clarity

Hurricane Irene

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wakingdreams53|1314317328|2999731 said:
I really hope it doesn't get to the point of evacuating. I'm in NYC, it's supposed to hit us this weekend, around Sunday.
I have a flight on Monday... errrr, any recommendations on wth I should do?

For other NYers:
http://tv.ibtimes.com/hurricane-irene-2011-nyc-s-bloomberg-outlines-evacuation-plans-prepares-for-worst/1738.html

Can you change your flight to Tues (or tomorrow)? If you are not heading where the hurricane is headed that is.
No one can predict how devastating this storm will be and right now subway service in NYC will be suspended at least through Monday morning. I can only think flights at best will be delayed and at worst rescheduled for a later time/date.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm safely out of the way in the middle of the country, but watching and praying for everyone in the way of this hurricane.

My husband had business on Long Island back in 1985 when Hurricane Gloria was on the way. He bailed in the middle of the night as the storm approached and got into the rental car and drove to Pennsylvania and by morning it was pouring rain. He says the freeways in New York were deserted in the middle of the night. He made the right call. The business he was to visit was closed for days due to no electricity and storm damage, and he would have been trapped there for most of a week. As it was, he caught a flight home right away from Philly.

Be safe, everyone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am trying to stay calm. Many times we get these threats of huge damage...

This one is real. I am bracing for the storm of all storms...

My husband will be flying to Nantucket... My son is there solo..No sobs for DS, he just turned 21 and is having a great time. He's got family there..I would go too, but I don't want to fly in a small plane period...I am not a good flyer on a good day...I don't care if it's a Jet or what..

Sending prayers to all the PS'ers....

Please check in with us and let us know how you are... 8)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: everyone stay safe!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, this is scary! Everyone, please be careful and stay safe.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ok this may be an extremely stupid question but where should I put my car?

I am at my parents house in PA and they live in a townhouse. There are about 10 townhouses that face our townhouse so there are about 35 cars parked on my block.

We used to have a huge tree in front of our house but its no longer there and there really isn't anything that can fall over and hit my parents cars or mine but I'm wondering if I should move it somewhere else? I could move it to my best friends house and have it sit on her driveway which is a bit uphill....no trees whatsoever there and she lives in a single house. I know I should be a lot more worried about a lot of other things being damaged but my priorities are currently screwed up since I just bought this car...

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I'm scheduled to fly to NYC this afternoon. I hope the flight is still on, I heard cancellations are already taking place -- but the storm is not hitting New York till Sunday, right?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1314311045|2999642 said:
Hi ilander,
Thanks for your suggestions. Right now I am trying to keep it together. I called my neighbor at the beach and he hired a few guys and they moved our outdoor furniture for us. My dh is swamped at work so we cannot get to our beach house till tomorrow and I know traffic will be just awful since it looks like there will be a mandatory evacuation declared soon. Our house is right on the water and I am so terribly stressed but there is not much I can do. We are going tomorrow and raising equipment in the basement as high as we can and leaving. We cannot even really take the food in the fridges and freezers (we have 2 of them filled with tons of food) because I have no place to put them. Our NYC place might be hit too and the power might be lost there as well so :(

There is no chance it is not hitting us and in fact looks like it will be a category 2 now when it does hit us. I am worried. Really worried. The best I can hope for is that everyone stays safe and I will keep remembering it is just stuff. Even though it could be devastating.

The things to worry about at that wind speed is flying debris, falling limbs and the power outages. Check around your neighbor's property for loose chairs, umbrellas, etc. But, seriously, that's really not a bad wind speed, not hugely damaging. We had 150 mph come through our little town, and that was bad; roofs lifted off, giant trees felled, etc.

Before you head out, you should check with the beach town and ask if they are closing the bridges or roadways. Where we live, if the winds go above 40 MPH they close the bridge. Does your town have a website or emergency number?

Also, if you have an ipad on cellular this will be hugely helpful to check traffic as you drive. You'll see where the roads are clogged and you can route around. There are probably a ton of people with the same plan you have and you could get stuck.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1314323982|2999822 said:

My husband will be flying to Nantucket... My son is there solo..No sobs for DS, he just turned 21 and is having a great time. He's got family there..I would go too, but I don't want to fly in a small plane period...I am not a good flyer on a good day...I don't care if it's a Jet or what..

Hmmm . . . I don't like the sound of this at all! :-o Please ask your son to leave Nantucket and come back to the mainland. I don't like this, it worries me. Aren't they evacuating Nantucket? They should!

I'm just sayin' . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I checked the 11:00 update, and I'm starting to worry about everybody up north . . . :shock:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My prayers are going out to all in the path of this monster storm, be smart and stay safe!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stay safe everyone. That sounds really scary.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1314371778|3000245 said:
So I checked the 11:00 update, and I'm starting to worry about everybody up north . . . :shock:

LOL, thanks ILander. We're about 40 miles from where NOAA is expecting landfall in New England on Sunday. In fact, tomorrow we have a birthday party to go to right smack in the middle of the drop zone. Part of me wishes the storm were hitting us tomorrow so we didn't have to go! We're about 15 miles from Narragansett Bay so we shouldn't be affected by storm surges or anything, but flooding is an issue we're concerned about as well as debris.

