shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you pay for a new setting?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be the scarcity? my anniversary ring has I believe 22 of them (I'd have to check the paperwork) color on them are F-G but I was lucky that they had those in stock. They're also quite small, and had I asked for a custom set (i.e., something bigger) , at the time, I would have paid heck of a lot more. That was a few years ago too so prices are probably higher now.
Not the best pics but should give some idea of the size.
_27929.jpg _27930.jpg
I love them actually want to set my brown diamond with them on the shank, but I hope they are affordable

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to stay in the 2K range. I am saving pennies to get my new OEC set and have it in a temporary setting for now.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the most I would be comfortable spending would be $6k. But it would have to be for my forever diamond and it would have to have some diamonds in the setting. I would not pay that much for just a plain solitaire. If the setting was $500 more (6.5k as opposed to 6k, I would go for it too. I figure if I'm already spending that much anyway may as well get exactly what I want for just a little more.
I recently recieved a quote for the Margot in platinum with a plain rose gold shank and it came in just under $5k. I thought that was a lot for a solitaire with no diamonds but I do love the design so who knows what I will decide? I may just go for it but I won't do it until later on this year or next year.
Im happy with my temp setting right now so I'm not in a rush to change it out just yet.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal max for settings (plat):
~$1.5k for a solitaire (no diamond sidestones)
~$5k for halo or setting with pave/sidestones

Luckily I tend to like the look of classic/simple styles instead of ornate settings so it makes things cheaper for me! :)

When I see diamond and gemstone rings at the Sotheby's auctions the settings tend to be simple settings as the value is in the center stone (e.g I tried on a $5m 5ct FIP diamond ring once there but the setting was a simple 3 stone with traps, nothing to write home about and setting was worth at most 6k) but I guess most buyers there would not be wearing those rings regularly nor are they buying them for primarily aesthetic purposes.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
15k for a setting!

WOW.

I am trying to imagine a 15k setting. The McTegue MC2 yellow gold Flora setting with carre cuts on the band would probably cost that much if not more.

I would do it for a 40k plus stone, probably. But not for a stone that is less than that, personally.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15k for a setting!

WOW.

I am trying to imagine a 15k setting. The McTegue MC2 yellow gold Flora setting with carre cuts on the band would probably cost that much if not more.

I would do it for a 40k plus stone, probably. But not for a stone that is less than that, personally.
Hi @LaylaR
Miss you lots!! Great to see you again! Sorry for threadjack!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the 15k setting. It is Erica Winters Minna. I absolutely adore it and have no doubt it has very fine craftsmanship and is of excellent quality. I just can't get myself to pay that much for a setting. For those of you who can, it is truly a beauty. Unknown-1.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the 15k setting. It is Erica Winters Minna. I absolutely adore it and have no doubt it has very fine craftsmanship and is of excellent quality. I just can't get myself to pay that much for a setting. For those of you who can, it is truly a beauty. Unknown-1.jpeg

It's a beautiful setting but I agree that the price tag is way too high.
I had no idea her work was so expensive. :confused2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a settings hoarder so for me it depends on what it is and who it was made by, that would dictate how much I would be willing to pay.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm seeing a very ordinary setting in that Minna picture above. I've never even heard of the jeweler - not that that means anything.

But seriously, it just looks like an ordinary solitaire with some diamonds along the shank. It's not even a sugar-encrusted Leon Mege or Canera-type creation. Fifteen thousand, for that? She must be laughing all the way to the bank.

If you're going to pour 15k into the setting, go for a Tiffany ring, which will at least retain great re-sale value. Who's ever heard of Erica Winters Minna?

Perhaps I just don't get it. Apologies if there's something I'm missing about this jeweler and about that - to me, painfully ordinary - ring!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, I think she is a very fine jeweler. She formerly worked with Grace of Jewels by Grace and also collaborated with CvB. I believe she is a craftsman of high quality, and she is certainly entitled to price her work according to her own standards. If you could see the picture up close you would see that there is very fine migraine and a lovely scallop to the head, and a small french cut stone on each side. But your right the setting is a cathedral with frenchies, albeit a lovely one.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you that her work is special, Luv. I'm just scratching my head over 15k for a setting, and one that's also not terribly ornate.

