shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an antique cushion?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm asking because I'M GETTING ONE!!!!

My jeweler just bought a gorgeous 2.30 carat J VS2 antique cushion and he called me in to take a look at it because he knows how much I love them. Well, it sang to me and now I'm going to trade in my stone for the antique cushion. I don't have pictures, and for that I AM SORRY. :cheeky: (My camera battery died and I didn't realize it.) The stone has those delicious chunky facets, and a small flat culet, and it's more square than elongated. It is GORGEOUS.

Anyway . . .

Now I get to design a setting for the stone. I don't want to set it in my current engagement ring because it is so modern (a shared prong RB eternity band.) I'd like something more delicate, and classic looking. But what I really want to know is how YOU would set the stone. SO,

How would you set a 2.30 carat antique cushion?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oooh congratulations!

I really love a classic basket solitaire for a cushion :) but there are soo many beautiful cushion rings on PS...what type of setting are you looking for? recent ones that come to mind are the tapered french cuts (lovestreet, wintotty, missydebby) and charmypoo's beautiful split shank

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
SLG--I'm really torn between a classic solitaire setting, something really simple with a very thin band, and no stones.
OR
Something fun like sapphire baguette side stones, or a pink gold setting.

But I have no idea what I want, really. If anyone wants to share pictures of their favorite settings for antique cushions, I welcome the inspiration!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
SOO jealous!!!

I would do a solitaire with a really beautiful prong on a simple clean band of white gold or platinum.

This is why:
I think a stone like that needs to be the centerpiece. While I'm usually a fan of sidestones, I think it will detract from the chunky exquisiteness. I would go with white metal because I love the warmth of older stones and I'd want to play it up. And, a simple clean band so it always looks fresh and vintage at the same time.

I'm so excited for you!!!

get pics soon!!! :angryfire:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I would set it on MY FINGER! :bigsmile:

Honestly, a simple platinum split claw setting would be beautiful...maybe with some milgrain detailing. Come back with pics!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do a James Meyer or Caleb Meyer bezel..if JM were still crafting and CM accepted customer stones of course. I also like the look of a modern setting w/an old cut stone, and there are a few Maevona settings that I really love.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1298061622|2854925 said:
SLG--I'm really torn between a classic solitaire setting, something really simple with a very thin band, and no stones.
OR
Something fun like sapphire baguette side stones, or a pink gold setting.

What about a thin pink gold solitaire with claw prongs? :naughty:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So excited for you. I'd keep it clean and simple. Let this baby shine. I can't wait to see it!!!!! :appl:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all: EXCITING! I can't wait to see it!

Have you considered an east/west setting? One of my all time favorite rings on PS is an E/W set antique cushion in a Leon. I believe the owner is tigerlily? I thought I had it bookmarked but I just looked and I don't see it! But if E/W isn't your thing I would do either a delicate plain plat/WG setting with claw prongs or an antique-inspired pave setting with single cuts and claw prongs.

I agree with everyone else to let the center stone shine! And again: I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT! :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Haven!

I agree with the others...let it shine. I have a simple 1c cushion, and I have never regretted putting it into a solitaire and letting it put on the show. I love the wintotty, but I'd prefer it with way big 4carat honker type stones, because then it is the star no matter what.

Since this ring is for every day, I wouldn't go too delicate (there was a recent thread in RT talking about too thin rings. While I can still wear my Leon fine, it definitely didn't hold shape!). I'd also personally pass on any pave. I like the idea of detail somehow with engraving.

I think you should keep the ring simple, and then play it up with very interesting bands to stack it with if you are in the mood.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She sounds beautiful! How exciting!!

I personally would bezel it with French cut side stones. Yummy! JBEG would be on my quote list as well as singlestone. Bc I'd wear it every day I'd want it to hold up and not be to delicate. A beautiful bezel solitare with some engraving would be beautiful too!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also vote for a classic solitaire in white gold - my antique cushion is set in a four-prong Tiffany reproduction style, and I love its timelessness and the way its design allows light to hit the stone from every direction so the diamond is always "on" and really the focus.

BUT if I had a warm stone over 2.0cts and price was no object, I'd be sorely tempted by this:

lovestreet%20LM%20IMG_1052_0.jpg

This is Lovestreet's masterpiece by Leon Mege - her center stone is a 3.04ct M - here's her thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/ True confession: I seriously covet this ring, and I pretty much visit it every time I get on PS.

