shape
carat
color
clarity

How to reset my original e-ring sapphire?

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
For a second I was contemplating something like this, which is a gorgeous suite of deeply toned stones. But the purples don’t hold up in my northern hemisphere daylight the way I would like so they won’t go in a ring. Still, purple and blue = yummy.

(I also cleaned by sapphire with one of those gem cloths and she perked right up! Much prettier.)

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

What a difference in sparkle, and this color combo is so pretty! I don't have setting ideas for you, but I do hope you'll find this lovely stone a permanent home. Maybe it's just very photogenic, but I feel like you're underselling it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a difference in sparkle, and this color combo is so pretty! I don't have setting ideas for you, but I do hope you'll find this lovely stone a permanent home. Maybe it's just very photogenic, but I feel like you're underselling it!

Back in 2006 before I found pricescope and while I was daydreaming about my future engagement ring, I found a photo of a massive emerald cut blue sapphire in a pave split shank. Like this:

IMG_1862.jpeg

I sent the photo to my husband so he’d know what I wanted. Of course, I didn’t know it was a 4ct gem in the photo. And we were so young and I was in school and my husband had just changed careers. He only had $1500 Canadian dollars to spend on the ring and it took him a whole year to save up.

He chose this sapphire all by himself. I just grilled him right now about how he chose it and he claims he can’t remember anything about it! No memories, just vibes :lol-2: He lives in the moment.

Anyway, I admit to being disappointed by my ring when I got it. It was smaller than I wanted. What I didn’t know then but what I know now after so many years experimenting with jewelry is that I like my jewelry to be original and unique and the setting is just as important if not more important than the jewels it holds. And the setting, while a split shank, was chunky and inelegant. And boring. I know this sounds bad. I certainly felt guilty for feeling that way. I tried to fix it with the reset with EC sides but it still didn’t help. So I put it away in a drawer for the next 15 years.

With all of this in mind I’m trying to get to know the beautiful sapphire that my husband picked for me as an expression of his love and commitment. This year is apropos since it marks 20 years since we met. I cleaned her and used my macro lens with those later photos. It’s her best lighting too. But she is beautiful. The blue is very deep and a pleasing hue. She perks up paired with the right colors. She seems mysterious to me, with depth. I would like to play that depth and darkness up in the setting.

IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aaaare you suuuure she’s not royal blue, actually? Doesn’t seem like a twilight colour to me from those photos.

I think my phone camera might be helping out a little bit!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
For a second I was contemplating something like this, which is a gorgeous suite of deeply toned stones. But the purples don’t hold up in my northern hemisphere daylight the way I would like so they won’t go in a ring. Still, purple and blue = yummy.

(I also cleaned by sapphire with one of those gem cloths and she perked right up! Much prettier.)

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

This color combo made me gasp when I first saw it. I love it! I find it much more interesting than a single side stone color.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
@Avondale you have inspired me. You are totally right and I need to stop being so hard on my sapphire!

And I think you may all be right that she needs diamond side stones. These are just CZs but it really looks sharp. I’m loving the step cut traps too. This could be a good time for my to dip my toe into the world of lab diamonds…

IMG_1861.jpeg

Yes. This is the answer. Soooo beautiful. I have been wanting a sapphire with traps or maybe half moons for awhile now. I love it!!

Have you thought of making a pendant? It would be closer to your heart that way. :kiss2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This color combo made me gasp when I first saw it. I love it! I find it much more interesting than a single side stone color.

I agree! And to be frank I was all set on it but the purple sapphires shift in different directions in my northern latitude sunlight so they don’t match! One veers more blue and the other more magenta. I am going to save them for earrings some day, they are too pretty in incandescent light for me to return. But for a ring it doesn’t work. I suppose I could get another pair….

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Back in 2006 before I found pricescope and while I was daydreaming about my future engagement ring, I found a photo of a massive emerald cut blue sapphire in a pave split shank. Like this:

IMG_1862.jpeg

I sent the photo to my husband so he’d know what I wanted. Of course, I didn’t know it was a 4ct gem in the photo. And we were so young and I was in school and my husband had just changed careers. He only had $1500 Canadian dollars to spend on the ring and it took him a whole year to save up.

He chose this sapphire all by himself. I just grilled him right now about how he chose it and he claims he can’t remember anything about it! No memories, just vibes :lol-2: He lives in the moment.

Anyway, I admit to being disappointed by my ring when I got it. It was smaller than I wanted. What I didn’t know then but what I know now after so many years experimenting with jewelry is that I like my jewelry to be original and unique and the setting is just as important if not more important than the jewels it holds. And the setting, while a split shank, was chunky and inelegant. And boring. I know this sounds bad. I certainly felt guilty for feeling that way. I tried to fix it with the reset with EC sides but it still didn’t help. So I put it away in a drawer for the next 15 years.

