shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m resetting my tapered baguette setting..

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would update what I did with my previous setting that was saved...David found me new tapered diamond baguettes in vs h color. He used my really well cut ones in my reset. These are a little slimmer but were able to be set in the setting nicely. I’ve been having a really hard time finding a gem to put in the setting because it’s so low profile. Most gems are deeper than my diamond was...I was reaching out to everyone...I decided to have it set with a temporary Swiss blue topaz from Mastercut Gems. This way I can get my setting back from David and look leisurely for a gem. I’ll be happy to get my setting back. I’m so grateful @SimoneDi for nudging me to keep my setting. I’ll share a pic when it’s done..:kiss2:

Sounds great @Mamabean! Looking forward to seeing it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
3C5B166B-A059-4D66-8FCB-0BBD3BC521EE.jpeg C481C99D-7E43-48E0-8378-281FB465DDB2.jpeg 664FEEF9-0205-4978-803A-E810CECB90CC.jpeg
An update on my previous low profile setting. I had trouble finding a gem shallow enough to be the same width and depth to fit in the ring. My setting had been with David since the beginning. He set new diamond baguettes because the previous ones are now set with Libby in the new setting. I asked a few cutters and it didn’t work out. I then contacted Dana at Mastercut gems to see if he had anything. He said he could cut an aquamarine to fit by fudging the angles. It didn’t work but he cut a Swiss blue topaz that would fit! I bought it..and sent it to David to set. It will be temporary until I find another gem. I just got the photos from David. He mistakenly called it a Zircon because it does look like one! I think Dana did a nice job!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was a zircon too. That's such a beautiful, vibrant blue!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay...I love the height of my new setting..and everything about it...but the milgrain and the thick bezel around the baguettes are bothering me. I would also want the points to be softened. If I had to do it again I would just prong set the baguettes and do without the bezel. I just emailed David. I’m certifiable crazy...or I’m a PS’er..hahaha TBC unfortunately..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Half of my post disappeared and it’s too late to edit. I emailed David..He was a sweetheart and said he can try to remove the milgrain, round the points and thin out the bezels. If I don’t like it then I will have to have it recast..omg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I'm glad to hear this, @Mamabean. I find the bezel jarring with the prong-set center, and I LOVE your original setting. I agree - slightly higher is nice, and makes your diamond more visually central, and I completely understand what you mean about corner prongs making a round diamond look square. But, were it me (and of course, it's not), I would have skipped the bezels altogether and gone for a lighter look. I also think it's difficult to make your round the star of the show when you've got bezeled traps at the bottom; the bezel makes them so substantial, they sort of duke it out with your round for prominence.

Anyway, I'd give some serious thought to doing away with the bezels altogether; I think you'd get a lighter, airier look which would be very pleasing to the eye. Better balance, and all that.

Good luck with this - I'll be following along!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I'm glad to hear this, @Mamabean. I find the bezel jarring with the prong-set center, and I LOVE your original setting. I agree - slightly higher is nice, and makes your diamond more visually central, and I completely understand what you mean about corner prongs making a round diamond look square. But, were it me (and of course, it's not), I would have skipped the bezels altogether and gone for a lighter look. I also think it's difficult to make your round the star of the show when you've got bezeled traps at the bottom; the bezel makes them so substantial, they sort of duke it out with your round for prominence.

Anyway, I'd give some serious thought to doing away with the bezels altogether; I think you'd get a lighter, airier look which would be very pleasing to the eye. Better balance, and all that.

Good luck with this - I'll be following along!

I’m glad you said that @mrs-b..I never expected that the bezels would make the baguettes look so chunky. I think I’m going to ask David to prong set them..or set them like my previous setting. I think I should just go ahead and have him recast the ring. I’m still happy with the extra two prongs..and the higher setting..Do you think I should set them like my previous ring or prong set them? I’m leaning towards setting them like my previous setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my money, definitely like they were previously set. I LOVE that way of setting baguettes - really emphasizes the architectural feel of them. Very elegant.

