shape
carat
color
clarity

How warm would you go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:52:17 PM
Author: grapegravity

Personally, I like an older stone that was actually yellow looking
1.gif
I think it adds character to the older stones.

I would set it with a more antique-looking setting and still set with white gold just like all my other rings...

And as for all your other questions, I cannot answer until I receive my s-t beauty and compare the sparkles to my whiter diamonds...
5.gif
Ditto! I agree about the character!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your response grape gravity. I look forward to seeing your s-t beauty and hearing what you think of it!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
you are welcome!
35.gif

This is my first warm diamond so I definitely will compare and trying my best to see how (or if) they sparkles differently
1.gif
And I''ll try to take some pix of side to side comparison
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Thanks:)

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Please excuse a quick threadjack:Grace!!! What is that in your avatar?!?! Did I miss something?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 7:33:54 PM
Author: Kelli
So then how many of you would like an older stone that was actually yellow looking, like P or lower, without getting into the fancy colors? Would you set it differently?

The reason I''m asking is that I''ve seen some really low colors at different places online. I love the price tag they carry, and they look so pretty in the pictures. Do those colors still have the fire and brilliance that the whiter ones do, assuming the cut is good, or do they not sparkle as much because they''re ''darker''?

i would! i love light yellow stones! i would set them with white sidestones to show off the color.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 10:22:05 PM
Author: Burk
Please excuse a quick threadjack:Grace!!! What is that in your avatar?!?! Did I miss something?

I'm not sure if the threadjack is for me... but if it is, here's the link...

s-t oec

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 10:47:02 PM
Author: grapegravity

I''m not sure if the threadjack is for me... but if it is, here''s the link...

s-t oec
Sorry, I should have quoted! I was referring to "Heartingdiamonds" but I saw the thread with your stone and am so glad a PSer got it! It''s gorgeous!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow grapegravity that is just TDF! I hope someday I can have one like it!!!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 10:55:09 PM
Wow grapegravity that is just TDF! I hope someday I can have one like it!!!

Thanks Kelli~~
9.gif
I''m pretty fortunately to have it..
5.gif

hope you will have one like this soon!
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 2:16:06 PM
Author: ericad
This was a great learning experience for us.

We purchased the stone as a J/K. It was mounted at the time so we unmounted the stone and it was graded a K/L by an independent third party jeweler. It was then subsequently re-graded by another independent party (known by us to be very strict in his grading) as an M. It was then sent off to GIA and came back a Q/R - we were floored!

This was a really valuable lesson for us, which illustrated just how subjective grading can be. 3 different sets of trained eyes, 3 different results.

That''s really interesting - a huge difference! It certainly doesn''t look what I think a Q/R should look like in photos.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 7:33:54 PM
So then how many of you would like an older stone that was actually yellow looking, like P or lower, without getting into the fancy colors? Would you set it differently?

The reason I''m asking is that I''ve seen some really low colors at different places online. I love the price tag they carry, and they look so pretty in the pictures. Do those colors still have the fire and brilliance that the whiter ones do, assuming the cut is good, or do they not sparkle as much because they''re ''darker''?
Definitely an antique style setting to showcase the colour of the diamond.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I personally prefer warmth in diamonds. I don''t think it matters how yellow or brown the stone looks as long as it''s well-cut and lively. Some of the most intruiging stones I''ve seen had a champagne tone.

But for non-fancy purposes, L-P colors have a nice candlelight glow. They were made for old cuts in vintage settings.

There''s something so ethereal about them.

By the way, Grapegravity''s avatar is seriously yummy! My eyes were instantly drawn to that diamond.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Burk, no, you did not miss anything, silly
1.gif
! Its a 3.65ct cushion in an octagon bezel setting. The diamond that I used to have as my avatar is really Erica's diamond (oddly enough, we have matching 3.65ers).

Sorry - thread jack over!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We purchased the stone as a J/K. It was mounted at the time so we unmounted the stone and it was graded a K/L by an independent third party jeweler. It was then subsequently re-graded by another independent party (known by us to be very strict in his grading) as an M. It was then sent off to GIA and came back a Q/R - we were floored!

This was a really valuable lesson for us, which illustrated just how subjective grading can be. 3 different sets of trained eyes, 3 different results.
I've had the same experinece with some of our cutters. We grade a stone using other stones graded by GIA to figure the grade, and it comes back a different grade.
Even those who are most familiar with these colors are sometimes 2-3 grades off.

