do, I want to know that Whiteflash will stand behind their work and get it done right.

Please post back and fill us in on the outcome.

Thanks for listening and GOOD LUCK

MWG

We are still waiting . . . I was told by Leon that since they had problems with deterioration of the mold (I am guessing the wax mold) that they will be rebuilding the entire thing. We got a set of CAD images about a week ago and ''approved'' them . . . so I am guessing they must be casting and making the setting. We were going to call and check on the progress but my BF and I are hesistant to call because we don''t want a ''rush'' job . . . and don''t want to give them the impression that we are on any kind of time schedule. I do miss my beautiful diamond but parting with it is a small price to pay for getting a well done final ring.

They (WF) are working to get us a new ring with all our concerns fixed. I''d rather have it take a few weeks and get a beautiful final product. If we don''t hear from them by next week, we''ll likely call them then just to check on the progress of it.

I will most definitely update all of you when I know more. Thank you for asking about it.
1.gif

-hikerchick
Good luck to you hikerchick! I hope this works out for you. I am contemplating buying a ring from WF myself, so I look forward to hearing the resolution of this issue. I hope they send you a stellar product!
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 7:05:06 PM

Date: 2/7/2007 6:31:22 PM
Author: belle

2.gif

I do want to clarify in case of any confusion. I don''t think just any jeweler should set the stone even if they will take responsibility for it. When purchasing a designer setting I think it''s best for the designer to set the stone. The stories here of settings getting messed up is when the local jewelers do the setting. I agree with Belle, that if the designer or local jeweler won''t take responsibility for the stone then definitely have WF (or the vendor whom the stone was purchased) should set the stone b/c they will cover it.

35.gif
Sorry, too! But I think the stone needs to be insured by the buyer before it leaves the diamond vendor to go somewhere else. I think we established that this could be done.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 7:05:06 PM

35.gif

No problem
emotion-5.gif
. . . insurance is an important issue . . .

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 7:54:58 PM
Author: jaguar

Good luck to you hikerchick! I hope this works out for you. I am contemplating buying a ring from WF myself, so I look forward to hearing the resolution of this issue. I hope they send you a stellar product!
28.gif
I hope so too, jaguar and I will most definitely keep you guys updated as soon as I hear anything.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the update for anyone interested. I am going to do this in a summary type post with a timeline from the start for the sake of completeness and for those that don''t want to read the entire thread but want to see a synopsis.

Dec 18 - Heard from Bob at WF about a diamond I had expressed interest in a couple of weeks prior.
Dec 19 - We decided to buy the diamond and let Bob know to hold it for us
Dec 20 - We wired the money to WF
Dec 27 - Diamond shipped
Dec 28 - Picked up package and went directly to our appointment with the appraiser
Jan 12 - Shipped diamond back to WF to be set in one of their stock setting
Jan 22 - Received pictures of the ring (BF looked at them)
Jan 23 - Ring shipped
Jan 24 - Ring arrived. BF saw it, disapointed at workmanship, told me late at night.
Jan 25 - Called WF, started this thread, saw the ring myself, decide to send it back asap
Jan 26 - BF took the better part of the day, writing up detailed notes and drawing pictures and sent it back
Jan 29 - Spoke with Leon at WF who confirmed that they saw the issues, explained that it was caused by a deteriorating wax mold. Was told they would be remaking the ring from scratch.
Feb 12 - Pictures of remade ring sent.
Feb 13 - Told shipping would be delayed because Brian Gavin and Leon felt one or 2 other issues needed to be addressed. We told them to take as long as they needed to get us a ring we could be thrilled it.
Feb 27 - Ring shipped

Feb 28 - We got the ring and WF had fixed all the "dings", had aligned the head so the prongs were lined up properly. The sidestones were perfectly set and the channels were even and smooth. However, the center diamond was still tilted. Needless to say we were pretty frustrated. BF wanted to send it back the next day and just have them send us the diamond back. However, I REALLY LOVE the WF ACA melee and so I wanted to take it back to the appraiser before we made any decisions. We could see a space between the diamond''s pavilion and one of the prongs. The other 3 prongs were sitting flush with the pavilion. Given that this is a 4 prong setting, we were particularly concerned about the safety of the diamond. Though the ring is insured, I DO NOT want to deal with a lost stone.

Mar 1 - BF went to our original appraiser (I was at work) and had the ring looked at. The appraiser could see what we could see about the diamond being tilted. Agreed that the diamond could be set straight. But when asked if he thought the diamond''s safety was compromised, he said no that it looked safe and when asked if he would send it back to be fixed if it were his, he said "no". Wanting a second opinion, we booked an appointment with a second appraiser. We went to this appointment together. She also could see the tilted diamond but also felt that the safety of the stone was not compromised and she too said if the ring were hers, she would not send it back. She felt that messing with it more could just add problems instead of fix them. I was still concerned about the safety of the diamond in its tilted state. She taught me how to check for a loose diamond and this helped me feel a little better. We left there going back and forth on keeping the ring.

On our way back home, we got a call from Leon at WF. BF talked to him, told him what we were seeing. We expressed our see-saw emotions over the ring. On the one hand we were THRILLED, absolutely thrilled at the quality of the ring as far as the dings and the channels and the head but that we were feeling some disappointment over the tilted center stone.