But what fun you'll have figuring out your setting - I can't wait to see what you decide on!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Belly Button! No seriously...I am so jealous!!!! I love love love the setting above me ^^^^^^Marymm posted!!!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a variation on the Wintotty special ... Singlestone has a tapered french-cut setting that sets them length-wise, like baguettes. If I had a big cushion (and by "if," I mean "when my 5 year anniversary hits in a year and a half") I would go for this:

ETA: Good god, woman, congratulations! I got so psyched about the planning, I clean forgot my manners ....

single stone dream setting.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Haven!!!!! I would so do a solitaire with a antique cushion in that size. I LOVE the JBEG settings too.
Cant wait to see pics and see what you pick!!! :appl: :appl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing in my excitement, everyone!

Dani--I'm thinking a solitaire might be right, too. I like the idea of some sort of flourish on the basket so the stone can stand out on its own, but then the ring can still have a little fun factor.

tyty--Good gracious, woman! Those three links had me drooling! I really love the "Julia Modified" and the "Sophie", I can't figure out which I love more, actually. Thank you so much for posting those.

Circe--Thank you! WOW. I love those lengthwise French cuts, and I'm a real sucker for a beautiful bezel. (And I'm very excited about your upcoming upgrade! :devil: )

Marymm and Aprilbaby--I agree, Lovestreet's ring is definitely droolworthy. I've been to her thread multiple times, myself!

vintagelover--Ooh, I hadn't thought of engraving. Interesting. I'm sure to stay up late into the night searching for inspiration photos. Thank you!

TGal--I'm glad you brought up the issue of it being too delicate, that's definitely something I'll need to consider. I do wear my rings everyday, and I'm not exactly easy on them. I am definitely thinking that I should let this stone shine, it is so beautiful. I love my current setting, but I think there's just too much blingy distraction in the band for an antique cushion. I'll try to get some good pictures tomorrow, DH and I are going in so I can do some more ogling and so he can see it.

Thing--I LOVE east/west set cushions! This one is pretty square shaped, so it wouldn't work. Maybe my next upgrade will be e/w. :devil: :naughty:

Thanks, Kaleigh!

E B--I'm so intrigued by a rose gold solitaire, but it SCARES me, too. What if I tire of it? What if it looks weird on my skin? In my mind it looks amazing, but that's my fear--that I'll get it and hate it after some time. Maybe I should get a little rose gold stackable to wear around to get a feel for it, eh?

Packrat--Good lord, I spent about an hour looking at CM's work after I read your response. GORGEOUS. Hmmmm . . .

Ara Ann--Haha! I like the idea of some milgraining, that would give it an antiquey look.

SS--I like what you said about going with white gold or platinum to let the warmth of the stone shine. I really love this stone's warmth, so that is definitely something I'm going to think about.
I promise to bring a fully loaded camera tomorrow! Pictures forthcoming!

slg--I can't tell you how much time I spent in all of those threads you mentioned. Those ladies have some gorgeous rings!

Thanks for your help, everyone. I hope to have more of a focus after going back in and seeing the ring again tomorrow. Right now I'm really loving JBEG's Julia Modified setting, and the Sophie. But I also like the idea of doing a super clean solitaire, too. Or baguettes on either side. Or . . . who knows????

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, I'm mad at you. I swear you've been my only ally standing in solidarity with a cushion modified and now you're giving it up! ;(

(but I'm sure whatever you do will be g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1298095007|2855275 said:
Haven, I'm mad at you. I swear you've been my only ally standing in solidarity with a cushion modified and now you're giving it up! ;(

(but I'm sure whatever you do will be g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!)
Nooooooo! Don't be mad. I still love my cushion modified, and I'm certain I will miss it at times. But I'm a dilettante at best, and I've been wearing it for nearly four years. I am ready for a CHANGE!

If I had to guess, my lifetime of ring ownership will look something like this:
Modern ring
Antique ring
Super unique ring
Classic ring
Trendy ring
Timeless ring
Before-my-own-time ring
Vintage ring
. . .
You get the picture. :cheeky:

I like to change things up every so often. That doesn't mean I won't defend cushion modifieds for-ev-er! My original stone will always be my first love.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha, you're funny Haven!!! Just wondering......are you going to keep your original stone?

Cant wait to see pics lady!!!! :appl:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do decide to do a solitaire this time, I do love the Erica Grace Sophie mounting. The little fleur de lis on each side got me from the very moment I laid eyes on it. It looks simple and classic from the top view but packs a sweet little surprise from the side.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS! How awesome! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I am a solitaire purist, myself, so I would do a delicate solitaire with beautiful, delicate prongs to let that stone sing. That setting Circe posted did give me pause, though. How lovely!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm... I'm torn too. How about a thin band of about 2.5 mm of french cuts, no taper on the french cuts, cathedral up to a beautiful basket. Making sure the channel that the french cuts sit in is delicate.

