Tension or Bezel?

• bezel

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • tension

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
A prong is WAY less durable than a tension setting.
Prongs are tiny and delicate and catch on things.
Gals lose diamonds every day by simply putting their hand into a pocket or purse, or putting on a sweater.
She feels nothing, but later notices her diamond is gone.

Tension settings, when made by a reputable company like Niessing or Steven Kretchmer, are so beefy that if you subjecteted it to a trauma strong enough to release the diamond you'd probably end up in the ER with broken bones in your finger.

Few things - many tension settings are not as well made as the ones you mentioned. Also. My understanding is even from those very reputable makers, resizing can be tricky.

As for the ‘gals lose diamonds even day’ - sample size is an issue here. The vast, VAST majority of stones are prong set, ergo the vast majority of lost stones are from prongs. The percent of tension set stones is so small in comparison to prongs, that I’m not sure that comparison is even fair. For all we know, one lost tension stone is comparable to a thousand lost prong stones given their distribution across the jewelry population.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Few things - many tension settings are not as well made as the ones you mentioned. Also. My understanding is even from those very reputable makers, resizing can be tricky.
I would never resize a tension setting. I'll have Bruce Boone to make me a new one for a few hundred bucks. My last two are made from titanium by Boone. I'm still mad at myself paying $2k for a Gelin Abaci Palladium tension setting 5 yrs ago...:x2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... another Boonsrings fan here. :wavey:
Of all the alloys Bruce offers, my favorite for a tension setting is Cobalt Chrome.

It stays light, bright, and shiny, and seems to never scratch.
A previous Boone tension setting of titanium became quite dark with age.

Why spend thousands on a precious metal?
I put all that extra $$$$$$ into a better diamond.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... another Boonsrings fan here. :wavey:
Of all the alloys Bruce offers, my favorite for a tension setting is Cobalt Chrome.

It stays light, bright, and shiny, and seems to never scratch.
A previous Boone tension setting of titanium became quite dark with age.

Why spend thousands on a precious metal?
I put all that extra $$$$$$ into a better diamond.
:think:...I'll look into cobalt chrome for my next upgrade.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had another thought this morning. I discovered with my asscher that the more delicate the shank, the larger the diamond looks. My stone is about the same size as yours.
A random comment, my 2 cents.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never resize a tension setting. I'll have Bruce Boone to make me a new one for a few hundred bucks. My last two are made from titanium by Boone. I'm still mad at myself paying $2k for a Gelin Abaci Palladium tension setting 5 yrs ago...:x2

But it did look awesome!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely LOVE that bezel setting, so it has my vote!! So luxe!

Disclaimer: I feel tension settings are more masculine... but they do look very modern, if that's the look you're going for!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the thoughts everyone, very helpful. Since I am aiming for the complete ring look, and I love yellow gold as much as diamonds I'm ok with it being a chunky look. I've got it narrowed down to 3 possibles. Stullers website is difficult to navigate, it seems each time I visit I find a setting I've never seen before. Perfect world I'd find a chunky wide tension-ish or semi bezel with an unobstructed side view. I'm aiming for non-feminine, easy to wear all the time.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.08.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 10.43.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.08.03 AM.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, the bezel is added real estate... says the size whore. ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emerald_Isle13

Rough_Rock
2A797E69-8826-4BC8-ABC4-4E1638BE9248.jpeg
B6C8AF06-A24D-4D08-81E3-C7D7C8C37D8A.jpeg

I vote semi-bezel it’s the best of both worlds. Love affair diamonds has one set in a sholdt design. It’s one of my very favorites!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
As above, tension. You get to see all of that gorgeous rock all the time!

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
Tension setting are lovely, especially for Asscher cuts, but you have to go in knowing they are not as secure as most other settings. If you baby your rings, go for it, but if you live in them - be aware. I am a full on bezel babe, and I had my Asscher and my largest emerald cut set that way. BAB2F29B-86A8-4039-88B4-25133C88054F.jpeg
FE93B34A-0ED1-4468-9301-92B9028FBFAC.jpeg

I'm in love with the ring in the first picture! The gold texture sets off the stones beautifully!
Was that also done by Taylor at Thomas Jewelry? :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in love with the ring in the first picture! The gold texture sets off the stones beautifully!
Was that also done by Taylor at Thomas Jewelry? :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Yes, both rings were designed by Taylor and fabricated on site by their bench jewelers. They are great! She also did the design for my pear.

973163D5-8416-476B-AAB6-98003DEB2D62.jpeg

Attachments

• B8B86746-0C2F-4B8E-83A5-D8965D3B64FE.jpeg
    B8B86746-0C2F-4B8E-83A5-D8965D3B64FE.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 74

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at this thread.
@-Asscher- ‘s beautiful Sq. EC set in CVB_ID’s Jessica custom made to fit her buttery stone...PERFECTLY!!! ♥️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results