shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irene

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
My in-laws were supposed to fly over here for the wedding through Philadelphia. We don't know if they'll make it... :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My neighbor at our beach house called us and said the water is in our backyard and the power has been gone since 11 pm last night so our sump pumps in the basement aren't working. That means that water has filled the basement and we do not know about the house. We also do not know if our breakwall held as the water is way over it and you cannot see what is going on. But thank goodness no one is hurt there. That's the main thing.

I want to drive down to our house as soon as we are able but right now we are waiting for the brunt of the storm here in NYC. The eye should be here in about 30 minutes or so. I spoke to my mom who lives about 30 min from us in Brooklyn (she's across from the ocean there) and they are flooded too. Oy. I am not looking forward to surveying the damage at our house but the main thing is that everyone remains safe! Stay safe everyone!! I cannot wait for Irene to be gone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1314511213|3003296 said:
gemgirl|1314510498|3003292 said:
My puppy just woke me up to take her out. When she got outside, she decided she didn't want to go anymore. I hope this is over soon. The dogs are not going to want to go out in this.

I suppose that it's not surprising that my puppy, who looks like a two ton truck, refuses to go outside to relieve himself either, then. What goes on on your side of the pond, goes on on my side! I feel upset on his behalf; he looks at the door longingly, but when I open it, he looks out and won't go outside! Poor big, baby!!!

Deb
:read:

Which goes to show that animals are smarter than people sometimes LOL

Man, the winds are howling right now in NYC and I am scared. :(

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
My neighbor at our beach house called us and said the water is in our backyard and the power has been gone since 11 pm last night so our sump pumps in the basement aren't working. That means that water has filled the basement and we do not know about the house. We also do not know if our breakwall held as the water is way over it and you cannot see what is going on. But thank goodness no one is hurt there. That's the main thing.

I want to drive down to our house as soon as we are able but right now we are waiting for the brunt of the storm here in NYC. The eye should be here in about 30 minutes or so. I spoke to my mom who lives about 30 min from us in Brooklyn (she's across from the ocean there) and they are flooded too. Oy. I am not looking forward to surveying the damage at our house but the main thing is that everyone remains safe! Stay safe everyone!! I cannot wait for Irene to be gone!

Sorry to hear this Missy! But I am completely stunned to hear that you have basements at the beach! :shock: Does everyone have a basement where you are? That's bizarre!

Most beach houses in our state are up on eight- to ten-foot stilts, it's just a given that a foot or two of water will flood the yard and what is effectively the giant garage. There are a few ground-level houses in our area, but you have to wonder what people are thinking when they buy them; don't they see all the other houses around them up on stilts? Did they think it was decorative? I would think a foot or two of storm surge is normal at most beaches, so your basement is weird to me and I'm curious about it.

How high is your seawall? Maybe the neighbor is exaggerating, and it's only a big puddle in your yard. Did they say how deep it is?

I think NYC is going to be okay. Are you in a low-lying area?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Winds are gusting pretty high, rain heavy overnight but has now tapered off. I'm told that a lot of neighboring towns are without power, but my building still has it. Lots of flooding in neighboring towns.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's pouring and the wind is picking up here in northern New England but I'm not too concerned anymore now that it's been downgraded to a TS. The worst of it will arrive later today though, so we'll see what flooding there is.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
holy buckets of water from the sky!! the wind here is bad, but not crazy bad... yet! :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1314540535|3003429 said:
missy said:

Sorry to hear this Missy! But I am completely stunned to hear that you have basements at the beach! :shock: Does everyone have a basement where you are? That's bizarre!

Most beach houses in our state are up on eight- to ten-foot stilts, it's just a given that a foot or two of water will flood the yard and what is effectively the giant garage. There are a few ground-level houses in our area, but you have to wonder what people are thinking when they buy them; don't they see all the other houses around them up on stilts? Did they think it was decorative? I would think a foot or two of storm surge is normal at most beaches, so your basement is weird to me and I'm curious about it.

