shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you pay for a new setting?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question: What is it that makes French cuts so expensive? They're gorgeous but I don't know where the premium comes from. Could someone explain?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I don't think I'm at all naturally stylish either - I'm very much still learning what I really like in jewellery! tbh I think I'm a bit weird with halos - there's something about the texture or busy-ness of the small multiple stones that doesn't appeal much. I enjoy looking at other people's halos like I enjoy ideal cut MRBs but they're just not for me.
I do really like calibre set halos (think deco target ring) so maybe it's just ones with RB melee that don't do it for me?
Coloured stones are something I don't know much about - would love to see the ones you're getting. I think halos of contrasting or white stones look pretty good with coloured stones - they really make them pop.
Also I really wouldn't worry about making a mistake - if you like them and think they look great, you're the only person whose opinion should matter - they're for you!

Fox, I've just done a thread on my new halo'd color stone pieces: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/amethyst-blue-topaz-diamond-bow.232434/#post-4194821

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MCII? I still can't work out what that is.

Yes, a properly done angled halo can be magnificent

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is from MCII. They don't use outside stones, but if you do the math (subtract the price of the stone) much of the price of their pieces goes to the craftsmanship, or you could call it the setting. Given the quality of their work, I consider it money well-spent.

That being said, I prefer small stones and a less "blingy" look, so I wouldn't be considering a tradeoff between a larger stone or a more expensive setting.

oooo :kiss2::kiss2:... and when I win the lottery they're on my list:mrgreen2: at the moment though I don't wear jewelery enough to justify it. One day maybe...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question: What is it that makes French cuts so expensive? They're gorgeous but I don't know where the premium comes from. Could someone explain?

Could be the scarcity? my anniversary ring has I believe 22 of them (I'd have to check the paperwork) color on them are F-G but I was lucky that they had those in stock. They're also quite small, and had I asked for a custom set (i.e., something bigger) , at the time, I would have paid heck of a lot more. That was a few years ago too so prices are probably higher now.
Not the best pics but should give some idea of the size.
_27929.jpg _27930.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they use a lot of rough in their making so the yield from a single piece of rough diamond is lower if cutting French cuts compared to other cuts. Can't think why they would be otherwise!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have a hard time paying 15K for a setting alone. I'd say 8K would probably be my max, and that would have to be a heavily bespoked ring with custom cut stones, immaculate filigree, and the finest of milgrain - lol.

As for halos, I LOVE them. Love love love them. When done with the right proportions, they really highlight the diamond/center stone. That being said, if they are done wrong, it definitely makes it look like you were trying to "fake" a larger stone. I own four or five halo'd rings and they are by far my favorites :mrgreen2:

I think 8k is about my limit too. I love bespoke settings as well and I love very fine work. I think you can get quite a lot of that at the 8K mark. 15k for a setting seems ridiculous to me and very over priced for a very simple-ish setting. Scalloped basket with channel set frenchies and nice migraine. Plus, the setting STARTED at 15K. I love that it is a sturdier setting than my current 3 sided pave.

I love the artwork of MC2. Their jewelry is perfection. But the thing is, this is a ring I want to wear a lot. Maybe everyday. The problem with wearing artwork on your finger is it can get damaged. So to me, those pieces that are special and come with super high priced settings, probably shouldn't be worn everyday~just to preserve the beauty of them.

I am really not even sure that I want to spend another 8K on a new setting. I wish I could try on the style of ring with french cuts to see how much I actually like them in real life. I can't even count the times I have seen a setting I loved in pictures and then tried it on, and didn't like it quite so much. I am afraid to buy something like that sight unseen.

I just really wanted to see what you all thought. I almost choked when I read that email and wondered if others thought that was a crazy amount of money for a setting as well. 15K certainly could be upgrade money if you wanted to do that.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they use a lot of rough in their making so the yield from a single piece of rough diamond is lower if cutting French cuts compared to other cuts. Can't think why they would be otherwise!

As far as I understand there can also be a greater loss of weight for newly cut French cuts because modern french cuts are sometimes cut from ready-cut diamonds (eg elongated French cuts can be cut from modern baguette diamonds) and not always directly from rough. So you have to calculate for that lost weight, too.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't really think so. The two vendors are pretty much matched as far as quality is concerned and skill level. $6400 is a huge difference for proportion and flow if that was the case. Both settings are hand forged. Being hand forged is not all that important to me. If a setting with slightly graduated french cut sides could be cast, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I do love the milgrain edges though.

If the $15k quote from a vendor like MC2, i think it's more for the artistry which I greatly admire. Else, I have also heard that some vendors turn down work indirectly by quoting a high price if they aren't confident or comfortable going forward.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think in many cases they're custom cut to fit the specific center stone and setting.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW a few months ago I received a 10K+ quote from MC2 for one of their iron/platinum Flora settings, without pave... I *really* love the setting but will not pay that kind of money for it. Even if I received a windfall I don't think I would go for it...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4k is my limit for a setting. Maybe 5k if it was super special, but I'd say no more than 4k generally speaking,

P

PierreBear

Wow... I didn't even know that settings could be that costly. Does anyone have a picture of MC2 to just put it into perspective of where the craftmanship and fees are going into? Not saying that the fee isn't worth it but just didn't have that type of concept.

