shape
carat
color
clarity

How to reset my original e-ring sapphire?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original engagement ring gem was a 0.92ct blue sapphire. I don’t know much about it as my husband chose it and we didn’t know much about gems at the time. I assume it is heated. It is a deep blue color that I think the trade calls “twilight”. It’s a very romantic name that I like for a gemstone that is very meaningful to me.

IMG_1821.jpeg

My sapphire is quite dark and can black out in some lighting. But it also has a pretty blue tone that I enjoy. When I used to wear it I got make compliments. Here is my gem when it was set with some EC diamonds back in 2007.

IMG_1817.jpeg

And looking a little darker.

IMG_1819.jpeg

She has been loose a gem jar for a decade now. I traded those ECs in ages ago. So she needs a new home so I can wear her and remember my young eager boyfriend (now husband of 16 years) proposing to me in bed because he just couldn’t wait.

I think I would like to pair her with some coloured gemstones. But what to choose? She is easily upstaged.

For example, she looks pretty with yellow but this chrysoberyl too easily out sparkles my sapphire. Better luster too.

IMG_1031.jpeg

I like her with these deep purple sapphires but they still out sparkle her. Perhaps a step cut would work better?

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

I would appreciate any ideas you have!

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well… that original setting she was in was just about perfect for her :kiss2:, it will be tough to beat.

If she’s easily upstaged, how about you give her the entire stage? You could dress her in an intricate setting with plenty of details, engraving, filigree, but no other gems, or at most some diamond melee accents. This way she won’t have to compete with the other sparkles.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I also like the original setting. It would also look pretty in a classic diamond halo! Maybe even white sapphire?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The original setting was pretty good. But I just don't like the way EC diamonds perform. Seems like a waste of such a dispersive material? Not to mention the $$$. But yeah, it was pretty nice. But the diamonds were traded and the setting was scrapped way back in 2008!

Yvonne does have a pair of very soft yellow EC cut sapphires that could work...

It sounds like @ItsMainelyYou and @Mreader , you both are leaning towards white or colorless types of stones. That just seems so boring though! :o

@Avondale that is a possibility!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What about aquamarine? You could have a setting similar to the lovely original one with emerald-cut aquas instead of diamonds. Aqua doesn't have a very high RI, so it won't be too flashy, and the colors would be nice together. Sky at noon, sky at twilight.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t give up on something colorful just yet. I personally liked your sapphire paired with the two purple rounds. :mrgreen:

But just for some fun inspiration, I did some poor photoshop pics for you.
IMG_9266.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 that is great! I am playing around with some CZs and other gemmies I have and I think if I do some kind of side stone then step cut or baguette is the way to go so minimize competing sparkle. I agree the blue looks lovely with purple :kiss2:

@glitterata lower RI could work! I am very afraid of damaging stones though...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the new ring has to be spectacular because that origional was to die for in my book
best of luck

just wanted to add your stone photographs really well (On my laptop anyway) it looks more of a lighter blue than twilight
i think the most important thing is choosing a setting where it wont black out (as my blue saphires all do)

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I really loved the original design. Classic, elegant! Elle has some super designs! Especially the one with the three pinks on the side!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The original setting was pretty good. But I just don't like the way EC diamonds perform. Seems like a waste of such a dispersive material? Not to mention the $$$. But yeah, it was pretty nice. But the diamonds were traded and the setting was scrapped way back in 2008!

Yvonne does have a pair of very soft yellow EC cut sapphires that could work...

It sounds like @ItsMainelyYou and @Mreader , you both are leaning towards white or colorless types of stones. That just seems so boring though! :o

@Avondale that is a possibility!

I didn’t even think of yellow sapphires - that’s an awesome idea bc blue and yellow go well together imho. Yellow diamonds would be stellar but there’s that out-sparkle factor you mentioned

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too favour CSs, and my immediate thought was for a darker pink red CS, like a Tourmaline.

However, I believe other CSs such as purple (Amethyst or Sapphire) or green (Tourmaline or Peridot) would also work.

Due to the Sapphire's cut and colour, perhaps a cabochon stone would suit better than a brilliant cut CS for a 2-stone ring - I would personally choose a pink red cabochon Tourmaline.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too favour CSs, and my immediate thought was for a darker pink red CS, like a Tourmaline.

However, I believe other CSs such as purple (Amethyst or Sapphire) or green (Tourmaline or Peridot) would also work.

Due to the Sapphire's cut and colour, perhaps a cabochon stone would suit better than a brilliant cut CS for a 2-stone ring - I would personally choose a pink red cabochon Tourmaline.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

I was thinking about cabochons for this. The main issue with the sapphire is it has poor crystal so it is not very transparent. And cabochon tend to be transparent .

I’m wondering if there are any weird gems out there that are interesting to look at but not super transparent? Maybe I just need to find poor quality side stone :lol-2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep falling into the same feedback loop that stops me from doing anything at all… the sapphire is meaningful to me and I want to wear it…. But it is not a high quality gem so I don’t want to invest much in setting it… so it sits lonely in a drawer.

