shape
carat
color
clarity

How much is enough for a engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the pic I have here at work. It doesn't show my entire hand as I don't normally take pix that show my entire hands...they aren't my favorite feature. My hands are wide with longer fingers. Of course no one sees this but me...but I know it's true.
1.gif
My stone is 1.23c with the diameter of 1.35c, so it looks like a 1.35c. I'm 5'8" btw.

Ring Sparkle on Hand2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to consider if one is on a budget & need to accomadate larger fingers is a three stone ring (perhaps w/ side sapphires or side pear shaped diamonds) or a setting that sits up higher on the finger.

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
*shrug*...I think you have beautiful hands, Mara. Thanks for the pic. What is your ring size?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My left hand ring size for this finger is a 6. My knuckles are larger so the ring spins a bit but smaller than 6 would not get it past the knuckle. It doesn't fit on my other hand, same finger--too small
sad.gif

My FI likes my hands too, but they have never been my favorite feature. I've always wanted small dainty hands. When I hear that someone has a size 4 ring..I am very envious!
2.gif

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
Yikes...my gf wears a size 7 on the left finger! I never thought her hands/fingers were large, but I have never seen another woman of her same stature that wears a size 7. If you think your hands are large, I would hate to hear what you thought of my gal's!!!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
" I know that some women do lay down the rule that if boyfriend doesn't buy me an X carat stone, then I won't marry him, and that mindset makes me sick."

that is true.. my husband proposed ringlessly and i accepted. i just got my e-ring a few weeks ago and we were married in August.

Quite a few of my family & friends openly questioned my lack of ring. i got a garnet for an interim ring because i wasn't sure what i wanted... they(and i guess, subconsciously, me too) were still looking for *the diamond*.

it's hardwired(for ill or for good) in us, to a certain extent, in the US... every holiday since girlhood we see those DeBeer's commercials(with the black backdrop, glittering rocks, and dramatic music)... and the two month salary guideline.

that's why i was shocked to read the FAQ i posted earlier today, citing one-month's salary and an average of $1500-$1700 USD for a ring... i'm not disgustedly shocked or anything... just surprised.

i just always assumed it was more... even if the guy had to go into credit debt.

anyway, i do have to admit that even though i consider myself non-traditional, it was rattling around in my head that i wasn't a 'proper married gal' without a diamond for some reason.

cultural conditioning , i know .

it *is* nice, shiny, & purty tho'!
9.gif

maybe my kids will be spared some of the pressure, since diamond e-rings aren't really the thing here. or maybe i'll just pass on my American hangups.
LOL!
wacko.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla...some American hangups are fun to pass on
2.gif

PE..my hands are wide, my fingers are long and somewhat thin. So it's really more the wideness of my hand that bothers me, my fingers are fine. However, I can easily wear a 7 on the left side ring hand, in fact my 'fun' rings used to be 7's. I thought I was a 7! But when we started seriously sizing my finger for the e-ring, we realized that I could easily wear a 6 or 6.5 without it being too loose (large knuckles). I don't know if that is not the norm, but I can still easily wear a 7 and not have it fall off.
2.gif
On the other side of weird, a few times we sized me and I was a 5.75 on that same left finger! But other times, I couldn't get the sizing ring on. So we settled on 6 as a nice medium..hoping it wouldn't be too small. It works fine, but I am concerned in the summer when my finger swells it will be uncomfortable. I don't like tight, constricting feeling things. I also take it off at night because my finger swells and it feels too tight.

I have a fun ring I wear sometimes on my index finger and/or thumb that is an 8!
1.gif
I also want to point out that most times we are harder on ourselves than others are on us. So while I feel as though my hands are not my best feature and they bother me, I am sure 99% of the rest of the world would never notice. I even get compliments on my hands often. Doesn't matter...I still don't like em!

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
does anyone know what the average ring size is for a man on the left ring finger?

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Mara,
Wow thats a pretty ring, is it possible for you to post pic of ring sideways since I am interested to know how princess diamond looks that way,
thx

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Flyguy,

You may find Mara's picture threads to be of use to you...

Hope this helps.
1.gif

-Tim

[/u][/u]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting that Tim! BTW Fly...my ring is a round brilliant set in a 4 prong which can sometimes give it the appearance of a square stone. Other times it looks very round!
1.gif
Depends on the lighting. The links that Tim posted have a few pix of the ring sideways, hope that helps!

1.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
four-prong rocks! i really like the squarish effect too!
wacko.gif

diamond boy

Rough_Rock
It's the gesture that really matters! My dad offered my mom the choice of a ring or a canoe!!! Guess which one she chose? This might be an unusual circumstance but my parents were both about the FLOWER POWER back then. He did end up getting her a ring eventually, but it wasnt important to her when the got married!

Keep it real!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results