Good! I just emailed him saying the same thing just before I came back to check what you said! Thank you! <3

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
It's all about getting it right! And we PSers know sometimes things need to be adjusted. And as much as we try, we never really know how things are going to feel once we have it on our finger and live with it a little while. I'm happy you're making it with your desired adjustments! I just love your 6 prong center with tapered baguettes, it doesn't get more classy than that.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's all about getting it right! And we PSers know sometimes things need to be adjusted. And as much as we try, we never really know how things are going to feel once we have it on our finger and live with it a little while. I'm happy you're making it with your desired adjustments! I just love your 6 prong center with tapered baguettes, it doesn't get more classy than that.

Thank you @bling_dream19 David is a saint. I emailed him four times with added thoughts. He replaced my original baguetttes with baguettes he sourced for me to put in my previous setting. I’m going to mail him both rings to see which baguettes are slimmer...If the colors are the same I told him to swap them and use the thinnest pair as long as they are as white as Libby. I think the ones with the blue stone are slimmer...but he’ll be able to compare them in person. I give myself a headache.

L

lydial

If you look at my avatar for the final product, and review my posts for history, you can see I also agonized over the angles and dimensions of the 3 stone baguette-MRB-baguette setting. Currently I am on my THIRD such setting, including my second one by Leon Mege. Of them all, my current one (by the crafters working for Wink) is my favorite. It is so delicate. The proportions are beautiful. I can wear a band with it. To my eyes it is even more pleasing than the LM setting, which was perfection but had a smaller center rock (1.58 compared to my current 2.66 ct - same baguettes). In fact, I recently sent my current back because I had panicked the lower portions of my prongs were not structurally solid enough because it is so ephemeral looking... It was re-evaluated - it is all in my head obviously, and I was reassured, and had the ring sent back to me polished and shiny. Apparently even a person like me can wear a dainty, light-appearing ring! (I am truly not a heavy woman, just big-boned!). I am happy to post my CAD's... The only thing adjusted since the CADs was the portion under my finger I had reduced from 2+ mm to 2 mm.

L

lydial

If you look at my avatar for the final product, and review my posts for history, you can see I also agonized over the angles and dimensions of the 3 stone baguette-MRB-baguette setting. Currently I am on my THIRD such setting, including my second one by Leon Mege. Of them all, my current one (by the crafters working for Wink) is my favorite. It is so delicate. The proportions are beautiful. I can wear a band with it. To my eyes it is even more pleasing than the LM setting, which was perfection but had a smaller center rock (1.58 compared to my current 2.66 ct - same baguettes). In fact, I recently sent my current back because I had panicked the lower portions of my prongs were not structurally solid enough because it is so ephemeral looking... It was re-evaluated - it is all in my head obviously, and I was reassured, and had the ring sent back to me polished and shiny. Apparently even a person like me can wear a dainty, light-appearing ring! (I am truly not a heavy woman, just big-boned!). I am happy to post my CAD's... The only thing adjusted since the CADs was the portion under my finger I had reduced from 2+ mm to 2 mm.

Sorry I can not find my final CAD - I did the "great email clean out" this summer and probably axe'd it...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I can not find my final CAD - I did the "great email clean out" this summer and probably axe'd it...

Thank you @lydial I love your ring..The slim baguettes are so pretty. I’m determined to use at least one pair of my two pairs of baguettes..haha..I told David to pick the slimmest of the two pairs..I think once the bezels are gone..it will look better. Anyone other than PS’ers would think I was nuts. I’m not even telling my family. My husband would have stress over it..thereby giving me stress..so it’s our secret.

L

lydial

Thank you @lydial I love your ring..The slim baguettes are so pretty. I’m determined to use at least one pair of my two pairs of baguettes..haha..I told David to pick the slimmest of the two pairs..I think once the bezels are gone..it will look better. Anyone other than PS’ers would think I was nuts. I’m not even telling my family. My husband would have stress over it..thereby giving me stress..so it’s our secret.