At this point both my BF and I were tired of the whole ordeal and from my end, I just wanted it to be over. If 2 different appraisers didn''t think the safety of the diamond was compromised . . . well . . . I could live with knowing the diamond was tilted, something only BF and I would ever see since you have to look at the ring closely. If it were up to my BF, he would have sent it back but I am emotionally spent over all this, and I just didn''t want to send it back again. I was in the middle of talking him into just letting it be when Leon called. He told Leon, we''ll likely keep it but wanted a few more days (since we had 10 days) to decide if we were going to keep it.

I waited for the 10 days to pass before posting this because BF asked me to leave the final decision up to him. We are going to keep it, I guess . . . since he hasn''t sent it back yet and our 10 days are up. I had originally wanted a matching diamond wedding band but we will likely just get a plain band. In any case, I am glad all this is finally over and I am hoping it will all fade after he finally proposes . . . who knows when that will be . . . hope he doesn''t wait too long.

Anyway, there it is. Thank you again to those of you that provided me a place to vent my sadness on a day that was difficult for me and I promise to post "our story" and pictures once the ring is placed on my finger. Thanks again.

-hikerchick

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can''t wait to see your ring, hikerchick! I am sure it is beautiful!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope he doesn''t wait to long to propose. Can''t wait to see pics..

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed this thread the first time around, but I just read it all now...I am happy to hear that it has all seemingly worked out in the end...I can''t wait to see pictures of your ring!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Hikerchick. Glad to hear WF made you a new ring. I certainly wouldn't worry about the diamond being slightly crooked. I would agree with the appraiser that it's better to not mess with it.

Remember this - a diamond's girdle is faceted. The diamond is not smooth and round, rather it is a multi-sided shape. WF knows that having the setting perfect was a priority for you. Because of the faceting on the girdle, a perfectly aligned prong isn't necessarily going to catch the diamond on the flat part of a girdle facet. In order to secure the diamond, it may have been necessary to adjust the diamond's position so that the prong caught the girdle in the right spot.

This is my guess - I'm not an expert.

On a philosophical level, the fact that the ring isn't ultra-perfect is probably a better symbol anyway. No relationship is perfect, but if appreciated and treated correctly, it's a beautiful thing that is the source of tremendous happiness. Beautiful, just like that ring!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 11:54:35 AM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Hikerchick. Glad to hear WF made you a new ring. I certainly wouldn''t worry about the diamond being slightly crooked. I would agree with the appraiser that it''s better to not mess with it.

Remember this - a diamond''s girdle is faceted. The diamond is not smooth and round, rather it is a multi-sided shape. WF knows that having the setting perfect was a priority for you. Because of the faceting on the girdle, a perfectly aligned prong isn''t necessarily going to catch the diamond on the flat part of a girdle facet. In order to secure the diamond, it may have been necessary to adjust the diamond''s position so that the prong caught the girdle in the right spot.

This is my guess - I''m not an expert.

On a philosophical level, the fact that the ring isn''t ultra-perfect is probably a better symbol anyway. No relationship is perfect, but if appreciated and treated correctly, it''s a beautiful thing that is the source of tremendous happiness. Beautiful, just like that ring!

Just to clarify, it isn''t that the prongs are not perfectly alinged, the diamond is at an angle within the prongs. Does that make sense. The table of the diamond is not parallell . . . so for instance if you placed the ring upside down with the table of the diamond on the bench or other flat surface, the diamond is not sitting "flat", it is angled. In any case, I do agree with you on your philosophy about relationships . . .

let''s just hope he doesn''t wait too long to put that beautiful ring on my finger, I miss it already :)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 12:29:11 PM
Just to clarify, it isn''t that the prongs are not perfectly alinged, the diamond is at an angle within the prongs. Does that make sense. The table of the diamond is not parallell . . . so for instance if you placed the ring upside down with the table of the diamond on the bench or other flat surface, the diamond is not sitting ''flat'', it is angled. In any case, I do agree with you on your philosophy about relationships . . .
let''s just hope he doesn''t wait too long to put that beautiful ring on my finger, I miss it already :)
Hi Hikerchick. Yes I understand what you are saying completely, the diamond is at a slight angle.

What I am saying is that if the perfectly straight prongs could not grab the diamond securely and flushly on a girdle facet, something had to give. Rather than bend the prong slightly (since this would be a sore spot for you), maybe the diamond had to be shimmied a little to get it to sit securely. Does that make sense?

I hope your fiance-to-be doesn''t wait too long! I''ve been in that boat and the wait nearly killed me! I know you will be delighted when that gorgeous ring re-appears. Can''t wait to see pictures.
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 1:37:55 PM
Author: starryeyed
Date: 3/12/2007 12:29:11 PM

Hi Hikerchick. Yes I understand what you are saying completely, the diamond is at a slight angle.

What I am saying is that if the perfectly straight prongs could not grab the diamond securely and flushly on a girdle facet, something had to give. Rather than bend the prong slightly (since this would be a sore spot for you), maybe the diamond had to be shimmied a little to get it to sit securely. Does that make sense?

I hope your fiance-to-be doesn''t wait too long! I''ve been in that boat and the wait nearly killed me! I know you will be delighted when that gorgeous ring re-appears. Can''t wait to see pictures.
1.gif

Ah, yes . . . I see what you are saying, that is possible, I suppose . . . ah well, in any case, as long as it is safe in there that is the most important aspect.
I will be sure to post pictures as long as the waiting doesn''t kill me :D I think about the ring everyday (is that normal?)
And, everytime we head into the mountains, I am "holding my breath" in anticipation since I know he will likely propose while we are hiking somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results