The reason, as I see it, is the fact that quantifying the absence of color( which diamond is whitest) is far easier than quantifying the presence of color.
If you have an eye for color, and you look at enough stones the amount of color in an H, I, J, K or even L can become learned, and memorized.
It's a lot easier grading whether a diamond is G or F than it is grading the difference between S-T, and Q-R

One great thing about this is that in terms of price, if we're talking about diamonds possessing similar cut and clarity aspects, there's virtually no difference in price on stones between N and U-V.
I've seen stones of every color - from D to Y-Z that were gorgeous.....I'm also in the camp that loves the hint of brown in these colors

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/14/2009 11:15:28 PM
Author: Rockdiamond

I''ve had the same experinece with some of our cutters. We grade a stone using other stones graded by GIA to figure the grade, and it comes back a different grade.
Even those who are most familiar with these colors are sometimes 2-3 grades off.

The reason, as I see it, is the fact that quantifying the absence of color( which diamond is whitest) is far easier than quantifying the presence of color.
If you have an eye for color, and you look at enough stones the amount of color in an H, I, J, K or even L can become learned, and memorized.
It''s a lot easier grading whether a diamond is G or F than it is grading the difference between S-T, and Q-R

One great thing about this is that in terms of price, if we''re talking about diamonds possessing similar cut and clarity aspects, there''s virtually no difference in price on stones between N and U-V.
I''ve seen stones of every color - from D to Y-Z that were gorgeous.....I''m also in the camp that loves the hint of brown in these colors

RD you should do some home work now that GIA have finally come clean on how they grade color (it has changed a lot over the years) and why they try not to update the system (historic grades will change).
I am sure you will find it worth while to spend some time to read it - only about 30 pages:

Winter 2008, Volume 44, Issue 4
Color Grading “D-To-Z” Diamonds at the GIA Laboratory
John M. King, Ron H. Geurts, Al M. Gilbertson, and James E. Shigley

Since its introduction in the early 1950s, GIA’s D-to-Z scale has been used to color grade the overwhelming majority of colorless to light yellow gem-quality polished diamonds on which laboratory reports have been issued. While the use of these letter designations for diamond color grades is now virtually universal in the gem and jewelry industry, the use of GIA color grading standards and procedures is not. This article discusses the history and ongoing development of this grading system, and explains how the GIA Laboratory applies it. Important aspects of this system include a specific color grading methodology for judging the absence of color in diamonds, a standard illumination and viewing environment, and the use of color reference diamonds ("master stones") for the visual comparison of color.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the suggestion Garry- next time I''m at the library I''ll be sure to have a look!

Generally I base my posts on practical experience. When we have a question about GIA procedures we simply call them up and ask questions- we have an excellent account representative. We find them to be very gracious in discussing procedure and methods, , and use their services frequently. I don;t know that I''d use the term "come clean"- as if GIA was hiding anything.
I have found that indeed, color grading has changed a bit over the years. My feeling is that many stones that would have gotten Fancy Light Yellow now get Y-Z- that GIA has toughened the standards.
But aside from the article, do you agree with what I wrote?
Specifically the part about how it''s far more difficult grading a Q-R vs S-T as compared to grading an F versus a G......

Do you see a lot of U-V, W-X and Y-Z stones in Australia Garry?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2009 3:27:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Garry- next time I''m at the library I''ll be sure to have a look!

Generally I base my posts on practical experience. When we have a question about GIA procedures we simply call them up and ask questions- we have an excellent account representative. We find them to be very gracious in discussing procedure and methods, , and use their services frequently. I don;t know that I''d use the term ''come clean''- as if GIA was hiding anything.
I have found that indeed, color grading has changed a bit over the years. My feeling is that many stones that would have gotten Fancy Light Yellow now get Y-Z- that GIA has toughened the standards.
But aside from the article, do you agree with what I wrote?
Specifically the part about how it''s far more difficult grading a Q-R vs S-T as compared to grading an F versus a G......

Do you see a lot of U-V, W-X and Y-Z stones in Australia Garry?
We see more Argyle light Champagne (TLB''s) which because a lot of people live outdoor lives always look better with plenty of UV around. (Argyle diamonds fluoresce).

Perhaps you caould ask for the date when GIA changed:
1. their color grading tubes
2. The distance between the tube and stone for color grading

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 6:11:42 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
We see more Argyle light Champagne (TLB''s) which because a lot of people live outdoor lives always look better with plenty of UV around. (Argyle diamonds fluoresce).

Garry, do all Argyle fluorescence?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kool!!!

TLB''s are among my favorites.
You mentioned that Argyle Diamonds fluoresce- Is that true for all of them?

In terms of how far from the tube, and the type of tube: I will ask them.

I have found that by and large, GIA does a very efficient job of grading the fancy colors. In practice I believe they look at the stones under a variety of lighting environments.
On stones that posses modifying colors there''s going to be a difference in the way those colors look based on the lighting. I think the fair and reasonable way to grade these stones is using all available lighting- including the "daylight" type of bulbs made to mimic a neutral light- and also to face up the stones using available room lighting.
I do feel that the realities of grading sometimes contradict some of the published writings from GIA itself. They may have a published line about how the color is graded- but they really do their homework and pick up trace colors.
The bottom line is that, as a lab, GIA gets it right most of the time.

