shape
carat
color
clarity

I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!

Dreamer_D|1351362020|3293612 said:
My husband also thinks G color diamonds are brighter than diamonds in the I-J range. I think that is objectively true, now having owned so many diamond :rodent: White light return looks brighter in absense of any modifying tint. Or something.

I'll third you and your husband - it's not something I pick up on when I've only got one stone, but I got a chance to compare my 0.8 E to a K of almost exactly the same proportions and the E definitely looked brighter - it looked bigger, too, and I *know* that's my eyes playing tricks since the K was ~0.05mm bigger! I'm sure the opposite would be true of my J RB, but I haven't run into any good comps.

DS I haven't contributed as others say what I'm thinking better than I can! But... when you got your new RB you *loved* it as soon as you saw it, and it was obvious from your posts. You've had the chance to see these stones - some of them multiple times - if you haven't fallen in love yet, well, I'm not much of a believer in signs but I think that's gotta be a pretty big one, y'know? There can be lots of objectively pretty stones that don't make *you* swoon, but that's the most important bit!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I think one of the difficult things DS, is that this 1.81 stone is a hair's breadth (or out by a "bee's dick" as my kitchen guy might say) off what you would really want. It's so close to being perfect - cut, clarity, size, that the low end of one colour, as opposed to the high end, seems like something that is tempting to compromise on. However small nuances can make all the difference and one compromise could magnify rather than go away as the project continued. I too like the opinions of my family when making these decisions, there's a definite benefit to their fresh, much more detached viewpoint. I think it's great that you have the opportunity to have this diamond in your company for a while.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Demelza|1351401052|3293961 said:
diamondseeker2006|1351362748|3293621 said:
Dreamer, part of me thinks that if you and Dem are happy with J color, then I should be, too! I am thinking the difference is that both of you bought your diamonds in a setting and could see the whole package. That is my disadvantage.

I just asked my artist daughter what she thinks about the diamond since she saw it for the first time (her cross country team came in first place in the regionals today!!!) and she said she likes the facets better on the AVR but she likes the color better of my current diamond.

While I fully realize that my opinion is the only one that really matters, it is interesting to hear the opinions of those around me who know nothing about diamonds.

Well, there certainly aren't any "shoulds" here. There's nothing wrong with not being okay with the color. If you were to purchase this 1.8 AVR, would you still keep your MRB? Reason I ask is that I think just having a G color MRB makes me feel more okay with the color of my OEC. It's purely psychological because I vastly prefer the appearance of my OEC to my MRB and, if I had to choose just one, I would pick my OEC any day of the week. But I still like knowing that I have a G color stone even if I never wear it. It's silly and I am seriously thinking about selling my MRB, but I do think having both is really the best of both worlds if you can swing it.

Dem, I might keep the rb because I really like the stone and the setting and it goes perfectly with the Legacy band. And I think if I got an antique ring at a nice price, the color wouldn't matter as much. But for me to spend over $20k on a stone with much lower color than my rb, and to have it be my primary (or possibly only) e-ring, I am having doubts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1351401861|3293965 said:
Dreamer_D|1351362020|3293612 said:
My husband also thinks G color diamonds are brighter than diamonds in the I-J range. I think that is objectively true, now having owned so many diamond :rodent: White light return looks brighter in absense of any modifying tint. Or something.

I'll third you and your husband - it's not something I pick up on when I've only got one stone, but I got a chance to compare my 0.8 E to a K of almost exactly the same proportions and the E definitely looked brighter - it looked bigger, too, and I *know* that's my eyes playing tricks since the K was ~0.05mm bigger! I'm sure the opposite would be true of my J RB, but I haven't run into any good comps.

DS I haven't contributed as others say what I'm thinking better than I can! But... when you got your new RB you *loved* it as soon as you saw it, and it was obvious from your posts. You've had the chance to see these stones - some of them multiple times - if you haven't fallen in love yet, well, I'm not much of a believer in signs but I think that's gotta be a pretty big one, y'know? There can be lots of objectively pretty stones that don't make *you* swoon, but that's the most important bit!

Hey, Yssie! Thank you for stopping in! I always, always appreciate your input! I think I fell in love with the cut of this stone when I first saw it, but I did send it back because I thought Jon was getting some stones of higher color. So in a way, I should have known. I know you have talked about skin tone before, and I have basically average light beige caucasian skin and dark hair and maybe the champagne color of this stone just blends in with my skin tone too much. Just as I don't wear ivory or cream fabrics because white looks better on me. I am sure you're right. I just hoped I would perceive it differently this time!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Polished|1351413524|3293997 said:
I think one of the difficult things DS, is that this 1.81 stone is a hair's breadth (or out by a "bee's dick" as my kitchen guy might say) off what you would really want. It's so close to being perfect - cut, clarity, size, that the low end of one colour, as opposed to the high end, seems like something that is tempting to compromise on. However small nuances can make all the difference and one compromise could magnify rather than go away as the project continued. I too like the opinions of my family when making these decisions, there's a definite benefit to their fresh, much more detached viewpoint. I think it's great that you have the opportunity to have this diamond in your company for a while.