I don't know if others think this way but it makes sense that the setting is a % of the stone. Now if the stone was 100K etc then 15K on the setting might make sense. But if the stone value was only $5K, then no I couldn't spend more on the setting. Of course this is a gross exaggeration but it's just how I think about the entire package as the stone can be resold or reused more easily than the setting.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is from MC2, then you're also paying for their ethical efforts - https://www.mc2jewels.com/sustainability

I do admire that they do this and understand the increased prices because of it. However, it's like organic food (which I'm a big believer in too)... you have to be willing to pay more for the betterment of the environment, responsible practices, health benefits, and so forth. For me, organic purchases happen all of the time and directly impact my health so I see it as a worthwhile spend. A ring... not so much. If I had limitless funds I'd spend for it, sure, but a 25%-50% increase in price (compared to what other well-qualified vendors would charge) is more than I can mentally justify.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No skin in the game here. Just a FC addict. For custom french cuts you have to remember that they're cutting down larger stones to get the perfect FC diamonds so you are paying for the larger diamond. Because I'm an addict, I would pay that much for a perfectly made FC setting.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are probably right, Athenaworth. The french cuts were of about a carat weight. I am sure that is what is meant by the 'starting @' price. The original of this ring held a 4-5 carat diamond with that weight in frenchies, so my little 2.57 wouldn't need any more than that.
Vendors can certainly charge what they want to. I have no problem with them setting the price they want to get. I just wondered if everyone had their own personal threshold and what it was. The vendor with the high price tag does beautiful work, but I am not sure it is on par with MC2. Maybe.
The vendor with the 8500 price tag was VC. I think I would have no qualms with any jewelry he makes. His pieces are beautiful.
I love CvB's Riviera eternity @ $3695. I was thinking maybe I could combine the Dahlia or Jovyn head with a cathedral style band using those stones. I would come way under 15k, that is for sure and probably not even up to 8K.
The 15k ring is lovely, no question. I just don't think it is a very good use of my bling money. For me, the value isn't there.

ROL, I love that MC2 ring. Wow, is that gorgeous. I don't think I could get myself to spend 15k for it though. But wow, is it stunning!

Arcadian, your ring is gorgeous! That is a similar style to the ring I love, but the basket has all manner of swoopiness going on, and two little french cuts on each side. I love your ring!

My other thought was to buy the french cuts ahead of time. Jewels by grace often has a small suite available. Buying them ahead might take some of the sting out of the entire setting cost.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely love to own something like this from MC2, maybe with a little bigger diamond. It is gorgeous and under 2k!
9369_A.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I would do to have even a 15k diamond.

So I cannot even fathom just the setting for that budget.

But, my budget isn't your budget. Maybe you already have a paid-off house and car, plenty of savings, retirement, health and life insurance, etc.

If you have your other bases covered, and you want a super expensive setting - "you go, girl!" I'll be excited to see it.

But for me, no way.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I would do to have even a 15k diamond.

So I cannot even fathom just the setting for that budget.

But, my budget isn't your budget. Maybe you already have a paid-off house and car, plenty of savings, retirement, health and life insurance, etc.

If you have your other bases covered, and you want a super expensive setting - "you go, girl!" I'll be excited to see it.

But for me, no way.

Ringo, while I could afford it, I don't think I would spend that much on a setting-just wanted to see if anyone else thought that was a crazy high price for a setting. I don't know where you are in life, but I didn't get a significant upgrade until my 30th wedding anniversary. I did still have kids in college but we managed it. My first upgrade was to a 10k stone and then was lucky enough a year or so later to be able to upgrade one last time. My avatar was my dream setting, but over the last 7 years it has sustained a bit of damage and I have lost some weight, so I may have to get a different one, but chances are, it won't be a super high dollar setting either.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
I would go with Victor Canera, and I'm the one who brought up MCII in the first place. You have a very good idea of what you want, and he is a very skilled artist.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a quote one time from MC2 for an antique style solitaire setting that was fairly simple and non-distinctive (as in not the flora which is kind of their signature design) and the quote was around $7500! CRAZY! Caysie (and others) could make one equal to that one easily at half the price! I won't generally pay a mark-up for brand name (although an antique Cartier or VCA or Tiffany might tempt me if the price was right!).

Now to your question, $15k is insane when Victor will make it for $8500. I still think that is a lot for a setting, but I understand the cost of the french cuts. Victor has made that setting before, and I wouldn't pay a penny more than that for it. I am scratching my head about the $15k! I wouldn't care if that particular ring was cast as long as the french cuts were great, so I'd get a quote from Caysie, too, since her design skills are top notch.

I have paid in the $4k+ range for a halo setting before. It's gorgeous, but I'd be hard pressed to pay over $5k for a setting unless it had significant diamonds (which the ring from Victor would).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more than 3K as my engagement ring isn't that great a stone.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see paying 15k for three stone setting with 2ctw side stones included.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money were no object, yeah I would consider a $15K setting if I really wanted it. But my mindset would be completely different if money were no object. That implies that I generally have money to burn.

Based on my current budget constraints, no I would not consider a $15K setting, no matter how much I liked it.

But everyone is different. Like others have said, if you value the artistry, then it would be worth it to you. It depends on what each person values. Personally, I would have no problem having Victor make it, but of course I am biased.

I can't wait to see your new setting. I am sure it will beautiful whoever makes it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the stone. If it were the alexandrite I once saw but did not buy, a beautiful cushion (but the price he quoted was 60K so I retreated in haste, so to say)...well, if I had such a stone, or a Windex blue paraiba I once saw...maybe. But I do not have the money to spend on such stones, so, no setting for 15K.

I wonder if I am overspending on cheap settings, though. If people are quoting super expensive prices for cast settings, probably, I am.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results