Or I'd just do a solitaire. I love solitaires for large stunning stones.

But personally, I've had a hankering for a split shank so something like the SS one Kelpie posted is what I'd do.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani|1298129509|2855383 said:
Ha Ha, you're funny Haven!!! Just wondering......are you going to keep your original stone?
Cant wait to see pics lady!!!! :appl:
Haha--I wish! No, we're trading in my original e-ring for the new one.

Okay, thank you for all of your help, everyone! With it, I am now a bit closer to an idea of what I want for the setting, but I'm still NOT COMPLETELY SURE, so please do share your opinions.

First, the bad news:
My camera is dead. :(( I thought it was just a battery issue, but alas it's the camera, so I have no pictures of my own for you. My jeweler snapped a quick photo that does not do the stone justice (I know everyone says that, but it's true!) but I'm going to share it, anyway. I can't wait to get a new camera so I can give this baby a photo shoot of her own and show off her real beauty!

Now, here's what I'm thinking about the setting:
- I like the idea of a solitaire *with* a fanciful basket. This way the stone will shine on her own, but there's a nice little surprise in the ring's profile.
- I have NO IDEA which metal to use for the setting. My current e-ring is platinum, and I love the way it looks, BUT I've been wearing my grandmother's yellow gold ring since May 2009 and man does that yellow gold look nice on my hand! And, I really like the idea of a rose gold ring, too. Any opinions?

I drew up some ideas for the setting that incorporate the things I love in a bunch of other settings:
- Single claw prongs, nice and delicate
- Buttercup-shape prongs that give it a really nice full and rounded shape from the side
- Love the fleur de lis details on the JBEG Sophia ring
- A swooping milgrained band that reaches from prong to prong on each side. Not sure if I'd like melee or engraving along these bands. Or they could be a different metal--maybe rose gold if the rest of the setting is platinum?
- A cathedral profile
- Love the swooping curls that come out from the band to give the ring a split crown look on JBEG's Julia ring
- I've loved surprise stones since I first saw one years ago here on PS, so I would love those, as well
- I want a little donut at the base of the prongs so my wedding band *won't* sit flush with the ring. I know this is an unpopular choice, but my current set sits completely flush, and I find that I really love the way it looks when the rings are slightly parted.

Here are my very crude drawings with my ideas for the setting. PLEASE CRITIQUE! (The setting, not the drawing--I know the drawing is crap! :cheeky: )
RingIdeas.jpg

And here is a very unsatisfactory picture of the stone herself:
AntiqueCushion.jpg

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! I'm not married to this setting idea, it's just something I drew up last night with visions of millions of different settings dancing through my head. I'll post the inspiration pictures for the different elements I included after this post because I'm sure my drawing isn't great.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what I mean by swooping milgrained bands that reach from prong to prong:
Leon Mege r4221 (He originally only had an RB with this setting, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE those swooping bands.)
http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I think this is sweetpea&babycorn'sJBEG Julia Modified ring. I love the swooping curls that come out from the band, and the surprise stones. I really love her entire ring, actually, but I've wanted buttercup prongs for so long that I'm determined to incorporate them into my new setting!
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...-Modified-205/14113210_k9RGa#1040273172_9oqWV

I've wanted buttercup prongs since I saw JCrow's ring redo a couple years ago, and the JBEG Sophia is a wonderfully fanciful version of the buttercup prongs I've been coveting for so long. I would like everything to be a bit more delicate, but the overall shape is so beautiful:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...phie-Solitaire/12794511_dg9wL#792954190_YJGXU

A BIG POST SCRIPT:
I forgot to share in my last post that the stone is being shipped off for certification as we speak. I hadn't realized it was uncertified when I first went in to see it, we just didn't get that far, so the color and clarity stats I have are just what the woman who sold the ring to my jeweler had on an appraisal sheet for it. I think GIA takes several weeks to certify, so I won't have her back for a while, but my goal is to get the setting all settled so we can go right ahead with it once she comes back from being certified. I'm interested to see what color she *really* is, I'm thinking she's more of a K or L, to be honest. SO YUMMY.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Haven! I can't wait to see what you decide. I don't think you can go wrong with an antique cushion. I loved the Sophie when I first saw it and after I opened the link, my heart melted once again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow!! Whatever you choose it will be wonderful.

cheers--Sharon

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooooo...so jealous...I heart these antique and chunky cushions...plz keep posting so I can vicariously live thru you....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven,
Your new stone is just gorgeous! Congratulations! I am sure whatever setting you choose will be perfect.
Wear in health and happiness!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results