shape
carat
color
clarity

Hubby said yes to a 3 stone EC diamond ring for our 40th!!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All. So, I get my PriceScope newsletter every week and looking though all the threads are one of my favorite things. I’ve always been attracted to rectangular diamonds. I currently have a 2+ ct. Radiant with a halo. I love my ring but years ago I saw my neighbor’s 3 stone emerald cut and have not been able to get it out of my head. I’m a little nervous buying online, even though I know all of you have done it. One question I have is, if I’m looking at stones online, how can I go to a jeweler and ask him to evaluate the stone if I’m not buying it from him??
I don’t have a time frame and want to take my time to find the stones that are perfect for me. I’ve been scouring the forum reading all about EC’s - to the point that I started seeing the same posts popping up the further I went on. I think, from my reading, I’ve learned that I probably want a F or better color, 3ct for the center stone (not sure if I want smaller EC’s or traps for the side stones - leaning towards EC’s but want the right proportion to not take away from the center stone). L-W ratio around 140. I don’t think I’d mind some fluorescence. VVS1 or better preferred but I know that depending on the location and type, small inclusions can be OK. I read a less thick girdle is better. Of course, I want a lot of fire and flashes. In other words, I want EVERYTHING!!
I’ve read a lot from @Karl_K and @Gary about light return, bow ties, black areas and that I must get an ASET.
So, any suggestions on where to start would be truly appreciated. Concentrating on center stone now, but will need to match up the sides eventually. Budget is around $40K - 50K for the stones and setting.
P.S. I’m going to ask my neighbor to see her ring again I’ve posted 92CB14A7-2446-4DF5-A075-0DF349197C04.png D8F98710-8A12-44F0-AFA8-4DFAB4E9442D.png some screenshots from my PS research for inspiration. 92CB14A7-2446-4DF5-A075-0DF349197C04.png

I won't be much help, unfortunately, but I just wanted to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! And BIG CONGRATS on the upcoming project!! This will be a fun one to watch. :appl:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Check out Mamabee’s beautiful three stone:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I did! That is one of the screenshots I posted. If I remember correctly, she got it at Costco!! Probably one in a million shot.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@SandyK found this gorgeous stone from IDJ. Perhaps, they can help you!

And here's my reset of my 2.85 ct with traps. But I did a yellow gold bezel...

Last edited:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a lab grown but you can see my 2.95 Emerald cut three stone here:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @SandyK. That ring is gorgeous.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@Jax172 Thank you for showing me your beautiful ring. The light flashes are crazy! Who knows, I might go for lab grown, but I think I'm more of a naturalist. I'd have to see some in person.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
So, I live in NJ. Do you think a trip to IDJ would be a good idea? But then am I really getting a good price if I am going to a B&M store? If yes, who would be good to work with? I know @SandyK worked with a Johanna.
I've been looking at JA and WF and B2C but my criteria seems to be too lofty for the price. Maybe I'm not putting in the right criteria.

Reactions: KBM

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
So, I live in NJ. Do you think a trip to IDJ would be a good idea? But then am I really getting a good price if I am going to a B&M store? If yes, who would be good to work with? I know @SandyK worked with a Johanna.
I've been looking at JA and WF and B2C but my criteria seems to be too lofty for the price. Maybe I'm not putting in the right criteria.

This is such an exciting project, and you have an awesome budget for it!! Yay to your husband too haha.

I definitely think a visit to IDJ is worth it and you should ask for Yekutiel. He has a great eye and there is no substitute for seeing the stones in person. He will do an ASET image and let you know what he thinks about the performance. I think I’ve seen similar 3-stone designs on the IDJ instagram too.

And re: cost, IDJ doesn’t do markups like a traditional B&M store and is known for helping people maximize what they can get for their budget. You can get diamonds for what they are listed at on other online sites and sometimes less, if they have a relationship with the source. So the value component is definitely not one I would worry about with IDJ, quite the opposite actually!

Super excited for you! Keep us posted

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much @SandyK . I will set up an appointment and post what happens. in the meantime, if anyone spots something worth looking at, I'm all eyes!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @lulu_ma I actually saw that one too on my search. I will keep it in mind.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. This looks great, but I don't see all the spec's on it or the cert. (I don't know much about Tiffany, other than the name and the quality, but I've not considered it b/c of the price.
Does anyone have any opinion on this one? I'm going to check out the other one they have as well. @Karl_K any thoughts on this one? I would really like your input.