But hey, if you adore it, then it's worth it to you!

Do we know the color, clarity and weight of the pave?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you that her work is special, Luv. I'm just scratching my head over 15k for a setting, and one that's also not terribly ornate.

But hey, if you adore it, then it's worth it to you!

Do we know the color, clarity and weight of the pave?

No, it is not worth it to me. But it is lovely. I believe she said the starting price of 14,900 was for about a carat of french cuts. The setting in the picture had about a 4+ carat stone with a carat of frenchies. I was scratching my head at the cost as well. I don't want to criticize her or question her right to charge what she wishes. I don't understand the high cost and was wondering if others had a ceiling for setting costs like I do. I think a similar setting could be made for much less. A lot of french cut settings have graduated stones, which I would think would make the cost greater since they have to be cut to such exacting standards to fit right. These stones are all the same size so a parcel would work.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine even VC or LM charging $15,000 for that setting. :confused:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20170806_1307252.jpg
why my pictures are fuzzing so bad is something i can't explain (they look good everywhere else!) but thats hopefully a better image of the frenchies.

Anyway yes paperwork calls the stones ideal cut F-G VS there are 22 of them@ .90cts. Of the rounds there's 26 F-G VS single cut .30cts. My ring was done in 18K and not plat because of my budget at the time. For the curious, BE did my setting, which was one of their stock made to order settings at one time (not sure if it still is?) Personally I love it, they knocked it out of the park. Custom would have meant spending way more than the stone... hmmm I obviously need to make more money:P2:mrgreen2:

@luv2sparkle swoopies are pretty but they also cost a lot! Still waiting to win the lottery;)2

@Arkteia I think even a cast or even half cast settings can be costly depending on a number of factors. and especially if you're getting extremely clean and/or high color diamonds or using rare gemstones not normally used, they don't come cheap. Thankfully each has its own set of benefits depending on who you talk to.

Last edited:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya, I think she is a very fine jeweler. She formerly worked with Grace of Jewels by Grace and also collaborated with CvB. I believe she is a craftsman of high quality, and she is certainly entitled to price her work according to her own standards. If you could see the picture up close you would see that there is very fine migraine and a lovely scallop to the head, and a small french cut stone on each side. But your right the setting is a cathedral with frenchies, albeit a lovely one.

Erika Winters has never collaborated with CVB. I think you're thinking of Erica Derout formerly of Jewels by Erica Grace?

FWIW most french cuts are recuts from baguettes, however Erika uses Yoram who cuts french cuts from rough specifically for the project which may be why there is the added cost. I know from my project with David Michael Jewels that the custom cut OEC melee from Yoram (again from rough) added to the cost more so than the argyle pinks.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just guessing, but I think SS would charge that much. I got quoted $6750 for a platinum solitaire setting, no diamonds anywhere. I am glad I changed my mind about it being my dream setting.

I do think that setting is too pricey for my taste. But I had seen it IRL and fallen in love with it, and felt that no one else could execute it the way I wanted it, and I had enough money, I would get it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ROL, thank you very much for the clarification. You are right, I was thinking they were one in the same person. My mistake, thank you for correcting me!

LLJsmom, SS may be as much but they do have a few settings on their website that are much less, and include the center stone as well as french cuts.

Arcadian, I love your BE ring so much. They formerly had a ring they called the Dahlia which had a double halo with french cuts at 12-3-6-9. I stalked it, but then they removed it. I wish I had kept a picture of it to refer too. I am not sure how I would feel about a halo as a permanent setting for me, but I love them when I see it on others. If I could have many lovely diamond rings like some lucky ladies on PS, I would definitely have a huge AVR with a halo. That would be amazing. I need to win the lottery too!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erika Winters has never collaborated with CVB. I think you're thinking of Erica Derout formerly of Jewels by Erica Grace?

