shape
carat
color
clarity

I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!

stargurl78|1351602159|3295560 said:
I think you made the right choice DS! If you would have kept that stone, you may have always been disappointed by the color and wished you would have waited. I am color sensitive like you (maybe even more so) and I don't think I could do and I colored stone either, even in an AVR.

I'm sure the right one will come along and you'll be happy you waited!

Thanks a lot, stargurl! Sometimes I just have to see things and try them to really know my preferences, and I just prefer higher cut, color, and clarity over a large size. The great thing is, there are diamonds for everyone's taste!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

DS - I need some guidance.

I am seriously torn between this stone and the one I have on hold, a 1.63ct D VS2.

I love the faceting of the 1.81 and the face up is great! I've seen a few videos of it and it is just so beautiful! I don't mind the lower crown/ larger table.

I enjoy my diamonds colorless or brown/pink, not yellow. I've never had a D color diamond (my e-ring is in the colorless to near colorless range) so I am curious about the D. I like the faceting of this stone too and clarity is nice. And it's not *that* much smaller than the 1.81ct.... so I tell myself.

I am a color sensitive person. I saw wintotty's 3ct+ K color AVR with brown/pink undertone (is that the right term?) and knew I could definitely live with that!!! Oh, I would love to live with your stunning AVR, what a dream!

I was wondering if you could help me figure this out!! I'm afraid you are the only one who can....

Is the 1.81 more yellow or brown/pink?

You had mentioned that the 1.81 seemed to take on the coloring of its surroundings. Did your other AVRs act this way?

I'm thinking about a thin full bezel with the profile exposed, so one could see the bottom half of the stone and a bit of the crown. Do you think the tint would show?

Do you think the 1.81 is truly an I color? I've seen this stunner next to a K and it looked quite the same as the K in terms of tint, and more tinted next to a J. How could this be?

Thanks for any guidance you may provide and I apologize for my many questions. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi! :wavey: First of all, I love these stones and am more than happy to help if I can!!!

The first thing to know is that over the months I was seriously looking at AVR's, my spec limitations kind of evolved, I guess! At first, I didn't want to go below H color and wanted to stay under 2 cts. The D stone was the same size as the diamond I had, so I did want to go up a little in size, so the 1.81 I color stone was the obvious choice. The problem at that time was that I had only had F-G diamonds on that finger for 30+ years, so it was a big adjustment for me to consider I color. The 1.81 is absolutely fabulous face up, but I could see the tint from the side sometimes. I looked at other I and J color stones, and I felt like it was in between the two. And I definitely ruled out J. However, like you, I believe that I might really be able to have that brown tone that Wintotty has in her K. I would love to see that stone just to see the brown tone! But back to the 1.81, it didn't look yellow, but I'd say maybe champagne. There was some lighting I could see the slight tint face up, but I now believe that was only when I was wearing my G with strong fluoro next to it. I don't think I could see it otherwise.

As far as the D stone goes, the listing is down so I can't look at it at the moment, but I remember it as a gorgeous stone. It would maybe be better for a setting that exposes the pavilion. But I think the I color stone would be okay, too. All I can tell you is that Wintotty had a D color AVC and then she decided she wanted an AVR, and told Jon she could go much lower in color in order to go larger in size. I personally prefer a near colorless at least for an e-ring for myself, but I would go into the lower colors on an AVC!!!

That 1.81 is an amazing stone, and I think the best solution (if you live in the US) is to have them send you the 1.81 to look at and send it right back if you don't want to keep it or if they are sending it to setter for you. You'll have to pay the shipping (which I did several times), but it is worth it to be sure about your color tolerance. I just had to see the stones in person, and I maybe saw 5 in all before I finally ended up with the one I did. The prices were higher on the 2 ct I's when I was first looking and that is why I didn't consider them in the first place.

If there is any way at all you could stretch up to the 2.12 I VS1, that is an outstanding stone and is my next favorite available (and I almost ended up with it!). But under 2 cts, I'd probably still go for the 1.81, because that stone really has a beautiful facet pattern and you'd get a little extra size! It was my first love, too!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

Always so insightful and willing to help, you are wonderful, DS. :)) Your post was very helpful indeed.

Yes, I live in the States and I think you're right to take a look at the stones in person. How many can I view at a time? Do I have to purchase them to see them? I have no clue how it works.

I too enjoy colorless stones myself, but I have no idea my threshold for "too tinted." So like you said, I think need to see the stones in person.

Here are a couple of videos David shot for me:

1.63 D and 1.81 I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXwzIL1g4M

1.63 D and 1.91 J (another I was considering but didn't love the faceting, still amazing!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-_Z6IpJ6Q

The 2.12 is a bit out of my price range. It is a gorgeous stone and over 2 carats! I think I need to work up to 2 carats... I might be a bit overwhelmed by the size at this point.

I would love your input on the video between the 1.63 and 1.81.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elysian|1372700082|3475429 said:
Always so insightful and willing to help, you are wonderful, DS. :)) Your post was very helpful indeed.

Yes, I live in the States and I think you're right to take a look at the stones in person. How many can I view at a time? Do I have to purchase them to see them? I have no clue how it works.