Thank you, Polished. As I just said to Yssie, I think I hoped it the color would not matter this time. But it is silly to spend money on something that is not exactly what I want. Unfortunately, that may not ever exist! But it still doesn't give me reason to do it! I can buy an antique ring for much less if I want a lower color.

I wouldn't consider sending this stone back until the hurricane situation is resolved, so I am likely to have it here a few more days. It is important to be sure. I just know poor Jonathan would really like to ring my neck, but he is much too nice to ever admit it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1351424665|3294015 said:
Demelza|1351401052|3293961 said:
diamondseeker2006|1351362748|3293621 said:
Dreamer, part of me thinks that if you and Dem are happy with J color, then I should be, too! I am thinking the difference is that both of you bought your diamonds in a setting and could see the whole package. That is my disadvantage.

I just asked my artist daughter what she thinks about the diamond since she saw it for the first time (her cross country team came in first place in the regionals today!!!) and she said she likes the facets better on the AVR but she likes the color better of my current diamond.

While I fully realize that my opinion is the only one that really matters, it is interesting to hear the opinions of those around me who know nothing about diamonds.

Well, there certainly aren't any "shoulds" here. There's nothing wrong with not being okay with the color. If you were to purchase this 1.8 AVR, would you still keep your MRB? Reason I ask is that I think just having a G color MRB makes me feel more okay with the color of my OEC. It's purely psychological because I vastly prefer the appearance of my OEC to my MRB and, if I had to choose just one, I would pick my OEC any day of the week. But I still like knowing that I have a G color stone even if I never wear it. It's silly and I am seriously thinking about selling my MRB, but I do think having both is really the best of both worlds if you can swing it.

Dem, I might keep the rb because I really like the stone and the setting and it goes perfectly with the Legacy band. And I think if I got an antique ring at a nice price, the color wouldn't matter as much. But for me to spend over $20k on a stone with much lower color than my rb, and to have it be my primary (or possibly only) e-ring, I am having doubts.

Would you ever consider a genuine antique ring/stone? As I'm sure you know, you could get a similarly sized J color stone for far less than 20k! For me, there is something very liberating about antique jewelry. I don't have the same perfectionist hang-ups with my antique pieces and enjoy them so much more than I ever did my MRB in all its various mountings. Some of that is me changing, but some of that is being able to appreciate the character and beauty in something made 100 years ago as opposed to something made today with the goal in mind of being technically "perfect". I too would have a hard time spending that kind of money on a modern stone if something as important as color was even a niggling concern. You could keep your MRB as is and then find some amazing genuine antique ring for quite a lot less! Just a thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dem, that would be the best way that I could justify keeping the rb (getting an antique ring). Some of you have had fantastic luck (skill) in finding gorgeous, gorgeous stones/rings. I am open to that idea and was mainly looking at the other route because it seemed easier and I knew I could get a well cut stone.

I am confusing myself a lot because I just went outside with the AVR and it looks white enough. What I am seeing with this stone is that it absorbs more environmental color than the G with fluoro does. So when I am inside my kitchen with dark wood cabinets and hardwood floors, the stone looks pretty brown. Through my tinted car windows, the stone looks champagne color. Most of the walls in my house are beige with cream trim, so you can gather what that does. It's totally white under fluorescent light, like in my closet and laundry room! Even the champagne color is very pretty, but I just don't want a stone that other people would perceive as yellow.

Maybe I need to go show it to my older daughter and just ask her what she thinks about it not mentioning color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dem, that would be the best way that I could justify keeping the rb (getting an antique ring). Some of you have had fantastic luck (skill) in finding gorgeous, gorgeous stones/rings. I am open to that idea and was mainly looking at the other route because it seemed easier and I knew I could get a well cut stone.

I am confusing myself a lot because I just went outside with the AVR and it looks white enough. What I am seeing with this stone is that it absorbs more environmental color than the G with fluoro does. So when I am inside my kitchen with dark wood cabinets and hardwood floors, the stone looks pretty brown. Through my tinted car windows, the stone looks champagne color. Most of the walls in my house are beige with cream trim, so you can gather what that does. It's totally white under fluorescent light, like in my closet and laundry room! Even the champagne color is very pretty, but I just don't want a stone that other people would perceive as yellow.