I''ve seen a few stones graded "Faint Pink" that had almost no discernible pink. But some of these stones when set do indeed show pink. Most of the "Faint Pink" stones I''ve encountered had a pink that was fairly easy to spot.
I have not really seen a lot of cases where the stone shows pink, and GIA misses that.
In terms of the changes in the way GIA grades color: In my opinion, they are simply better at it today than they were 10 years ago.

In my experience GIA''s consistency is remarkable- Of course there are quite a few borderline stones that go one way or the other- but two grade errors on GIA reports are truly rare in my experience.
I believe that whatever percentage of color re-checks get changes- it''s higher in the colors from Q-R down to Y-Z.

Of course that''s speculation, as GIA would probably never confirm how many re-checks result in a changing of the color grade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2009 6:26:10 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Only the ones I have seen.
Several thousand
2.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 8:22:45 PM

Several thousand
2.gif
Nice!

What color and strength do they usually have? I can''t seem to find much information on these specifically on Argyle diamonds.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2009 8:27:33 PM

Several thousand
2.gif
Nice!

What color and strength do they usually have? I can''t seem to find much information on these specifically on Argyle diamonds.
I guess medium to very strong blue

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 10:09:23 PM

Date: 2/15/2009 8:27:33 PM

Several thousand
2.gif
Nice!

I guess medium to very strong blue
Hi, all. My name is Debbi and I''ve been lurking for a while. I''ve always been a colored stone kind of girl, but lately I''ve been getting more interested in diamonds, and I''ve been soaking up some of the knowledge around here.
35.gif

Now, on to what made me come out of lurk-mode....

I knew the Argyles must flouresce! I''ve got 3 (2 16 pointers as accents for my purpley-pink cuprian, and a 56-57 pointer that''s just set as a solitaire - I intend to take it to Denver Appraisers one of these days as I have no info on angles, etc, I just know it''s a Argyle champagne). Indoors they''re kind of a light gold, and under low lighting they''re quite golden. But outside? As white as can be! I need to get a UV light and check them out.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool Demon!! Sounds like some really interesting diamonds you''ve got there!

In terms of Argyle and fluorescence, I don''t believe it''s accurate to say every single Argyle diamond is fluorescent.
The ones that are are not all blue- there''s many different colors of fluorescence, and some stones that are inert ( no fluorescence)

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:09:18 AM
Cool Demon!! Sounds like some really interesting diamonds you''ve got there!

In terms of Argyle and fluorescence, I don''t believe it''s accurate to say every single Argyle diamond is fluorescent.
The ones that are are not all blue- there''s many different colors of fluorescence, and some stones that are inert ( no fluorescence)
Oh, well I never meant to imply that they all did, or all blue.
emsmile.gif
But going by Garry''s experience, they mostly seem to. And if a yellowish/golden diamond looks white in the sun that would indicate blue flouresence, right? (still new to all this!)

By the way, I love all the colored diamonds at your site!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Debbi- my apologies- I was referring to Garry''s statement, not yours.

I kind of think he made it in jest- as it seems to be a very broad statement- and Ive found that it''s not the case that all Argyle diamonds have fluorescence.

In terms of why a diamond might look whiter in sunlight....blue fluorescence could cause that, but so could other factors.
Are your diamonds round?

PS- thanks for the nice words about our site!!!
35.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 2:55:58 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds

Burk, no, you did not miss anything, silly
1.gif
! Its a 3.65ct cushion in an octagon bezel setting. The diamond that I used to have as my avatar is really Erica''s diamond (oddly enough, we have matching 3.65ers).

Sorry - thread jack over!
Thanks! Did you post a thread with lots of pictures of your avatar? I''ve looked. I think we need a full thread with tons of pics so we can all drool over it!!

Sorry....thread jack over!
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/16/2009 1:59:35 PM
HI Debbi- my apologies- I was referring to Garry''s statement, not yours.

I kind of think he made it in jest- as it seems to be a very broad statement- and Ive found that it''s not the case that all Argyle diamonds have fluorescence.

In terms of why a diamond might look whiter in sunlight....blue fluorescence could cause that, but so could other factors.
Are your diamonds round?

PS- thanks for the nice words about our site!!!
35.gif
I have not undertaken an actual formal study RD, and most that I see are not (or never) certified.
Among the champagne colours the colour of fluoro is always blue.
Of course there are many champagne colours from other sources that may not fluoresce

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So we can agree there is no proof that all diamonds from Australia fluoresce- I believe that the fact is not all do.
It''s also not true that all brown diamonds that do exhibit fluorescence have blue fluorescence.
Some brown diamonds certainly do show other colors of fluorescence.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results