The gem is basically 5x7 so it will fit into stock mounts at least.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Just because a gem isn’t expensive, doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to put it in an expensive dress.

Check this out:

3AF84C52-15B8-4E98-9338-D30F1EE9DA68.jpeg

This isn’t mine, it’s from my inspo folder. Antique, the sapphire is tiny and very much not impressive. But the ring itself is an exquisite masterpiece. If it was my style and something I would wear, I might even buy it. But you see my point, don’t you? Don’t limit yourself. Monetary value isn’t the only important factor, and I could argue sentimental value is worth much, much more.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Avondale you have inspired me. You are totally right and I need to stop being so hard on my sapphire!

And I think you may all be right that she needs diamond side stones. These are just CZs but it really looks sharp. I’m loving the step cut traps too. This could be a good time for my to dip my toe into the world of lab diamonds…

IMG_1861.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This isn’t mine, it’s from my inspo folder. Antique, the sapphire is tiny and very much not impressive. But the ring itself is an exquisite masterpiece. If it was my style and something I would wear, I might even buy it. But you see my point, don’t you? Don’t limit yourself. Monetary value isn’t the only important factor, and I could argue sentimental value is worth much, much more.

This.

@dreamer_dachsie , I'll give you the advice a wise jewelry friend gave me when I was trying to decide how to set a sentimental stone: Find a jeweler whose work you adore. Give them the stone and general instructions (e.g., "I'd like a solitaire not set very high" or "I love the rich, dark color of high karat gold") and see what they suggest. You love this stone, and you can love the ring it's in, too.

(I ended up finding the perfect antique setting, but if I hadn't, I would totally have taken that advice.)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just because a gem isn’t expensive, doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to put it in an expensive dress.

Check this out:

3AF84C52-15B8-4E98-9338-D30F1EE9DA68.jpeg

this is my favourite post of 2024 so far:kiss2:
(remember i am on the plus side of the date line so im on day two already:lol-2: )

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I need to stop being so hard on my sapphire!

For what it's worth, I think your sapphire is really pretty and definitely deserves the love and appreciation it gets.

You love this stone, and you can love the ring it's in, too.

This hits the nail right on the head. Put the stone in a ring you love and enjoy wearing it every time you put it on.

this is my favourite post of 2024 so far:kiss2:
(remember i am on the plus side of the date line so im on day two already:lol-2: )

A bit off-topic, but I would totally follow a thread with weekly updates of "Daisy's favourite posts". Just sayin'. :P2

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Avondale you have inspired me. You are totally right and I need to stop being so hard on my sapphire!

And I think you may all be right that she needs diamond side stones. These are just CZs but it really looks sharp. I’m loving the step cut traps too. This could be a good time for my to dip my toe into the world of lab diamonds…

IMG_1861.jpeg

Is this much different than its original setting?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If were willing to fw lab stones, I like this style IMG_4338.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this much different than its original setting?

Its not different, but that's not really the point. The original setting was traded in for an RB diamond in 2008 which I later sold to my BIL so I could go on an upgrade adventure. I had not real objection to the ring per se other than 16 years ago it felt wrong to invest so much in EC diamonds that didn't sparkle, and I had very limited bling funds. I am in a different financial position and feel differently about all this stuff now.

EDIT: hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have just kept the original as it was lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If were willing to fw lab stones, I like this style IMG_4338.jpeg

I feel very back and forth about lab stone, but that is an amazing ring, no doubt about that! Do you have other views by chance? Curious about those side stones, are they bullets?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a second I was contemplating something like this, which is a gorgeous suite of deeply toned stones. But the purples don’t hold up in my northern hemisphere daylight the way I would like so they won’t go in a ring. Still, purple and blue = yummy.

(I also cleaned by sapphire with one of those gem cloths and she perked right up! Much prettier.)

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel very back and forth about lab stone, but that is an amazing ring, no doubt about that! Do you have other views by chance? Curious about those side stones, are they bullets?

These are bullets, but not really the point. Could use straight bags, bullets, tapered bags…. Here’s one where they use melee- could also use a few frenches
IMG_4339.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous. I love it paired with the old cut diamond. And I prefer the bags to the rbs.

Those are honkin big stones in those examples. My sapphire is about 5.8x4.8mm, so not too huge. Would not be totally out of the question to maybe find a real diamond if I am willing to troll ebay again. Would likely be a round though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. I love it paired with the old cut diamond. And I prefer the bags to the rbs.

Those are honkin big stones in those examples. My sapphire is about 5.8x4.8mm, so not too huge. Would not be totally out of the question to maybe find a real diamond if I am willing to troll ebay again. Would likely be a round though.

Might be hard to find one that is exactly the right proportions. HOWEVER I have manifested crazier things just need some patience.

I agree something step cut on the sides like bags or bullets (bezeled to have that nice little bit of metal on the side would really elevate it) would be better than melee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results