Maybe I need to go show it to my older daughter and just ask her what she thinks about it not mentioning color.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hear you DS! Colour is something that I personally can be pretty flexible about but oh, I went through *dozens* of stones looking for a specific crown and LGF! And I sacrificed clarity to get it. We all have our priorities and things we have a really hard time compromising on... I think colour and clarity are two of those things for you. I do worry that if you decide to keep this AVR those chameleon effects will always bother you. You don't spend all of your time outside after all, and IMO it's not something you should be forcing yourself to try to ignore :sick:

Your stone IS out there!! I too am wondering if a well-cut antique of high colour & clarity might be more "mind clean" in other aspects - price, timing...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1351474878|3294474 said:
I hear you DS! Colour is something that I personally can be pretty flexible about but oh, I went through *dozens* of stones looking for a specific crown and LGF! And I sacrificed clarity to get it. We all have our priorities and things we have a really hard time compromising on... I think colour and clarity are two of those things for you. I do worry that if you decide to keep this AVR those chameleon effects will always bother you. You don't spend all of your time outside after all, and IMO it's not something you should be forcing yourself to try to ignore :sick:

Your stone IS out there!! I too am wondering if a well-cut antique of high colour & clarity might be more "mind clean" in other aspects - price, timing...

Thanks, Yssie! I am glad there are others who understand the OCD nature of some of us! :lol: I am just a little worried that my imaginary perfect stone will never exist because it involves cut, color, clarity, and size!!!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think since you want a chunkier old style cut, then NO, the imaginary ideal stone for all those specs might not exist! Or it might if you wait a long long time for something through Jon.

Color. I see what you mean in a sense "If its good enough for Dreamer and Demelza, why not me too?" I was fortunate in that I did not know what color my stone was when I first saw it. The seller said "G" color, which I knew was unlikely. So when I first opened the box on the street outside the FedEx :lol: I had the good fortune of forming my opinion about the diamond with no preconceived notions. I looked at it and cut took about one millisecond to judge. Then I thought it looked mighty white! Used my loupe and could not find the inclusions. Win!

It was only later when I had it in my car and I noted the chameleon effect that I started suspecting the stone was in the J-ish range. My jeweler thought it was an I color when mounted. When we popped it from the mount we were both shocked at the body tint. But by that point I did not give a hoot, because I already loved the stone and knew it was perfect for me in the ways that mattered most: cut and price. And the setting.

Anyways, yeah, you SHOULD be ok with an I color. You should have been ok with the I SI1 that was a high I with fluor! :lol: That's a compromise I would have rather you made :devil: But you know this is all in your mind, right? I mean, you are searching for mind clean, trying to satisfy mental requirements: not too yellow that people notcie, not too big they notice, perfect cut, VS clarity etc etc etc. That is a tough row to hoe. My experimentation with old cuts -- No lab reports :o No cut evaluation tools but my (well educated) eyes :o -- well this experience has really softened my own "mind clean" issues. I don't wish it on anyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: Well, I might could find and old stone that I'd like, but I am not sure I have the fortitude to do it! You really educated yourself as you ordered stones and compared them, and that is smart. I think it slightly bothers me that I would basically trade a 1.6 G VS1 for a 1.8 I VVS. That is a relatively small size increase but a pretty big drop in color. And of course, I don't care about the VVS. It's just there and I'll pay a little for it if the stone is the right one otherwise. But then when you get to tinted colors, you can shop old cuts at a lower price. So in a way, pricing does enter into it.

That I SI1 unfortunately didn't have fluoro. That would have been even better! I just couldn't do the 8.2mm. It just looked too big. Had it been the right size, I think I would have taken a shot at it even with the SI1. I am comfortable with my 7.5mm stone and I really like the 7.8mm even better, and I perceive that I may be able to go to 8mm in an old style cut. But I just have to have a cut off and that 8.2mm stone would have been too noticeable a jump. It surely was a high I color, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I am probably going to send this beautiful stone back partly because I think they have other interest in it. And I don't need multiple e-rings, but I need ONE that is exactly right. This one just wouldn't work with my diamond band that is F-G color and I can't just sacrifice a Tiffany band. The RB I already have is great...love the Vatche Tiffany setting, color (G), etc. I DO get compliments on it from sales clerks in stores because it is so well cut and looks great in store lighting! The size is not large by PS standards, but since it is in the upper size and quality end of the people I am around most, it is comfortable for me and not really too small or too big (although PS most definitely causes me pangs of DSS!!!). So I may as well be content with what I have until the day comes that the right AVR or old cut comes along. If I find the perfect old style cut, then I will probably sell the 1.58 rb. My older daughter was no help because she said that she didn't have preferences so much about loose stones because she is all about settings, for example, she really loves my Beaudry sapphire ring.