KBM

Rough_Rock

Definitely go to IDJ and meet with Yekutiel! I live in NJ and met with him and he made two custom eternity bands for me which I love! I recently went with Whiteflash for my 10 year anniversary upgrade because their upgrade policy is unbeatable and they were willing to trade in my original diamond which wasn't orignally purchased through them which is rare to find!. Good luck and can't wait to see your finished ring!! Congrats!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info. I’m going to take another closer look at my neighbor’s ring tomorrow and hopefully try it on and find out more info. I inquired about the pre-loved Tiffany above just to get the video and some more info. But I think IDJ is a good place to start.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info. I’m going to take another closer look at my neighbor’s ring tomorrow and hopefully try it on and find out more info. I inquired about the pre-loved Tiffany above just to get the video and some more info. But I think IDJ is a good place to start.

The Tiffany’s look gorg but the center is 1.78 carats.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
That was my thought exactly. That is smaller than my current radiant, so I don't think I'd be happy. But it is beautiful.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,
So my neighbor got stuck in the city. I have to wait until the weekend or early next week to get together with her.
I would appreciate help with some questions. (I am a former teacher so I love research). I have been watching some PS videos and going through the education links. However, most of the info is on RB diamonds. I'm assuming there are some specs for EC's that I should be looking for and some that I should avoid. I'm talking about the basics as well as the ASET images (which I think I understand - Red is good and EC's are different than RB images - might have a little more white. Dark is not good and no bow ties). I get the L-W ratios for size, but not sure about things like how thick or thin the girdle should be, what is an ideal range for the table and does the crown and pavilion angles play a role? (I assume they do, but I don't know what questions to ask for EC's) Also, what about inclusions? I know EC's are more sensitive because of the larger facets, but I've read some inclusions, based on where their locations are, might work in my favor with price as long as they don't affect performance. Is this true?
I know, the jewelers, like Yuketiel will know all of this, but I want to ask the right questions and have as much knowledge going in.
Naturally, I will be bringing any and all info I can get on any diamonds I am considering to PS for your opinions. I plan on looking at a lot of stones until I find the perfect ones.

As always, thank you in advance for your knowledge and assistance.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot Fluorescence. I've read that with EC's, if you go a little warmer, but with fluorescence, it will face up white. Is that correct??

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much. Yes, someone did bring this one up. I don't know anything about Costco diamonds, but they sure seem to have some good ones. I looked up the GIA. There are some clouds and pinpoints on the center stone but they did not have a video. I'm hoping to go to IDJ next week and talk to them and try on etc. I just got out my GIA report for my current radiant and was surprised it was an H. I thought it was whiter. Of course, an EC is a totally different animal, but I need to sit down and compare in person. I'll keep Costco in mind though.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@momofive did you buy the F color? My fave combo is F/VS for emerald cuts. I got lucky with my VS2 because it has no black carbons.

In an ideal world, it would be great for you to find an F color so you can max out on size. And some fluoro could bring the price slightly down, too. Sandy K’s two threads about her 3 and 4 carat ec search are chockfull of good data.

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@lulu_ma. No. I didn’t buy anything yet. I am planning on going to IDJ on Monday or Tuesday. I need an education first and to see things in person. I will check out Sandy K’s threads. I asked a few questions (above) but haven’t as yet had any responses. I’m wondering if I’m not asking them the right way. Usually when I see posts asking for help there are lots of responses.
I am surprised at the prices on Blue Nile as they are lower than other vendors I’ve looked at. After watching some of PS videos, I know that GIA cents don’t necessarily account for cuts that give you the best fire, light return, etc. That’s why I’d like to do more research.
I was thinking of starting a new thread once I go there and get some stats and photos.
Thanks for your response and for keeping an eye on my post!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This article might help you. Also, I think if you find some contenders and post the videos and asets, others will chime in.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much. The article was very helpful. I will definitely post photos etc to make this thread more exciting!!
Should i start a new post when I post photos?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results