shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irene

purselover

Ideal_Rock
The rain is starting here in NY one of our best friends was in the evacuation zone in NYC so him and his bf are staying with us this weekend. We are stocked up on wine, water, and snacks - and I'm not going to lie I'm kinda excited about our hurricane slumber party - it's nice to have the extra company!

Hope everyone stays safe!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, still here (in NC). Not as bad as thought. Where I live, the worst was winds that brought down branches and left areas without power. But no flooding in local area. I was in a weird mood yesterday because it was so gusty and tropical (really humid, strange feeling) that I went to bed early. But it's been pretty low key. I even went out and had lunch with a friend. Everyone was friendly looking at the other people walking around during the hurricane. My husband even went to work!

Hope we miss the worse of it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many prayers going out that it doesn't amount to much more than a tropical storm at landfall. ((HUGS)) to all the PSers caught in it.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I am in CT - right along the shoreline of the Long Island SOund. Just some scattered showers today. Very humid when I went out running. The sun is now going down and we've been asked to stay inside. I'm going to make one more call to the hospital to see if anyone has failed to show for their shift and if there is an unusual volume of patients (I'm an emergency medicine physician) and then I'm hunkering down for the storm. I'm worried for our homeless patients.

Stay safe, everyone.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
wildcat03|1314487266|3002218 said:
I am in CT - right along the shoreline of the Long Island SOund. Just some scattered showers today. Very humid when I went out running. The sun is now going down and we've been asked to stay inside. I'm going to make one more call to the hospital to see if anyone has failed to show for their shift and if there is an unusual volume of patients (I'm an emergency medicine physician) and then I'm hunkering down for the storm. I'm worried for our homeless patients.

Stay safe, everyone.
Your right near me :)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WC03 - I'm in CT too. I hope the homeless have found shelter from this storm.

The storm shifted west, so it sounds like we'll be taking more of a hit. Even if it is only a tropical storm when it gets here, it will be here for a long time, and there will be a lot of rain. I'm most worried about trees coming down. We had 8 trees taken down earlier this year. They were dying, and one was a clean-up of a tree that had fallen on a power line in a regular storm. So, at least there's that. They were saying that the trees are really heavy right now, because we've had so much rain already, so I am worried about them. I'm thinking of taking a mattress downstairs and sleeping in the family room with the baby. I don't know that I'd be able to fall asleep upstairs. Sigh. I'm not really one to worry about storms and wasn't worried AT ALL a few days ago, because I RARELY watch tv and almost always avoid the news. Well, I watched a few excerpts here and there, yesterday and today, and yeah, I'm a little worried now!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Praying everyone is safe!!!

My FIL lives in VA and he said a tree fell and the power is out. They got 6 inches of rain in an hour! He said the Hurricane hasn't hit yet but we are wait and praying everyone is okay.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1314480496|3002024 said:
wakingdreams53|1314477505|3001943 said:
Evacuated Brooklyn and went Upstate. My flights been cancelled and moved to Tuesday. I pray all will subside by then.
Everyone in NYC is flipping out. There was traffic trying to get on the GW at 4:30am.
People were cutting us off, it was a nightmare. I can only imagine how bad it was when dawn broke.

Hi, wakingdreams-

I'm glad you made it safely. My husband is in northern Virginia. He said that, so far, it only seems like rain there, but he is very apprehensive. Apparently they are expecting the brunt of the hurricane to hit our area at around midnight. Trees fall like matchsticks around our house there. One massive one hit and broke the Great Room window once. One fell in our swimming pool another time. They hit the house. They miss the house. We are constantly having them cut down, but they continue to fall!

I am in Connecticut. All we have had here so far are light sprinkles on and off. A friend's husband showed up at our front door about half an hour ago asking if he and his family could stay with us, though. He said they were being evacuated. They live in a low-lying part of town, near the water. (We are on Long Island Sound.) We said, "Of course!" and started to bring in his teenage son and his cats' food, when he got a phone call from my friend (his wife) saying she had found another place for them to stay! So we are now alone again...except that I called and found that our 91 year-old next door neighbor is remaining alone in her house for the hurricane. I am glad I called. I had assumed she would be going to her daughter's house as she usually does for snowstorms during the winter! She didn't need anything. Like most native New Englanders, she is very self-sufficient. She was only worried about whether she would be strong enough to keep bailing out her basement when her the electricity failed and her two pumps stopped!