I have a couple of RHR projects that are not complete because I was putting the AVR project first, but now I just think I will set my mind on completing at least one before the holidays.

I want to thank all of my dear friends here who care enough to tell me the truth and provide caution and advice when I need it! That's what true friends do, and I appreciate it so very much!

And Jonathan...I can't say enough how great he is to work with! I know he must really want to strangle me but he has the patience of Job. Thank you sincerely, Jon, if you happen to see this!

D

Deactivated member 42515

diamondseeker2006 said:
Well, I am probably going to send this beautiful stone back partly because I think they have other interest in it. And I don't need multiple e-rings, but I need ONE that is exactly right. This one just wouldn't work with my diamond band that is F-G color and I can't just sacrifice a Tiffany band. The RB I already have is great...love the Vatche Tiffany setting, color (G), etc. I DO get compliments on it from sales clerks in stores because it is so well cut and looks great in store lighting! The size is not large by PS standards, but since it is in the upper size and quality end of the people I am around most, it is comfortable for me and not really too small or too big (although PS most definitely causes me pangs of DSS!!!). So I may as well be content with what I have until the day comes that the right AVR or old cut comes along. If I find the perfect old style cut, then I will probably sell the 1.58 rb. My older daughter was no help because she said that she didn't have preferences so much about loose stones because she is all about settings, for example, she really loves my Beaudry sapphire ring.

I have a couple of RHR projects that are not complete because I was putting the AVR project first, but now I just think I will set my mind on completing at least one before the holidays.

I want to thank all of my dear friends here who care enough to tell me the truth and provide caution and advice when I need it! That's what true friends do, and I appreciate it so very much!

And Jonathan...I can't say enough how great he is to work with! I know he must really want to strangle me but he has the patience of Job. Thank you sincerely, Jon, if you happen to see this!
Awww... I'm sorry DS. I'm happy but sad for you. I'm glad you made the decision to wait, I'm sure it was hard. But I'm also sad because I was hoping it would be sooner rather than later for you. Dust that you find that magic combination of size, color and clarity.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh, I'm sorry you've come to the decision to return it. So close but yet so far. You definitely gave several stones "the old college try" and you sure wanted to find the right stone.... Maybe in time, it will present itself. It's hard to let go of a dream, even if its just a temporary letting go of one. Thanks for all details in the posts you made- they were all very enlightening!

Hoping the right AVR for you is just around the corner.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry that you're in this position but I feel in my heart that it's the right choice for you. Just too much niggling doubt. It has been a learning experience though and I know that there is a stone out there for you. Just as soon as you take your focus away. . . there it will be! Faith is what keeps us going through so many things. . . so forward we go! Jon knows what you are looking for and I'm sure he will keep his eyes and ears open on your behalf!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1351541553|3295007 said:

I admire your honesty DS ::)

I'm sorry to hear that this stone wasn't for you after all, but... like MGR I must confess to a bit of relief too, as you just seemed so undecided about the whole thing. I *do* think that another stone that could make you very happy is out there, if you decide you want to keep looking for it, and you've got a really spectacular ring to hold you over in the meantime :love:

ETA gosh, I sound like such a stick in the mud, I know! I'm not actually 'relieved' - more that it was pretty clear that you didn't feel that any of them were just right for you, and for the amount you'd be spending, and for it to have any prayer of actually getting worn alongside your RB, it'd really have to be just right, y'know?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YayTacori and Enerchi...thanks so much for your support!

MGR and Yssie....yep, you two knew from the start that I probably couldn't sacrifice color even though the stone was fantastic in every other way! It is sort of a curse to be so particular, but in some ways we become more educated and discriminating in regard to our particular tastes the longer we are here. I do love a beautiful rb and don't want to give one up unless there is something that I am 100% sure I would like even more. Ideally I'd like to keep this diamond just because I like it, but I'll have to see what comes along. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Outside of size, color is the next thing most readily noticeable in diamonds - at least from the casual observers point of view. Some large inclusions would not be noticed unless carefully scrutinized; color is apparent IMO. If you truly think this will be your forever ering - and it will be if you sell the 1.58 down the road - it has to be right for you! I'm proud of you for not settling!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Good for you, diamond camel. Keep trudging slowly but surely through the diamond desert until your oasis
has your :love: :love: :love: rock! Hard to wait, I know, but so worth it. Proud of you for not compromising and being true to yourself :appl: You must have lovely children if this is the sort of example you set.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1351547034|3295093 said:
Outside of size, color is the next thing most readily noticeable in diamonds - at least from the casual observers point of view. Some large inclusions would not be noticed unless carefully scrutinized; color is apparent IMO. If you truly think this will be your forever ering - and it will be if you sell the 1.58 down the road - it has to be right for you! I'm proud of you for not settling!