Our basement flooded two years ago due to snow melt and I don't think the area has experienced 7-10" rain fall like they're forecasting since the development was built 5 years ago. So right now our focus is on securing our belongings in our basement. Which, luckily, isn't too much following the earlier flooding. Our parking lot is flanked by trees and other than our driveway, which fits one car, there's nowhere else to park out of harms way. So we're parking my car under the trees and DH's in the drive, since his is the newer, nicer one. We do have a baby, so I've stocked up on diapers and will be buying another half gallon of milk just in case.

Other than that my concern is WTF are we going to do for entertainment if we lose power! We're such technophiles, we're constantly on our phones, computers, nooks, etc. The ereaders are fully charged and we have books galore, but it will be an adjustment. LOL, how sad is that?

We have plenty of food (I might pick up some canned stuff tonight) and other essentials so we're good there.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I'm south of Phillly, so we're expected to get hit decently hard Saturday night into Sunday. Just went out at lunch to pick up some water and non-perishable food, but the rest of the area is way ahead of me. The water aisle at the supermarket looks like it has been looted.

I'm mostly preparing for an extended power outage - we live in a very heavily wooded area so if any lines go down there is a significant effort involved in getting them back up. Just hoping no trees go down on our house! Stay safe everyone!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1314382736|3000485 said:
iLander|1314371778|3000245 said:

LOL, thanks ILander. We're about 40 miles from where NOAA is expecting landfall in New England on Sunday. In fact, tomorrow we have a birthday party to go to right smack in the middle of the drop zone. Part of me wishes the storm were hitting us tomorrow so we didn't have to go! We're about 15 miles from Narragansett Bay so we shouldn't be affected by storm surges or anything, but flooding is an issue we're concerned about as well as debris.

Our basement flooded two years ago due to snow melt and I don't think the area has experienced 7-10" rain fall like they're forecasting since the development was built 5 years ago. So right now our focus is on securing our belongings in our basement. Which, luckily, isn't too much following the earlier flooding. Our parking lot is flanked by trees and other than our driveway, which fits one car, there's nowhere else to park out of harms way. So we're parking my car under the trees and DH's in the drive, since his is the newer, nicer one. We do have a baby, so I've stocked up on diapers and will be buying another half gallon of milk just in case.

Other than that my concern is WTF are we going to do for entertainment if we lose power! We're such technophiles, we're constantly on our phones, computers, nooks, etc. The ereaders are fully charged and we have books galore, but it will be an adjustment. LOL, how sad is that?

We have plenty of food (I might pick up some canned stuff tonight) and other essentials so we're good there.

That's why you keep a stash of board games and candles.

Seriously, my thoughts are with everyone up there. Please check in as you are able to guys!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt|1314383516|3000500 said:
I'm south of Phillly, so we're expected to get hit decently hard Saturday night into Sunday. Just went out at lunch to pick up some water and non-perishable food, but the rest of the area is way ahead of me. The water aisle at the supermarket looks like it has been looted.

I'm mostly preparing for an extended power outage - we live in a very heavily wooded area so if any lines go down there is a significant effort involved in getting them back up. Just hoping no trees go down on our house! Stay safe everyone!

A woman at Wegmans in Cherry Hill said they had sold over a month's projection of bottled water in one day yesterday! They're doing a pretty good job restocking things, but I have a feeling there's not going to be much left in the store by this evening.

ETA: I'm mostly worried about a power outage, too. I live in a big building with a generator, so I'm not too worried about the big stuff, but the appliances aren't on the emergency power circuits. So I plan to make a couple of grain salads tomorrow (quinoa-black bean with veggies and bulgur-lentil) in case I can't cook anything. Maybe I'll cook a chicken breast or two, as well. I also stocked up on apples, peaches, bananas, and cereal. Everything will get eaten regardless of whether we lose power or not, but I'll feel better if I know I've got some food pre-made! I'm also making sure all our ice packs are frozen in case they're needed...

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I used to have friends who lived on Nantucket (Ken & Bobbie Giles) though I lost touch with them many years ago. They kept asking me to visit them on the island but I never did.....sorry, Nantucket just reminded me of them...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
iLander's Hard-Learned Bits of Advice

Buy bags of ice now, cover your freezer food with them. If the power is out for a long time, the food will spoil and smell. Ours was out for 14 days in total, and we came back to black liquid oozing out of our fridge. The chicken in our freezer looked like a giant, swollen, putrid, purple bruise. It was my job to clean the fridge. :shock:

Be sure you have a phone that doesn't require electricity. Remember those princess phones? We had phone lines about 6 days before our power came back on.