How high is your seawall? Maybe the neighbor is exaggerating, and it's only a big puddle in your yard. Did they say how deep it is?

I think NYC is going to be okay. Are you in a low-lying area?

Thanks for your concern ilander.

None of the homes in our area are on stilts. Believe it or not our house is not classified as in a flood zone. When we purchased it (just this past March!) we were surprised it was not in a flood zone. At least as of the last classification. My dh thinks we are going to be reclassified when they do that in the next year or so and knew that was a possibility at the time we purchased the house. We just fell in love so hard with this house.

Our seawall (bulkhead if it is still existing that is) is about 4 feet and then it slopes up another foot or so to our backyard so we are about 5 feet above sea level. Some houses by us have basements and some don't. We do though it is a partial basement. Sure our fridge and washer/dryer is fried right now. Our hot water heater and other utilities are in the basement so those may be gone as well :((

I would love to try and post a photo of the house and the backyard so you can see what I am saying. I am so bad at technology.
I am going to see if I can.

In NYC we are on a hill so we are OK (though power can still go as we have lost it a few times in past storms). My parents are in a low level lying area in Brooklyn (across from the water) however and they are flooded but not sure how bad it is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
let's see if this works...
this is (or was :(( ) our backyard.

beach house.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Front of our house before the Hurricane.

beachhouse.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Backyard from our bedroom window...

beachhouseviewfrombedroom.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
another view of our backyard.

beachhousebackyard.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our view from our living room.

beachouselivingroom.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our beach.

beachhousebackyardbeach.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I replied to the New Jersey thread, but wanted to copy my reply over:

We are in central jersey, 9 miles from the beach. Heavy rain and wind on Saturday night. We moved to the basement at 8pm when we found out there was a tornado watch in our area, and stayed there all night. Luckily, no flooding, no tree down, no power outage, just a few broken branches and lots of leaves on the ground. We installed two battery backup sump pumps in case we lose power, and also put a pump in the pool and another pump outside the basement door. We still got some water into the basement near the basement door and near the basement window, but it was manageable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
our bedroom and you can sort of see our view (but I posted a better pic earlier of the view from the bedroom).
Sorry I had to post it all separately. After all these years I still cannot do multiple photos in a post. Pathetic I know.

beachhousebedroom.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, I hope your beautiful home has minimal damage.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Tacori!!
I hope everyone remained safe and sound during Irene and continues to do so! Sending safe vibes to all!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I'm really crossing my fingers and praying your home is ok!!!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby and I made it home with the fur babies safely about an hour ago. The water stopped about a block away from our house. We had a tree go down where we normally park our cars so we are glad we left. Everyone is safe and OK!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah. Finally no power & water here. But at least our big, gnarly tree still stands!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1314543277|3003473 said:
let's see if this works...
this is (or was :(( ) our backyard.

Missy - i want to live in your backyard. It's magnificent! I hope the damage is minimal - I'm on the DE coast and we actually had two tornados in addition to the storm....weird.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1314544434|3003502 said:
Missy, I hope your beautiful home has minimal damage.

I agree. That's such a beautiful home!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314551798|3003617 said:
Missy, I'm really crossing my fingers and praying your home is ok!!!!

Thanks Autumnovember! It looks like we may be without power for at *least* 2 weeks! ;(
I am so anxious to go there and survey the damage. Since we recently moved we don't even have "people" to call. We have no idea who to call to help us with the flooding or how to get the water out of the basement and whatever else needs to be done. And since others are dealing with damage I know there won't be many plumbers etc around to call for help. But I am thankful no one (that we know of) was hurt. I truly am and that is the main thing.

Missy - i want to live in your backyard. It's magnificent! I hope the damage is minimal - I'm on the DE coast and we actually had two tornados in addition to the storm....weird.