What are other people up to?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

ABGF, I'm in CT too and we have HUGE problems with trees falling (even for little storms). Year round we have trees cut down but we are surrounded by woods and there is a never ending supply just waiting to fall onto our house. Thank God we had some trees cut down last week that were ready to go! We've had a few VERY close calls and have had some damage in the past. My parents live on the beach so they are on their way to my house (trying to get here before they close the Meritt Pkwy). Anyways good luck as it arrives! And good luck to you too wakingdreams!!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Loves Vintage|1314491660|3002483 said:

The storm shifted west, so it sounds like we'll be taking more of a hit. Even if it is only a tropical storm when it gets here, it will be here for a long time, and there will be a lot of rain. I'm most worried about trees coming down. We had 8 trees taken down earlier this year. They were dying, and one was a clean-up of a tree that had fallen on a power line in a regular storm. So, at least there's that. They were saying that the trees are really heavy right now, because we've had so much rain already, so I am worried about them. I'm thinking of taking a mattress downstairs and sleeping in the family room with the baby. I don't know that I'd be able to fall asleep upstairs. Sigh. I'm not really one to worry about storms and wasn't worried AT ALL a few days ago, because I RARELY watch tv and almost always avoid the news. Well, I watched a few excerpts here and there, yesterday and today, and yeah, I'm a little worried now!

LV, I was posting the same time as you about our trees in CT. Good idea about sleeping in the family room. We are in a colonial and our family room is an addition off the back so my family and I will be sleeping in our formal living room on the first floor---better safe than sorry!! Good luck!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I'm in Western Massachusetts and it has been raining heavy all day today. We have done our shopping and brought all outside furniture in. Now, we are just waiting till the worst of it tomorrow!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lbbaber|1314492501|3002533 said:

LV, I was posting the same time as you about our trees in CT. Good idea about sleeping in the family room. We are in a colonial and our family room is an addition off the back so my family and I will be sleeping in our formal living room on the first floor---better safe than sorry!! Good luck!

lbbaber, How funny that we were posting the same concern at the same time! Now is about the only time I wish we lived on a clear cut lot! You're fortunate you had those trees taken down just last week. I'm glad to hear you and your family will be sleeping downstairs too! It makes me feel less crazy! Hopefully, it's a lot of worry for nothing, as worry usually is. Take Care and Good Luck with the storm! It's pouring right now!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Take care everyone. The east coast got hit hard this past week.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1314494428|3002694 said:

lbbaber, How funny that we were posting the same concern at the same time! Now is about the only time I wish we lived on a clear cut lot! You're fortunate you had those trees taken down just last week. I'm glad to hear you and your family will be sleeping downstairs too! It makes me feel less crazy! Hopefully, it's a lot of worry for nothing, as worry usually is. Take Care and Good Luck with the storm! It's pouring right now!

ANy wind in CT? Or just rain?

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
It wasn't to bad here in Raleigh. Just a few small branches blown out of trees and leaves everywhere! We only got about 2 inches of rain out of Irene. Go figure!

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Good luck to everyone affected by this!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Raining all day in baltimore, and it is finally really getting windy. I am really hoping to keep power though, as i have quite a stash of breast milk in the freezer, tmi haha...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann|1314494865|3002805 said:
Loves Vintage|1314494428|3002694 said:

ANy wind in CT? Or just rain?

Hi LizzyAnn :wavey: , So far, just rain. We had some light rain earlier in the day, but heavy rain didn't really start until it got dark. I'm not so good with time these days, so it looks like I characterize things really generally, like when it's light out vs. dark out. hahaha. In any event, my point, I think the amount of rain we got differs from what you reported above in W. MA. It does seem the storm has shifted quite a bit, so it's really hard to know what to expect! Hopefully, it's not bad at all, and we can all look back at this as another storm that wasn't as bad as predicted.