I fully understand, You have no idea! My baguettes are not really that lean, just my fingers are huge (I wear a 9.25 ring now, which 20 years ago was about an 8.25) and my center stone now matches the baguettes (which were in my original engagement ring!) Data finding from my old post my baguette sizes are as follows: 6.1 mm (long), 2.4mm on the wide end...1.8mm at the short end. and the post getting help with my current setting is here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-some-tapered-baguette-setting-advice.247018/
AND I still have my sad empty LM setting - I want to scrap the metal but platinum is not worth anything right now! You are so lucky you were able to re-use yours!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the thread jack but I’d love to see a pic of the empty LM setting. Just for fun. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I fully understand, You have no idea! My baguettes are not really that lean, just my fingers are huge (I wear a 9.25 ring now, which 20 years ago was about an 8.25) and my center stone now matches the baguettes (which were in my original engagement ring!) Data finding from my old post my baguette sizes are as follows: 6.1 mm (long), 2.4mm on the wide end...1.8mm at the short end. and the post getting help with my current setting is here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-some-tapered-baguette-setting-advice.247018/
AND I still have my sad empty LM setting - I want to scrap the metal but platinum is not worth anything right now! You are so lucky you were able to re-use yours!
Thank you for posting the dimensions of your baguettes. I only have the dimensions from my previous setting..but will check it out! I’ll also read your thread!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I'm glad you are going to revise the bezels on the baguettes. I love your setting with six prongs, but the side stones weren't as complimentary as they could have been.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I'm glad you are going to revise the bezels on the baguettes. I love your setting with six prongs, but the side stones weren't as complimentary as they could have been.
I knew it when I first saw it @Wewechew but I was trying to not be picky. I really didn’t like it. I also asked for the shank to be thinner.

L

lydial

@Mamabean, @PreRaphaelite, @Wewechew here are some pics of the current setting and my LM... this is more an aesthetic analysis not the ring condition. In all honesty I did not follow Leon’s “rules of engagement” and When I was gifted a pave anniversary band by my husband I wore it with the LM ring. The pave band trashed the LM prongs. It took about 2 years. It is even on both sides. It was me!! No criticism of him. My current setting is a tiny bit loose and never worn next to razor sharp serrated pave!!! Also adding my lame attempts at photographs of my K CBI :) E50C2BC0-00FB-48F1-88D3-547CBD6A8DE3.jpeg B1173DFA-29B4-4912-B9AF-F9AB41B11D8B.jpeg N DB2550A1-498E-4007-93BF-577CAC8494D0.jpeg 78A95CDE-D1E2-441C-8A99-C9EC611081F2.jpeg

L

lydial

@Mamabean, @PreRaphaelite, @Wewechew here are some pics of the current setting and my LM... this is more an aesthetic analysis not the ring condition. In all honesty I did not follow Leon’s “rules of engagement” and When I was gifted a pave anniversary band by my husband I wore it with the LM ring. The pave band trashed the LM prongs. It took about 2 years. It is even on both sides. It was me!! No criticism of him. My current setting is a tiny bit loose and never worn next to razor sharp serrated pave!!! Also adding my lame attempts at photographs of my K CBI :) E50C2BC0-00FB-48F1-88D3-547CBD6A8DE3.jpeg B1173DFA-29B4-4912-B9AF-F9AB41B11D8B.jpeg N DB2550A1-498E-4007-93BF-577CAC8494D0.jpeg 78A95CDE-D1E2-441C-8A99-C9EC611081F2.jpeg

And... I was never thrilled by the hallmark. 3F19A01E-7141-47DB-898B-6902CCD638F5.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love your CBI..and it looks perfect in your setting!
I broke down and bought a knife edge band to put in between my eternity and engagement ring. I resisted at first but now I think it looks fine. I’m starting over with a new engagement ring setting so it will be protected. If I add up all the setting tries I could have had a million dollars setting...haha

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love your CBI..and it looks perfect in your setting!
I broke down and bought a knife edge band to put in between my eternity and engagement ring. I resisted at first but now I think it looks fine. I’m starting over with a new engagement ring setting so it will be protected. If I add up all the setting tries I could have had a million dollars setting...haha
Regarding adding up all the money on settings... I totally hear you on that one!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding adding up all the money on settings... I totally hear you on that one!!!

Hold my beer. Seriously.

On the other hand, I reset because I like all different sorts of things and because I'm still upgrading my diamond. So it's more like a hobby than a destination. As soon as I accepted *that*, I was fine with it and it didn't seem so bad.

I'll upgrade my diamond again in the New Year and go back to a solitaire. I love my 3 stone - it's perfect in and of itself - but there's something so easy about a soli, and I miss it. I'm also going to do a pave band - a look I've always loved but, strangely, have never had. And on and on it goes.

It could be worse. My hobby could be gambling....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results