You know me well and I paid attention to your warnings from the beginning! I am glad I did not settle, either!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

backwardsandinheels|1351548061|3295106 said:
Good for you, diamond camel. Keep trudging slowly but surely through the diamond desert until your oasis
has your :love: :love: :love: rock! Hard to wait, I know, but so worth it. Proud of you for not compromising and being true to yourself :appl: You must have lovely children if this is the sort of example you set.

Oh, what a sweet thing to say! Thanks so much!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Diamond camel :lol:

You know this is the right decision! Just be patient, the right stone will come through. And in the meantime, why not plan settings? You know it will be an AVR in the 7.8mm range. T'would be a nice distraction?

Anyways, if it helps, I know how you feel in some small way :)) I am working on a pendant project and between saving the pennies and looking for *just* the right stone, it is going to take me a goodly while :rodent: So -- Eyes on the Prize!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1351550167|3295136 said:
Diamond camel :lol:

You know this is the right decision! Just be patient, the right stone will come through. And in the meantime, why not plan settings? You know it will be an AVR in the 7.8mm range. T'would be a nice distraction?

Anyways, if it helps, I know how you feel in some small way :)) I am working on a pendant project and between saving the pennies and looking for *just* the right stone, it is going to take me a goodly while :rodent: So -- Eyes on the Prize!!

You've been a major help, too, Dreamer! Thank you! You're right...the prize is worth waiting for! And good point about the setting issue. I was feeling very confused about that as well. So I can be thinking about that, too!

Good luck on your stone search, and let me know if you see any outstanding antique rings!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

You know, this is going to seem a little wacky, but you are looking at spending a lot of money. How about planning a little vacation, you and the Mr., to the LA area? Visit Single Stone, Victor Canera? It would be SO worth the money, and its a lovely part of the world for a short winter vacation! A nice weekend away? I bet it would make SUCH a difference for you thinking about settings.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I think you made the right choice. I just picked up a J OEC that I set - although this stone faces up mighty white, the body color is bothering me in the one day I wore it! Some moments it is mighty white and can't tell at all ... other moments when I can see the side, the body color bothers me. I think I may need to reset and hide the color.

Lessons learned - if it is your e-stone, stick with a color you are comfortable with. I have learnt this for sure now ... my next big stone purchase will be H or higher to replace my e-ring stone. My J OEC and M Transitional are beautiful but will never make it to my ring finger.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1351553213|3295181 said:
You know, this is going to seem a little wacky, but you are looking at spending a lot of money. How about planning a little vacation, you and the Mr., to the LA area? Visit Single Stone, Victor Canera? It would be SO worth the money, and its a lovely part of the world for a short winter vacation! A nice weekend away? I bet it would make SUCH a difference for you thinking about settings.

:lol: I have to really laugh at the thought of taking my hubby with me! That would be about like him taking me to Porsche car shows or something! He is really great about wanting me to have jewelry, but he is soooo not a shopper!

BUT, that would be super fun to do! I had wanted to go to NYC, too, but not in the winter. I agree that seeing settings would make a huge difference. That really is the whole problem!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo|1351556384|3295242 said:
I think you made the right choice. I just picked up a J OEC that I set - although this stone faces up mighty white, the body color is bothering me in the one day I wore it! Some moments it is mighty white and can't tell at all ... other moments when I can see the side, the body color bothers me. I think I may need to reset and hide the color.

Lessons learned - if it is your e-stone, stick with a color you are comfortable with. I have learnt this for sure now ... my next big stone purchase will be H or higher to replace my e-ring stone. My J OEC and M Transitional are beautiful but will never make it to my ring finger.

Okay, well thank you for that confirmation, Charmy! That makes me feel a little better, but I am sorry it causes you some problems! I will be interested to see what you get as an e-ring stone, too! I am at H or higher as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Uh oh, Charmy's going to have to pony up now if she wants a near colorless! Can't find those on ebay!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I think you made the right choice DS! If you would have kept that stone, you may have always been disappointed by the color and wished you would have waited. I am color sensitive like you (maybe even more so) and I don't think I could do and I colored stone either, even in an AVR.

I'm sure the right one will come along and you'll be happy you waited!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results