Stay safe!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
lbbaber, AGBF, and LovesVintage - nice to know I have some "neighbors" on here. All was fairly quiet at work so I am home, curled up with a glass of wine. It's looking like most of the flooding will be west of here and the wind damage will be in my area. No trees around me and I live on the 2nd floor of a 100 year-old converted factory building, so it's mostly wind shattering a window that I'm worried about.

I am not loving this discussion of "tornado watch."

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
South Jersey, outside of Philly...raining like crazy and the wind is really picking up! Hope everyone in it's path stays safe.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
wildcat03|1314496862|3003058 said:
lbbaber, AGBF, and LovesVintage - nice to know I have some "neighbors" on here. All was fairly quiet at work so I am home, curled up with a glass of wine. It's looking like most of the flooding will be west of here and the wind damage will be in my area. No trees around me and I live on the 2nd floor of a 100 year-old converted factory building, so it's mostly wind shattering a window that I'm worried about.

I'm in the tornado watch zone in NY, not fun. :errrr:

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
I live south of Boston....right now very quiet. No wind a lull in the rain. Attended the Caribbean Carnival and of course it poured during the parade. Now not much. Just saw a news update...approaching Norfolk, Va. This is moving very slow.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in Philly and there are tornado warnings for my area! :errrr: HALP.

I can't decide if I should be watching the news or not...the news has a tendency to make me panic!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Ughh it's really raining and starting to thunder/lightning ....I really really hope we don't lose power.

How's everyone else faring??

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I live just north of the barrier beaches on Long Island. We got our pets to a shelter this afternoon and just got ourselves to a shelter a few hours ago. We live in a major flood zone and just couldn't risk it. The Red Cross set up shelters here and we are so grateful. After this I will never forget to donate to the Red Cross, they really are life savers.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wildcat03|1314496862|3003058 said:

Hi, wildcat! I was glad to read you were in the area, too. I knew LovesVintage was. If I ever knew lbabber was here, I had forgotten it. (I have a terrible memory.) Elrohwen is also in this area, or was in this area. I don't think she moved! Perhaps she is on vacation. davi el mejor was in the area and did just move! He went from New Haven back to Buffalo. Then there is gemgirl who is right across Long Island Sound from us, so close that she absolutely always shares our weather!

There is starting to be some wind here, not much, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got knocked off-line at any time now! If I am, good luck to everyone! (Not that I am signing off voluntarily yet!)

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1314503027|3003232 said:
My husband and I live just north of the barrier beaches on Long Island. We got our pets to a shelter this afternoon and just got ourselves to a shelter a few hours ago. We live in a major flood zone and just couldn't risk it. The Red Cross set up shelters here and we are so grateful. After this I will never forget to donate to the Red Cross, they really are life savers.

It's good to know that you got yourselves to a shelter if you needed one. We're on the north shore but didn't need to evacuate. The Red Cross run shelter at the high school is only a mile from my house. So we're OK but it's pouring buckets out there. My puppy just woke me up to take her out. When she got outside, she decided she didn't want to go anymore. I hope this is over soon. The dogs are not going to want to go out in this.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl|1314510498|3003292 said:
My puppy just woke me up to take her out. When she got outside, she decided she didn't want to go anymore. I hope this is over soon. The dogs are not going to want to go out in this.

I suppose that it's not surprising that my puppy, who looks like a two ton truck, refuses to go outside to relieve himself either, then. What goes on on your side of the pond, goes on on my side! I feel upset on his behalf; he looks at the door longingly, but when I open it, he looks out and won't go outside! Poor big, baby!!!

Deb

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that my older son is in Providence suddenly both coasts became personal. He took a train to Boston and now says that even the train service is haphazard in view of the hurricane. I am very concerned but hoping that the things will quiet down.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
So I'm in Sterling, VA right now and the wind outside is getting pretty freaky. We have trees all around our neighborhood and they all look like they're dancing to some James Brown! :errrr:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Stay safe everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results