I too enjoy colorless stones myself, but I have no idea my threshold for "too tinted." So like you said, I think need to see the stones in person.

1.63 D and 1.81 I

1.63 D and 1.91 J (another I was considering but didn't love the faceting, still amazing!)

The 2.12 is a bit out of my price range. It is a gorgeous stone and over 2 carats! I think I need to work up to 2 carats... I might be a bit overwhelmed by the size at this point.

Thank you! I am glad I could be of some help! Trust me, for 7 years I stayed at the 1.6 mark and at times even that felt too large because my original e-ring was 1 ct. But at some point, I realized that if friends thought a 1.6 ct was big, what difference did it make if I went to 2 cts?! haha! But as I said, it took me a LONG time to get there, so I understand! Only the AVR's tempted me to go that large!

I also had the 1.91 J stone here and I preferred the 1.81 I over that one. Yes, you have to pay in full for them to send them out to look at. Any of the times I looked at two stones at the same time, they had my old diamond in their possession selling it o consignment for me. So that usually covered one stone and the other I had to put on a credit card temporarily.

Oh, I LOVE the video of the 1.63 and the 1.81!!! Both are GORGEOUS so your decision is one of either color or size!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
Elysian|1372700082|3475429 said:

1.63 D and 1.81 I

Thank you! I am glad I could be of some help! Trust me, for 7 years I stayed at the 1.6 mark and at times even that felt too large because my original e-ring was 1 ct. But at some point, I realized that if friends thought a 1.6 ct was big, what difference did it make if I went to 2 cts?! haha! But as I said, it took me a LONG time to get there, so I understand! Only the AVR's tempted me to go that large!

I also had the 1.91 J stone here and I preferred the 1.81 I over that one. Yes, you have to pay in full for them to send them out to look at. Any of the times I looked at two stones at the same time, they had my old diamond in their possession selling it o consignment for me. So that usually covered one stone and the other I had to put on a credit card temporarily.

Oh, I LOVE the video of the 1.63 and the 1.81!!! Both are GORGEOUS so your decision is one of either color or size!

I am so glad I asked for help. I'm one to try to do it all on my own even if it kills me... you know, the hard-headed type, lol.

Yes, the size is a sensitive issue for me as well for exactly the reasons you mentioned...friends and the social circle. I live in one of the major U.S. cities, but people around here don't wear big diamonds, unlike a city like NYC. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb or stir up envy... at the same time, I would love a bigger diamond ring. Finding balance between the two is the key, I think... the range I'm looking at seems to be ok.

Ok, I have to pay in full to view, that changes the viewing situation, lol. I think I will heed your advice and view the 1.81 and go from there...color or size. Excellent advice. Thank you. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are most welcome and I look forward to hearing what you think when you see it in person!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1373991721|3484032 said:
Hey DS, I'm sure youve probably already seen this, but if not, seems meant to be- plat VC and I think the center stone is the same size

http://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/platinum-van-craeynest-448-setting

Just thought of you

That is so sweet of you, Niel! I have been in touch with Angeline and love her setting! It is amazing that the head is the right size. I even talked to VanC about what they'd need to do to set my stone, etc. But when it came down to it, my first love is the 484 and I felt like I might always regret buying one for the great deal. It killed me to pass it up, but I need to be 100% sure before I set this stone! No more setting changes after it gets reset into an antique style setting! And I am happy to say that I saw today that Angeline has sold the setting! So it all worked out for the best! Thanks so much for thinking of me, though!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

I'm always late to the party, but Diamondseeker2006...

your new AVR is so B E A U T I F U L ! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love in Bloom|1376459032|3502642 said:
I'm always late to the party, but Diamondseeker2006...

your new AVR is so B E A U T I F U L ! :wavey:

Thanks so much, LIB!!! :wavey: But this was not the diamond I ended up buying! I was trying hard to get one last fall partly because of the setting issues. But that was not to be.

Here is my thread of the stone I actually bought in May. There are some better pictures on pages 4, 5, and 7, I think.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-29-ct-avr-take-1.190100/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-29-ct-avr-take-1.190100/[/URL]

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock

Yep... stunning. I'm so glad you posted pictures. I feel the antique diamond love spreading. :Up_to_something: I can't wait to see how this all works out because whatever you end up with will be perfection.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nowicanseethemoon|1376501358|3502907 said:
Yep... stunning. I'm so glad you posted pictures. I feel the antique diamond love spreading. :Up_to_something: I can't wait to see how this all works out because whatever you end up with will be perfection.

Thank you so much! But this thread is old and I ended up buying a different AVR from Good Old Gold.

Here is my thread of the stone I actually bought in May. There are some better pictures on pages 4, 5, and 7.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-29-ct-avr-take-1.190100/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-29-ct-avr-take-1.190100/[/URL]

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock

I see that now... This morning I just saw August and thought it was new. Then when I saw 10 pages I was like :confused: When I actually took time to READ, I see that it was a year ago. 8) Oy...

dha404

Rough_Rock

Hi diamondseeker2006- I have fallen in love with AVR!! Could you tell me if your profile pic is a AVR and the specs? I love it!!!!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results