Can opener that doesn't require electricity.

Grind your coffee beans now. I have been known to bash the beans with a hammer and make coffee on the fire with a pot of water. It was awful. :lol:

Chain saw good. Gas chain saw gooder. Gas to put in chain saw best. :D

Many water and sewer lines require power to operate the lift and pump stations. Prepare for no water and no sewer. Bathtub full and bucket for the toilet. Rubbing alcohol, peroxide, bandaids for the little cuts/scrapes that happen when you clean up. We had no potable water for 5 days and the little scratches got infected and red, even with the alcohol.

Sturdy pair of rain boots or thick shoes. If you get a lot of rain, the ground will be muddy and nasty. I sunk up to my knees in the yard.

Do NOT pay the "yard cleanup" guys until AFTER your yard is cleaned up. Many in my state were ripped off by con men.

If you are leaving, leave early and go far. One time we evacuated but we only went about 40 miles. Then that particular city turned off their power as a "safety precaution". WTH?!! Drive inland at least two-three hours.

Don't forget your pet's meds! And some aspirin or whatever you take. It helps at 5 am while you're waiting for another NHC update.

Do NOT open your windows to "relieve pressure". The wind will get in and push your roof off from the inside. The function of window taping is to minimize the cracking if something hits the glass. The idea is to keep the wind out so it's not a "wind, oh!". Tape accordingly.

Books, magazines. No electricity required.

Feel free to read my old hurricane adventures topic, I tried to put advice in there, too.

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
We're starting to get some rain and breezy conditions here in NC. We've been moving things off the floor all day in the garage and our storage building since it does flood where I am. We've also had to move two of the lower cars to another persons home. Thankfully, we don't have any trees close enough to the house to fall on it. Hopefully this one won't be as bad as Isabel was back in 2003. I hope everyone stays safe and has minimal damage!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be safe where ever you are on the east coast!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in DE on the coast, and we had a mandatory evacuation for visitors yesterday and an evacuation for locals tomorrow morning. I think they are evacuating everyone east of the highway - we are west (a little) so we will be staying where we are. I grew up here so i've been through a LOT of hurricanes, but the'yre saying this one is going to be the worst one since Hurrican Hazel in the 1950s. My dad, who lives a block from the beach and never leaves during hurricanes was told by the police chief today that this was going to be worse than we've seen before and he REALLY should evacute - he'll probably be coming here.

I think as far back as we are from the beach (2 miles), we shouldn't be getting much water damage, but the wind will be strong. The main concern is the power outage. The power company left us a message today that said to prepare for power outages and that they will likely last for some time. I'm a little concerned about being without power for a few days. I teach part time at a college and they have already canceled classes for Tuesday.

I'm really hoping it levels off somewhat before it gets to us...and praying the damage everywhere is minimal....

EDIT: I Lander - thank you for your advice - i just sent the hubs to get extra ice and charcoal in case we have to grill out to eat.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mscushion|1314344197|3000014 said:
I'm scheduled to fly to NYC this afternoon. I hope the flight is still on, I heard cancellations are already taking place -- but the storm is not hitting New York till Sunday, right?

You're lucky you're flying in today because everything in the five boroughs of New York City will be shut down from noon tomorrow on. No mass transit and not much entertainment in the city will remain open. Museums are closing. A good number of Broadway shows will go dark. I imagine the restaurants will have a field day though. People always like eating out. Even if the sky is falling!

The storm begins here tomorrow night and will end Sunday night. It's being called "a monster of a storm" on the news.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're ready. We've prepared for the worst, but are hoping for the best. (A canned sentence that I've heard newscasters say a hundred times today!) Thank heavens we live ten minutes from the water because they are mandatory evacuations in some beach front towns.
We're a safe distance away.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please try not to worry honey. I'm with you, I wouldn't fly in a small plane now either! Just hunker down with Callie and I'm not a cat person but maybe bring the new kitty inside. Will you have your DD for company? I know you'd feel so much better if she was there with you.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Before we bought our current house we put an offer on an oceanfront home, but lost to another bidder. Not long after we decided we'd rather be a few miles in and have more acreage. When it was gorgeous out this summer I would say "That oceanfront home would have been really nice today". Today, I'm really glad we didn't get that house. I would probably be 1,000 times more worried.

As it stands, I think I'm going to venture to the grocery store tonight. Usually I'm not the type to "stock up" before a storm, but we're low on food and I really want to bake a pie after reading the pie thread...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sending dust & prayers that everybody stays safe.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was supposed to go back to VA for a big combo b-day party for me, my twin sister and a couple of my friends, but I'm staying put. I keep going back and forth, but I think it would be stupid to go there when the hurricane is coming right up the coast. :((

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
In Virginia Beach.

Heading to my mom's house tomorrow with my babies.

They downgraded the storm to a Cat 1 so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results