With all of this in mind I’m trying to get to know the beautiful sapphire that my husband picked for me as an expression of his love and commitment. This year is apropos since it marks 20 years since we met. I cleaned her and used my macro lens with those later photos. It’s her best lighting too. But she is beautiful. The blue is very deep and a pleasing hue. She perks up paired with the right colors. She seems mysterious to me, with depth. I would like to play that depth and darkness up in the setting.

IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

Holy Moly! I really dig the idea of a five stone with the stones you have! Or the east west with the pink stones! How about east west with soft yellow?

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. This is the answer. Soooo beautiful. I have been wanting a sapphire with traps or maybe half moons for awhile now. I love it!!

Have you thought of making a pendant? It would be closer to your heart that way. :kiss2:

Maybe I spoke too soon! The traps, maybe a little smaller to match the sides of your sapphire, would be amazing! I'm no help at all am I? :lol-2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I spoke too soon! The traps, maybe a little smaller to match the sides of your sapphire, would be amazing! I'm no help at all am I? :lol-2:

You are following my same thought process lol Can’t decide to save my life. Too many options! But I’m leaning pretty strongly towards icy white diamonds of some sort. It really compliments the blue and it’s so classic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been hemming and hawing about this project for the past four weeks, going back and forth and back and forth. But I think I made some progress tonight!

I just pulled the trigger on a couple of 4mm OECs I found on eBay. Both have GIA reports, which is wild to me given my experience buying old cuts on eBay back in the day, but obviously it's a huge bonus. They are nicely matched I think, but I’ll find out for sure in about 200 years when my packages arrive :lol-2: eBay international shipping is comically slow.

Anyway, I am hoping to use them as side stones in a setting inspired by @BrownGinger's beauty. But an exact replica would have needed larger diamonds. I have a budget in mind for this project, so I would have had to go with lab grown diamonds to get the size I needed. I toyed with the idea for a while but just kept circling back to my love of natural old cuts. I also have some concerns about bezeling my sapphire, which is already fairly dark.
IMG_1880.png

So I was wondering to myself if I could create a design where the center stone was prong-set -- tab prongs of course -- and the sides were bezeled. I came across this epic beauty which also belongs to another PSer. If anyone recalls their name please let me know as I did not record it! Their stunner has a very large and glorious center sapphire, but I love how the side stones are set.

IMG_1882.png

The diamonds I just bought will look like this with my sapphire, shown here with 4mm OEC CZs:

IMG_1930.jpeg

I'm not totally set on a three stone yet. A part of my wants to add another pair of either 3mm diamonds or sapphires to make a five stone, which is what I am really pining for. I also might use the diamonds with one of my other little gemmies. I'm on the fence. But for right now this is where I'm headed!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the proportions, I think they're spot on. But a 5 stone would be beyond delish - although I am a tad biased as 5 stones are my favourite :kiss2:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you do a 3 stone over a 5 stone… I think matching sapphires is hard anyways, and doing round sapphires with a step cut center will not look as polished. It’ll cheapen the look, I think. I also think additional round diamonds will give a look like you cobbled the ring together from spare parts. Less intentional than the 3 stone you have going.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you do a 3 stone over a 5 stone… I think matching sapphires is hard anyways, and doing round sapphires with a step cut center will not look as polished. It’ll cheapen the look, I think. I also think additional round diamonds will give a look like you cobbled the ring together from spare parts. Less intentional than the 3 stone you have going.
Good points. I have played around with a graduated five stone layout with rounds using CZs and it looked pretty delish, but I’ll see how it goes when I have them. My ring size is very large and I feel like I need more coverage than a three stone of these proportions will give.

I love the proportions, I think they're spot on. But a 5 stone would be beyond delish - although I am a tad biased as 5 stones are my favourite :kiss2:

I have spent a lot of time perusing graduated five stone rings and yours is definitely one I have spent time looking at!! I do kind of agree with Niel on one level because ideally I think a graduate five stone with a 5mm round center would be better. Better than an EC center.

BrownGinger’s ring has this lovely detail on the shank, which is very pretty. I will need to ponder about how to maintain a clear aesthetic while also providing the horizontal coverage I like. Then again, sometimes a more delicately scaled ring can be very pretty and very wearable, which I am wanting.

IMG_1879.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a 3 stone with the sapphire EW?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a 3 stone with the sapphire EW?

Definitely a possibility. It feels more modern that way? I need to decide the design direction I want as I like both antique repro styles but also chunkier yellow gold styles that are very fashionable right now.

Once the diamonds arrive I will play around with layouts. I have been playing with the CZs I have but they don’t have the same depth that diamonds have so the look and feel isn’t exactly the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results