LOL thanks Violet. You are more than welcome to come anytime!! At least as soon as we clean up and take care of what needs taking care of so there is no danger to you or anyone else.
Turns out (I didn't know this till 2 days ago when I was on line at Costco and speaking with a woman from Florida) that tornadoes accompany hurricanes! Who knew! Seems like we have had our share of mother nature and natural disasters in the last week...earthquake, hurricane and tornadoes!

Gah. Finally no power & water here. But at least our big, gnarly tree still stands!
That's great that your big tree still stands! I am hoping our trees are OK too...I really love our trees a lot!

Glad you and your furbabies are safe asscherhalo!

Thanks Bee...we fell in love with it when we first saw it but I wonder if a person like me is good with a home on the water considering I do not do well with stress like this...I just hope we can get everything back in shape OK. Sigh. Lots of stress this week and more to come I think.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Missey your home, yard, and view is absolutely goregous. Sending good wishes that it stays that way.

My state, Rhode Island, is a mess. Half the state has lost its power. We are lucky so far. Two cities have been closed to traffic because of the downed trees and power lines.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1314562937|3003755 said:
Oh, Missey your home, yard, and view is absolutely goregous. Sending good wishes that it stays that way.

My state, Rhode Island, is a mess. Half the state has lost its power. We are lucky so far. Two cities have been closed to traffic because of the downed trees and power lines.

Thanks Ruby. I'm really sorry your state is a mess. Right now the winds have picked up here in NYC and I am scared again. It is sooo windy I feel like it can blow the windows in right now! And I also do not want to lose power here too!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lost power here at 5:10 AM Sunday morning, August 28 and it wasn't restored until tonight, Monday night, August 29 at around 8:00 PM. We are among the lucky in Connecticut. 715,000 households lost power compared with the previous record (something like 435,000 in Hurricane Gloria). For a very small state that is really amazing! Some people won't have power for a week. (We lost it for five days during a snowstorm last winter.) And, unlike some of our neighbors, we don't have a generator. On the other hand, we weren't hit by any trees or flooded! Parts of the town were, of course, but not our house!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1314543382|3003474 said:
Front of our house before the Hurricane.

Exquisite!!!!!!!

Deb

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Deb. I am glad your power is back and that no damage occurred. Irene really did a number on a lot of people but thankfully most people got out safely. That is the main thing.

We just got back from the beach house it could have been worse so all in all we are relieved.
Our basement was in 3 feet of water since there was no power and the sump pumps couldn't do their job.
My husband and I bailed out the water around the hot water heater but I think that might be fried. The fridge/freezer had water up to the freezer part so I don't think that is salvageable. But thankfully the roof stayed on and no windows were broken so the house (besides the basement) was dry. That was the biggest relief.

We spent the day bailing water, putting stuff back in the backyard and front yard and side yard and just trying to save what we could in the basement. I am totally exhausted but happy the day is over. Wednesday my husband is going back and meeting our plumber to see what else we can do.

This has taught us a valuable lesson. We need a backup natural gas generator and we are going to find out how involved it is to install one to a natural gas line. Definitely worth the investment to protect our house. Power can go out for so many reasons and it can be unpredictable and being on the water we really need to be vigilant keeping that water out!

Funny thing is (according to our neighbors who have been there 20 years) we have never had a storm with such huge surges in the water. The water went over our breakwall into our backyard with the waves hitting our house! Thank goodness our breakwall pretty much held up. That was amazing in itself as it is a good 20 years old and they don't last much longer than that. That was on our to do list- building a new one. What a relief it held! There was a small area that gave way but that was giving way before the storm and it was in the corner and pretty much inconsequential in protecting us.

I hope everyone stayed safe during Irene and that life is getting back to normal and that everyone who had damage and/or lost power will soon be back to the way it was before the storm.

Thanks for listening to me vent these last few days. It really helps sharing thoughts and fears and just working through stuff. Much appreciated.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Missy - what a beautiful house! I'm so glad that it is (mostly) ok. Crossing my fingers that you get the basement fixed soon!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results