FWIW most french cuts are recuts from baguettes, however Erika uses Yoram who cuts french cuts from rough specifically for the project which may be why there is the added cost. I know from my project with David Michael Jewels that the custom cut OEC melee from Yoram (again from rough) added to the cost more so than the argyle pinks.

RoL, it's interesting to learn that Yoram cuts his Frenchies from rough. I would be curious to learn what differences there are, besides the price, in French cuts cut from faceted diamonds vs French cuts cut from rough? Is there quality/performance/other difference?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
RoL, it's interesting to learn that Yoram cuts his Frenchies from rough. I would be curious to learn what differences there are, besides the price, in French cuts cut from faceted diamonds vs French cuts cut from rough? Is there quality/performance/other difference?

I have no idea as I have not seen any in person. But to have something that is completely customized for your ring (start to finish) seems to be the epitome of couture, is it not? I know my OEC melee had to be cut exactly to specs otherwise it would not have fit in the drilled pave holes as the oecs had to be ordered after the pave holes were made. If they weren't made exact, I'd be in a pickle would have been ringless for our anniversary trip.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea as I have not seen any in person. But to have something that is completely customized for your ring (start to finish) seems to be the epitome of couture, is it not? I know my OEC melee had to be cut exactly to specs otherwise it would not have fit in the drilled pave holes as the oecs had to be ordered after the pave holes were made. If they weren't made exact, I'd be in a pickle would have been ringless for our anniversary trip.

@Resonance.Of.Life Will we ever see this famed beauty!?!?!? The suspense is agonizing!! :lol:

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Another thing to consider is the style of French cut (FC) diamonds you like. From photos I've seen, there seem to be three types of FCs: checkboard (low crown, single crown corner faceting), maltese cross (high crown, split crown corner faceting), and x (high crown, single crown corner faceting).

CvB, DK, LAD, SS use low crown checkerboard FCs, while SK, LM, GOG, BE, EW use high crown x FCs. VC and JbG use both low crown checkboard and high crown maltese cross FCs. EW has written she uses both single and split crown French cuts, but I do not recall seeing split crown FCs in her pieces.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skii, that is interesting. It does give some perspective. French cuts may just be out of my league. If they had been more popular or I had seen more of them when I originally had my ring made, I would have gone for it. I know MissyDebby had some in her ring that was done at the same time. I just do not want to keep spending thousands on a setting at this point in my life.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness. I'll never be getting a high dome split corner french cut band then :cry2: I wouldn't have picked that $15k setting being the EW Minna but I guess custom cut frenchies put the cost up.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm wondering if maybe $15,000 Setting cost was a deterrent from wanting work with you? I'm not saying that is the case here, but I have heard in other cases in other industries of vendors giving a price they know to be totally out of line to scare the customer off of jobs they don't want to do.

I have seen cases in the past where people have posted about quotes from certain PS vendors and that is what I thought was going on. In this case the disparity between VC and EW might be explained by this. Just a thought.

The opposite happens in certain industries as well, where a vendor will underbid and do the work at a loss to put it on their resume for future opportunities.

Going back to the OP, myself I don't think I could pay more that 3000 for a setting. Maybe 5 for something hand forged. But the settings being discussed here are not my taste. If they were, I'd pay the premium for french cuts.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, since you mentioned possibly buying the french cuts separately, DBL is selling a set of 1.09 ctw G VS tapered french cuts by Yoram for $7,000.
Diamond Parcel: 1.09ctw G VS French Cut Diamonds R7238
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...-parcel-109ctw-g-vs-french-cut-diamonds-r7238

Is it me or is the pricing on these (or the stated carat weight) off? Grace has a higher weight parcel, similar colour range and clarity, also cut by Yoram for less than half this price! And hers is for less stones (12 vs 7), so presumably there's a premium on hers as each stone is a higher carat weight and hence more expensive. Maybe I'm missing something?

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-17ctw-french-cut-diamond-parcel

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results